Give Me One Reason to Keep Caring about the Dallas Cowboys

Vic Mackey

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Because they can go 5-5 to finish the season 7-9 and still win the terrible NFC East?  That sounds daunting until you consider most of those games are against the NFC East. 

That's all I got.

Um, they have Andy Dalton starting at QB, and a bunch of guys who were fry cooks last week playing offensive line. Oh, and the worst professional defense I've ever seen. They'll be lucky to win another game this year, especially if Zekes butterfingers aren't fixed.

Edited by 'stache

Reason's I don't care for the Cowboys

1) Jerry fired Jimmy to show us he could get it done and has given us 25 years of misery

2) Jerry hired Barry Switzer to flip off the Texas fans.

3) Jerry hires coaches that suck so just in case they win he can take the credit

4) Jerry fell in love with Quincy Carter and felt butterflies for Mike Mcarthy

Reason's I do care for the Cowboys

1) I enjoy when they win

2) Now that Jerry feels mortality nipping at his heals, I enjoy seeing his face when they lose. Since I think how does that feel you MF while you were making me feel that way about my team in the late 90's and early 2000's and you had a smug look on your face.

P.S. I stopped caring about the Cowboys around 2004 when the Longhorns got really good and focused all my attention on them till about a year ago when Jerry started to care.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, LTbear said:

Not being a fairweather bitch 

Fairweather? Lmao. Good one. That would be a Patriots fan jumping ship after one down season after 2 decades of success we have never seen.

Pretty sure any Cowboys fan currently is nowhere near a fairweather. 25 years of nada. Not even and divisional round win.

Not caring about them does not mean I stop being a fan. I just find it hard to invest my time in caring about them. I am apathetic, which is terrible for a sports fan to experience.

Yes, I always chuckle when Cowboys fans are accused of being "fairweathers" or "front running". The Cowboys haven't won shit in forever. They should have next to no fans. Yet every year the fans keep coming back even though nothing has really changed since Troy Aikman retired other than a few years of maybe being good only to have it come crashing down year after year. 

I chose not to waste my time watching because I can do something more enjoyable than watching the team I grew up loving punching itself in the dick every week. 

I'm not sure why, other than Dak, Cooper, and Ceedee blowing people out, anyone thought this year would be better. Literally nothing was done to improve the defense. The defense is consistently the issue. A lot like what's been happening in Austin for 10 years. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

If this is accurate, shit is about to implode. Trainwrecks and car crashes are fun to watch.

This is actually glorious. Trainwrecks are definitely fun. Any fan watching at home knows this is true. I don't remember the last time they had a staff worth a damn. Parcells maybe? He did turn this thing around and set the foundation.

Taco leaves this mess and now has a spot in KC and functions well for them. Jerry has created an extremely toxic environment. Zero accountability. Players used to go over the coaches' heads to talk to Jerry about issues. Players now they can play like shit and nothing will happen. Coaches the same way.

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yes, I always chuckle when Cowboys fans are accused of being "fairweathers" or "front running". The Cowboys haven't won shit in forever. They should have next to no fans. Yet every year the fans keep coming back even though nothing has really changed since Troy Aikman retired other than a few years of maybe being good only to have it come crashing down year after year. 

I chose not to waste my time watching because I can do something more enjoyable than watching the team I grew up loving punching itself in the dick every week. 

I'm not sure why, other than Dak, Cooper, and Ceedee blowing people out, anyone thought this year would be better. Literally nothing was done to improve the defense. The defense is consistently the issue. A lot like what's been happening in Austin for 10 years. 

I wonder how many young fans they have. They will always have the older crowd like us because we latched on in our early days when we won. My cousin was born in early 1997 and he does not give a shit about them. He would think you are pranking him if you told him Dallas used to be a heavyweight in this league. I see so many kids born in the 90s just not give a shit about Dallas. Many of them have favorite players and root for other teams. This was never the case in the 60s-90s. 

I remember the streak used to be this franchise has not won a playoff game in 13 years. Finally won one in 2009. Now it has been 26 years since we have even won a divisional round game. We won a Super Bowl when I was 11 or 12. Little did I know, I could count on one hand up until my present age of 36 of playoff wins we would have total since then. And I would have fingers left over. Since that Super Bowl in 1995, this team has won a total of 4 playoff games (I think??).  1996 wild card, 2009 wild card, 2014 wild card, 2018 wild card. Don't think I am forgetting any. Actually, this franchise has really not been the same since being embarrassed by the Cardinals in the 1997 wild card game at home.

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Because they can go 5-5 to finish the season 7-9 and still win the terrible NFC East?  That sounds daunting until you consider most of those games are against the NFC East. 

That's all I got.

A 5-11 team could win the NFC East this season. There is no way Washington or NYG win more than 4 games, not happening. Philly isn't much better. Hell, Dallas could go 5-11 and win that trash can division.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel for people that are dealing with a shitty Horns team and a shitty NFL team.

T&P to you all. I only suffer with the Horns. Fortunately I have not subjected myself to fandom of an NFL team.

