Oregon legalizes Psilocybin - decrims all drugs

ztejas

I don't use any drugs outside of alcohol but I can give zero shits about this. (edit: meaning jailing people for mushrooms etc is stupid)

I think marijuana should be legalized at federal level and decriminalize the rest in terms of personal use quantities.

Edited by BrazilHorn

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Finally a thread in the CR that doesn’t make me sick to my stomach to post in. All I can say is

giphy.gif

I wish Texas would hurry up and get on board with this.

I almost posted in DT but wanted to be safe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

I really wish you would have. I’m pretty sure this is non partisan issue here on Surly.

Yeah well I thought condemning domestic terrorists was a non partisan issue and we see how well that worked out. 

There's more space for discussion here anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3

The only thing upsetting me about this is weed is still illegal at the federal level, which will undoubtedly make the pearl clutchers clutch more in the illegal states.

Basically my hope is a clear and continuing discernment of marijuana vs other illegal drugs--no piggybacking on the green rush. 

End marijuana as a scheduled 1 controlled substance so that it can be used, researched and taxed like it should be alongside alcohol. 

AFTER THAT, decriminalize whatever the fuck is out there (which I do support whole heartedly.)

• Hook 'Em 2

In Oregon, all illegal drugs – including heroin, cocaine and methamphetamines – will be decriminalized, meanwhile psilocybin, or psychoactive mushrooms, will be legalized for therapeutic use – a historic first.

Time to pick up that black tar heroin habit. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah well I thought condemning domestic terrorists was a non partisan issue and we see how well that worked out. 

There's more space for discussion here anyway.

No shit, right? I'm sure we have a few brain washed folks on the board that still view our current approach to the war on drugs as necessary, but I think even most Trumpers probably don't have an issue with it. 

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not sure if this was in reply to my post but there's obvious flaws still-- namely I as a Texan am one of those unlucky 2. But I'm sure you already know this. 

Shit. Weed is basically legal in Texas unless you live out in the boonies. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It will be interesting for sure. It will be great if all of the meth heads migrate there. Just have them all live in one place and not bother the rest of us

Unless I'm misinterpreting, all those drugs are still illegal in large quantities, meaning production and distribution.  They just aren't going to waste resources putting a dude in jail for having a hit or two of crank.  

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also very illegal if your skin is even slightly darker than a onion.

Mmmm. No. I'm talking about on the books prosecution. You have to have like a QP on you to get arrested in most Urban counties. DAs aren't wasting time on small time pot charges when there's a good chance they will all get tossed in a few years.

(That doesn't mean go fuck around in Wilco or Collin county)

Edited by ztejas

mexico did this at least 10 years or so ago.

we were staying in a house with about 15 people, and one of the caretakers explained how it worked.  basically, if the policia came (not that they would, and if they did, it would just be to try and take a bribe) they couldn't do shit unless you literally had more than the personal usage amount for every person in the house (each drug had a different limit), even if one person had it all in their possession. 

seemed like a pretty big loophole, but it's mexico, so yeah.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shit. Weed is basically legal in Texas unless you live out in the boonies. 

Meh. Suburbs were mighty tight on it when I served on GJ about 3 years ago.  I swear every dumbass was either illegally carrying a weapon and/ or pot/ THCwax/ whatever they vape.

It's a gateway drug...for prosecution everywhere.

After hearing all of those cases for 12 weeks, I just scratched my head..."We're going after dudes with a vape pen?"  while this motherfucker over here beat the shit out of his girlfriend or this sorry bitch had her baby on craigslist for sickos to play with in a hotel room?  Chasing mice while getting trampled by elephants.  Absolutely trite and cliche... but invariably true.

Legalize it.  Prosecute behavior, not possession.

Edited by slorch

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

mexico did this at least 10 years or so ago.

we were staying in a house with about 15 people, and one of the caretakers explained how it worked.  basically, if the policia came (not that they would, and if they did, it would just be to try and take a bribe) they couldn't do shit unless you literally had more than the personal usage amount for every person in the house (each drug had a different limit), even if one person had it all in their possession. 

seemed like a pretty big loophole, but it's mexico, so yeah.

