A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd love for you to cite recent history illustrating that there is, in fact, a limit. But at this point, I'm from Missouri. I'll believe it when I see it. Fomenting a terrorist attack on our own seat of government made a tiny, barely perceptible dent for about 5 days. Now, what you do for your own sanity these days is your own business, it's the human condition and we're all coping in various ways. So believe away, my man. I just wouldn't bet any money on you finding a limit any time soon. My money is complete catastrophe and then a rebuild as something completely unrecognizable, and the world just moves on as it always does until we fry from climate change. 

Sydney gets it.

There are no limits.  There is no bottom.  There will be no happy ending to this.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

And then there is shit like this that gives me hope that even if he tries to run some of these states will refuse to put him on the ballot

I think this is a pretty big deal

It's not.

Never forget his "I could shoot a man in the face in the middle of 5th avenue and not lose any supporters" statement.  It will always be true.  There are no consequences anymore.  The GQP is bound by no norms, no rules, no laws.  If the GQP officials of State X simply declare that the votes in all precincts that voted for the Dem candidate are invalid, and therefore Trump wins the state's electors, that will stand.

The GQP has figured out that they can just unilaterally declare Trump the winner in swing states, and that act will stand.  Once you realize that you can simply avoid the downside of elections altogether and thus seize/maintain power, if you are an autocrat at heart, you will absolutely take advantage of that.  They have TOLD US THAT IS WHAT THEY INTEND TO DO.  WE SHOULD BELIEVE THEM.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

And then there is shit like this that gives me hope that even if he tries to run some of these states will refuse to put him on the ballot

I think this is a pretty big deal

It’s only a big deal if you go after those who did it.  And if half of the country says don’t go after them, the other half usually shrivels up and declines to do it. Unless you actually make crime something that sends you to jail, then it will keep happening. Dems have to sack up and go for the jugular. Sorry, I couldn’t stop laughing typing that. 

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I maintain to this day, that if the Dem candidate was anyone other than Hillary 

Hey here's an idea... ( i dont have a subscription to WSJ, so I actually dont know what the article says)

image.thumb.png.c78f5631140ae0977f7887c495e90e13.png

Hillary Dotard II would definitely cause the flat earth to topple over. We would not survive it. Its so fucking terrifying, the simulation will probably ensure that it happens. And after Hillary wins it all,  Governor Huffines begins TX succession efforts.

A guest on Morning Joe today pointed out that the author of that Hillary piece wrote the same opinion in 2011 saying Obama should step aside and let Hillary run in 2012. I don’t think he should be taken seriously.

52 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

One election factor to consider that may play a bigger role than we think is that in many of these swing states that had statistically razor thin margins, a lot of die hard MAGAt's may no longer be with us, victims of the China virus.  It may play a bigger role than we think.

2 factors that I think might hurt Trump:

1. An extra few hundred thousand of his voters died in the last 2 years.  Unlikely to be the sole/defining difference in the outcome but could make some difference in swing states (AZ/GA).

2. He can’t tweet this time.  His ability to mass communicate and instantly respond to headlines is neutered.  I think this actually could be something that makes a huge difference.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

A guest on Morning Joe today pointed out that the author of that Hillary piece wrote the same opinion in 2011 saying Obama should step aside and let Hillary run in 2012. I don’t think he should be taken seriously.

I'm not. Just found it amusing that the WSJ would push that narrative, even in an op ed. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

2 factors that I think might hurt Trump:

1. An extra few hundred thousand of his voters died in the last 2 years.  Unlikely to be the sole/defining difference in the outcome but could make some difference in swing states (AZ/GA).

2. He can’t tweet this time.  His ability to mass communicate and instantly respond to headlines is neutered.  I think this actually could be something that makes a huge difference.

