COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

My wife's brother won't let my wife come see their new baby because my wife has been vaccinated, and her hair and sweat will emit spike proteins and hurt the baby. 

He's done his research.

He's also a nursing student.

My wife is pretty upset, understandably.  We don't know how to talk to him when he won't listen. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 3/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, Goofyboy said:

People that don’t want to keep getting shots aren’t going to keep getting shots. I get a flu shot yearly. If I have to COVID twice a year, so be it.

How long until we are allowed to just buy and administer our own shots?  It’s not rocket science, I’ve seen it done dozens of times.  I feel more people would get seasonal shots if you didn’t have to make an appointment or wait in line and shit like that. 

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

My wife's brother won't let my wife come see their new baby because my wife has been vaccinated, and her hair and sweat will emit spike proteins and hurt the baby. 

He's done his research.

My wife is pretty upset, understandably.  We don't know how to talk to him when he won't listen. 

The hell of it is, you just can't talk to him.  When someone opts out of a reality-based universe, using language of reality is pointless.  

If he wouldn't let you visit because he knows that you once rode a unicorn, and unicorn sweat is known to infect you with the unicorn virus that will forever turn your shit into rainbows and make you prance and you will be infectious forever, you can't respond with "dude, WTF?  There are no unicorns, I've never ridden one, there is no unicorn virus, and WTF are you even talking about?"....even though that's the only rational response.

And don't even think about asking the follow up of "cool....so, now that the majority of Americans are vaccinated, how are you gonna keep the baby away from "shed spike proteins" for the rest of his life?  Thought about that one?"

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

He's done his research.

How did he come to terms with the likelihood that the Doctors and nurses who brought his child into this world were probably vaccinated?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, they had a midwife or some other person who's not a doctor help out with the birth.  And they've let other family - who's not vaxxed - come see the baby.  That might bother my wife the most. 

He sent my wife a sincere text (honestly) explaining things, but he quoted several falsehoods that he believes.  Fucking frustrating, man.

I'm so glad I didn't get my kids vaccinated and I feel just awful for you parents who ignorantly listened to the CDC. 

Anybody defending or listening to the CDC at this point is being willfully ignorant.

But disinfomation from Joe Rogan is the problem, right?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 13

5 minutes ago, Cement said:

I'm so glad I didn't get my kids vaccinated and I feel just awful for you parents who ignorantly listened to the CDC. 

Anybody defending or listening to the CDC at this point is being willfully ignorant.

jeff daniels blah face.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The cdc botching the mortality data is inexcusable, esp with regards to the child data. The cdc had literally zero to do with my decision or with what regimen to vaccinate my kids (all fully vaccinated at this point). The cdc has taken a major credibility hit though for sure. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The cdc botching the mortality data is inexcusable, esp with regards to the child data. The cdc had literally zero to do with my decision or with what regimen to vaccinate my kids (all fully vaccinated at this point). The cdc has taken a major credibility hit though for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There exists a place where one can agree that the CDC didn’t do a great job at certain things while also understanding underneath @Cement’s parietal bone contains expired play-doh

Shhhh, @Cement is hunting wabbits abandoning logic and reason.

7 hours ago, Cement said:

image.gif.fdc547e9d1403ae70a1373852c744798.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cement said:

Wat?

Moderna’s study in tots was conducted during the omicron surge and found the same trend: While there were no severe illnesses, the vaccine proved about 44% effective at preventing milder infections in babies up to age 2, and nearly 38% effective in the preschoolers.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/18/2022 at 10:01 PM, miguelito said:

Oh, they had a midwife or some other person who's not a doctor help out with the birth.  And they've let other family - who's not vaxxed - come see the baby.  That might bother my wife the most. 

He sent my wife a sincere text (honestly) explaining things, but he quoted several falsehoods that he believes.  Fucking frustrating, man.

At least they’re communicating with each other. 

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So not great data in reduction of mild illness and if I interpret that correctly, not really any significant disease burden including the control group. Omicron for the VAST majority of children under 10 was a walk in the park. In most cases, the illnesses were more mild than influenza. I am starting to see a corporate conflict between good science and keeping the money train rolling. This includes Pfizer's fourth shot. They are putting conjecture ahead of good data. This is going to further erode the public's trust.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Based on spike protein results for everyone in the Cares study, I feel like the third shot + breakthroughs = I may get a booster at the end of this year.  I caught Omicron in January, so that may substitute another booster…but agreed for youngins and most people, it’s going to start to feel like it’s being pushed as a money train.  

On 3/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, miguelito said:

He's done his research.

