Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

You know how the song Stan ends, right?

Kind of, its been a while… now I’m thinking of Staind. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I actually heard Ron speak for the first time a few weeks ago and was taken aback by how effeminate he seemed, speech pattern & mannerisms wise. Kind of funny. Trump’s going to shitfuck him worse than Mickey Mouse did.   

Interesting, I didn’t pick up on that. He’s a bit nasally though. I don’t think it really matters unfortunately, although I’d love to be wrong. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

Interesting, I didn’t pick up on that. He’s a bit nasally though. I don’t think it really matters unfortunately, although I’d love to be wrong. 

Jesus your musical taste is almost as bad as which politicians you choose to support 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Ya think?

Dude sounds like fuckin Steve Urkel

George Will skewers ---- SKEWERS ---- Trump and Desantis:

Spoiler

Inevitably, there comes a rebellion against inevitability. Voters have been told that Donald Trump is the all-but-inevitable Republican nominee and that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, operating atop a mountain of cash, will inevitably be Trump’s only significant challenger.

Voters, however, become contrary when told that the game’s outcome is known in the top of the first inning. Hence what G.K. Chesterton called the game of “Cheat the Prophet”: People listen politely to explanations of what is inevitable, then make something else happen.

The 2024 Republican nomination question was supposed to be: Could anyone harpoon the Great Orange Whale? Who knew that he would harpoon himself, repeatedly? Or that DeSantis, playing Captain Ahab, would pay Trump the sincerest form of flattery by imitating his persona as an unhappy warrior? The nation is dispirited by the prospect of an all-too-familiar binary choice (between Joe Biden and Trump). Republicans might soon recoil from another: between Trump and DeSantis. Both candidacies are brittle.

Trump, as stale as a month-old crust of sourdough, is running to win the 2020 election. His crybaby crusade might cause even his star-spangled supporters to wonder how to square their proclaimed love of the nation with their hero’s insistence that it is so saturated with corruption that his landslide win could be erased without a peep from courts. Including some with his — how sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless judge — appointees.

Trump’s self-harpooning includes expressing contempt for Iowa’s popular governor, Kim Reynolds, because she refuses to endorse him, even though he alone, he says, is responsible for her election. And he is too grand to appear with rival candidates at events, perhaps even the Aug. 23 debate in Milwaukee.
In the 1980 campaign, Ronald Reagan, who was not considered the inevitable GOP nominee, made only eight Iowa campaign appearances, spending a total of 49 hours in the state (according to Steven F. Hayward’s “The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order, 1964-1980”). And Reagan skipped the Des Moines Register’s Jan. 5 debate, which 58 percent of Iowa voters watched. Voters do not dislike inevitabilities more than they dislike politicians who seem to feel entitled to special dispensations. Reagan’s post-debate support plummeted from 50 percent in November to 26 percent a week before the caucuses, which he lost to George H.W. Bush.

DeSantis, after nearly two months of intensified exposure to non-Floridians, resembles a political Edsel. That was the new car model that debuted to much fanfare in 1957, backed by Ford’s marketing might. It expired in 1959, becoming a byword for disastrously misreading consumers. DeSantis is running hard to be president of Iowa, or of that minority of Iowans who will vote in the January caucuses and think Trump is ideologically squishy (e.g., regarding wokeness) and insufficiently abrasive (e.g., regarding gay rights).

The Republican nomination contest is accelerating, as is Ukraine’s counteroffensive, the latter underscoring the stakes of the former. During Spain’s civil war, a rebel general boasted that he had four columns marching on Madrid and “a fifth column” in Madrid, meaning supporters of the army’s insurgency. Vladimir Putin’s fifth column is not in Kyiv but in the Trump-DeSantis faction of the Republican Party.

