2020 Texas Early Voting Numbers

StassneyHorn

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I had a great friend at Bates who was from Japan.  Honestly one of the most entertaining people I've known in my life. But good lord he could give my grandfather's country cousin's a run for the money in the racism department. I think because I was from Texas he figured it was okay to say it to me when we'd smoke bowls.

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

yes, having lived in japan and experienced racism against myself and my friends was pretty eye opening. but they REALLY hate africans. and they REALLY REALLY hate any other asian culture. i've told this story before, but i remember meeting up with a random group of f1 fans at our pub with a friend of mine. it was a dude and two chicks, all japanese. the dude spoke pretty good english, one girl had broken english, but not so bad, and the third girl had no english. anyways, we ended up at an izakaya next door to the pub, and this guy was really fucking funny. like he understood western sarcasm. hard to describe, i reckon, but you know it when you see it. he had a subtlety of humor that most with ESL just simply don't get. 

anyways, he made some joke or another at the expense of the girl who spoke english, to which she took some obvious offense. now, in western cultures, this joke would have been viewed just as funny shit talking. i forget the joke, but it was a joke you make amongst friends to give each other shit. if that makes sense. anyways, she did not find it funny. her response was to turn to us and tell us "please excuse him, his grandmother was korean." deadpan, not a joke. the implication was somewhere in the vicinity of "his mother was a comfort woman during wwii." it was nasty and it had the desired effect. he looked like he swallowed a bug. it was so openly racist, my friend and i had no idea how to react.

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

What's weird is the white supremacy aspect to their racism. They see whites as being better than themselves in a weird way.

Pretty fucked up.

i think with chinese and maybe other asian cultures the issue is that they are acting like they would expect immigrants in their country to act. submissive, respectful, and please let me survive and make money.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i think with chinese and maybe other asian cultures the issue is that they are acting like they would expect immigrants in their country to act. submissive, respectful, and please let me survive and make money.

No, I don't think it's quite like that, at least not with the Chinese. Because I see something similar even within China proper. Yes, I'll get quoted a price 10x what a local would be quoted, but they'll also want to pose for pictures with me like I'm a fucking celebrity. And the "pale = good" applies to their own beauty and professional standards as well.

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

No, I don't think it's quite like that, at least not with the Chinese. Because I see something similar even within China proper. Yes, I'll get quoted a price 10x what a local would be quoted, but they'll also want to pose for pictures with me like I'm a fucking celebrity. And the "pale = good" applies to their own beauty and professional standards as well.

yeah, that last part is true throughout asia. "pale = good" is absolutely the attitude.

but man, we would be hanging out on a street corner in japan on our bikes, and we would constantly get harassed to show our gaijin card.

I never expected this to be the thread that addressed such topics, but as a guy who was once engaged to a Korean and is married to a Filipina (dated Japanese as well... I’m old and have been around, not just a horny dude with an Asian fetish), I’ve never seen such shit talking as goes on between the different Asian nationalities. Lots of self-hate, too. And I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but it seems to be impossible for an Asian woman to see another Asian (in person or in media) and not play, “What Variety of Asian are They?”

How about those vote totals!

• Hook 'Em 1

For the fretting about Valley counties not voting, it seems like some of the more white, middle of nowhere counties are experiencing the same thing in areas with gerrymandered-to-shit districts that have a little more sensibility than to vote for a guy like Trump and don’t have a competitive house race.

Unrelated, the TX-21 districts outside Bexar and Travis are all above 44% already. I know a ton of people who have moved to New Braunfels in the last 4 years. Will be interesting to see how comparatively less red it may be after Election Day. 

Edited by StassneyHorn

28 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I never expected this to be the thread that addressed such topics, but as a guy who was once engaged to a Korean and is married to a Filipina (dated Japanese as well... I’m old and have been around, not just a horny dude with an Asian fetish), I’ve never seen such shit talking as goes on between the different Asian nationalities. Lots of self-hate, too. And I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but it seems to be impossible for an Asian woman to see another Asian (in person or in media) and not play, “What Variety of Asian are They?”

Hispanics don't really like each other.  I heard a Mexican guy make fun of Cubans for downing trying to get to the US, I have heard a Venezuelan guy get very proud of his "pure blood" Spaniard lineage.   Mexican-Americans shitting on Mexican immigrants.    These were not isolated incidents sadly.   

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, that last part is true throughout asia. "pale = good" is absolutely the attitude.

but man, we would be hanging out on a street corner in japan on our bikes, and we would constantly get harassed to show our gaijin card.

I might guess that it's because Asians were so culturally isolated for so long.  They interacted, via war mostly, only with other Asian cultures, thereby accounting for their general purpose hatred of one another.

That same cultural isolation led them to become rather primitive by the "modern era."