Yeah, it breaks down like this: it's 
                         legal to buy it, it's legal to own 
                         it and, if you're the proprietor of 
                         a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. 
                         It's legal to carry it, which doesn't 
                         really matter 'cause – get a load of 
                         this – if the cops stop you, it's 
                         illegal for this to search you. 
                         Searching you is a right that the 
                         cops in Amsterdam don't have.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Seriously not trying to start shit here, genuinely curious. I’ve always been for legalizing weed, and before San Francisco I was for legalizing everything. But after traveling to SF for work a few times and seeing all the junkies just chillin in the street, taking dumps, messing with people, shooting up in broad daylight, etc. I dont know. Its pretty much fucking chaos. I’m curious what’s going on there, because that’s fucking terrible. Is SF doing something differently than what Oregon will be doing?

Educate me or rip me to shreds for my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, wutang75 said:

Seriously not trying to start shit here, genuinely curious. I’ve always been for legalizing weed, and before San Francisco I was for legalizing everything. But after traveling to SF for work a few times and seeing all the junkies just chillin in the street, taking dumps, messing with people, shooting up in broad daylight, etc. I dont know. Its pretty much fucking chaos. I’m curious what’s going on there, because that’s fucking terrible. Is SF doing something differently than what Oregon will be doing?

Educate me or rip me to shreds for my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Junkies doing drugs in the streets and people doing drugs are two different issues. 

The issue is SF lets bums live on the streets. That is a different problem. They need to find solutions and programs to treat addiction and mental illness, and also stop letting bums live in the streets. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You can treat addiction. You can't treat drugs

For non addicts, drugs are a treat!  As a sober alcoholic Christmas from my Oregon sibling consists of cool shit from Columbia. . .sportswear.  My wife, however, gets loaded down with goodies from Electric Lettuce.

Edited by BearSchlong

2 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

For non addicts, drugs are a treat!  As a sober alcoholic Christmas from my Oregon sibling consists of cool shit from Columbia. . .sportswear.  My wife, however, gets loaded down with goodies from Electric Lettuce.

you edited this post to say that? I still don't know what half of it means

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wutang75 said:

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Junkies doing drugs in the streets and people doing drugs are two different issues. 

The issue is SF lets bums live on the streets. That is a different problem. They need to find solutions and programs to treat addiction and mental illness, and also stop letting bums live in the streets. 

Those aren't junkies.  They're just Tech workers

• Haha 1

why expungement?  It was wrong when it happened, right?

Never have been willing to give folks a pass, as if having pot on you was just inevitable.  Nah, dawg.  It's deliberate.

When the law changes, then roll with it.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

why expungement?  It was wrong when it happened, right?

Never have been willing to give folks a pass, as if having pot on you was just inevitable.  Nah, dawg.  It's deliberate.

When the law changes, then roll with it.

You and I agree on a lot, but I could not disagree more with this.  Anyone nationwide that is in jail currently simply for possession of narcotics should be released and have their record expunged. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Good book on the subject. A lot of commonsense that escapes many given the "war on drugs" propaganda. 

image.thumb.png.937fa4c3b98945a04d540a0b9cdceae4.png

“Johann Hari has written a drug policy reform book like no other. Many have studied, or conducted, the science surrounding the manifold ills of drug prohibition. But Hari puts it all into riveting story form, and humanizes it… Part Gonzo journalism, part Louis CK standup, part Mark Twain storytelling, Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs is beautifully wrought: lively, humorous, and poignant. And, it’s a compelling case for why the drug war must end, yesterday.”

– NORMAN STAMPER, FORMER CHIEF OF THE SEATTLE POLICE

https://chasingthescream.com

• Hook 'Em 1

Expunction (my preferred term) has never really been about guilty or not guilty (there are species of expunction relating to arrest records that are available when there's no guilty finding).

It's about cleansing someone's record of an offense that, for whatever of various reasons, maybe doesn't need to go down on their permanent record./Femmes

Part of the drug legalization justification is that it never should have been illegal in the first place, so, even if a person is technically or every other way guilty of a drug offense, expunction can be justified.

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

You and I agree on a lot, but I could not disagree more with this.  Anyone nationwide that is in jail currently simply for possession of narcotics should be released and have their record expunged. 

we're just going to disagree, and that's cool.  When I speed, I know I am speeding.  If I'm walking around with illegal drugs, I know it.

What compels me to understand your take?   Not that you owe it to me, but I am interested in the case to be made, beyond, "It's a stupid law."