Putin has two hopes for a less than completely mortifying rescue from his Ukraine blunder. One is the election of Trump, whose frivolousness about national security complements his weakling’s admiration for a bully. Putin’s other hope is the election of DeSantis, who says (or said, before retreating when criticized) Russia’s attempt to erase a European nation is a “territorial dispute.” And whose pandering to Trumpkins prevents him from denouncing House Republicans who are as eager to abandon Ukraine as they would have been to abandon Czechoslovakia in 1938.

A New Hampshire student, referring to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot that followed Trump’s incendiary harangue and disrupted the certifying of electoral votes, asked DeSantis last month whether Trump “violated the peaceful transfer of power.” DeSantis’s less-than-courageous answer: “I wasn’t anywhere near Washington that day. I have nothing to do with what happened that day.” Good grief. He wasn’t anywhere near Gettysburg in July 1863 and had nothing to do with the moon landing in July 1969, but that does not preclude him from having thoughts about these events.

Political prophesy is optional folly, but: There are not enough Republicans, in Iowa or the nation, enamored of the snarling contest between Trump and DeSantis — their competition to see who can despise the most American defects — to nominate either of them. Which is grim news for President Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

That’s the crazy part. We took them on an Alaskan cruise right before COVID happened. We did an extended glacier tour and they were discussing glacier retreat etc. My wife and I came away from the tour horrified. My in laws were all “this is just the natural ebb and flow of the planet”.  We all hear through filters, but I’m like “Dude. You are a math and facts/scientific method guy. Seriously?” News entertainment channels broke them. 

Edited by topochico
  • Rage+1 1

So ole George is wishcasting that Trump and Desantis being so crazy is bad news for Biden, because it means a saner Republican is going to come along and make things interesting?  Was that the thrust of the article?  

Have the worms already started in on his brain, because he's living in a different type of reality.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

George Will skewers ---- SKEWERS ---- Trump and Desantis:

Reveal hidden contents

Inevitably, there comes a rebellion against inevitability. Voters have been told that Donald Trump is the all-but-inevitable Republican nominee and that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, operating atop a mountain of cash, will inevitably be Trump’s only significant challenger.

Voters, however, become contrary when told that the game’s outcome is known in the top of the first inning. Hence what G.K. Chesterton called the game of “Cheat the Prophet”: People listen politely to explanations of what is inevitable, then make something else happen.

The 2024 Republican nomination question was supposed to be: Could anyone harpoon the Great Orange Whale? Who knew that he would harpoon himself, repeatedly? Or that DeSantis, playing Captain Ahab, would pay Trump the sincerest form of flattery by imitating his persona as an unhappy warrior? The nation is dispirited by the prospect of an all-too-familiar binary choice (between Joe Biden and Trump). Republicans might soon recoil from another: between Trump and DeSantis. Both candidacies are brittle.

Trump, as stale as a month-old crust of sourdough, is running to win the 2020 election. His crybaby crusade might cause even his star-spangled supporters to wonder how to square their proclaimed love of the nation with their hero’s insistence that it is so saturated with corruption that his landslide win could be erased without a peep from courts. Including some with his — how sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless judge — appointees.

Trump’s self-harpooning includes expressing contempt for Iowa’s popular governor, Kim Reynolds, because she refuses to endorse him, even though he alone, he says, is responsible for her election. And he is too grand to appear with rival candidates at events, perhaps even the Aug. 23 debate in Milwaukee.
In the 1980 campaign, Ronald Reagan, who was not considered the inevitable GOP nominee, made only eight Iowa campaign appearances, spending a total of 49 hours in the state (according to Steven F. Hayward’s “The Age of Reagan: The Fall of the Old Liberal Order, 1964-1980”). And Reagan skipped the Des Moines Register’s Jan. 5 debate, which 58 percent of Iowa voters watched. Voters do not dislike inevitabilities more than they dislike politicians who seem to feel entitled to special dispensations. Reagan’s post-debate support plummeted from 50 percent in November to 26 percent a week before the caucuses, which he lost to George H.W. Bush.

