A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

On 12/18/2023 at 11:32 AM, Red Five said:

What kills me is that I have people in my life who will vote for Trump. Virtually all of my close family. They will vote for him if he is convicted on 91 counts. They will vote for him if he says during a rally that he plans on nuking San Francisco, because fuck that place. They will vote for him if he promises to get us into World War 3. They will vote for him if he promises to end democracy and rule as a dictator until the day he dies. 

On 12/18/2023 at 11:56 AM, DaysOff said:

Then they are bad people. I'm not talking about 2016 or 2020, but if you're still voting for any R in 2024, you're a bad person; there's no other way to paint it. My own mother is one. Rage watching FNC was we speak. "It's just on in the background. I'm not really paying attention. "

so i had a thought on my bro text group that i thought I'd share with yall.

i think it's stagnation largely for a generation who missed the world changing as it passed them by. trump represents a safe time that makes sense to them. but it wasn't safe except mostly for them from a financial standpoint. they could work hard and get an education and a house and with for the same company and actually retire and shit. most of them are retired now.

they are the marks. they always have been and they can't admit it to themselves. trickle down doesn't work but they somehow got theirs so their use case must be universally true. they've been convinced to vote against their own self interests because they can and it's easy. 

these are the people who couldn't program their goddamn vcr clocks in the 80s and they haven't done much to better themselves in the intervening decades. 

i really think there's something to the vcr clock thing. a lack of curiosity that results in entrenched stagnation

• Hook 'Em 5

29 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

stick with me here but what if their plan is to make that illegal labor....legal?

lol. but arbeit macht frei and shit. 

Back around 2006, George W, McCain, Teddy Kennedy, Rick Perry and others were trying to get a guest worker program going at the state and national levels.  That was some fun political discussion on the internet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Ant, there are lots of studies that show how people think. There are a lot of people who are conservative, who naturally feel comfortable looking at simple, easy dichotomies, like good versus evil, right versus wrong, Jesus versus all things not Jesus, evil Lib versus family values.  

In my jury selection I always identify those in the military, law-enforcement and engineering as more likely to be within that box.    Essentially, they feel uncomfortable with nuance and complexity, and their feeling of “right” or “correct” involves a distilling of complex issues into simple choices - or a natural reluctance to support a degree of uncertainty on important topics.

For many engineers, it is a impossible to accept the fact that a plaintiff who is only 50.1% more likely to win has proven to that engineer mind that they should win. That makes some sense, as engineers who require precise math for safety are not going to be comfortable with a 49% variance from what they deemed to be the correct specification.

Their orange God with his six grade vocabulary makes everything a simple choice for MAGAs.   A Middle East peace between the various nations and all the different religious sects is difficult. Saying “bomb the sand n*ggers until the desert is glass” in response to any middle east crisis is something simple and binary that they are more comfortable with. That sort of choice absolutely resonates with them. I do not think you can remove it through education for many. 

Well put.  Humanity has always had this spectrum of people, and it served us well because once we started agriculture, literacy, civilization, and cities-we needed this division of labor.  But it stayed largely out of politics.  It informed our faith (I grow crops so must pray to the sky people for water) or monarchies (I smelt iron for the crown's armies).  Then democracy comes along and changes it a bit, but not drastically.  Up until just a few decades ago, it is was not only not strange, but rather commonplace to encounter nuanced thinking in all walks of American life.  People had fewer information sources, so while they digested the same stuff on the whole---they had to supplant their own thinking on to it, from which to draw reasonable conclusions.  You had an actively go to a library or read a book or chat up an expert in a field if you wanted to know more about it.  And invariably, your intellectual curiosity forced your brain to rewire to onboard the new information and subsequent conclusions.  Information was available, but you still had to work a little bit to get it.  As was the case for centuries.  Now, as Pete Holmes says, "In this digital age?  Now, we know everything.  But we're not a lick smarter for it."  Organized religion isn't exactly new.  I attribute the paradigm shift primarily to two things:  1)  Lack of critical thinking skills being emphasized in schools/shitty education overall & 2) While both horribly, horribly flawed...both of our main political parties took a divergence in the recent past.  Both are filled with plenty of stupid people.  But one decided to try to enable those people to improve themselves and the other one decided to celebrate stupidity as a virtue and assure people that they were completely fine---everybody else was the problem.  as posted before, that is a potent drug high to kick.  There is no rehab for that.  Once that rush gets in your veins, no amount of information or facts or moral compassing is gonna walk that back.  Not even my re-education camps will save those people.  It makes dopamine pale in placebo fashion.

