Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

This. I mean it’s so obvious you can set your watch to it.

He could get away with it when he was merely an annoyance to most of us.  Hell, while I never cared for him, I thought he was doing enough to avoid the limelight and letting Patrick, etc. catch shit for the stupid stuff that passes for the (R) platform in Texas these days.  He could be a bit stupid here and there last year during COVID, but he knew what hills not to die on.

But he truly went full idiot with Huffines entering the race.  

He's went from annoying a lot of Texans to actively working against them and pissing them off.  

I really hope Huffines goes third party, but I don't know if Huffines is man enough to take on the establishment GOP.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/republican-governor-frenemies-compete-for-national-limelight

It only took a few hours for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis to deliver his rejoinder this week to Texas Governor Greg Abbott. On Monday evening, Abbott had used his executive powers to ban employers from mandating Covid-19 shots, and half a day later, DeSantis was floating new legislation to effectively do the same. 

It’s a tit-for-tat that’s been playing out for months between the best-known Republican governors in the U.S. -- and potential presidential candidates in 2024. Abbott and DeSantis, both lawyers by trade, have followed similar political playbooks over the past few years when it comes to showing their conservative bona fides, from banning mask mandates in schools, to calling for harsh clamp-downs on undocumented immigrants. 

The rivalry shows how Republicans in two of the biggest states are under pressure to pursue the types of populist efforts that would please Donald Trump and his loyalists, even at the risk of alienating moderates and businesses worried about recruiting candidates turned off by restrictive social policies. Hard-line approaches like curtailing school rules aimed at coronavirus safety are losers in polls, but rules framed as expanding “freedom” serve as an extension of Trump’s fire-up-the-base strategy. Far from turning the page on Trump’s GOP, both men are trying to out-Trump one another. 

“In many ways, they are frenemies,” said Aubrey Jewett, a political science professor at the University of Central Florida. The two share many policy priorities, but “on the other hand, they both are smartenough to realize that they may be trying to reach the same goal.” 

For now, DeSantis may be coming out ahead in the quest to establish his credentials nationally, already sitting atop some early polls for the Republican spot on the 2024 presidential ballot assuming Trump doesn’t run. The 43-year-old former U.S. congressman has experienced a swift rise since he landed Trump’s endorsement in the 2018 GOP primary for Florida governor, which he parlayed into a surprise victory in America’s largest swing state. He’s been broadly aligned with Trump ever since.

“Governor DeSantis has never criticized Governor Abbott and certainly does not see him as an ‘opponent,’” Pushaw said. “It’s up to the people of Texas and their elected leaders to decide which policies are best for their state. Governor DeSantis is focused on doing what’s best for the people of Florida.”

1200x-1.png

James and Patty Huffines on Thursday night and Saturday morning on campus, "Don is up to something strange but we want no part of it."  Twice quoted.  Both times they were sober, I was drunk.  But they followed it up with something to the effect of, "We've always supported Governor Abbott, but he's falling for all the wrong moves here.  We're unsure of what he's doing."  /csb

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But they followed it up with something to the effect of, "We've always supported Governor Abbott, but he's falling for all the wrong moves here.  We're unsure of what he's doing."

He's doing what Soros wants him to do, which is motivate Democrats/moderates/Independents to get out and vote against the GOP.

56 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Kevin kline’s greatest role.

Its kkkkk Ken kkkk coming to kkkk kill me.

Oooh you English are soooo superior.

There’s only one scene with both Michael Palin and John Cleese together but it’s one of the funniest scenes of all time.

”The Caaaa. The Caaaa.”

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Less hilarious for smart people to act like they don't see what is going on. 

And even less hilarious to think where Abbott will try and take us as he gets more and more paranoid about DeSantis out-Trumping him for 2024 while Huffines is piling on in the short term.

I hate to think about what Abbott's Hail Mary is, but whatever it is, a bunch of Texans will needlessly suffer for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Kevin kline’s greatest role.

Its kkkkk Ken kkkk coming to kkkk kill me.

Oooh you English are soooo superior.

Fierce Creatures -- kind of a spiritual follow-up to Wanda -- is sneaky funny too. Kline is great in that as well.

He's already had Tucker Carlson bashing him, and Tucker had people on that bashed him.  It's pinned right there on Huffines's twitter page.

In terms of 2022, I still think he's slightly afraid that Huffines will go MAGA/3rd party and peel off enough to toss the election to the Democrat.  Huffines seems exactly like the kind of type to do it - every day he's trying to poison the well with Abbott and the GOP. If West joined in with Huffines, Abbott would feel a little more heat, but I think West is just fundraising for the future.

Abbott would have remembered 2006 where four candidates got double digits, and Perry won with less than 40% of the vote.  Abbott doesn't win in a scenario like that.