DeSantis, after nearly two months of intensified exposure to non-Floridians, resembles a political Edsel. That was the new car model that debuted to much fanfare in 1957, backed by Ford’s marketing might. It expired in 1959, becoming a byword for disastrously misreading consumers. DeSantis is running hard to be president of Iowa, or of that minority of Iowans who will vote in the January caucuses and think Trump is ideologically squishy (e.g., regarding wokeness) and insufficiently abrasive (e.g., regarding gay rights).

The Republican nomination contest is accelerating, as is Ukraine’s counteroffensive, the latter underscoring the stakes of the former. During Spain’s civil war, a rebel general boasted that he had four columns marching on Madrid and “a fifth column” in Madrid, meaning supporters of the army’s insurgency. Vladimir Putin’s fifth column is not in Kyiv but in the Trump-DeSantis faction of the Republican Party.

Putin has two hopes for a less than completely mortifying rescue from his Ukraine blunder. One is the election of Trump, whose frivolousness about national security complements his weakling’s admiration for a bully. Putin’s other hope is the election of DeSantis, who says (or said, before retreating when criticized) Russia’s attempt to erase a European nation is a “territorial dispute.” And whose pandering to Trumpkins prevents him from denouncing House Republicans who are as eager to abandon Ukraine as they would have been to abandon Czechoslovakia in 1938.

A New Hampshire student, referring to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot that followed Trump’s incendiary harangue and disrupted the certifying of electoral votes, asked DeSantis last month whether Trump “violated the peaceful transfer of power.” DeSantis’s less-than-courageous answer: “I wasn’t anywhere near Washington that day. I have nothing to do with what happened that day.” Good grief. He wasn’t anywhere near Gettysburg in July 1863 and had nothing to do with the moon landing in July 1969, but that does not preclude him from having thoughts about these events.

Political prophesy is optional folly, but: There are not enough Republicans, in Iowa or the nation, enamored of the snarling contest between Trump and DeSantis — their competition to see who can despise the most American defects — to nominate either of them. Which is grim news for President Biden.

George Will is the security guard in this gif. Marlo is the reality of the modern day Republican Party.

HelpfulInsignificantAnchovy-size_restric

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So ole George is wishcasting that Trump and Desantis being so crazy is bad news for Biden, because it means a saner Republican is going to come along and make things interesting?  Was that the thrust of the article?  

Have the worms already started in on his brain, because he's living in a different type of reality.

Yeah, I was with it until that last paragraph and then it was like...wait, wut?

• Hook 'Em 2

I know y'all think anybody who was ever a Republican for 15 minutes is evil and cannot be believed.  But these folks didn't get to where they did because they were fucking stupid---look at the intellectual movement within the party from the likes of Buckley, Will, Safire, Irving & Bill Kristol, Krauthammer, Friedman, Bradbury, and Sowell.  All of them dead or disavowed.  

And less than a generation later, look who is held up as the erudite and polished wing of the party?--------Joe Rogan, Charlie Kirk, Lou Dobbs, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Matt Walsh, Mel Gibson, Jerry Bruckheimer, Dinesh D'Souza, and shitheels in Congress like Greene, Gaetz, Santos, and Boebert.  Never mind their prince-in-the-wings, DeSantis 

They at least used to have the decency to let the thought leaders guide the conversation.  Now that those folks have been run off with pitchforks, we're left with this group of knuckle-draggers.   If you had to pick a team with whom to win an Escape Room challenge to either win $1mm or lose and be stuck in that room with them for a decade.  And that second cadre was your team option.  You would take your own life in the parking lot.  

Human Civilization, roughly 6,000-10,000 years old by all estimates.  For 99.9% of that time, our species survived and thrived because we cast out the people that were either dangerous or stupid, or both.  It was essential to our enduring progress.  And then one day, someone sheepishly raised their hand and proffered the simple question, "What if instead of casting them out or shaming them, we put them in charge?"  

