Desantis is a POS and needs his own thread

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah that's funny and all until we can't get any produce anymore. i don't know how there isn't a mass corporate revolt in that state

Well they all seem scared of getting screwed with like Disney if they dare go against the Meatball Fuhrer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First job in Austin was working at Green Leaf Nursery on Ben White, they had this scrawny cracker in the back with the crew planting trees in beds and I had one hole dug to any of their 5 or 6.  Needless to say I got moved to watering the plants from then on, fuckers worked fast and efficient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-2024-campaign-trump-advert-1810432

Not sure if posted but good write up on Ron. Apparently he is even more disliked than Trump. 

Just 35.9 percent of Americans hold a favorable view of DeSantis, compared to 45.2 percent who say they view him unfavorably as of June 29, according to FiveThirtyEight's national average tracker, although experts point out the campaign is still in its early stages.

DeSantis's unfavorable rating among potential voters has been steadily rising since late March, when he recorded a split 39.3 percent favorable rating. This includes the time after he confirmed his 2024 bid in late May in an error-strewn Twitter Space online announcement.

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

He's unlikable. It's the worst trait for a political candidate. See Hilary Clinton

George W Bush is arguably a war criminal but I'd still want to have a beer with him. 

Where he really overplayed his hand was thinking a tagline of Make America like Florida was something people would get behind. Make America like the location which is a punchline for any wheels off news story? He thought his appeal in that one state would be something others wanted. Maybe in the before Trump times. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

49 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Where he really overplayed his hand was thinking a tagline of Make America like Florida was something people would get behind. Make America like the location which is a punchline for any wheels off news story? He thought his appeal in that one state would be something others wanted. Maybe in the before Trump times. 

No.

• Like 1

The Hillary analogy is spot on.

Trump had a simple message of making the lives of working class people better via his "America First" strategy. This resonated well with rural folks that felt left behind and alienated. 

Ron's whole strategy of "anti-woke" isn't helping anyone and has nothing to do with bigger picture policy. If anything, being anti-gay and anti-immigrant is simply alienating a large voting block. And poking the Trump bear isn't winning him any support from the maga loyalists. At this point, the Ron campaign looks DOA.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

The Hillary analogy is spot on.

Trump had a simple message of making the lives of working class people better via his "America First" strategy. This resonated well with rural folks that felt left behind and alienated. 

Ron's whole strategy of "anti-woke" isn't helping anyone and has nothing to do with bigger picture policy. If anything, being anti-gay and anti-immigrant is simply alienating a large voting block. And poking the Trump bear isn't winning him any support from the maga loyalists. At this point, the Ron campaign looks DOA.

he has the personality of a potato 

look for the Va gov to make a run, soon 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

he has the personality of a potato 

look for the Va gov to make a run, soon 

Yeah, I have a feeling that all of those clown car duds are just the opening act.  Once Trump is convicted the Rs are going to have a casting call for anyone presidential looking at all and they'll come out of the woodwork.  

Youngkin, Hogan (maybe), and Romney (longshot, but I've always thought he would wait until the heat passes and make a sprint for the brass ring).

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

he kept whining

That's the distinguishing feature of him speaking. It's grating and annoying. He might be saying things that appeal to the troglodyte base, but they can't stand to hear him say them. They must have been really tired of Crist to vote for this guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He was thought to be a contender because he kept winning statewide election in Florida. People still see Florida as a battleground state.  Or did a couple of years ago. Hopefully not any longer. 

which brings me to this:  how the fuck was he able to win statewide election in Florida?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

He was thought to be a contender because he kept winning statewide election in Florida. People still see Florida as a battleground state.  Or did a couple of years ago. Hopefully not any longer. 

which brings me to this:  how the fuck was he able to win statewide election in Florida?  

