Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

full tweet

In a ploy to apparently get his way, Governor Abbott suggests he is threatening to destroy the work of the entire 88th Legislative Session – hundreds of thousands of hours by lawmakers doing the work the people sent us to do.   The Governor’s suggested threat today to veto a large number of Senate bills is an affront to the legislative process and the people of Texas. He has now made his position clear – he doesn’t want homeowners to get the $100,000 homestead exemption that is the hallmark of the Senate Plan.   The Senate plan saves homeowners $1,200 -$1,450 every year compared to the House plan he supports, which only gives homeowners a tax cut of $740 a year. Homeowners want the exemption and the biggest tax cut possible.   I will not abandon 5.7 million average Texas homeowners getting their $100,000 homestead exemption. #txlege

----

So Abbott and Patrick going to war against each other?

Texas sends busload of 42 migrants to Los Angeles
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-06-14/texas-gov-greg-abbot-says-migrants-transported-to-los-angeles-by-bus-dropped-at-union-station-wednesday

A busload of migrants sent by the state of Texas arrived in Los Angeles on Wednesday afternoon. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced the action on social media, saying the transportation of migrants to L.A. was “much-needed relief” for the border.

The group of 42 people, including eight children, arrived after a 23-hour bus ride without food, according to Jorge-Mario Cabrera, director of communications for immigrant rights group CHIRLA.

• Rage+1 3

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I end up having to get my car inspected I am gonna be pissed.

the emissions test is still applicable . we will no longer perform the 7$  safety portion of the state inspection however the state will still collect the 7$ . same was true a few years ago when they went to one sticker. if you look at your registration they added a 10.25 "sticker fee " to account for the the difference from  28.75$ that shops collected . 

2 hours ago, mr.goodkat said:

the emissions test is still applicable . we will no longer perform the 7$  safety portion of the state inspection however the state will still collect the 7$ . same was true a few years ago when they went to one sticker. if you look at your registration they added a 10.25 "sticker fee " to account for the the difference from  28.75$ that shops collected . 

yeah, so it's smoke and mirrors

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

The important thing is we're all now free to drive our shitbox cars down to the bare cords in the radial tires. Working brakes, headlights & signals? Fuck 'em--that's for woke soyboys.

Non-Texans: Oh don't worry, without inspections, people will still take care of their cars.

Texans:

Disagree Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

The important thing is we're all now free to drive our shitbox cars down to the bare cords in the radial tires. Working brakes, headlights & signals? Fuck 'em--that's for woke soyboys.

You think cops are going to start passing up excuses to pull over poor people?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

As someone who browses R/JustRolledIntoTheShop semi regularly can guarantee this was already happening… so scary to see what some people are driving next to you at 80mph on the highway.

9 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

As someone who browses R/JustRolledIntoTheShop semi regularly can guarantee this was already happening… so scary to see what some people are driving next to you at 80mph on the highway.

The lack of long term thinking from our UNGA BUNGA state lege is unsurprising and frustrating. There's only going to be more and more broken down shit boxes littering the roads and clogging traffic and driving up insurance premiums even further. 

Goddamnit. 

• Rage+1 2

Has the Fairfield Lake debacle been discussed here? My FIL is a huge outdoorsman and has been following this pretty closely. Keep in mind, he's a pretty staunch GOP'er and my MIL watches Fox News quite religiously (or did until my wife started pushing back on Fox's lies to her parents directly) and will vote Republican no matter who is on the ballot. He hates Paxton but still voted for him because the Dem candidate wasn't "qualified" in his mind. Ridiculous.

At any rate, according to FIL the state had myriad chances to buy this property in the past but Abbott fiddle-farted around and a Dallas-based family developer purchased the property for $100M+. Realizing his mistake, Abbott is now taking the property via imminent domain. Looks like the state has offered $25M to the family.

I post merely because this appears to be another black eye on Abbott/GOP "leadership" in this state.