I'm not sure why you think this hurts him. I can make a pretty, prettaaaay convincing case that him not being able to tweet HELPS him. Considerably. There's a giant swath of voters that hate Trump that will find it easier to hold their noses and return to voting for him because he's been muted. It makes it much easier to vote straight ticket. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure why you think this hurts him. I can make a pretty, prettaaaay convincing case that him not being able to tweet HELPS him. Considerably. There's a giant swath of voters that hate Trump that will find it easier to hold their noses and return to voting for him because he's been muted. It makes it much easier to vote straight ticket. 

I have to say it wasn't until I heard him again on Morning Edition that I realized how much I hate hearing his voice.

https://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/

If you scroll down you can go straight to the Trump segment.

Edited by DDD Dad

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

It's this, sadly. Even people who I know to be intelligent and usually rational, when confronted with the Big Lie (which started with Romney/Obama 10 fucking years ago) and 1/6, you get an automatic response of, "Yeah, but what about Russia and the riots?" The standard GOP voter has already rationalized who they'll be voting for in 2024.

far too many people out there that think 1/6 was the same as lighting trash bins on fire outside the portland federal building, and that trump trying to overturn the 2020 election is the same as trump getting impeached for soliciting campaign donations from the russian and ukrainian governments. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

It never ceases to amaze me that Republican voters don’t stop ask themselves why an elite is leading their populism movement. 

These are the same people who think critical thinking is of the devil. No shit they aren't asking insightful questions. 

far too many people out there that think 1/6 was the same as lighting trash bins on fire outside the portland federal building, and that trump trying to overturn the 2020 election is the same as trump getting impeached for soliciting campaign donations from the russian and ukrainian governments. 

Hell, there are far too many people who think Ashli Babbitt was murdered in cold blood while she walked around the Capitol with a camera.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Trump will run on the platform of "the vaccines were 100% my doing" and all of these anti-vax shitbags and misinformation spreaders will reverse course fast enough to make your head spin.

If you have any anti-vaxxer relatives, friends, acquaintances, go tell them that Trump enthusiastically supports vaccines.  And check their voting records.

The anti-vaxx folks are not happy, and some need to step out of their bubble and engage that crowd a little more.

Trump picked up at least 11-13 million people who could not be bothered to vote Republican (if at all) in the past (more if Republicans crossed over for Biden) in 2020.

These people do feel betrayed and that Trump sold out and "crossed over" as one relative put it.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Those of you who still think Trump isn't the favorite right now to win the 2024 general don't get how committed even "moderate" Republicans are to hating liberals. It's not about anything tangibly real, it's about identity. They may not be rapid Trumpists, but to them, Dems are still worse. After all, Dems let a bunch of black thug criminals rampage and burn down all the cities in the summer of 2020 and the media cheered it on. 1/6 was just a raucous crowd that just got out of hand. These aren't Q-level takes, this is shit virtually every "moderate" or "centrist" still-Republican voter believes. They believe that because that's what they've been told, and that's what they've been told because that's what they want to believe. 

It's not like they have zero exposure to contrary information, but whenever they hear or read contrary information that doesn't fit with what they want to believe they disregard it. They have always believed conservatives are good people and liberals are bad people, so will believe anything that reinforces those beliefs and will ignore anything that doesn't. The world is simple for them: there are good guys and there are bad guys. They're the good guys, people who don't look and think like them are the bad guys. Trump is one of them, so he's a good guy. It's as simple as that. It's why anything bad he's ever done was excusable for some reason or just a liberal lie. This is why they cheer on war criminals like Eddie Gallagher, a man who gleefully murdered children.

You guys still think these people are rational voters with a solid commitment to certain ideas and values. They're not. Nobody is. 

If this were true trump would have won in 2020, especially with the inherent incumbency advantage. He didn’t and it won’t be better in 2024 if he tries as a challenger. He lost in 2020 fairly handily.

He only beat Hillary because people didn’t like Hillary, she was a shitty candidate, and Trump was an unknown wild card. Well over half the country despises him now. 

And for the republicans to even have a chance to steal the election in 2024 they have to win the house in 2024. That’s a tall order with trump on the ticket. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you have any anti-vaxxer relatives, friends, acquaintances, go tell them that Trump enthusiastically supports vaccines.  And check their voting records.