Overall, I think it's all about 2024 and DeSantis. If Abbott loses Trump's endorsement now, he still wins his primary, but the road to 2024 becomes an uphill battle.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:00 PM, atomheartbevo said:

And even less hilarious to think where Abbott will try and take us as he gets more and more paranoid about DeSantis out-Trumping him for 2024 while Huffines is piling on in the short term.

I hate to think about what Abbott's Hail Mary is, but whatever it is, a bunch of Texans will needlessly suffer for it.

I still think he's saving a DPS raid on Huffine's communities to round up illegals until closer to the election. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t know, he’s willing to sink his ratings with moderates/independents to appease MAGA. If you told me that a year ago, I would have been surprised.  

But for the most part he's done so acting like a reactionary pussy, usually as Huffines is pulling his puppet strings.  Organizing a DPS raid or something like that would require balls that Abbott just doesn't have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But for the most part he's done so acting like a reactionary pussy, usually as Huffines is pulling his puppet strings.  Organizing a DPS raid or something like that would require balls that Abbott just doesn't have.

Abbott will win the primary.  Even if Trump came out and endorsed Huffines, I don't see a scenario where Abbott loses. But if Huffines went third-party in the general, he could hand a win to the Dems, and then Abbott's political career is over.

I'll back up and say this: Abbott wouldn't do something like a DPS raid before the primary, but if Huffines went third-party in the general, absolutely.

Abbott will win the primary.  Even if Trump came out and endorsed Huffines, I don't see a scenario where Abbott loses. But if Huffines went third-party in the general, he could hand a win to the Dems, and then Abbott's political career is over.
I'll back up and say this: Abbott wouldn't do something like a DPS raid before the primary, but if Huffines went third-party in the general, absolutely.

I don’t see any real chance Abbott loses on the first ballot. His risk is not hitting 50% and finding himself in a wingnut runoff against Huffines a la the Dewhurst-Cruz primary.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t know, he’s willing to sink his ratings with moderates/independents to appease MAGA. If you told me that a year ago, I would have been surprised.  

Because primary voters are primarily true believers and/or highly educated, and there isn't much of the latter left in the GOP. Casual GOP/independent voters aren't paying attention right now and will just fall for the "Beto will make abortion mandatory and it will happen at socialized medical facilities" line and that's your ballgame. 

Also, Abbott shooting a Breitbart segment at DKR while killing a paid opposition political ad on LHN has me convinced he posts on DT as someone who whines about CRing threads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It still blows my mind that the GOP has lurched so far to the extreme right in the Primary process that a sitting Governor of Texas would prefer to increase the death rate, hospitalization rate, and long term debilitation of the citizenry of the state our of fear of not being extreme enough to survive a GOP primary.

Let that soak in a second...

Dead people, are PREFERRED to following science!

Oh well onto the "real" GOP issues, attacking transgender children, making sure white racist's children don'd feel bad about their racist families, ignoring the largest Government designed citizen kill in Texas with Abbott's ERCOT, ignoring the endless abuse of foster children on Abbott' watch. In other words The GOP simply does not solve problems, it creates new crisis instead of problem solving.  

The good news for Abbott is liberal ass Austin is such an economic engine for the State that the Gov can point to the place he hates most as "his" greatest success!

• Like 6

He is a licensed attorney. He calls vaccine mandates “clearly unconstitutional.” In spite of long-standing authority, from the SCOTUS, unambiguously saying the exact opposite. I mean, not “you could construe it that way,” it is actually directly on point and clear as a bell.

We live in a dystopian state based solely on propaganda/lies. And remember, Repubs, this is what you WANT. This is the government you have demanded, and received.
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

Why in the blue fuck would the University of Texas allow Governor Abbott, any fucking governor of elected official, to give a partisan interview to a partisan media outlet in the middle of its mother fucking football stadium?  Can Hartzel at least let folks know that the University does not endorse Abbott's views expressed in that interview, or even some watered-down "we take no position on these matters" message?  Am I the only one infuriated by this?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Eltife told Hartzell "this interview at DKR is happening, make it happen.  stfu."  Hartzell winced at it, and then got a phone call from Milliken to reiterate the message.  And it worked because J.B. Milliken is as smooth as Smoove B from the Onion.  

In the good old days, folks like Eltife and Milliken would have told Abbott to fuck off because that is stupid shit, that trump is a loser and a dumbass, and all of it is bad for business. now i dont know what the fuck to think if republicans are no longer driven by business and making a buck.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Why in the blue fuck would the University of Texas allow Governor Abbott, any fucking governor of elected official, to give a partisan interview to a partisan media outlet in the middle of its mother fucking football stadium?  Can Hartzel at least let folks know that the University does not endorse Abbott's views expressed in that interview, or even some watered-down "we take no position on these matters" message?  Am I the only one infuriated by this?