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/06/15/owners-fairfield-state-park-land-hire-carrington-coleman-law-firm-defend-property-eminent-domain/

DALLAS, Texas (KWTX) - An attorney representing Todd Interests, a Dallas-based firm that acquired the land in and around Fairfield Lake State Park, on Thursday blasted the decision made by a commission of unelected officials to seize the property using eminent domain, and warned Texans that if the state can do this to the Todd Family, it “can happen to any rancher, farmer, or property owner in Texas.”

On June 11, TPWD voted unanimously to use eminent domain to seize the 5,000-acre property that includes Fairfield Lake State Park. The Texas Tribune reported the move came after months of stalled legislative efforts, and failed negotiations to secure the park.

Todd Interests reportedly purchased the property for $110.5 million, and has retained the services of the Carrington Coleman law firm. Todd Interests rejected an offer of $25-million from the state for the property, TPWD previously said.

In 2021, Vistra Energy decided to sell the 5,000 acres of land in Freestone County, including land it had leased to the State of Texas for Fairfield Lake State Park, after the State declined multiple opportunities to purchase the property, said Monica Latin, the managing partner at Carrington Coleman.

Latin said TPWD is taking 1,821 acres previously leased to the State, and an additional 3,200 acres of land and surface water, including water rights, from Todd Interests.

The attorney disputed allegation made by TPWD commissioners that the owners of the property had been non-responsive, or even hostile. “Nothing could be further from the truth,” Latin said.

“The Commission showed no interest in acquiring the park for the citizens of Texas when it had the opportunity,” she said, “Now, they wrongly deflect blame through a series of false statements to the press and the people of Texas about their conduct.”

Latin said Texas Parks and Wildlife requested, and received, an appropriation from the Texas State Legislature for the “proposed acquisition of Fairfield Lake State Park and other strategic state park acquisitions.”

The state agency, according to Latin, specified in its request that the funds “would only be used for acquisitions from willing sellers.”

Latin further said the Legislature rejected “efforts to condemn this very property ... Because that is not the way the State of Texas treats its citizens and its property owners.”

“Last Saturday, the unelected (TPWD) Commission voted to condemn approximately 5,000 acres - three times as much land as the former State Park, and every inch acquired by the Todd family,” Latin said.

“The Commission stated that the use of eminent domain is ‘extraordinary,’ ‘unusual,’ and reserved ‘for the rarest and most unique circumstances.’ But the only extraordinary, unusual, or unique circumstance here is an unelected group of commissioners’ irresponsible use of power to deprive private landowners of their rights, to accomplish by force an outcome not supported by the Texas Legislature,” she said.

“If the Commission can do this to the Todd family, they can do it to any rancher, farmer, or property owner in Texas. We hope incoming Commission leadership will see the disastrous precedent this decision would set, and the dangerous message its actions send to all Texans.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Not fully up to speed on all the details of the Fairfield Lake State Park Issue/Debacle but do find it rather strange that TPWD, who historically was/is fairly cash strapped from the Legislature diverting sporting goods sales tax revenue that was supposed to be going to TPWD to a myriad of other things "cuz the Lege knows best...", would put a bunch of money into that State Park on Leased land without some sort of legit plan/offer in place to buy it given the opportunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Has the Fairfield Lake debacle been discussed here? My FIL is a huge outdoorsman and has been following this pretty closely. Keep in mind, he's a pretty staunch GOP'er and my MIL watches Fox News quite religiously (or did until my wife started pushing back on Fox's lies to her parents directly) and will vote Republican no matter who is on the ballot. He hates Paxton but still voted for him because the Dem candidate wasn't "qualified" in his mind. Ridiculous.

At any rate, according to FIL the state had myriad chances to buy this property in the past but Abbott fiddle-farted around and a Dallas-based family developer purchased the property for $100M+. Realizing his mistake, Abbott is now taking the property via imminent domain. Looks like the state has offered $25M to the family.

I post merely because this appears to be another black eye on Abbott/GOP "leadership" in this state.