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Click on the Fossil Fuels one to get a taste of the Petroleum Engineers.

Not gonna kink shame you at the holidays, but I imagine they taste like burnt asshole.  

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those civil engineering numbers, that’s driven by aggy isn’t it?

I've only ever worked with one Aggie engineer (I'm sure more, just none that made it very clear), but he was hard to forget.  In the middle of the project he had to step away due to family issues.  Come to find out, he had an affair with his wife's sister.  I thought you guys might enjoy that one.  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

stick with me here but what if their plan is to make that illegal labor....legal?

lol. but arbeit macht frei and shit. 

Well, I'd be on board with that, it's the start of a real plan.  For those that wish to stay and become citizens, a path forward needs to exist.  For those that simply want to work and return home, a legal migrant status makes sense.  Either way, providing legality to me is important, it prevents exploitation and lots of other bad things.  Additionally, it would require taxation, which I'm also in favor of.  

It's obviously more complicated than that, but it's a start.  

Just now, BamaATL said:

Well, I'd be on board with that, it's the start of a real plan.  For those that wish to stay and become citizens, a path forward needs to exist.  For those that simply want to work and return home, a legal migrant status makes sense.  Either way, providing legality to me is important, it prevents exploitation and lots of other bad things.  Additionally, it would require taxation, which I'm also in favor of.  

It's obviously more complicated than that, but it's a start.  

Cool fantasy.

When you realize that the current "immigration debate/fervor" has NOTHING to do with legal status, labor markets, costs, benefits, etc., and is ENTIRELY about nativist xenophobic demonization of all immigrants (remember, they want to end birthright citizenship, and flat-out close the borders to all immigration), then you realize that your entirely rational proposal is DOA.

It's not any more complicated than that.  The reason that there have been no recent actual policy discussions or proposals about immigration is because the "anti-immigration" crowd has zero interest in immigration policy.  "Immigrants" are simply the demon/other they have chosen to villify, and that hatred is their entire reason for being.  "Solving the problem" would take the thing they hate away, and they can't have that.

TLDR; we can't fix immigration because it's not about immigration at all.  It's about old fashioned hatred, full stop.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I've only ever worked with one Aggie engineer (I'm sure more, just none that made it very clear), but he was hard to forget.  In the middle of the project he had to step away due to family issues.  Come to find out, he had an affair with his wife's sister.  I thought you guys might enjoy that one.  

My BIL is an aggy engineer. He works for.....

wait for it.......

TXDoT. 

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool fantasy.

When you realize that the current "immigration debate/fervor" has NOTHING to do with legal status, labor markets, costs, benefits, etc., and is ENTIRELY about nativist xenophobic demonization of all immigrants (remember, they want to end birthright citizenship, and flat-out close the borders to all immigration), then you realize that your entirely rational proposal is DOA.

It's not any more complicated than that.  The reason that there have been no recent actual policy discussions or proposals about immigration is because the "anti-immigration" crowd has zero interest in immigration policy.  "Immigrants" are simply the demon/other they have chosen to villify, and that hatred is their entire reason for being.  "Solving the problem" would take the thing they hate away, and they can't have that.

TLDR; we can't fix immigration because it's not about immigration at all.  It's about old fashioned hatred, full stop.

This. Us vs them. Religion is really good at dehumanizing other groups in this manner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cool fantasy.
I've been thinking a lot about how corrupted our historical biases pollute our current thinking. It's completely pervasive.

Basic world history is taught from a Euro centered world view. Greece and Rome good, Moors bad. Never mind all the advanced civilizations that thrived during Europe's Dark Ages. It's ignored. Which makes xenophobia and racism an easy step. Bomb those savages back to the stone age. Without slavery the world would still be living in huts. White men made all the innovation and discovery.

It's a problem. And we cant even talk about the impacts of slavery on subsequent generations.

And our media silos mean it will never go away.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

My BIL is an aggy engineer. He works for.....

wait for it.......

TXDoT. 

I’d wager that 80% of civils are paid via tax dollars, either directly or through contracts. That being said, familiarity breeds contempt and the government flaws shine when working with them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool fantasy.

That's true, and they aren't remotely serious about actually addressing the issue.  Unfortunately, a lot of people's coping mechanism for their lot in life is to look down their nose at someone else or a group of people.  Take that out the equation, and it's a big talking point gone for them.  It makes me mad because these are fixable problems, and the people that scream the loudest about it make zero effort to actually work on them.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

His wife’s sister or his sister-wife?