This is one of my in-laws, only not a nursing student.  She's basically homeless (living in a tent in her parents backyard) and she won't go in their house or use their washing machine or dryer because their spike proteins will get on her clothes.  She buys a big jug of water and pours it into a tub she hand washes her laundry in it.  Needless to say, she does not do laundry very often.  She's also gotten upset at people who point out that if she goes in a grocery store or whatever, she's around "spike proteins" and that anything she has bought from a store or had shipped from Amazon has been handled by multiple people who were vaccinated and therefore shedding "spike proteins".

A few times she's said "oh you all are afraid to go out and wore your masks and are cowards" and we then point out that these days, we are completely back to normal, hanging out with friends and family sans mask, not wearing masks in stores, while traveling etc.,  and that she's the one who is still wearing a mask and who is scared to be around people, because "spike proteins".

The whole pandemic has seriously brought out a lot of mental illness that's been hidden (or that was easily ignored).

Although I wonder if it's just a matter of her hating people and "spike proteins" are a good reason for her to be a hermit and work on her manifestos.

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is one of my in-laws, only not a nursing student.  She's basically homeless (living in a tent in her parents backyard) and she won't go in their house or use their washing machine or dryer because their spike proteins will get on her clothes.  She buys a big jug of water and pours it into a tub she hand washes her laundry in it.  Needless to say, she does not do laundry very often.  She's also gotten upset at people who point out that if she goes in a grocery store or whatever, she's around "spike proteins" and that anything she has bought from a store or had shipped from Amazon has been handled by multiple people who were vaccinated and therefore shedding "spike proteins".

A few times she's said "oh you all are afraid to go out and wore your masks and are cowards" and we then point out that these days, we are completely back to normal, hanging out with friends and family sans mask, not wearing masks in stores, while traveling etc.,  and that she's the one who is still wearing a mask and who is scared to be around people, because "spike proteins".

The whole pandemic has seriously brought out a lot of mental illness that's been hidden (or that was easily ignored).

Although I wonder if it's just a matter of her hating people and "spike proteins" are a good reason for her to be a hermit and work on her manifestos.

Sounds like schizophrenia or some other form of psychosis. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Sounds like schizophrenia or some other form of psychosis. 

Probably, but she doesn't believe in therapy/psychology/psychiatry/etc..  

Have heard from others during COVID who have relatives with similar issues.  Basically COVID and the vaccine stuff....didn't quite "break" people (many of these people had problems with vaccines, etc. well before this, but it felt pretty harmless), but it ramped them up to a point where the people around them couldn't ignore it or miss it.  It was one thing for them to talk about vaccines not being necessary but somebody getting a flu vaccine didn't harm them, but now with COVID, some of them feel like we are endangering their lives with the whole "spike protein" thing.

Sometime I'll dip into one of the mental health threads and talk about it.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

This, this, this.

my wife’s sister has parlayed Covid into her dream anti-social sloth fantasy.  Really sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Spike proteins like the ones on COVID?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 12:54 PM, orange dream said:

Had a mild case of Covid in October 2020

Pfizer/Pfizer back in Feb/March

Texas CARES in early Sept   S>2500   N=55

Texas CARES in early December   S=1900   N=30

Boosted Moderna this morning

3rd Texas Cares draw on Wednesday (3/30)  S>2500   N=196.0

I'm assuming this jump in my N-antibodies means I had Covid sometime between my early December blood draw and now.  Is there another explanation for why my N antibodies would have jumped?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, orange dream said:

I'm assuming this jump in my N-antibodies means I had Covid sometime between my early December blood draw and now.  Is there another explanation for why my N antibodies would have jumped?

Unless lab sampling or assay error then most likely you had asymptomatic or very light symptomatic infection. This will likely be the way forward for most people who have reasonable immunity via vaccine and/or natural infection. 

14 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Obsession noted.

No fucking idea who you are.  Don’t give a fuck either.

Cool. Doesn't make me any less right. Disingenuous false equivalencies are pretty par for the course for you, no? You obviously don't make any effort to steer away from it. So don't be so upset when people call you on it.

One of my neighbors told us she made an appt. to get the vaccine this week.  And then paused in that "please clap" kinda body language way.  

I didn't know what to say.  I just assumed people that hadn't gotten it yet were never gonna get it.  I wanted to say the old Chris Rock bit about "She's like a Betamax, people look at her like 'Damn, they still make you'?"  But then we'd go off on a 45 minute conversation about Chris Rock at the Oscars and I'd rather have Covid-19 than hear about that shit.  But the betamax bit always cracks me up.  

Anyway, the flu bug burning through our preschool makes me glad we all got our flu shots.  One of the teachers apparently got diarrhea while changing another kid's diarrhea. And the Director just said "Fuck it" And closed the whole school on Thursday and Friday.  