The anti-vaxx folks are not happy, and some need to step out of their bubble and engage that crowd a little more.

Trump picked up at least 11-13 million people who could not be bothered to vote Republican (if at all) in the past (more if Republicans crossed over for Biden) in 2020.

These people do feel betrayed and that Trump sold out and "crossed over" as one relative put it.

Who gives a fuck? They'll simply revert their position to "Yes, Trump let us down, but he's still better than Biden and look at America right now!"

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

anyone who thinks the big lie or 1/6 will hurt him is drastically overestimating the average person's attention span.  no matter how much he talks about it, people will have stopped caring by nov 2024.  and by "people" i mean potential trump voters who might be on the fence.  just because you're sick of it doesn't mean that they are.

go check out how those subjects poll on the r side of the aisle.  maybe pour the bourbon first.

and then remember that by then, there will have been 4-5 solid years of dragging biden through the mud by fox news.  when a dem is in charge is when fox is the most powerful.  this is no exception.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

anyone who thinks the big lie or 1/6 will hurt him is drastically overestimating the average person's attention span.  no matter how much he talks about it, people will have stopped caring by nov 2024.  and by "people" i mean potential trump voters who might be on the fence.  just because you're sick of it doesn't mean that they are.

go check out how those subjects poll on the r side of the aisle.  maybe pour the bourbon first.

and then remember that by then, there will have been 4-5 solid years of dragging biden through the mud by fox news.  when a dem is in charge is when fox is the most powerful.  this is no exception.

Fucking this.  Marginal voters have already stopped caring. How many times do we have to repeat this cycle where the GOP absolutely destroys everything and then people get mad at the Dems not fixing every single thing within two years and restore the GOP to national political power before some of you fuckers learn?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Fucking this.  Marginal voters have already stopped caring. How many times do we have to repeat this cycle where the GOP absolutely destroys everything and then people get mad at the Dems not fixing every single thing within two years and restore the GOP to national political power before some of you fuckers learn?

As many times as it takes to destroy this country.  Don't worry, we're almost done here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also this will happen 100%:

cnn - “mr trump, do you still maintain that the 2020 election was stolen?”

trumper - “god the fucking democrat lamestream fake news media won’t ever let it go they’re so annoying nobody cares anymore.”

Already saw that sentiment about 1/6 from some dipshit around here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

also this will happen 100%:

cnn - “mr trump, do you still maintain that the 2020 election was stolen?”

trumper - “god the fucking democrat lamestream fake news media won’t ever let it go they’re so annoying nobody cares anymore.”

That's exactly what happened with all his birther shit. He kept it going nearly until the election, then pulled that stunt at his hotel, and it's not like any of his fans suddenly changed their minds because he abandoned birtherism. 

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

My point is that Trump himself will be wholly unable to shut the fuck up about the Big Lie.

He could be about ready to make some tweetworthy soundbite for the base and all you have to do is say "Biden won" and he flips the fuck out and goes off.  Like Raymond Shaw and Queen of Diamonds.

Trump himself won't let anyone forget about it and I think it's going to start to annoy some people whose votes he needs.

Johnny Sack stopped caring on 1/7. But he's right: only Biden voters (and not even all of them) care anymore. It only took a few months for most of the population to be over the blatant, dangerous lies of the President riling up a fanatical cult, and the GOP using those lies for the express purpose of weakening Democracy moving forward. God, we're idiots.

And, like others have mentioned, when it's brought up this November and in 2024, liberals are always, always the true evil, so anything can, and will, be easily justified with that in mind.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Those of you who still think Trump isn't the favorite right now to win the 2024 general don't get how committed even "moderate" Republicans are to hating liberals. It's not about anything tangibly real, it's about identity. They may not be rapid Trumpists, but to them, Dems are still worse. After all, Dems let a bunch of black thug criminals rampage and burn down all the cities in the summer of 2020 and the media cheered it on. 1/6 was just a raucous crowd that just got out of hand. These aren't Q-level takes, this is shit virtually every "moderate" or "centrist" still-Republican voter believes. They believe that because that's what they've been told, and that's what they've been told because that's what they want to believe. 