Legit wife's sister.  Craziest shit I think I've ever heard of.

People have affairs all the time, and of course that's none of my business, what goes on in a marriage is between those two folks.  Of course word gets out on something that scandalous (and sadly hilarious).  The thing I'll never understand is if you had a wandering eye, or whatever else going on, why on earth wouldn't you look at something outside your immediate family.  Occasionally, I find myself wondering what that guy's Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas is like, must be just a bunch of laughs.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That's true, and they aren't remotely serious about actually addressing the issue.  Unfortunately, a lot of people's coping mechanism for their lot in life is to look down their nose at someone else or a group of people.  Take that out the equation, and it's a big talking point gone for them.  It makes me mad because these are fixable problems, and the people that scream the loudest about it make zero effort to actually work on them.  

We have had a high-functioning southern border for more often than we have not.  Shit, my old man's first job (and he's an old man) was driving a van shuttling braceros to different worksites in south Texas.  We've had brown dudes crossing the river for labor forever and ever and ever.  There was a process, ID cards, all kinds of shit that's just common-sense.

Then, our resident xenophobic fascists realized we needed a new dark-skinned enemy to unite us around some good old fashioned hatred, and those civil rights fuckers ruined the old deal, where society could bond over shitting on the n-words.....so the hatred crowd had to gather their wits and eventually say "okay.....let's turn our focus to the BROWNS!  They're almost as dark as the blacks, so we can make it work!"

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Legit wife's sister.  Craziest shit I think I've ever heard of.

People have affairs all the time, and of course that's none of my business, what goes on in a marriage is between those two folks.  Of course word gets out on something that scandalous (and sadly hilarious).  The thing I'll never understand is if you had a wandering eye, or whatever else going on, why on earth wouldn't you look at something outside your immediate family.  Occasionally, I find myself wondering what that guy's Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas is like, must be just a bunch of laughs.  

[aggy, just sitting there eating turkey, looking from sister to sister, thinking "I've fucked both of those chicks."]  Aggy is not a complex creature.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

[aggy, just sitting there eating turkey, looking from sister to sister, thinking "I've fucked both of those chicks."]  Aggy is not a complex creature.

I’d like to think that setting up a threesome would be more difficult…. but hopefully not impossible. 

On 12/21/2023 at 5:21 AM, AnTiM said:

The threat is the same one it has always been; half the population is below average intelligence.

In a normal distribution, won't this always be the case? If everyone was a genius, half the geniuses would be below average.

Intelligence is not the problem. Hell, there are plenty of intelligent, evil people. 

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

In a normal distribution, won't this always be the case? If everyone was a genius, half the geniuses would be below average.

Intelligence is not the problem. Hell, there are plenty of intelligent, evil people. 

Well yeah, they’re the republican oligarchs, who are really intelligent and use it to manipulate a bunch of bumpkins to vote to never tax their wealth and to instead blame immigrants and drag queens for something or other. The way they fall for wedge issues that have nothing to do with them is pretty astonishing. Our citizens are too stupid to exist as a country.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Just a reminder for the maga dumbasses ….

The Constitution has four requirements to run for president:

1) Natural-born citizen
2) 35 years old
3) Lived in US for 14 years
4) Not have violated oath to uphold Constitution by engaging in an insurrection.

fucking NPR this morning had the Georgia Republican party chair on air. Asked him something about DoTArd's not being on the ballot in Colorado. Guy said the constitution says to be president you have to be 35, natural born citizen, and lived in country for 14 years. Said nothing about #4. NPR pussy doing the interview just let is slide, no push back, nothing. 

edit: linky poo if you want to listen

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/22/1221128946/georgia-gop-chair-discusses-colorado-ruling-disqualifying-trump-from-primary-bal

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

38 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

fucking NPR this morning had the Georgia Republican party chair on air. Asked him something about DoTArd's not being on the ballot in Colorado. Guy said the constitution says to be president you have to be 35, natural born citizen, and lived in country for 14 years. Said nothing about #4. NPR pussy doing the interview just let is slide, no push back, nothing. 

edit: linky poo if you want to listen

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/22/1221128946/georgia-gop-chair-discusses-colorado-ruling-disqualifying-trump-from-primary-bal

Probably had to sign an agreement that they'd present no pushback in order for the Republican Chairman to be a guest on the air.  

• Rage+1 1