I'm just gonna assume that every October will be flu shot, every April will be my new Covid booster.  But I'll cheat and get it the Friday in March with the opening games of the Tournament and "rest by myself" with CBS streaming. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, Lobo said:

One of my neighbors told us she made an appt. to get the vaccine this week.  And then paused in that "please clap" kinda body language way.  

I didn't know what to say.  I just assumed people that hadn't gotten it yet were never gonna get it.  I wanted to say the old Chris Rock bit about "She's like a Betamax, people look at her like 'Damn, they still make you'?"  But then we'd go off on a 45 minute conversation about Chris Rock at the Oscars and I'd rather have Covid-19 than hear about that shit.  But the betamax bit always cracks me up.  

Anyway, the flu bug burning through our preschool makes me glad we all got our flu shots.  One of the teachers apparently got diarrhea while changing another kid's diarrhea. And the Director just said "Fuck it" And closed the whole school on Thursday and Friday.  

I'm just gonna assume that every October will be flu shot, every April will be my new Covid booster.  But I'll cheat and get it the Friday in March with the opening games of the Tournament and "rest by myself" with CBS streaming. 

Opening tournament games are on Thursday.

Technically Wed, but the play in games aren’t included in most pick’em competitions.

Edited by Incredulity

Very well, Opening "Round" games.  Last I checked, 16 games on Thursdsay, 16 on Friday---those are the opening games to me, I don't think I've ever watched a play-in game (Please don't jinx the horns!).  To me those two days are one in the same, best two days in sports...with a slight edge to whichever day is our first game.  Sadly, we hadn't had that problem too often in the last few years.  But things are looking up.  I'm still going with my Friday booster plan.  I suspect it'll end up being like that old urban myth about over half of all vasectomies done the week of the Master's so the husband could stay home and sit on his couch donut and watch all the action.  

I wonder if the side-effects of the boosters will become more diluted over time between the actual drug itself and our body's reaction to it.  The second shot was the shitshow.  But the booster was no picnic either.  I kept wondering what people meant by 'brain fog.'  And guys my age would describe it as a bad hangover.  When I've had a bad hangover, my brain still works.  It hurts to think and talk, but the process operations are still taking place.  The booster shot and subsequent having Covid, the brain fog is real.  It's not that hurts to think...it's that there's no thinking taking place.  I felt like Elaine when she gives up sex on Seinfeld.  I really coulda helped her out with that.  

On 4/2/2022 at 5:24 PM, Newdoc said:

Unless lab sampling or assay error then most likely you had asymptomatic or very light symptomatic infection. This will likely be the way forward for most people who have reasonable immunity via vaccine and/or natural infection. 

On 4/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, Anastasis said:

I don’t have the spec sheet in front of me, but that seems like a very high N number. Perhaps a very recent symptomatic infection?

Late Feb-Mid March I was fighting an upper respiratory infection, sore throat, pink eye, hacking cough.  I took two covid tests (both negative) and flu and a strep test (all negative).  Symptoms finally cleared with steroid dosepack and 10 days of antibiotics. 

That had to have been it despite the 2 negative tests.

I guess I'm good to go lick some doorknobs for a while.

Took my last CARES blood draw on Friday.

Positive SARS-CoV-2 Total Ab, N Protein, 33.4 (negative previously)  Thanks, Prednisone and Omicron!

Positive SARS-CoV-2 Total Ab S Protein, >2500.

Seems like the booster is holding up; perhaps in part due to the natural infection in January (I think I got the booster in October IIRC).

20 hours ago, Deej said:

I read the rapid tests have reduced sensitivity to Omicron and its variants. 

The USPS mailed ones? Thinking those are shit. Month ago felt like shit for 4-5 days, took 2 take homes six days apart and negative each time.

But then the gf’s employee went to a bad bunny concert, took 3 take home tests and all were negative (first after learning of exposure, second while symptomatic, third just as she took a PCR AS WELL), and just as she was feeling better the PCr test came back positive.

Can’t say I have any faith in tests unless they’re PCR. I still say I took it and came out clean so yay I’m back to normal going out but deep down I think they’re shitty. 

Heard a bit on KUT-NPR this morning -- some gal with the State of Texas said that they estimate that nearly 99% of the Texas population has SOME level of antibody protection against COVID -- either through vaccination or prior infection (it seems that Omicron did a bang-up job of finishing off the unvaccinated group, giving them infection-based antibodies, as well as the double-dose it gave to the vaccinated folks who came down with it).  I'd like to hear/read more about that conclusion.

The takeaway communicated is that this should blunt the severity of future waves, and our focus going forward should be on vaccinations targeted at new strains?

Again, it was just a blurb as I was navigating the assholes sauntering around Mopac, so I'd love more details.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:29 PM, TXSooner518 said:

What absolute disingenuous horseshit.

