Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Proud to sign a sweeping package of border security bills into law this afternoon. Texas will continue to hold the line against Biden's border crisis. I also announced the deployment of new marine floating barriers to deter illegal crossings at hotspots along the Rio Grande.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Floating barrier work really well in a river that often runs very low.

Don't get all up in here with your water levels.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is gonna be the Aids Ribbon episode of Seinfeld, except way more violent.

Who?  WHO WILL NOT WHERE THE RIBBON?  I mean, he's addressing signage in classrooms instead of funding, outcomes, and shootings.  So that's something, right?  

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I look forward to the first lawsuit that happens over that.  I expect In Allah We Trust would be frowned upon, but legally protected.

They really don't think through gods and theologies, do they?  It's not that hard.  The bizarre twist is most people would be fine with like a tribute to higher power kinda token display.  But they gotta go full retard like Simple Jack.

hmm, lot of people and the feds are going to have questions about new barriers in a river / water way 

Which is going to be real funny when they shout “What Federal preemption?!?” as they’re busily asserting state preemption over the cities. Chefs kiss of hypocrisy.
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When Abbott replaced Perry, I thought Abbott would be slightly more reasonable. Maybe I was blinded by the A&M grad to UT grad aspect, or just that I thought Perry was a moron. I almost look back more fondly to the Perry days now...

It really was better to have a moronic Yosemite Sam caricature waiving guns around and going on about secession - knowing it was all bullshit show - than someone who is actively and gleefully making life worse on vast swathes of Texans while simultaneously driving the state towards fascism as quickly as his hot little wheels will take him.  Who could've known? 

2wl6.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When Abbott replaced Perry, I thought Abbott would be slightly more reasonable. Maybe I was blinded by the A&M grad to UT grad aspect, or just that I thought Perry was a moron. I almost look back more fondly to the Perry days now...

Perry is a moron but his big donors weren’t nuts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Abbott is trying desperately to look like an alpha male and like he gets shit done.

Dan Patrick is telling him to back the fuck up.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

https://www.kxan.com/state-of-texas/state-of-texas-we-are-not-backing-down-patrick-digs-in-for-special-session-property-tax-fight/

Nearly two weeks into the first of a promised several special sessions by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, there are no signs of breaking the impasse on property taxes. In fact, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick appears to be digging in.

“That’s a negotiation that we are not backing down from ever,” said Patrick at a news conference he called to mark a week into the special session.

Patrick is calling him out for a public debate.

At his event, Patrick shared data from the Legislative Budget Board showing the state would need to make up for more than $73 billion per year in other revenue sources without school district property taxes. Alternate sources of revenue for the state come mostly from sales tax revenue, along with streams coming from the oil production taxes, motor vehicle sales, insurance taxes and more. He also invited Abbott to a “Lincoln-Douglas” style debate.

Angela Lansbury Popcorn GIF

“I’ll call special session after special session after special session until the solution is reached,” Abbott said.

For now, when the next special session call will be released, seems to depend on the man holding the gavel in the Senate.

This would be more entertaining if it wasn’t costing us all more money.  Abbott used to be able to run intellectual and tactical circles around a rube like Dan Patrick.  These days?  Not so much.  I really don’t know what happened to Greg but a lotta Texas are suffering as a result of it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

This would be more entertaining if it wasn’t costing us all more money.  Abbott used to be able to run intellectual and tactical circles around a rube like Dan Patrick.  These days?  Not so much.  I really don’t know what happened to Greg but a lotta Texas are suffering as a result of it.  

it's trumpyceps. it's like cordyceps, but for political opinion. once the fungus takes hold, the rot is inevitable. often, it eats its hosts alive from the inside.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

images fall GIF

• Haha 4

On 6/9/2023 at 8:44 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Now you’re echoing @Bozo_Casanova.  I contend that Perry would be far more objectionable when held in thrall to today’s Texas GOP.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Now you’re echoing @Bozo_Casanova.  I contend that Perry would be far more objectionable when held in thrall to today’s Texas GOP.  

Perry would be listening to Bob Perry (were he still alive) and Charles Butt (HEB).  I doubt either of those two would have went full-on MAGA and/or hating immigrants as much as Abbott does, and not necessarily because both of their companies relied heavily on immigrants (illegal and otherwise) - they would have kept Perry focused on making Texas keep chugging along, not Abbott's would-be national campaign to make himself popular with MAGA, as well as trying to drag Texas down into becoming Florida-lite.