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/06/15/owners-fairfield-state-park-land-hire-carrington-coleman-law-firm-defend-property-eminent-domain/

Dedicated thread in Food & Travel

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

37 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Not fully up to speed on all the details of the Fairfield Lake State Park Issue/Debacle but do find it rather strange that TPWD, who historically was/is fairly cash strapped from the Legislature diverting sporting goods sales tax revenue that was supposed to be going to TPWD to a myriad of other things "cuz the Lege knows best...", would put a bunch of money into that State Park on Leased land without some sort of legit plan/offer in place to buy it given the opportunity. 

My sources are not nearly as good as YGIFS, so this is just rumors I've read, but the fiddle-farting around and lack of financial support for TPWD/etc. may have been deliberate - lot of various interests wanted that property sold off and developed into multi-million dollar homes. The only reason the state is backtracking is that they misjudged it and the public response and it blew up in their face.

Which again, is today's GOP in Texas not being able to read the room, including Abbott.

But that's just a rumor that all of the "incompetence" is not actually incompetence but deliberate "oops, we didn't buy the land, guess they'll have to develop it, oh darn, maybe next time!"

DALLAS, Texas (KWTX) - An attorney representing Todd Interests, a Dallas-based firm that acquired the land in and around Fairfield Lake State Park, on Thursday blasted the decision made by a commission of unelected officials to seize the property using eminent domain, and warned Texans that if the state can do this to the Todd Family, it “can happen to any rancher, farmer, or property owner in Texas.”
On June 11, TPWD voted unanimously to use eminent domain to seize the 5,000-acre property that includes Fairfield Lake State Park. The Texas Tribune reported the move came after months of stalled legislative efforts, and failed negotiations to secure the park.
Todd Interests reportedly purchased the property for $110.5 million, and has retained the services of the Carrington Coleman law firm. Todd Interests rejected an offer of $25-million from the state for the property, TPWD previously said.
In 2021, Vistra Energy decided to sell the 5,000 acres of land in Freestone County, including land it had leased to the State of Texas for Fairfield Lake State Park, after the State declined multiple opportunities to purchase the property, said Monica Latin, the managing partner at Carrington Coleman.
Latin said TPWD is taking 1,821 acres previously leased to the State, and an additional 3,200 acres of land and surface water, including water rights, from Todd Interests.
The attorney disputed allegation made by TPWD commissioners that the owners of the property had been non-responsive, or even hostile. “Nothing could be further from the truth,” Latin said.
“The Commission showed no interest in acquiring the park for the citizens of Texas when it had the opportunity,” she said, “Now, they wrongly deflect blame through a series of false statements to the press and the people of Texas about their conduct.”
Latin said Texas Parks and Wildlife requested, and received, an appropriation from the Texas State Legislature for the “proposed acquisition of Fairfield Lake State Park and other strategic state park acquisitions.”
The state agency, according to Latin, specified in its request that the funds “would only be used for acquisitions from willing sellers.”
Latin further said the Legislature rejected “efforts to condemn this very property ... Because that is not the way the State of Texas treats its citizens and its property owners.”
“Last Saturday, the unelected (TPWD) Commission voted to condemn approximately 5,000 acres - three times as much land as the former State Park, and every inch acquired by the Todd family,” Latin said.
“The Commission stated that the use of eminent domain is ‘extraordinary,’ ‘unusual,’ and reserved ‘for the rarest and most unique circumstances.’ But the only extraordinary, unusual, or unique circumstance here is an unelected group of commissioners’ irresponsible use of power to deprive private landowners of their rights, to accomplish by force an outcome not supported by the Texas Legislature,” she said.
“If the Commission can do this to the Todd family, they can do it to any rancher, farmer, or property owner in Texas. We hope incoming Commission leadership will see the disastrous precedent this decision would set, and the dangerous message its actions send to all Texans.”

How does FIL feel about land seized via Eminent Domain for the border wall?

43 minutes ago, TexPx said:

How does FIL feel about land seized via Eminent Domain for the border wall?

