Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

For the life of me I cannot begin to understand why Dindy is still on that roster. That dude needs a fresh start somewhere. 

This summer on one of the podcasts, Gerry was talking about Florida high school players and what a good leader and teammate Cedric Baxter was.  Basically said that when he was injured, he was engaged during games, coaching teammates, always at practice.

He the said there was a 5 star DL in Florida that would show up late to practice, leave early, and basically didn’t give a shit about his team.  Guess who he was talking about?

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is Tom Herman 2.0. 

Let's play smash mouth football with QB draws and control time of possession with turtling. It's a bit wild how similar this hire is looking to Herman when you compare the assistant hires and now style of play. 

It’s more Charlie Strong than Tom Herman.  Herman was the hottest coaching prospect in the country at the time.  Had won a national championship as an OC and then went on to beat ou and fsu at Houston.  Herman could recruit okay but had no idea how to build a roster.  He beat UGA at Texas and was 1 stupid Todd Orlando 10 man blitz from beating nation champs LSU.  I fucking hate Herman but Mike Elko is fucking Charlie Strong.  A decent DC that doesn’t have a network of coaches, no identity on offense, no idea what he wants to do with his roster, and not inspiring in getting elite talent to campus.  Aggy wishes they hired Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hilarious Tex. Go back and read Looch’s post at about 5pm. “Klein is 1 of 2 names. Not a done deal. Not at the finish line.”

That’s a hedge.

Sounds like a 3rd name turned them down yesterday. I assume that was Johns given the OL hire came from Duke. 

It sounds to me like he doesn’t know but needs everyone to think that he does. 

this is one of the names I was holding back?  Cmon

it’s not done yet. No shit. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I just don't know how you can watch Grubb at Washington, Denbrock at LSU, Stein at Oregon, Riley at USC, Sark at Texas, etc and think this is the type of offensive approach you want to take. 

Explosive/dynamic offenses that spread you out with elite WRs is the way everyone should be going if they have the talent base. 

There's value in zagging against the grain, and this offense works well against the three safety dime and the two safety fangio shell defenses, but zagging should be what teams aspiring to be annoying outs who knock off a top team here or there, not what teams aiming to win championships every single year are doing. Also, this offense injures your starting QB. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am no fan of Elko or Chuckles either, but what two consenting adults choose to do behind closed doors is their business and has no place in this thread’s discussion, sir. 

Jebus. He didn’t say hate fucking. 
Or did he?

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

It’s also not a great offense for that fanbase. Their biggest complaint about Jimbo was his ancient slow plodding offense that doesn’t score points and isn’t explosive. Playing a ball control offense focusing on qb runs with that awful OL is going to drive texags to seppuku.

I would like to lower my O/U of Elko/A&M partnership from 3.5 years down to 3 but reserve the right to lower it again should Optimus Klein turn down the offer.

Deion has proven that you only need 1 good portal cycle to win in the trenches. They can change their offensive philosophy at will stupid sip.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Let's take a look and see how things are going at the top of the "greatest class of all time!!".

Walter Nolan - may/may not enter portal, TBD, looked decent at times, nowhere near 5* ranking.  Going after the highest bid.  Also is soft and always something wrong with him.

Evan Stewart - took the $$$ bag to go play in an offense with a decade of data to show WR's go to fade away.  May/may not portal.  Definitely not lived up to 5* ranking.

Shemar Stewart - has been a rotational player that occasionally flashes.  May/may not portal.  Another guy who hasn't lived up to the 5* ranking.

Gabe Brownlow - hasn't seen the field yet as far as I know.

LT Overton - hardly ever played, in the portal.

Connor Weigman - has promise, has flashed (mostly against g5 teams).  Has been annihilated behind that OL.  Who knows, maybe sticks around??  TBD I guess??

Chris Marshall - 🤣🤣

Denver Harris - 🤣🤣

Anthony Lucas - hit the road after one year.

Enai White - hasn't played much as far as I know.  From the north east so probably a good candidate to portal to E-Rob.

Smoke Bouie - 🤣🤣

PJ Williams - we hardly knew ya'.

Bryce Anderson - looks good.  To bad he didn't end up here.