The same reason Abbott and the Republican party keeps winning in Texas. People are moving here in droves. Shitty people. They're leaving blue states and coming to our states. Couple that with the existing shitbags we already have here and it's no big surprise. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The same reason Abbott and the Republican party keeps winning in Texas. People are moving here in droves. Shitty people. They're leaving blue states and coming to our states. Couple that with the existing shitbags we already have here and it's no big surprise. 

not in Texas for a month, longest I will have been away from Texas in 21 years. Driving out of the state and reflecting on that I thought to myself, is it really Texas anyway? There was a friendliness to Texans growing up, I think real Texans still are. But that's not the majority of who lives here anymore. it was a good run.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

not in Texas for a month, longest I will have been away from Texas in 21 years. Driving out of the state and reflecting on that I thought to myself, is it really Texas anyway? There was a friendliness to Texans growing up, I think real Texans still are. But that's not the majority of who lives here anymore. it was a good run.

It's funny. We were in the Hill Country from Saturday to Tuesday. Drove all around to hit up multiple state parks. We went multiple routes that weren't all on 281 to get around. Lots of country roads and farm to markets. I said to the wife as we were driving, just what do people out here really have to fear from "liberals" or "woke policies". Why are they so in the tank for absolute shitbags like Trump? What immigrant hordes were coming to take over their sprawling ranch lands and barb wire fenced acres? When did Texans become so fearful that we turned cruel and followed strong men who preached the same? Maybe we were always this way, I mean the Native Americans can attest to that as we shoved them off their lands so we could get "ours". My wife said the HIll Country really reminds her of the Texas she grew up in that's gone now. People who were friendly, neighborly, Texan. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Tonight is my first night in Washington. Family is only in Georgetown until I can figure out logistics of selling there and buying here.  This time, we will actively avoid Texas if we have to move again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

My wife said the HIll Country really reminds her of the Texas she grew up in that's gone now. People who were friendly, neighborly, Texan. 

Maybe they were friendly, neighborly and Texan because they mostly interacted with people who looked and acted and thought like them.  

That’s not really the problem, then or now.  But now there’s a hell of a lot more people around them who don’t look or act or think like they do.  And that has historically not been well received, in any society.   I’ve been thinking on it, and I think I’m settling on the fact that it is not the change itself so much…but the scope and speed of things changing in their lifetimes that is driving a huge amount of the uneasiness and anger in older and rural communities. 

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tonight is my first night in Washington. Family is only in Georgetown until I can figure out logistics of selling there and buying here.  This time, we will actively avoid Texas if we have to move again. 

I’m really enjoying Coloradans. Good folk. I can’t see staying in Texas honestly. Heat, taxes, hate. Just don’t need it.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m really enjoying Coloradans. Good folk. I can’t see staying in Texas honestly. Heat, taxes, hate. Just don’t need it.

That’s the trifecta. Oh, and while Seattle is expensive, liberal Washington has no state income tax and property tax rates around 0.8%, or a third of Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vacationing and doing some climbing competitions up in Utah/Salt Lake area for the last three weeks.

Very red state except for some pockets in SLC...still better than Texas, even with all of the LDS kookiness. Weather, hiking, snow sports, fly fishing, mountain biking, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s got great beaches all over the state.   SW corner is lovely and people are tolerable.  And the Keys are still badass.  And great fishing overall

but the trouble with Florida is when most of the country goes to visit, it’s Orlando’s parks or Miami for a conference or maybe the panhandle for a family beach trip.  And who do they meet and interact with?  Americans tourists from other states.  They don’t get into the real Florida, the angry, crazy, undereducated, backwards ass locals.  They don’t see and hear what a fucked up place it is and now rotten and spiteful their citizens are.  DeSantis doesn’t realize but he’s the accidental spokesman for the real Florida.  And it’s not Going how he planned it.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

They don’t get into the real Florida, the angry, crazy, undereducated, backwards ass locals.  They don’t see and hear what a fucked up place it is and now rotten and spiteful their citizens are. 

My first interaction with a Floridian in Florida was during Spring Break of my sophomore year of college when I and some friends were driving to Ft. Lauderdale to catch a cruise ship to the Bahamas.  We pulled into a gas station off the highway late at night in a rural part of the state, and as I'm filling up my car a redneck at the pump next to me asks where we're headed.  I tell him, "Ft. Lauderdale," to which he responds nonchalantly like he's giving me helpful information like the weather forecast, "There are a lot of n----rs down there."  I say nothing, get in my car, and tell my friends, "Let's get the fuck out of here."

