Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Greg going to have to send more National Guard or police to the border to show he's tough on Mexicans.  Also Greg will support the Rangers as a result of this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/18/sport/mexico-amlo-world-series-astros-cec/index.html

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is a devoted baseball fan. And this week, he weighed in with a World Series prediction.

“I support Houston as a repeat champion of the World Series,” he wrote in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter. “There are many Texans of Mexican origin. And as the corrido from the Tigres del Norte says: ’I didn’t cross the border. The border crossed me.’”

In his post on Sunday, AMLO shared a photo of him standing beside Astros pitcher José Urquidy, who was born in Mexico. And he noted that a number of Astros players are Latino.

“Also, even though the governor of this state is very racist and anti-immigrant,” AMLO wrote, “on the baseball team of nine who play, five are Latinos, sometimes six, when our countryman José Urquidy enters to pitch. That’s all, don’t get mad.”

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Does he know how interstate highways work?  

Well we do have those interstate border patrol checkpoints.  Don’t you remember the guy with the modified Eagle Talon on here with all the cameras that would troll the BP by not rolling down his windows?

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

30 years of Texas Republicans doing nothing on the border, and the guy elected 3 years ago is at fault.

I see it as a federal issue. If it's not what the Biden admin wants, I'm not sure why he doesn't tell Texas to knock it off, honestly. 

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s a federal issue until Texas Congressmen go on Fox News and announce to the world they have cultivated an environment of open borders and have done nothing to curtail it.

it's one huge scam

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s a federal issue until Texas Congressmen go on Fox News and announce to the world they have cultivated an environment of open borders and have done nothing to curtail it.

I wonder how many Texas Congressmen have authored border security bills in Congress.

I'm setting the over/under at 0.5.

Edited by CooterBrown

I said it in the legislature thread, this massive ramp up in racist bullshit, whether it be trying to take over Houston's voting, hauling Hispanic Americans to the Mexican border if they don't provide their papers to a cop, or sending people to prison for 10 years for giving a ride to somebody who isn't here legally, it's coming on the heels of Hispanics passing up whites in Texas demographics.

This is the last gasp of a party that thinks it's going to lose power if it doesn't crack the whip and make people fear it.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I said it in the legislature thread, this massive ramp up in racist bullshit, whether it be trying to take over Houston's voting, hauling Hispanic Americans to the Mexican border if they don't provide their papers to a cop, or sending people to prison for 10 years for giving a ride to somebody who isn't here legally, it's coming on the heels of Hispanics passing up whites in Texas demographics.

This is the last gasp of a party that thinks it's going to lose power if it doesn't crack the whip and make people fear it.

if 10 to 15% more latin voters show up, Texas MAGA GQP is toast 

• Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Fixed. Not a guarantee anymore. 

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yep.  The Rio Grande Valley voting numbers for Trump were troubling.  

1) Hispanics are not a voting bloc, and Texas Democrats have made a grave mistake of ever thinking of them that way. The ones who fit the socioeconomic markers we associate with white Republican voters are Republican voters. 
2) The dominance of Democrats in the RGV/South Texas is a product of machine politics and it's not a pretty picture. I can't blame ambitious political types for seeking an alternative. @tx 3 putt is 100% right about what 10-15% higher hispanic turnout would mean because of the split, but it's the other areas of the state outside the RGV that they need to cultivate and they aren't effectively doing it. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 12:16 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

2) The dominance of Democrats in the RGV/South Texas is a product of machine politics and it's not a pretty picture. I can't blame ambitious political types for seeking an alternative. @tx 3 putt is 100% right about what 10-15% higher hispanic turnout would mean because of the split, but it's the other areas of the state outside the RGV that they need to cultivate and they aren't effectively doing it. 

It's kinda depressing. A cohort in my grad school is from McAllen or Edinburgh. Mexican-American. Tells me with glee about how happy he is about the busing program to LA, NY, etc. Can both-sides with the best of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holding public education and teachers hostage for his pet project of a $10K to rich private-school parents. The fact that he isn't being lambasted for this is insane to me.

Greg Abbott: Your piddly rural school will get a little money when I get something for the well-off parents in the Dallas suburbs. 

25 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Will keep getting raised just enough to keep the poors out. 

It's already more than enough to keep the poors out, even with a 10,400 voucher. See below. 

9 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

I know what it is for a first-grader at a school in Austin, and it's more than double $10,400.

Standard private school cost for a kid is in the 25k dollar a year range. Obvoiusly some are in the 40-50k a year range. But if the average amount is about 25k per year, it's about to be about, oh, 35,400 per year. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Standard private school cost for a kid is in the 25k dollar a year range. Obvoiusly some are in the 40-50k a year range. But if the average amount is about 25k per year, it's about to be about, oh, 35,400 per year. 

What the actual fuck that's more than my fucking undergrad education cost PLUS COST OF LIVING IN AUSTIN IN THE EARLY TEENS

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

What the actual fuck that's more than my fucking undergrad education cost PLUS COST OF LIVING IN AUSTIN IN THE EARLY TEENS

Yes. Now imagine that you have 3-4 kids, and you've enrolled them in those various schools from pre-school to high school. You're paying well over a million dollars just to get your kids TO college. The math is staggering. 

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. Now imagine that you have 3-4 kids, and you've enrolled them in those various schools from pre-school to high school. You're paying well over a million dollars just to get your kids TO college. The math is staggering. 

And if you have 3-4 kids, 1-2 of them are going to be fuckups that piss that money away and end up in community college.

10 minutes ago, tchookem said:
7 hours ago, Al Czervik said:
Will keep getting raised just enough to keep the poors out. 

They don't have to raise prices. A private school can just say no, and take the voucher money from the families they want to let in.

this

a friend of mine has her kid going through pre k interviews now, at some higher end private schools

a fucking 4yo, being interviewed 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this

a friend of mine has her kid going through pre k interviews now, at some higher end private schools

a fucking 4yo, being interviewed 

That's not going to fuck up a kid - if they don't get in, I imagine the parent(s) will probably not be very happy.

I don't even like the whole interview thing for public school kids going into one of the specialty programs in junior high (performing arts, STEM, etc.).