Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

54 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Machinator said:
Nahlin also specifically said that Pat Hudson and Mikey Grandy are fully participating in workouts.

Praise be to all known dieties...even that Indian one with 8 arms.

That’s what Shiva said.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

We have DL depth this year.

Omenihu, Nelson, Graham, Hager, Bimage, Chisholm, Wilbon. Maybe add Ojomo to that depending on how good a summer he has.

No 12 year old is gonna start for us.

Top 5 DL

Hager

Roach

Ominehu

Nelson

Graham

6-8 probably in some order

Wilbon

Chisolm

Bimage

Plus Xmas and Fitzgerald.

Any incoming freshman that hopes to play in 2018 is going to have to be better than that 6-8 group imo.

Think we see a lot of 3-2-6 also because USC and OU are really the only running teams we might need to worry about

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Think we see a lot of 3-2-6 also because USC and OU are really the only running teams we might need to worry about

This right here. Gonna be a whole bunch of dime from a 3 man front. And Orlando is going to dial up some fairly exotic blitzes out of that scheme. No idea how successful this year will be overall, but I do know we'll all learn a lot about defense if we're paying attention, because it's going to be a clinic in how to mix and match.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think the goal is to play Roach at the stand-up B-backer position. And I know we played him at Rover some this spring, but I'll believe that he can do that in the Big 12 when I see it.

At this point, the formation talk is fairly misleading. If we play a lot of 3-2-6, my bet is one of the 2 will be Roach and he will be blitzing/rushing a ton, so it will functionally be close to a 4-1. Either way, I’ll be very surprised if Orlando doesn’t change up the D some from last year where Malik and GJ both played more traditional LB roles. One X-factor could be how much Overshown can contribute his first year. If he really came in at 215, he could be physically ready to get snaps at the big S/Jason Hall role, but who knows where he’s at mentally and it would be a big adjustment from playing at Arp last year. 

Edit: Also, btw, Overshown at 215 is huge! We need him to be ready to play Rover next year pretty badly because we don’t have anyone else who can play that spot at the moment. Also because we’re pretty set at S, and I think obershown’s best chance to reach his ceiling is at LB. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

At this point, the formation talk is fairly misleading. If we play a lot of 3-2-6, my bet is one of the 2 will be Roach and he will be blitzing/rushing a ton, so it will functionally be close to a 4-1. Either way, I’ll be very surprised if Orlando doesn’t change up the D some from last year where Malik and GJ both played more traditional LB roles. One X-factor could be how much Overshown can contribute his first year. If he really came in at 215, he could be physically ready to get snaps at the big S/Jason Hall role, but who knows where he’s at mentally and it would be a big adjustment from playing at Arp last year. 

You're right; it's going to be a best 11 approach and it's well nigh impossible to imagine such a starting unit without a healthy Roach in it. He showed some promise with his interior blitzing in the spring game so that could be something to watch (wish I could go back and review the spring game, but all video has vanished from the Internet).

As for Overshown, I think he kills some fools on special teams from the start and by the time we get to the bowl game (Lord help me if we somehow don't make one this season), he'll be ready to deploy as a box safety at least on some snaps.

Edited by Machinator

Yeah, I see a lot of 4-2-5 and 4-1-6 this season.
ah, shit... people around here hate 425 for some reason... they also hate 33 stack... and fire zone blitzes...

pretty much anything run by Strong and Diaz is hated... for no tactical reason that I have heard.

of course, we do all of these now, so they're great again.

54 minutes ago, Snacks said:

ah, shit... people around here hate 425 for some reason... they also hate 33 stack... and fire zone blitzes...

pretty much anything run by Strong and Diaz is hated... for no tactical reason that I have heard.

I don't hate any formation, really. We could have 7 down linemen and 4 DBs, and I'd be happy, so long as it worked.

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

You’ve gone off the rails as a poster over the past few years. It’s been bizarre to observe, really. 

• Like 1

Texas's turn!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/11/17420426/texas-longhorns-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Last year, we saw plenty of signs of the Hermanesque coaching we were getting used to at Houston. UT was strong in field position and defense. The Horns held something in reserve for the big games, as Herman did at UH. In six games as an underdog, they overachieved by an average of 7.8 points against the spread, winning twice and beating the spread five times. They nearly beat two power conference champs in USC (lost in OT) and Oklahoma (lost by five), both away from home.

They also slightly underachieved as favorites. And if things go according to plan, they’ll be favorites far more than underdogs this year.

This is a big year in Austin. We’ve seen false starts before. After Brown’s Longhorns collapsed in 2010, they rebounded to 9-4 and 17th in S&P+ before regressing. Charlie Strong looked like he had a nice foundation going after his first year, then went 5-7 twice.

Herman’s offense was lethargic, conservative, and inconsistent last year, but there was still promise because of youth on O and occasional dominance on D. Now it’s time to actually build on that promise. 2018 could be the year that Herman either lifts off or begins falling into the same weird traps that befell Brown and Strong. I’m betting former, but latter’s on the table.

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

7.3 wins? That seems...low

His model has us favored in 9 games, but obviously statistically we're likely to lose one or two of those, and we're really un-favored vs. OU and @ Okie Lite.

As he says, if our QB is remotely reliable, watch out.

Connelly is surprisingly bullish on Okie lite considering they have to replace Rudolph and James Washington. I'm interested in what he has to say on them. That seems like a road game we need to win if we want to have the season necessary to move forward as a program.

I would like to point out that Connelly's model does tend to weight past performance more than it should which is why Okie Lite comes in with  an S&P ranking of 19, despite having to replace the bulk of its offense. I actually like our chances better against SC and Okie Lite and much worse against K State (62% chance to win in Manhattan?)

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-monday-june-11th/

– Summer workouts have begun and like every off-season, the names of some freshman that are surpassing expectations are popping up. Super K had a post up recently about how impressed people in the program are with OLB/DE Joseph Ossai.

Another name that has popped up recently that I heard about is DT Moro Ojomo. I’ve been told the Katy HS product looks college football ready, right now. He’s an athletic defensive tackle and I’ve heard that the defensive staff thinks the sky is the limit with this guy.

One thing that continues to blow me and Texas people away is that Ojomo was only 16 years old when he signed with Texas. He’s going to continue to grow and that’s another reason so many are excited about him. – (Andrew)

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve gone off the rails as a poster over the past few years. It’s been bizarre to observe, really. 

The Charlie Strong era broke Snacks. It broke a lot of us. And then Herman's offense last year broke us all again. I am surprised Snacks is able to type with the ticks he has developed. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-monday-june-11th/

– Summer workouts have begun and like every off-season, the names of some freshman that are surpassing expectations are popping up. Super K had a post up recently about how impressed people in the program are with OLB/DE Joseph Ossai.

Another name that has popped up recently that I heard about is DT Moro Ojomo. I’ve been told the Katy HS product looks college football ready, right now. He’s an athletic defensive tackle and I’ve heard that the defensive staff thinks the sky is the limit with this guy.

One thing that continues to blow me and Texas people away is that Ojomo was only 16 years old when he signed with Texas. He’s going to continue to grow and that’s another reason so many are excited about him. – (Andrew)

Now that's the kind of offseason "update" I've become accustomed to. TFB are assimilating well.