It's not like they have zero exposure to contrary information, but whenever they hear or read contrary information that doesn't fit with what they want to believe they disregard it. They have always believed conservatives are good people and liberals are bad people, so will believe anything that reinforces those beliefs and will ignore anything that doesn't. The world is simple for them: there are good guys and there are bad guys. They're the good guys, people who don't look and think like them are the bad guys. Trump is one of them, so he's a good guy. It's as simple as that. It's why anything bad he's ever done was excusable for some reason or just a liberal lie. This is why they cheer on war criminals like Eddie Gallagher, a man who gleefully murdered children.

You guys still think these people are rational voters with a solid commitment to certain ideas and values. They're not. Nobody is. 

Think of it this way 

Trump = JoePa

Republicans = Penn State fans who deny the stuff Sandusky did because JoePa is their guy

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

My point is that Trump himself will be wholly unable to shut the fuck up about the Big Lie.

i agree.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He could be about ready to make some tweetworthy soundbite for the base

it'll be about the stolen election, and they'll love it.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

all you have to do is say "Biden won" and he flips the fuck out and goes off. 

me?  the media?  go listen to the npr interview from yesterday.  his talking points will be muscle memory far before 2024.  also when he flips the fuck out or he hangs up, his base eats it up.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Trump himself won't let anyone forget about it and I think it's going to start to annoy some people whose votes he needs.

it won't annoy them enough to not vote for him.  remember, he runs on grievance.  whether it's obama, the libs, stolen elections, whatever.  insert grievance here.  they're doing all this to me, can you believe it?  help me fix it.  vote for me, and i'll make sure they never do this stuff to us anymore, we can't let them get away with it.

if people pulled the lever for him in nov 2020 after 4 years of embarrassingly bad presidenting and straight-up non-stop toddler behavior, they will do it again in 2024 when it's less fresh in their heads.  whomever the dems nominate, they better set the baseline at 85mm+ votes and concentrate on those 6 states because i don't see trump's number going down, and there will be plenty of monkey business, believe that.

covid killing trumpers, old people dying, and new voters leaning blue are how this election goes the way we want it.  

nothing he says or does will have an affect on voters.  i really don't know how much clearer i can be about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

Trump is so obsessed with the Big Lie that if he won in 2024 he would use that as proof that 2020 was stolen and it would be what he spent most of his time talking about because he couldn't be a 2020 loser and a 2024 winner.  It might actually keep him from fucking too much else up because that's all he would obsess about for 4 years, well that and his inauguration crowd size.

He's also be brazen and stupid enough, if elected in 2024, to say, "You know...a lot of people are saying that since I actually won in 2020, that I am the first three term President ever.  Lot of people, smart people, historical people...they're saying that.  It's really something you know?"  

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Trump is so obsessed with the Big Lie that if he won in 2024 he would use that as proof that 2020 was stolen and it would be what he spent most of his time talking about because he couldn't be a 2020 loser and a 2024 winner.  It might actually keep him from fucking too much else up because that's all he would obsess about for 4 years, well that and his inauguration crowd size.

he will definitely call himself the first 3x presidential election winner ever.  sounds like a good t-shirt opportunity.

people will mention fdr, and he'll call it fake news.

• Haha 2

I would but Deputy Muffin gunned him down.  Obviously the three term claim would be deliciously ironic for two reasons, both of which would be sublimely lost on Trump voters.  It's okay Gandorf, at least this means there's a script in there somewhere.  Between FDR and term limits, it sets up a very dark but funny premise.  Then of course, Act II...the 'even shittier years'   But the third act could be something like Lethal Weapon 2, "Your Third Term has just been rescinded!"  I dunno.  

But levity aside, he will obviously proclaim that in a flippant way that his base will eat up as further evidence he is not bound by the constitution.  Even though...you know...reasons ironic...

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement