Alec Baldwin’s wife appears to be a “Spanish” version of Rachael Dolezal

GRHorn

Gillian Anderson(sp?), Scully from X files does an accent thing too. She grew up both in London and the US. She would start speaking with a British accent while there and then an American while in the States and does it unconsciously. I guess to better assimilate.  But she is an actress so that ability served her very well. She was a superb Margaret Thatcher.  

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Amy Schumer started the brouhaha when Ms. Baldwin posted a post-pregnancy picture Ms. Schumer found objectionable. Now GR is playing Schumer. What a world. 

hilaria-baldwin.jpg

That fat cow Amy Schumer wishes she could have a body like that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Gillian Anderson(sp?), Scully from X files does an accent thing too. She grew up both in London and the US. She would start speaking with a British accent while there and then an American while in the States and does it unconsciously. I guess to better assimilate.  But she is an actress so that ability served her very well. She was a superb Margaret Thatcher.  

She talks about this in a recent Fresh Air - she was born in the US but moved to London when she was a baby and she lived there till she was 14, then moved back to the US. She said she switches back and forth depending on who she's talking to sometimes but I get the impression she's more comfortable with the British accent for every day. Hilaria Baldwin's actions, though, seem much more intentionally deceptive.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Something I read earlier today is that Alec had a major hard on for Salma Hayek and Hilaria saw this Spanish heritage/accent angle as an in.  

I guess all that matters is that Alec thinks it's a Spanish accent.

Poot.

Dat Cafe.

Downg.

Doo joo teenk I am fockeeng gwee joo? I ang nah fockeeng gwee joo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So everyone understands how dumb the LA Times article GRHorn posted is, right?

image.thumb.png.18caee1836a7e9f8f7fca5d46f736c33.png

So Baldwin is culturally colonizing, uh, Spain?

What’s dumber, the article or someone that grew up in Massachusetts pretending she doesn’t know what a cucumber is called?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I didn’t listen to the tape, but everyone acclimates to the local dialect. I worked with a girl who grew up in England till 7 and then Texas. She had a weird ass mix of the two. I knew a girl that went to South Carolina for college. She sounded like she grew up on a plantation after four years. People do it naturally. It’s why kids take on the accent of their parents. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

She talks about this in a recent Fresh Air - she was born in the US but moved to London when she was a baby and she lived there till she was 14, then moved back to the US. She said she switches back and forth depending on who she's talking to sometimes but I get the impression she's more comfortable with the British accent for every day. Hilaria Baldwin's actions, though, seem much more intentionally deceptive.  

I can believe it.  I grew up here in the US but visited family in England during the summers a lot growing up and as a young adult (immigrant parent).  After about a week or two I'd notice not an accent but an unintentional inflection in random sentences, especially questions, that would mirror my English family.  It honestly wasn't on purpose.  After being back home it would naturally go away.

Edited by Tom

I will say I’m surprised that there’s a Surly constituency sticking up for the rich white girl who’s misrepresented her background and ethnicity for a while now. I just thought it was funny. I didn’t expect the yeah, but responses. Y’all are almost as weird as she is. 
Lo siento 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

I can believe it.  I grew up here in the US but visited family in England during the summers a lot growing up and as a young adult (immigrant parent).  After about a week or two I'd notice not an accent but an unintentional inflection in random sentences, especially questions, that would mirror my English family.  It honestly wasn't on purpose.  After being back home for a bit it would naturally fade away again pretty quickly. 

you are a good listener. Bra'-vo' ole chap

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I will say I’m surprised that there’s a Surly constituency sticking up for the rich white girl who’s misrepresented her background and ethnicity for a while now. I just thought it was funny. I didn’t expect the yeah, but responses. Y’all are almost as weird as she is. 
Lo siento 

class status has nothing to do with it, or skin color, or ethnicity

And I should not need to remind you of the freedoms we cherish - and how the individual's freedom to choose one's path in life is the inner magic of this nation. 

Are you hellbent on destroying it? Snap out of it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn’t listen to the tape, but everyone acclimates to the local dialect. I worked with a girl who grew up in England till 7 and then Texas. She had a weird ass mix of the two. I knew a girl that went to South Carolina for college. She sounded like she grew up on a plantation after four years. People do it naturally. It’s why kids take on the accent of their parents. 