Ha -- he's probably OK with it, though he's softening his stances substantially as he's presented with indisputable evidence of Republican atrocities in this state and across the country. MIL is pretty entrenched but my wife has deleted her nightly DVR schedule of the Ingraham show.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s literally the only thing he does: make everything worse.
He’s really making a run at being our worst governor ever.

Do I need to remind you that Sul Ross was governor of Texas at one point? :)

Edited by C-Man

Shit the news was just covering his signing statements on his vetos. “The legislature can take up these issues at a future special session after they take up property tax relief.”

He’s a fucking terrorist. We have the worst fucking governor leading the worst fucking government. This state is a steaming pile of shit being led by a river of runny shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit the news was just covering his signing statements on his vetos. “The legislature can take up these issues at a future special session after they take up property tax relief.”

He’s a fucking terrorist. We have the worst fucking governor leading the worst fucking government. This state is a steaming pile of shit being led by a river of runny shit.

He has to get his way in order to show MAGA that he can stand up to RINOs and the like (you know, The Swamp that Abbott has been involved with for over two decades). Patrick and the legislature telling him to fuck off makes him look weak in his mind, even though people outside of Texas are not paying attention to any of this. Hell, people in Texas aren't going to place him any higher than 4th in the Texas GOP primaries next year.

I'm agreeing with YGIFS - something broke in his brain in recent years. I think when he veered really hard right during the primary last year with Huffines goading him, that was an extremely visible indication that something was wrong with Abbott, that he believed he had lost confidence in some group (moderate Republicans?) but I think whatever it was probably around before the primary. 

He still survived his primary even though those West Texas fracking billionaires pumped a shitload of money into his foes, so in theory you'd think he'd be sitting pretty and would come back to the middle.  Nope, he's still being a complete asshole to a lot of Texans he doesn't like, instead of acting like he's their Governor. And there's no fucking reason for this behavior either - an empty suit with an (R) next to its name is going to have a 5-point advantage against Democrats when it comes to the Governor's election.

It still could be that he and other Republicans have internal polling that is scaring the absolute shit out of them, and he knows that he's got the typical moderate Republican voter locked down, but he needs the MAGA/Qanon/Libertarian crowd to get out and vote even if they don't care, because they could be the margin of victory. I could see Abbott not wanting to be the Republican Governor who goes down in history as being at the helm when Texas flipped back to the Democrats. Hell, if the Democrats make serious gains next year (big fucking IF), that will hurt him and his political future.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm agreeing with YGIFS - something broke in his brain in recent years. I think when he veered really hard right during the primary last year with Huffines goading him, that was an extremely visible indication that something was wrong with Abbott, that he believed he had lost confidence in some group (moderate Republicans?) but I think whatever it was probably around before the primary. 

It’s not that complicated and nothing broke his brain. Abbott doesn’t have any sort of political principle other than personal advancement and doesn’t care about governing beyond how it impacts the trajectory of his career. When Bush was Gov he copied Bush because that was what seemed to be the recipe to become Gov. Now he wants to be the GOP nominee for President, and to him and his guru Dave Carney, that means competing for an asshole championship.

But again, nothing new has happened- this is what the political persona of Abbott always was- a sort of golem sculpted from the psyche of his party.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Abbott doesn’t have any sort of political principle other than personal advancement and doesn’t care about governing beyond how it impacts the trajectory of his career.

1000% this. He follows whatever his advisors tell him is good for Greg on that particular day. 

• Rage+1 1

It’s not that complicated and nothing broke his brain. Abbott doesn’t have any sort of political principle other than personal advancement and doesn’t care about governing beyond how it impacts the trajectory of his career. When Bush was Gov he copied Bush because that was what seemed to be the recipe to become Gov. Now he wants to be the GOP nominee for President, and to him and his guru Dave Carney, that means competing for an asshole championship.
But again, nothing new has happened- this is what the political persona of Abbott always was- a sort of golem sculpted from the psyche of his party.

Yet another thing that tells me we’re in a simulation: our most spineless governor, both literally and metaphorically, is the same guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

a fucking carney is running this place?!?