Selectively berating people is disingenuous horseshit as well.   I’d say you duck dicks for breakfast because you’re a Sooner, but that’s more of an affirmation.   I wouldn’t berate you for it though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Heard a bit on KUT-NPR this morning -- some gal with the State of Texas said that they estimate that nearly 99% of the Texas population has SOME level of antibody protection against COVID -- either through vaccination or prior infection (it seems that Omicron did a bang-up job of finishing off the unvaccinated group, giving them infection-based antibodies, as well as the double-dose it gave to the vaccinated folks who came down with it).  I'd like to hear/read more about that conclusion.

The takeaway communicated is that this should blunt the severity of future waves, and our focus going forward should be on vaccinations targeted at new strains?

I'm wondering if that's true for the US at large at this point.  Our cases have dropped and are staying low while Europe seems to have plateaued on the way down from the omicron peak and China is experiencing its biggest wave yet (if you can believe any of its data).

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, it was just a blurb as I was navigating the assholes sauntering around Mopac, so I'd love more details.

I would think we should get some data on this from the Texas Cares Study soon.  It was around 75% in October so I was thinking absolutely should be over 90% now.

But yes, I agree that should be the takeaway.  I haven't dug into it but I know there is a group of doctors on the "the Covidians are a bit out of control side" that are frustrated with the 50+ up for a 4th dose considering absolutely zero data that reflects a healthy 51 year old with 3 shots will benefit from another dose.  I tend to agree absent that data you are reinforcing the skeptics that think the FDA is just beholden to Pfizer's desire for max profits pushing more shots.  Really hope they make progress on an omicron specific 'booster' because reducing transmission would be nice.  

On 3/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Probably, but she doesn't believe in therapy/psychology/psychiatry/etc..  

Have heard from others during COVID who have relatives with similar issues.  Basically COVID and the vaccine stuff....didn't quite "break" people (many of these people had problems with vaccines, etc. well before this, but it felt pretty harmless), but it ramped them up to a point where the people around them couldn't ignore it or miss it.  It was one thing for them to talk about vaccines not being necessary but somebody getting a flu vaccine didn't harm them, but now with COVID, some of them feel like we are endangering their lives with the whole "spike protein" thing.

Sometime I'll dip into one of the mental health threads and talk about it.

Yep.  I know a few of both extremes that Covid basically broke them.  Folks still not re-involving themselves into society even though they are vaxxed and masked, and the anti-vax anti-mask that don’t want to be around the vaxxed.    

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I would think we should get some data on this from the Texas Cares Study soon.  It was around 75% in October so I was thinking absolutely should be over 90% now.

But yes, I agree that should be the takeaway.  I haven't dug into it but I know there is a group of doctors on the "the Covidians are a bit out of control side" that are frustrated with the 50+ up for a 4th dose considering absolutely zero data that reflects a healthy 51 year old with 3 shots will benefit from another dose.  I tend to agree absent that data you are reinforcing the skeptics that think the FDA is just beholden to Pfizer's desire for max profits pushing more shots.  Really hope they make progress on an omicron specific 'booster' because reducing transmission would be nice.  

I think the 4th booster idea is more of a "yes, an incremental boosting of antibodies provides some benefit so, sure, why not?"  But I agree -- it's not a real compelling argument.  The wife and I are "eligible," but we are almost certainly waiting on a more specific booster, hopefully in the fall.

My dad is 84, though......may suggest he get the 4th shot just because of his high risk, and an incremental benefit is good enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  I know a few of both extremes that Covid basically broke them.  Folks still not re-involving themselves into society even though they are vaxxed and masked, and the anti-vax anti-mask that don’t want to be around the vaxxed.    

Yep.  To the first group, I've had a "well, what the hell are you waiting for?  We are never eradicating this disease, so what's your benchmark for re-joining earth, exactly?"  And as for the anti-vax, anti-mask.....there's never been any talking sense with them, so they're beyond hope now.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Selectively berating people is disingenuous horseshit as well.   I’d say you duck dicks for breakfast because you’re a Sooner, but that’s more of an affirmation.   I wouldn’t berate you for it though.  

What a crock of shit. We selectively berate people all the time. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it's not. A theatre berating someone for bringing a box of junior mints is an asshole. The same theatre berating someone for bringing in a full meal is not an asshole. Someone wearing a mask when it is not required has absolutely zero impact on anyone else. Someone not wearing a mask when it is required does have an impact on other people.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Serak The Preparer said:

What a crock of shit. We selectively berate people all the time. Sometimes it's warranted and sometimes it's not. A theatre berating someone for bringing a box of junior mints is an asshole. The same theatre berating someone for bringing in a full meal is not an asshole. Someone wearing a mask when it is not required has absolutely zero impact on anyone else. Someone not wearing a mask when it is required does have an impact on other people.

Selectively berating people is cancel culture!!