I  have a lot of problems with Perry, but he knew his limits.  But yeah, he would be primaried over his pushing open borders back in 2001 (pre-9/11) and his pushing for a guest worker program in 2006.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Perry would be listening to Bob Perry (were he still alive) and Charles Butt (HEB).  I doubt either of those two would have went full-on MAGA and/or hating immigrants as much as Abbott does, and not necessarily because both of their companies relied heavily on immigrants (illegal and otherwise) - they would have kept Perry focused on making Texas keep chugging along, not Abbott's would-be national campaign to make himself popular with MAGA, as well as trying to drag Texas down into becoming Florida-lite.

I  have a lot of problems with Perry, but he knew his limits.  But yeah, he would be primaried over his pushing open borders back in 2001 (pre-9/11) and his pushing for a guest worker program in 2006.

Exactly. 

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Come again?  Perry did the same stupid, of it's time, pandering bullshit that Abbott is doing; he just did it before Trump broke the GOP's brain and there was still a constituency of educated "small government" sympathizers to put a veneer of respectability on a host of policies overwhelmingly to the benefit of the donor class. 

It's like ya'll are forgetting how many threads we had on shaggy in regards to Perry's efforts to fuck The University and higher ed in general, the hypocrisy of a small government conservative proposing both the Trans Texas Corridor and statewide HPV vaccination, cronyism in state appointments, etc.  I can't speak to what was sincere and what was purely to set the stage of his presidential run, but I don't recall there being a lot of "oh, well he wouldn't go THAT far," in our threads on the various offenses--we just didn't realize how far that bar could get pushed by candidate/President Trump and his imitators. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Come again?  Perry did the same stupid, of it's time, pandering bullshit that Abbott is doing; he just did it before Trump broke the GOP's brain and there was still a constituency of educated "small government" sympathizers to put a veneer of respectability on a host of policies overwhelmingly to the benefit of the donor class. 

It's like ya'll are forgetting how many threads we had on shaggy in regards to Perry's efforts to fuck The University and higher ed in general, the hypocrisy of a small government conservative proposing both the Trans Texas Corridor and statewide HPV vaccination, cronyism in state appointments, etc.  I can't speak to what was sincere and what was purely to set the stage of his presidential run, but I don't recall there being a lot of "oh, well he wouldn't go THAT far," in our threads on the various offenses--we just didn't realize how far that bar could get pushed by candidate/President Trump and his imitators. 

With Perry, you could almost always figure out why he would do something - HPV stuff - Pfizer or Merck or whoever hiring staff/family/friends, the Trans-Texas Corridor - Cintra, Rudy Giulianni (still don't know how he worked both sides literally), various construction companies and land speculators, the Perots, etc.

Almost all of it made sense, even if it was cronyism. And if you put on rose-colored glasses,  you could say "well the HPV thing is a serious issue that we need to be talking about" and "the TTC could have been an economic boon of sorts for Texas, including pulling business/importing away from California (and moving it to Mexico/rail to push up through Texas) and it could have revolutionized a lot of transportation issues we face, etc."

I always loved the TTC because there was no plan once it got to Oklahoma. I mean, I know they did surveys for a corridor through Oklahoma (cousin worked on that project) but they ran into issues ranging from Okie politicians didn't care or didn't want to fuck with taking farm/ranchland, to them worrying that it would take away from Okie businesses that shipped along the Arkansas river to taking business away from the large truck stops that are scattered around (but spend a lot of money on politicians) to fucking with the turnpike system. But by Gawd, Perry and Co. were going to build up it right up to the Oklahoma border and hope something happened.

Abbott is doing stupid shit that is destroying his reputation and destroying Texas, and you can't point to one donor and say "that's why he's doing it.".