Then the white devils showed up in force in the 19th century and really changed things up for them, especially in material and technological ways.  And kicked the shit out of them on multiple occasions.

So, they I think have a certain cultural awe of the gweilo and gaijin,

Also, funny you mention the "white" as a desireable beauty standard.  That seems to be fairly universal in maybe all cultures (light is right) and seems to be implicitly laid at the feet of white colonizers imposing their standards.  But I'm not sure that's right.  Look at Geisha:  powdered sheet white and I don't think that had anything at all to do with the European invasion.

Edited by TwiceHorn

41 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Hispanics don't really like each other.  I heard a Mexican guy make fun of Cubans for downing trying to get to the US, I have heard a Venezuelan guy get very proud of his "pure blood" Spaniard lineage.   Mexican-Americans shitting on Mexican immigrants.    These were not isolated incidents sadly.   

Yeah, I was friends with a guy from Ecuador, and he would shit on Mexicans all day.  He called them the “trash” of Latin America and they were scum and dirt compared to every other Latin country. 

I was just baffled yet had so many questions as it was the first time I heard something like that. 

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, funny you mention the "white" as a desireable beauty standard.  That seems to be fairly universal in maybe all cultures (light is right) and seems to be implicitly laid at the feet of white colonizers imposing their standards.  But I'm not sure that's right.  Look at Geisha:  powdered sheet white and I don't think that had anything at all to do with the European invasion.

I’ve heard no country has more plastic surgery than South Korea, with many if not most of the women with any money getting nose jobs to create a more Euro “white” look. Yes, I heard this from my shit-talking Pinoy wife.

That Williamson County is something else!

Edited to add this link, I guess it’s not just shit-talking. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/korea-plastic-surgery_l_5d72afb0e4b07521022c00e1

Today, South Korea is widely considered the “plastic surgery capital of the world, boasting the highest number of cosmetic procedures per capita worldwide, with more than 600 clinics in Seoul alone. In a 2011 report, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery estimated that nearly 650,000 cosmetic procedures were performed in South Korea that year. South Korea’s international plastic surgery clientele has expanded significantly as well: About 50,000 foreign patients received plastic surgery in the country last year, paying a collective sum of $189 million for double eyelid surgeries, double jaw surgeries (a procedure that cuts and rearranges the upper and lower jawbones to create a slimmer jawline) and other various facial and body modifications.

Edited by Vito Andolini

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might guess that it's because Asians were so culturally isolated for so long.  They interacted, via war mostly, only with other Asian cultures, thereby accounting for their general purpose hatred of one another.

That same cultural isolation led them to become rather primitive by the "modern era."

Then the white devils showed up in force in the 19th century and really changed things up for them, especially in material and technological ways.  And kicked the shit out of them on multiple occasions.

So, they I think have a certain cultural awe of the gweilo and gaijin,

I'll just say much of the cultural awe has dissipated in our lifetime and is pretty much non-existent in certain Asian countries right now. If anything it's going back the other way at this point as countries like South Korea have exported much of their pop culture to other parts of the world.  

The whiteness is more about social hierarchy in the past. If you were dark it meant you were more likely to be a commoner/farmer status. "Whiteness" implied you had a higher social standing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, I was friends with a guy from Ecuador, and he would shit on Mexicans all day.  He called them the “trash” of Latin America and they were scum and dirt compared to every other Latin country. 

I was just baffled yet had so many questions as it was the first time I heard something like that. 

Had an ex-gf whose family was from South America, and this was her family's attitude.  They really saw themselves as some kind of "pure" Spanish thing.   I pointed out to her that if they've got ancestors going back a few centuries, there's no way in hell they are somehow 100% European Spanish, and she just shrugged and said it's a thing the old people want to believe.  They were also fine with her dating a white guy, but yeah, no way they'd accept a Mexican.

Uhh...back to the topic, saw she early voted for the Ds, but her dad voted Trump. 

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

42% average among those counties with a full week to go in EV and who knows more mail in votes, I'm routing for 75% statewide turnout. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility

We would need to average a little over 2% a day in turnout over the rest of early voting to have a shot I think. We would then need 18% on election day, which is doable. 

Edited by Dahobbs

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think 55% turnout at the end of early voting is a reasonable prediction. This weekend and next week are going to be very light, something around an average of 2% per day would be a solid turnout, imo.

To be clear i was including election day. I'm sorta predicting a lull over previous years or at least stagnation due to not EV time and increased mail in voting

Years ago, in the early '90s I took real estate classes at ACC and the day the instructor was going over the rules about anti-discrimination in renting a young Asian girl blurted out, "I would never rent to Asians."  The instructor told her she couldn't do that because of the anti-discrimination rules we had just learned. The young Asian said, "But since I'm Asian it would not be considered discrimination."  Even after the instructor told her it is still discrimination I could tell she still didn't believe it. 

