Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

17 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

I believe I recall @closetojumpingaccusing you of having some car like this with an over-sized spoiler and extra rice burning capabilities.  Do I have that right?

Accusing? Sure. Of course this is the same poster who insists he is still teddy lehman fast, teddy Lehman svelte, and not prone to funny dog ownership that he doesn’t carry around with him in his murse. 

but why bring reality into the hilarious fun of the internet?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Accusing? Sure. Of course this is the same poster who insists he is still teddy lehman fast, teddy Lehman svelte, and not prone to funny dog ownership that he doesn’t carry around with him in his murse. 

but why bring reality into the hilarious fun of the internet?

I swear my intention was not to instigate, but that being the unintended outcome has me here for it.  😂

his first year at Arizona was 2021. in the 2021 247 Team Talent Composite, Arizona was ranked #66, just slightly ahead of USF and Rutgers and just behind Boise St and Wake Forest. they had 3 4* players on the roster.
for comparison, Arizona State was at #26.
Sumlin went 5-7 his first year then 4-13 in the next two before he was fired after losing 70-7 vs Arizona State. Arizona State was up 63-7 at the end of 3 quarters.
it was a BAD situation to be walking into.
...he still would be a bad hire for A&M.

It’s no secret that Arizona is known for great pool parties. Perhaps they think they can theirs to the next level with Fisch?
  • Haha 2

his first year at Arizona was 2021. in the 2021 247 Team Talent Composite, Arizona was ranked #66, just slightly ahead of USF and Rutgers and just behind Boise St and Wake Forest. they had 3 4* players on the roster.
for comparison, Arizona State was at #26.
Sumlin went 5-7 his first year then 4-13 in the next two before he was fired after losing 70-7 vs Arizona State. Arizona State was up 63-7 at the end of 3 quarters.
it was a BAD situation to be walking into.
...he still would be a bad hire for A&M.

It’s no secret that Arizona is known for great pool parties. Perhaps they think they can theirs to the next level with Fisch?

17 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry (IT) reiterates that aggy ‘has their guy’ and that it’s a current P5 HC. 

Looch says that it’s not Fisch. 

Football Scoop reporting that Jonathan Smith is the sole focus of Michigan St. 

Duke sources believe Elko is returning. 

Do I have to spell it out... It's Sark

• Haha 1

How active and passionate about recruiting are assistant coaches when the head coach and man who hired them has been fired? 

There aren't many incentives to press for recruits that I can think of. Maybe you can draw a big recruit away to your new school? Recruiting is the least favorite aspect of college coaching as far as I know.

I feel like I've read about assistants abandoning recruiting just about all together as their attention turns to finding a new job somewhere else. Anybody have any insight?

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How active and passionate about recruiting are assistant coaches when the head coach and man who hired them has been fired? 

There aren't many incentives to press for recruits that I can think of. Maybe you can draw a big recruit away to your new school? Recruiting is the least favorite aspect of college coaching as far as I know.

I feel like I've read about assistants abandoning recruiting just about all together as their attention turns to finding a new job somewhere else. Anybody have any insight?

Depends. Traylor busted his ass to retain kids because he wanted to be retained by Herman. Fisher’s staff was mostly paycheck mercenaries regardless so I can’t imagine they’re busting ass unless they want to retain a job. But maybe some assistants with good relationships are thinking they can leverage that kid for a flip at their new gig. Going to be different in every circumstance. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Depends. Traylor busted his ass to retain kids because he wanted to be retained by Herman. Fisher’s staff was mostly paycheck mercenaries regardless so I can’t imagine they’re busting ass unless they want to retain a job. But maybe some assistants with good relationships are thinking they can leverage that kid for a flip at their new gig. Going to be different in every circumstance. 

Yep. Robinson has offered a 2025 DE so he thinks he's sticking around.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Yep. Robinson has offered a 2025 DE so he thinks he's sticking around.

So would this indicate that aggy has their man, and the new guy will retain Robinson? Because it’s not a wise move for the program to decide to retain anyone on Jimbo’s staff before clearing it with the new head coach.

Or he could just be doing his job on the recruiting trail regardless of where he ends up.

44 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So would this indicate that aggy has their man, and the new guy will retain Robinson? Because it’s not a wise move for the program to decide to retain anyone on Jimbo’s staff before clearing it with the new head coach.

Or he could just be doing his job on the recruiting trail regardless of where he ends up.