Yeah I lived in England for three years of my mid 20s with almost zero contact with Americans and when I came back here people could not tell where the fuck I came from. I'd somehow retained my Tennessee / Texas accent and mashed it up with a Northern English one. I'd get stuff like "Are you from....like Wales, or something?"

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I will say I’m surprised that there’s a Surly constituency sticking up for the rich white girl who’s misrepresented her background and ethnicity for a while now.

people can do whatever they want. people misrepresent their sex and that is deemed acceptable. ethnic background doesn’t really seem like that big of a deal.

I agree that she’s absurd. 

I mean, this deal is a little more than picking up an accent.

She’s from an upperclass Boston family - mom’s a physician and dad’s an attorney. Her parents are retired and living in Spain now but from what I’ve read, their family only vacationed in Spain and never actually lived there for any extended period.

This woman -
-changed her name
-has claimed in interviews that she was born in Spain
-speaks with a very practiced accent
-“forgets” English words
-named all five of her children Spanish names

She doesn’t seem to have harmed anyone or anything but this is a bit more than Madonna putting on a British accent when she was married to Guy Ritchie. She completely fabricated her place of birth and the basic story of her life.

Shit’s weird, yo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I mean, this deal is a little more than picking up an accent.

She’s from an upperclass Boston family - mom’s a physician and dad’s an attorney. Her parents are retired and living in Spain now but from what I’ve read, their family only vacationed in Spain and never actually lived there for any extended period.

This woman -
-changed her name
-has claimed in interviews that she was born in Spain
-speaks with a very practiced accent
-“forgets” English words
-named all five of her children Spanish names

She doesn’t seem to have harmed anyone or anything but this is a bit more than Madonna putting on a British accent when she was married to Guy Ritchie. She completely fabricated her place of birth and the basic story of her life.

Shit’s weird, yo.

She sounds weird. And while I definitely appreciate how she looks in that photo, it’s an odd photo to post. Let me get sexed up, hold my baby while my personal asst takes my photo. She probably thinks she’s being an inspiration to new moms but it’s a scream to seek attention. A mom of 5 would seem to have other things on her mind.

Spain is a great place to claim to be from. Obviously there are many people of Spanish heritage in America, let’s face it, they’re 99.99% via central and South America. If you have some rudimentary knowledge of spain from visits and speak Spanish, it’s probably not hard to pull off. In my view, Spain is exotic as I don’t know if I’ve ever met someone from there. French, Italian, German, sure. Spain, nope.

I bet if you spend any time in Spain, people hit you up with many questions. I would. You get attention (see first paragraph). So that person would be   more inclined to play up their association with Spain more and more. 

I can’t too get riled up about someone claiming to be from Spain. However who doesn’t love a petty scandal involving a person of privilege. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All I'm thinking of is the "Mad Men" episode where somebody refers an in-home nurse to Pete Campbell to look after his mother.  I think it was Bob.  And Pete shouts something like, "And when you say Latino, for my mom's sake...he'd better be from SPAIN!"  

8 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

class status has nothing to do with it, or skin color, or ethnicity

And I should not need to remind you of the freedoms we cherish - and how the individual's freedom to choose one's path in life is the inner magic of this nation. 

Are you hellbent on destroying it? Snap out of it.

She’s free to make up whatever she wants about herself. I’m free to laugh at her ridiculousness.

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

A buddy of mine is British by birth but moved to Texas (with his British wife) in the late '80s. They had 3 daughters before divorcing in the early '90s. The 3 girls all speak with standard Austin/DFW (where the ex-lives & raised the girls) accents.

He remarried an American lady a few years later. They have 2 sons, both raised in Cedar Park. The oldest speaks with a sometimes subtle, sometimes over the top British accent that even one of his half sisters calls him out on as 'fake' and that he's using it to try to get girls (it ain't working; he's too much of a video game nerd).

All I've got after 36 years in Texas is an over the top, on demand Minnesotan accent that comes out after an extra IPA.