This is how it all starts to come undone.  I wouldn't bother worrying about climate change.  Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A massive chunk of current CR posters were Republicans, if you were to go dig through Shaggy (and early) posting histories.

oh-yes-what.gif.6777855eb49549f4ef3f028aa32053e0.gif

52 minutes ago, Pods said:

George Will is still in the bargaining phase. Astoundingly, he still doesn't realize the monster he and his cronies thought they could control has fully taken control itself. 

giphy(1)(20).gif.0fb2e94b5f22ee5f6089488d01acd113.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Absolutely. He’s my guy. But we’ll probably run Trump and lose, I’ve come to terms with it. 

Lol. Which of his Florida policies have been good for that state in your opinion much less would be good applied to the country as a whole?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

The sad fact is that during the late 1990s, there wasn't much of a gap between Republicans and Democrats on climate change. Now, fewer Republicans than ever recognize that it's happening and is a threat and that humans are to blame.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/343025/global-warming-attitudes-frozen-2016.aspx

image.thumb.png.6d07f7c3712ca64cc75b32495383449e.png

image.thumb.png.3d5ae81744df819855ac80202844ed7f.png

image.thumb.png.c51cb50843a0ce3671d575f70e432b19.png

Just imagine what could've been accomplished.

So I’ve never been real good at math or reading comprehension but what I think those pictures say republicans are out of step with most people on most things. And then I wonder why they have so much political leverage. And why that is. And what happens if that continues. But like I said I’m not real good at …

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Lol. Which of his Florida policies have been good for that state in your opinion much less would be good applied to the country as a whole?

I’ve gone over this several times before, but I’m a fan of his education bills. From banning CRT to SB 1054 which requires students to take a financial literacy course. Sign me up. 

• Fuck You 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I know y'all think anybody who was ever a Republican for 15 minutes is evil and cannot be believed. 

Umm, what?  I was a Republican at one time.  I think more than a few of us old timers on these boards have seen the Republican party leave us.  Our positions haven't changed all that much over the years.  But the Republican positions sure have.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’ve gone over this several times before, but I’m a fan of his education bills. From banning CRT to SB 1054 which requires students to take a financial literacy course. Sign me up. 

So you think it is useful to expend time and resources pushing legislation to ban things that aren’t actually happening?

interesting

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The one where woke died. You know, legislating woke has been super-duper easy and effective.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I agree that a financial literacy course is a good idea. Banning CRT? From universities, which is where it is found? Freedom of thought much?

I knew a guy who was kicked out of UT. He said the disciplinary board was as white as phosphorescent cave scum. For some reason, that csb came to mind.

• Haha 2

Yeah, fair point.  There's just a more than noticeable number of folks on here that still crack down on any kind of fair talk about the handful of decent ones that are still left out there.  And I mean "left to die out there."  

It's still taken me awhile to realize there was a genuine exodus over the last five years.  It's hard to pick up the genuinely discarded through all the "Yeah, I voted for him in 2016, but no way in 2020."  Only because they have the benefit of hindsight of Jan. 6th, the second impeachment, and the comedy of harmful errors that have ensued over the last 30 months.  I know some of these folks in real life, and lots more not on this board that make that claim as some sort of nervous, paranoid teenager.  There's a half dozen folks on here and another two dozen in my network that assert this bullshit.  So for fun while waiting in line or taking a crap, I look up in the primary and donor databases.  And it's borderline insulting they want me to believe, 'Oh, so you voted for him in the 2020 primary, donated $100 on two occasions between summer and fall, but then suddenly decided to sit out the general election for no apparent reason?' To which they invariably reply, "How I voted in the general election is private, you can't see that!"......Me, "You're right.  I can't see that.  But what you just said.  I can hear that."  

Fucking own up it guys.  His popular vote went up 17.5% nationwide but dropped off a cliff among middle aged white males of some affluence in Texas?  Yeah, that makes all kinds of sense. 