13 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

El Paso needs to wake the hell up.

It only had 34% ev vote in 2016. And it is already surpassed its # of ev votes from 2016 by 10,000. So, it is still on pace to see really good improvement from 2016, and really from every year since 1992 when it had 64% total turnout. The county hasn't topped 50% since then. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

I worked with a Mexican girl from Guadalajara who was a super smart engineer and well liked at Disney. Well one day she is off by herself crying because of the things the Argentinean tour group of 15 year olds were saying about Mexicans.

Of course saying that you should see what my Mexican inlaws say about Guatemalans, Hondurans, and Salvadorans. 

15 minutes ago, yoladu said:

latest from Travis County - early voting totals after 11 days

total votes : 399,954

% of registered voters who have voted : 46.77%

https://countyclerk.traviscountytx.gov/images/pdfs/election_results/2020.11.03/G20_Daily_Totals_Oct23.pdf

7 more days of early voting to go

Travis County's turnout is even more impressive when you consider it is basically the same percentage of the entire voting age population. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Can we maybe take this race stuff to some other thread?

No?

Ok I guess it doesn't hurt me any.

I hoped we would have 33% total turnout after this week and Texas not only broke 33% turnout but shattered it. 51% in Williamson County is pretty exciting. Really hope to see 75% in Williamson County and 70% statewide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yes, having lived in japan and experienced racism against myself and my friends was pretty eye opening. but they REALLY hate africans. and they REALLY REALLY hate any other asian culture. i've told this story before, but i remember meeting up with a random group of f1 fans at our pub with a friend of mine. it was a dude and two chicks, all japanese. the dude spoke pretty good english, one girl had broken english, but not so bad, and the third girl had no english. anyways, we ended up at an izakaya next door to the pub, and this guy was really fucking funny. like he understood western sarcasm. hard to describe, i reckon, but you know it when you see it. he had a subtlety of humor that most with ESL just simply don't get. 

anyways, he made some joke or another at the expense of the girl who spoke english, to which she took some obvious offense. now, in western cultures, this joke would have been viewed just as funny shit talking. i forget the joke, but it was a joke you make amongst friends to give each other shit. if that makes sense. anyways, she did not find it funny. her response was to turn to us and tell us "please excuse him, his grandmother was korean." deadpan, not a joke. the implication was somewhere in the vicinity of "his mother was a comfort woman during wwii." it was nasty and it had the desired effect. he looked like he swallowed a bug. it was so openly racist, my friend and i had no idea how to react.

I did something almost as bad unintentionally.  We had a Korean man who was a custodian in our office building.  He spoke almost no English and did not say anything except hello. We communicated with pictures and sign language  I learned he like to go the coast by him drawing a picture of a redfish fin sticking out of the water.

Anyway, what I did is ask him if he was Japanese because he had Japanese facial characteristics.  When I learned he was Korean I apologized profusely because I knew what I had done. 

Not as much as old white dudes like to play that game though. My Korean wife gets asked "Where are you from?" constantly by older, white men. When she replies "Colorado", she then gets the fun follow up of "But where are you FROM from" or "Where is your family from?", which is especially fun because her family is white folks with English ancestry.

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It doesn't mean we shouldn't fight racism at home, but anyone who tries to tell you that the USA is the most or even close to the most racist country in the world simply hasn't traveled much if at all. 

Now back to early voting. 

I hear you and not to get off topic, but when people talk about racism in America they typically aren't referring to individual, day to day interactions amongst people. They're talking about structural issues, and in particular with blacks, how they have been segregated out of greater society pretty much since their enslavement ended.  If the only issue was about individuals talking shit about each other a lot fewer people would give a shit.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

And back to original topic. Everything I've read about the 2016 said Asians came out in favor of Clinton at anywhere from a 65 to & 75% clip depending on which data interpretation you're looking at. And when you break it down further into different segments only Vietnamese and Cambodians came out in favor of Trump. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

^^^
why does it crack me up inside to picture Trump at a rally, pointing to someone off camera and saying, “Look at my beautiful Cambodians over here.”

2 hours ago, immamac said:

America deserves what it gets if there's only 67% turnout. 

I mean, it would be the highest turnout since 1992 by a significant margin. We literally haven't broken 60% registered voters turnout since then. And, in 1992 only 65% of eligible voters were registered versus 78% this year.   67% registered voter turnout would be damn good for us. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I mean, it would be the highest turnout since 1992 by a significant margin. We literally haven't broken 60% registered voters turnout since then. And, in 1992 only 65% of eligible voters were registered versus 78% this year.   67% registered voter turnout would be damn good for us. 

Yeah the US hasn’t had above 66% since the 1900 election. 67% would be a big deal.