I don't think my liver could handle being simultaneously sickened by the Horns and the Cowboys.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I stopped getting upset about them several years ago. It's pointless. All roads lead to Jerry. 

Yeah man. I grew up a huge Cowboys fan and was one well into adulthood ... but I stopped giving two shits about them a long, long time ago. Thanks to Jerrah. Fuck Jerrah.

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Because when they are great then you don't want to be a bandwagon fan; you want to be able to say you were a fan through good times and bad.

I know this because it has to be why I have friends who are still Lions fans (although I'll be dead before they are ever good - I can't say again, because they have won exactly ONE playoff game in my lifetime)

Also to reply to @Dbeasy (I forgot to hit the quote button) - the Ford family has never won shit, but then again they've only owned the Lions since 1961

it's easier to be "there through good and bad" when you've never tasted excellence.

my down cycle was danny white losing 3 nfc title games in a row and then the rest of the 80s as Landry & Schramm lost their mojo.

i cared through parcells, and when we got good again 6 years ago, but wodgers took care of that.

i look in on the first game now the past 3 years, and it's easy to know by the 2nd quarter of that first game if they are going to be worth the investment that year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Um, they have Andy Dalton starting at QB, and a bunch of guys who were fry cooks last week playing offensive line. Oh, and the worst professional defense I've ever seen. They'll be lucky to win another game this year, especially if Zekes butterfingers aren't fixed.

Have you met the NFC East?

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's easier to be "there through good and bad" when you've never tasted excellence.

my down cycle was danny white losing 3 nfc title games in a row and then the rest of the 80s as Landry & Schramm lost their mojo.

i cared through parcells, and when we got good again 6 years ago, but wodgers took care of that.

i look in on the first game now the past 3 years, and it's easy to know by the 2nd quarter of that first game if they are going to be worth the investment that year.

tenor.gif

I saw these fans last night and paused it and I asked my wife. How can this person and the two beside him be sad? They have not been alive long enough to know excellence. This is what is expected from the Cowboys every year during their lifetime. Why would they expect anything different? Wife got upset and asked me to not be critical of their misery and reminded me of my Longhorns these past 10 years.  I then showed her the image below and asked her to learn by example.

dallas-cowboy-sad-fan.png

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am actually reasonably certain that Stephen, Jerrah Jr., and Charlotte are sufficiently intelligent that they realize that they should not substitute their judgment for seasoned football professionals.

Therefore, once Jerrah becomes incapacitated, there is a more than reasonable chance that the Cowboys improve.

They may be "hillbillies," but they don't suffer Jerrah's vainglorious delusions about being a football genius.

Stephen has been negotiating salaries for the better part of the last decade now and if you've been paying any attention you'd realize he doesn't possess the level of judgement you're theorizing.  And beyond that he's following his Dad's example as the only other NFL owner to display his "intellect" on a weekly radio segment. 

I'll never quit them and go to another team(I will cheer for Dak however, where ever he goes after the Cowboys stupidly let him walk).

But I'm born and bred...I'll support them till I die.  I just won't be happy about it for the foreseeable future.

• Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

What if I told you Jerrah is actually the smart one?

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am actually reasonably certain that Stephen, Jerrah Jr., and Charlotte are sufficiently intelligent

charlotte is undeniably the brains of the family.  I can’t speak for junior.  stephen is a dreadfully stupid mouth-breathing absolute dipshit.  he may hire a GM but if he doesn’t we are not sniffing another super bowl until john stephen takes over in 2050. 

Yeah, all the above reasons are good ones. I first remember watching during Calvin Hill & Staubach’s rookie season (1969). I know I watched with my dad before that, but age 7 is the first year I actually remember (same with The Texas Longhorns- the Great Shootout) . So, it’s been at least 51 years.

I am a Blackburn Rovers fan... so I have deluded hopes of a dramatic return to the Premier League. I have virtually no interest in MLB anymore (I was a Braves fan) or NBA (I was a Warriors fan, the old Rick Barry/Al Attles Warriors, not recent history). I only watch the PL and the Dallas Cowboys now, but the similarity between these duds and 1969 ends with the star on the helmet. Maybe that’s enough to keep my rapidly dwindling interest, I don’t know.

Maybe I want Jerry to fail, and then his sons. I’ve given up on the Cowboys winning anything meaningful again. I agree with the earlier poster, I will never be a fan of another team.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I apologize beforehand: I feel sorry for you poor bastards. That’s maybe the worst thing anyone can say to a sports fan in my book.

I grew up a cowboys fan. Hell, my grandma was a paralegal for them and I always had signed memorabilia on my walls as a kid.

More importantly, I’ve always been a Texas fan. I could barely stomach Arky Jerry, but the wins were scintillating though they came at the hands of pinche Jimmy Johnson of U fame.

And then that dude hired the antichrist of my childhood, Barry F’in Switzer. And I was done.  The cowboys of my childhood were dead. 
I feel sorry for you dudes.

• Hook 'Em 2