18 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Interesting.  I've heard about CRT (not the cathode ray tube kind) but I don't know what it is.  Can you tell me?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

So you think it is useful to expend time and resources pushing legislation to ban things that aren’t actually happening?

interesting

People sure are super upset for it not to be happening. If nothing else it was preemptive. 

• Fuck You 10

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Interesting.  I've heard about CRT (not the cathode ray tube kind) but I don't know what it is.  Can you tell me?

Yes, it’s a theory in which academia whackjobs sit around and sniff each others farts while telling each other how good they smell. 

• Fuck You 18

13 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I agree that a financial literacy course is a good idea. Banning CRT? From universities, which is where it is found? Freedom of thought much?

I knew a guy who was kicked out of UT. He said the disciplinary board was as white as phosphorescent cave scum. For some reason, that csb came to mind.

Storytime?

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Yes, it’s a theory in which academia whackjobs sit around and sniff each others farts while telling each other how good they smell. 

Nah fam, that's Fox & Friends 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Storytime

Dude was a nut. He wanted to cross the drag, with the pedestrian light, and a car, turning right, cut him off. He hit the car with a walking stick, and, when the driver jumped out to confront him, he hit the driver. I think the main issue, though, was he was a nut.

Today, of course, he could have shot the driver and gone into Republican politics, because angry nuts with guns is their brand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

You have. Good luck with your whiny weirdo loser and his online grievances. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

People get upset when their elected officials cause irreparable damage to their education system tilting at windmills to court the votes of mouth breathers. Yes. 

the saddest thing is you are scared of something that you can’t even define

Oh, I’m scared of some things alright. But not this hilarious “theory”. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

59 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, fair point.  There's just a more than noticeable number of folks on here that still crack down on any kind of fair talk about the handful of decent ones that are still left out there. 

mqdefault.jpg

there are no decent republicans left, or smart republicans. we could talk about the nature of decency and what it means to be smart - is one decent because they're too foolish to recognize their evil, and smart because they have a very powerful brain that they use to make all of these stupid thoughts? Is a fat person skinny beneath all the weight? If I take a morally and intellectually defensible platform and replace it piece by piece with stupid reprehensible shit, is it still morally and intellectually defensible?

I was going to say that this is a question for philosophers but the answer is fucking no dude. Not everyone who has ever been a republican is stupid and evil. Just everyone who still is.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, Poe It Up said:

Oh, I’m scared of some things alright. But not this hilarious “theory”. 

You think it warrants the attention of the state (and presumably federal) government. So yes you are scared

You really should at least be able to give a proper explanation of what it is. Be something to talk about when your daughter brings her black boyfriend (or girlfriend) home for dinner

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You think it warrants the attention of the state (and presumably federal) government. So yes you are scared

You really should at least be able to give a proper explanation of what it is. Be something to talk about when your daughter brings her black boyfriend (or girlfriend) home for dinner

It’s not fear, I think it’s a dumb theory and teaching it to children makes the dumber.

I once picked up a date and her father was cleaning his shotgun. I can’t wait until she brings a guy home for dinner, it’s going to be hilarious. 

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

It’s not fear, I think it’s a dumb theory and teaching it to children makes the dumber.

I once picked up a date and her father was cleaning his shotgun. I can’t wait until she brings a guy home for dinner, it’s going to be hilarious. 

Let me guess, WRT is more your flavor?

3 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

So what's the theory? How does exposing children to said theory, which again, is not happening and never has, make them dumber?

Edited by SilasCoade

For shits 'n giggles, I logged into the course directory for UT.  I'm sure you'd agree it's a decent microcosm of higher education across the country.  Varied degree programs and research from the core to the macro to the granular.  One course in COLA makes mention of CRT, and it's an elective not required for any Bachelor's degree.  There are two courses at the graduate level that make mention of CRT and both are required for a Master's or PhD in African Studies (both in the diaspora and the continent proper).  

I'm not seeing any mention of K-12 students being forced to take any of those three courses.  But you're really much more connected to the education ecosystem in Texas, so I'll defer to your expertise, Poe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1