That's all I'm doing for now.  Feel free to add on.  Geeze is this going to be like that Herman class where only two or three guys end up being contributors?  Don't care, got/had Jimbo.

the insignificant overton, the older brother, is in the portal too

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Let's take a look and see how things are going at the top of the "greatest class of all time!!".

Walter Nolan - may/may not enter portal, TBD, looked decent at times, nowhere near 5* ranking.  Going after the highest bid.  Also is soft and always something wrong with him.

Evan Stewart - took the $$$ bag to go play in an offense with a decade of data to show WR's go to fade away.  May/may not portal.  Definitely not lived up to 5* ranking.

Shemar Stewart - has been a rotational player that occasionally flashes.  May/may not portal.  Another guy who hasn't lived up to the 5* ranking.

Gabe Brownlow - hasn't seen the field yet as far as I know.

LT Overton - hardly ever played, in the portal.

Connor Weigman - has promise, has flashed (mostly against g5 teams).  Has been annihilated behind that OL.  Who knows, maybe sticks around??  TBD I guess??

Chris Marshall - 🤣🤣

Denver Harris - 🤣🤣

Anthony Lucas - hit the road after one year.

Enai White - hasn't played much as far as I know.  From the north east so probably a good candidate to portal to E-Rob.

Smoke Bouie - 🤣🤣

PJ Williams - we hardly knew ya'.

Bryce Anderson - looks good.  To bad he didn't end up here.

That's all I'm doing for now.  Feel free to add on.  Geeze is this going to be like that Herman class where only two or three guys end up being contributors?  Don't care, got/had Jimbo.

Top 5 talent!

Hires so far. Agree or disagree? 

OC (Klein): B-. Advanced metrics aren't bad but only 2 years of playcalling experience and it's an odd fit at A&M when you factor in the offensive style. 

OL (Cushing): B-. P5 experience at Northwestern and Duke. Doesn't seem like a great recruiter but decent developer. Feels like there were a lot of bigger names that A&M could have hired here that didn't have his baggage from the Northwestern days. 

RB (Taylor): C-. Known as a bagman which has little value now in the NIL world. This is aggys new version of Dameyune Craig? 

DL (Spencer): B+. P5 experience at Florida, Penn State, Vanderbilt. Coached in the NFL. Looks like a good recruiter but development/coaching looks questionable after being fired at Florida and bad defensive lines with the Giants. I'll give Spencer a B+ since he looks like a plus recruiter.

DB (Aristide): C+. Very limited coaching experience but looks like a decent recruiter that players like. Feels like a comfort hire. 

The big thing that stands out to me is they need an experienced DC. Elko HC (2 years of experience), Klein OC (2 years of experience), and ? at DC. This feels like a learning on the job type situation. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

He will do wonders with Weigman etc, etc.

If Weigman doesn't transfer I will be shocked. 

This offense is not a fit at all for him and especially with the OL issues. Weigman running 10 to 15 times a game with his injury history sounds like a recipe for disaster. Just look at the QBs that have played under Klein. Adrian Martinez, Avery Johnson, and Will Howard. They're athletes playing QB. 

The big thing is both Martinez and Howard have been banged up the last 2 years playing in this system. Which is what you get when you play a running QB. Surely, Weigman recognizes this? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

No he does not after the way he was treated the first year if that guy had any sense he would have transferred. Now if he does transfer due to fit

giphy.gif

Lets see how much of this article they lift.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/collin-klein-notre-dame-football-irish-kansas-state-candidates-rumors-news/

Edited by DanTheHorn

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Best part of the Klein hire is the "turned down Penn State" last week part. I challenge anyone to find a Penn State mention confirms that. The only place you will see it is from aggy mentions. You won't find any connections from Penn State other that PSU beat writers going "what?".

Yeah and Penn State got the much better OC.

Kotelnicki had the #10 offense (espn efficiency) playing a 2nd and 3rd string QB for most of the year. That dude is the truth. He actually reminds me a lot of what Sark does with motion/schemes. 

Kotelnicki was who I was afraid aggy might hire. Glad it didn't happen. 

• Hook 'Em 3