Unfortunately for the prospect in some cases, nothing says the new head guy has to honor either the offer or even a commitment once they are hired. Unless aggie is stupid enough to wait until after the 1st signing day to make the hire I guess.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In classic aggie fashion, they have hoisted themselves by their own petard. They have serious buyouts for some of the assistants. They don’t want to pay those too, so they’ve convinced themselves that the assistants weren’t the problem - just Ritz Bit.

They’ve allegedly been looking for someone who would leave the defensive staff alone and most of the offensive staff too. That might be one of the key reasons that Traylor wasn’t a fit. 

That whole setup sounds legitimately ridiculous to me, so I am entertained to see if it is true at all. If so, wow. If not, one thing that I know is true is there are some buyouts that are going to hurt. 

Nothing attracts a quality head coach like not picking any staff 

What could possibly go right 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Robinson probably wants a job with someone next year and it wouldn't look good to quit on his current job

If it's an offensive-minded coach getting a massive salary to be the new coach, would it take much convincing to have them keep most of the defensive staff?  Can't imagine the 2 JAG coaches they promoted before the season have contracts after this season...so basically Robinson, Rushing, and Durkin, right?

25 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Robinson probably wants a job with someone next year and it wouldn't look good to quit on his current job

Given what he’s done on the trail, backed by those sweet aggy FedEx envelopes, he can write his ticket anywhere. He can quiet quit with absolutely no repercussions.

I think he’s just trying to make aggy brass think twice about hiring over him. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

“We’ve had some excess,” he admits. “Our staff pool for the entire football program was over $13 million. Other programs in the SEC are in the $9 million to $10.5 million range.” 

Bjorks says other sports are safe some seeing their budgets cuts, and says job cuts will be confined to the football program. 

“Analysts, recruiting positions, operational positions,” Bjork says when asked where he says fat can be trimmed. 

He also pointed out how the Aggies’ travel budget was out of sync with other teams. 

"Our program under Coach Fisher was leaving [for away games] on Thursday nights," Bjork says. "And so that’s added hotel rooms, that’s added meals. Everybody else leaves on Friday for a road game."

Nice... always a great selling point for a potential new coach hire.  How would you like to operate with a skeleton support staff? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

“We’ve had some excess,” he admits. “Our staff pool for the entire football program was over $13 million. Other programs in the SEC are in the $9 million to $10.5 million range.” 

Bjorks says other sports are safe some seeing their budgets cuts, and says job cuts will be confined to the football program. 

“Analysts, recruiting positions, operational positions,” Bjork says when asked where he says fat can be trimmed. 

He also pointed out how the Aggies’ travel budget was out of sync with other teams. 

"Our program under Coach Fisher was leaving [for away games] on Thursday nights," Bjork says. "And so that’s added hotel rooms, that’s added meals. Everybody else leaves on Friday for a road game."

12th man foundation tapped out?   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

aggy: this is a top 5 job, you have unlimited resources 

Also aggy: we aren’t paying more than median 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Vermin said:

aggy: this is a top 5 job, you have unlimited resources 

Also aggy: we aren’t paying more than median 

And your contract is going to be incentive based while we're cutting your analysts and your pool for assistants. Good news though, the sunflower seed industry is an nil bonanza. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Nice... always a great selling point for a potential new coach hire.  How would you like to operate with a skeleton support staff? 

No kidding. Even if he planned to rein in costs, the last thing you do before announcing your coaching hire is talk about that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Robinson seems like one of those position coaches that any head coach would want. He’s like a younger Rodney Garner or Bo Davis at this point. Someone who has a track record of recruiting stud D-linemen and who can develop them reasonably well is a coveted commodity. 

Yeah, keeping Robinson is a pretty easy sell. 

Keeping Durkin would make some sense if they hired an offensive guy. 

I wonder if broke ass Bjork doesn’t want to pay the assistants’ buyouts, and this is causing the HC search to drag out. 

Did aggy make Bjork a bad AD or has he always been trash?

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, keeping Robinson is a pretty easy sell. 

Keeping Durkin would make some sense if they hired an offensive guy. 

I wonder if broke ass Bjork doesn’t want to pay the assistants’ buyouts, and this is causing the HC search to drag out. 

Did aggy make Bjork a bad AD or has he always been trash?

Wasn't Durkin to USC a done deal last week?

19 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Bjork is in over his head.  This whole coaching change is giving him enough rope to hang himself so they can replace him.

The press conference fiasco when he found out we were moving to SEC was setup for him to embarrass himself.

I think it's time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2