I mean, sure you can point at Rod DeSantaClaus and say "Abbott has taken little man syndrome to the extreme and is literally trying to emulate a little man" but I agree with YGIFS, something has broken in Abbott's brain.  He's willing to fuck up Texas's future in order to make a very small group of nutcases happy (many of them are not even in Texas, which is the really bizarre/shitty part). Perry's donors were mostly pushing shit that was meant to bring money to Texas (even if it was for their bank accounts). Abbott is willing to drive Texans out of Texas, and to wreck Texas's future in order to make these people happy.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

With Perry, you could almost always figure out why he would do something - HPV stuff - Pfizer or Merck or whoever hiring staff/family/friends, the Trans-Texas Corridor - Cintra, Rudy Giulianni (still don't know how he worked both sides literally), various construction companies and land speculators, the Perots, etc.
Almost all of it made sense, even if it was cronyism. And if you put on rose-colored glasses,  you could say "well the HPV thing is a serious issue that we need to be talking about" and "the TTC could have been an economic boon of sorts for Texas, including pulling business/importing away from California (and moving it to Mexico/rail to push up through Texas) and it could have revolutionized a lot of transportation issues we face, etc."
I always loved the TTC because there was no plan once it got to Oklahoma. I mean, I know they did surveys for a corridor through Oklahoma (cousin worked on that project) but they ran into issues ranging from Okie politicians didn't care or didn't want to fuck with taking farm/ranchland, to them worrying that it would take away from Okie businesses that shipped along the Arkansas river to taking business away from the large truck stops that are scattered around (but spend a lot of money on politicians) to fucking with the turnpike system. But by Gawd, Perry and Co. were going to build up it right up to the Oklahoma border and hope something happened.
Abbott is doing stupid shit that is destroying his reputation and destroying Texas, and you can't point to one donor and say "that's why he's doing it.".
I mean, sure you can point at Rod DeSantaClaus and say "Abbott has taken little man syndrome to the extreme and is literally trying to emulate a little man" but I agree with YGIFS, something has broken in Abbott's brain.  He's willing to fuck up Texas's future in order to make a very small group of nutcases happy (many of them are not even in Texas, which is the really bizarre/shitty part). Perry's donors were mostly pushing shit that was meant to bring money to Texas (even if it was for their bank accounts). Abbott is willing to drive Texans out of Texas, and to wreck Texas's future in order to make these people happy.

Texit is a thing. But not in the way the GQP thinks it is.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

55 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Texit is a thing. But not in the way the GQP thinks it is.

Perry wasn't serious though.  He would toss shit out there to get some attention or win some kudos, sure, but he wouldn't go hard in the paint like Abbott and try and force it to happen.

Here's an example: If Abbott saw the stuff about the Tennessee legislators wanting to lower the age of consent for marriage or whatever was involved with them wanting to bang young teen brides (or pre-teen?), and that got a little traction among some MAGA influencers, and Rod DeSanctimony maybe mentioned something vaguely about it, and the influencers were like "oh it's a shame nobody would stand up for our freedom to marry young girls", at this point in time, Abbott might very well be talking about a special session for the marriage laws in Texas.

Perry or his staff would read the room and be like "nah, we're good, we don't need to go on the record about old white dudes marrying 13 year-olds, y'all can go do that in Tennessee."

Abbott only seems to care about currying favor with a bunch of people who probably don't even give a shit about him at the end of the day, and would vote for Don or Rod or anybody but a dude in a wheelchair.

Perry ultimately knew he'd never sniff the White House after his failed run, and the fact that he got a cabinet position was still amazing.

Abbott doesn't even realize that he won't sniff the top 4 in the Texas Republican primaries next year.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?

As a white man, I feel uncomfortable saying this but......

there seems to be no one sporting their natural hair here.

What a strange ironing  irony.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

So Garrett Foster was sentenced over a month ago. Where is Abbott with the pardon he promised?

It was Daniel Perry. When all of the racist stuff came out about Perry and how he was looking to hunt down some people, Abbott got really fucking quiet. Abbott is doing and appealing to some really stupid people, but even he knows the optics of pardoning a racist who was looking to hunt down protestors.  And the victim was a veteran who was literally standing his ground, and that was not lost on some.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was Daniel Perry. When all of the racist stuff came out about Perry and how he was looking to hunt down some people, Abbott got really fucking quiet. Abbott is doing and appealing to some really stupid people, but even he knows the optics of pardoning a racist who was looking to hunt down protestors.  And the victim was a veteran who was literally standing his ground, and that was not lost on some.

Dammit. Got my names crossed. Yeah, I was being facetious with my question given the background that we now know about Perry. Was just using it as a further example of Abbott saying something completely stupid and then having to roll it back when he realizes how badly he was getting roasted in the national media.

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i know what you meant... but Garrett Foster was the victim, dude 🙄 Daniel Perry is the murderer. 

Yeah, got my names crossed.

• Hook 'Em 1