Edited by South Austin
  • Haha 1

We enjoyed the beaches and drive down 30A when we went to Rosemary Beach before Covid. But it felt completely Trumpy when we were there and we decided it's not worth going back to. My wife would prefer we go to the Caribbean if we want to go to a beach and not give those shitbags any more of our money. I'm fine with that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My first interaction with a Floridian in Florida was during Spring Break of my sophomore year of college when I and some friends were driving to Ft. Lauderdale to catch a cruise ship to the Bahamas.  We pulled into a gas station off the highway late at night in a rural part of the state, and as I'm filling up my car a redneck at the pump next to me asks where we're headed.  I tell him, "Ft. Lauderdale," to which he responds nonchalantly like he's giving me helpful information like the weather forecast, "There are a lot of n----rs down there."  I say nothing, get in my car, and tell my friends, "Let's get the fuck out of here."

In Florida, the further north you go the deeper south you get.  You hear crazy stories about S Florida but nothing can match the insanity of N Florida.

RIP the White Eagle Lounge and Gun range.  I forget the details around their Happy Hour, I think it was along the lines of $.25 drafts and 1/2 price ammo.

You can just imagine what the "White Eagle" looked like.

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Well he is right.  As a bird watcher I can tell you that there are indeed a lot of nesters down there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

I just spent a weekend in the Louisville/Boulder area and holy shit it's amazing how much more chilled out everyone is up there. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Florida is now the worst of Florida infused with the worst of Ohio and Pennsylvania.   It’s like you moved Cincinnati to Orlando.

C6VMBPxWYAArVwG.jpg

15 minutes ago, pacman said:

Just came here to post this.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Haha 1

I used to work tech support back in the day.  The two states I hated talking to the most were New York and Florida.  New York because they thought they knew everything.  Florida because they didn't act like they knew anything and were proud of it.  Both states were full of insufferable people who were incapable of following directions.  My views on New York have softened with more life experience.  I realize now that New Yorkers just have a bluster about them but are cool when you get past it.  Floridians, on the other hand, have only confirmed what I thought of them then.  Know nothings who find it impossible to do the right thing.  Where's Bugs?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, locodos said:

fify

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

My late mother always said,  “pardon the expression, Palatka “

I have a good friend that moved from Lauderdale to East Palatka. Don't ask me why.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have a good friend that moved from Lauderdale to East Palatka. Don't ask me why.

Do they work for Georgia Pacific?     I dislike the city because they targeted college kids heading over to the beaches.   Natural beauty of the river is undeniable but it's an ugly industrial, old south (in a bad way) city.  I got pulled for 2 miles over the speed limit.  The cop flashed his high school ring as he gripped my door and asked me if us college boys thought we could break the law in his city.  I was seriously biting my cheek not to chuckle when he said city.  Glad I didn't.  Kept us road side for 30 mins and really really wanted to search the car.  Finally let me go and wrote the ticket for 11 over even after he told my I was doing 2 over which was BS anyway because everyone knew the drill.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Palatka is not big enough to have an East Palatka. During the summers, I travel and present at workshops for teachers. The first one I taught at was in Honolulu. The second was in Palatka. It was quite the step down.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, locodos said:

Do they work for Georgia Pacific?     I dislike the city because they targeted college kids heading over to the beaches.   Natural beauty of the river is undeniable but it's an ugly industrial, old south (in a bad way) city.  I got pulled for 2 miles over the speed limit.  The cop flashed his high school ring as he gripped my door and asked me if us college boys thought we could break the law in his city.  I was seriously biting my cheek not to chuckle when he said city.  Glad I didn't.  Kept us road side for 30 mins and really really wanted to search the car.  Finally let me go and wrote the ticket for 11 over even after he told my I was doing 2 over which was BS anyway because everyone knew the drill.

He's actually a lawyer. His neighborhood is dirt roads.