You are not.  Between this, and the university getting on board with having a new nutbar conservative "think tank" affiliated with and branded with the university....our university is on its way to going full GQP.  And they may be doing it at gunpoint -- I suspect there have been some "existential threat" messages communicated to university leadership by the governor and legislative leaders.  If UT doesn't play along and support the GQP's lurch to being a fascist authoritarian force that controls all messaging, education, etc., then UT will find itself gutted.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You are not.  Between this, and the university getting on board with having a new nutbar conservative "think tank" affiliated with and branded with the university....our university is on its way to going full GQP.  And they may be doing it at gunpoint -- I suspect there have been some "existential threat" messages communicated to university leadership by the governor and legislative leaders.  If UT doesn't play along and support the GQP's lurch to being a fascist authoritarian force that controls all messaging, education, etc., then UT will find itself gutted.

And we joined the SEC.

This is what the University of Texas is now. 

• Rage+1 4

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My best buddy dates a UT Psychology professor.  She says Hartzel is a closet Trump guy.  I wouldn't expect much out of him in this regard.

24 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You are not. 

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And we joined the SEC.

This is what the University of Texas is now. 

I'm afraid that you're right.

We're going full retrograde, all gas, no brakes.  We're going to be just another joke SEC university within the next 20 years, in every respect.  Oh, except for our student body, which will be completely out-of-synch with the university and its philosophy.  Due to the top 6% rule and Texas's demographics, we'll have one of the most diverse student bodies in the country.....and they will likely be required to take a mandatory freshman-level course in how "intelligent design" is how biology works, slaves were actually happy workers who were well taken care of and liked their situation, and taxation is evil and we should all work 80 hour weeks to make the oligarchs we work for richer, because that's capitalism and anything else is communist evil.

If you had given the leadership of Texas a charge of "make Texas like Mississippi, but worse -- add in some cool wrinkles like failing infrastructure and basic systems of life," we would be looking at their list of recent achievements and to-do list in that regard and saying "holy shit, these guys are some real go-getters!"

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My best buddy dates a UT Psychology professor.  She says Hartzel is a closet Trump guy.  I wouldn't expect much out of him in this regard.

It's pretty fucking obvious at this point

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm afraid that you're right.

We're going full retrograde, all gas, no brakes.  We're going to be just another joke SEC university within the next 20 years, in every respect.  Oh, except for our student body, which will be completely out-of-synch with the university and its philosophy.  Due to the top 6% rule and Texas's demographics, we'll have one of the most diverse student bodies in the country.....and they will likely be required to take a mandatory freshman-level course in how "intelligent design" is how biology works, slaves were actually happy workers who were well taken care of and liked their situation, and taxation is evil and we should all work 80 hour weeks to make the oligarchs we work for richer, because that's capitalism and anything else is communist evil.

If you had given the leadership of Texas a charge of "make Texas like Mississippi, but worse -- add in some cool wrinkles like failing infrastructure and basic systems of life," we would be looking at their list of recent achievements and to-do list in that regard and saying "holy shit, these guys are some real go-getters!"

It's the Romans fighting gladiators for the amusement of the plebe's--we got football, and that's all that matters.  When they're freezing, maybe they can watch football to feel warmer, and when prices rise, maybe they can watch football to distract them from hunger, homelessness and rising health care and education costs.   In a Democracy, you get what you vote for.  Well, actually in a real Democracy, where the minority party doesn't actually rule.  We're a dumb society. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Am I the only one infuriated by this?

No. I am a taxpayer residing in Texas and my dollars are supposed to be nonpartisan and benefit all citizens. UT is a public institution.

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

...Due to the top 6% rule and Texas's demographics, we'll have one of the most diverse student bodies in the country....

Weeeeeel, not so fast my optimistic friend. SCOTUS is likely to overturn AA in the very near future, so I expect UT to become a taxpayer supported institution that does not resemble its population. For quite some time, the student bodies of both A&M and UT while trending diverse have also been trending much wealthier. If AA is over-ruled by the Supreme Court, then I expect the wealthy part to remain the same but the student body to become less diverse and for legacy and other admit exceptions to be resumed.

I remember what you said, 'there is no bottom.' Abbott and Co. have given me no reason to doubt that.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
spell
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

It's frustrating, but Hartzell and Del Conte are old white men in Texas. That demographic is easily 2:1 Republican. The odds are they love it.

Edited by gmr548

16 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Also consider the general BMD demographic....

This.  Just like back in the days of segregation, our BMDs are throwing their weight around, and don't like this librul progressive shit like letting black boys go to the same university as their pretty white daughters.

It's the same shit, slightly different iteration.