• 2019 Isaiah Rutherford - 4 Star .9171 - Hasn't cracked the three deep yet
  • 2019 K J Wallace - 4 Star .9017 - Will Start Next Year
  • 2018 Houston Griffin - 4 Star .9651 - Transfer Portal
  • 2018 Noah Boynkin - 4 Star .8912 - Transfer to UMASS
  • 2018 DJ Brown - 3 Star .8802 - Moved to Safety
  • 2017 - None taken
  • 2016 Donte Vaughn - 4 Star .8981- NFL
  • 2016 Julian Love - 3 Star .8711 - NFL

Even though from the outside it looks like they have recruited well, they really haven't.  In the Bama game, Sark really picked on CB #4 in the first half and he was a grad transfer from NC State.  The fact that Sark prepared for Joseph's secondary two weeks before taking the Texas job and Joseph being one of the first coaches he offered is good enough for me.  Based solely on his other hires, I'm going to trust his judgement until he gives us reason not to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Judging the Joseph hire on the ability of our CB’s to do the hardest thing in football (turn around and find the ball in the air while not losing ground on a receiver running full speed) is laughable. There’s a reason almost no CB’s in the country can consistently do it and that pass interference is the most effective way to move the ball for some offenses. The rules in the modern game favor the offense to the extreme. You can barely put your hands on a receiver anymore. 

That being said, it’s going to be funny when people praise Joseph for the CB’s play this year because he’ll have the luxury of trotting out 2 senior starters at corner or Darion Dunn, who is a damn good player. Joseph’s real work will start in 2022. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I question Ash's ability to coach DB honestly simply for being dumb enough to hire guy at a school like Texas with virtually no experience. Makes me question his entire thought process. Just because Urban fondled his nuts means he was right. The DB improvement from year prior wasn't significant coverage wise. They did tackle better.

You’re really conflating the issue here. He’s a bad manager of people and bad at hiring as we saw at Rutgers, but he absolutely knows how to coach DBs.

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You should probably do a little bit of research. Joseph recruited and coached Kyle Hamilton who has been on several All-American lists. 

Also, Joseph "wasn't fortunate". Multiple schools wanted him. 

Elko was the primary recruiter for Hamilton and did all the leg work in that one, not Joseph. 

4 hours ago, D3zii said:

I’ll put it like this, I don’t know Terry but I do know his cousin Mickey personally (WR coach at LSU) hell of a coach and even better recruiter, don’t believe me go look at his 247....

If Terry is anything like his cousin which I’m pretty sure they talk and probably give each other Tips..We’ll be just fine. Just give the guy a chance. If Sark has done anything it’s lead me to trust his decisions with these hires. 

his cousin’s a good coach, so he must be a good coach? Seriously? That’s what you came up with? Holy shit that’s dumb. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

You can find ND sources that will tell you he’s a plus recruiter and coach. We won’t know for sure until a year from now. Agreed that secondary is the weak link in this staff. Joseph paired with Gideon leaves a good bit to be desired.

Where? I’ve never seen a single source say that about him from any of the schools he’s coached at. 

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, wasn't Jimmy Lake one of the say top 10? DB coaches in the country before he was bumped to the head corch?

Right. I’m not saying we had to get someone as good as Lake, but the downgrade from Lake to Joseph at CB is certainly something to monitor. 

Re: Joseph or any other position coach... 

If you’ve ever been in a position of hiring a team of people (3 or more), then you realize that you hire the best people that you can work well with. Not just the best resume with the highest achievements. If someone is a high performer but is an asshat to work with you have to weigh the importance of that position on your team. Sark seems to have a great core, with coaches that develop talent and, that I’ll bet, can make those around them better. Not all “great on paper” hires work out, even for the most thorough. Time will tell, but I finally feel comfortable with the head coach and his talent evaluations. 

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Really interesting, between this interview and the Athletic article it looks like this all happened quickly over last weekend.  Clearly Sark had other plans, had to be waiting on someone else that fell through last week and they went to plan B.  Wonder if Quinn was Plan A

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

One note about Milwee - even by MAC standards Akron is pretty much bereft of talent. No one's going there over Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, or even Toledo. Anytime they or Kent State even make a bowl it's a huge deal.

Another thing on Milwee--saw some Bama guys saying that he was bumped up to the 10 on-field assistants for two weeks last year when the coaching staff was down due to COVID. That's a very positive data point considering all the guys that Bama has as analysts. 

Sark is playcaller and coaching QBs, so he just needs a guy that he can trust to see the field during games and coach QBs the way he wants while he attends to other things during practice. If Milwee is that guy then he's a good hire. He's not the OC so there's no sense in judging him by his performance as OC.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Re: Joseph or any other position coach... 

If you’ve ever been in a position of hiring a team of people (3 or more), then you realize that you hire the best people that you can work well with. Not just the best resume with the highest achievements. If someone is a high performer but is an asshat to work with you have to weigh the importance of that position on your team. Sark seems to have a great core, with coaches that develop talent and, that I’ll bet, can make those around them better. Not all “great on paper” hires work out, even for the most thorough. Time will tell, but I finally feel comfortable with the head coach and his talent evaluations. 

So Tom was right in bringing over his UH staff? 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So Tom was right in bringing over his UH staff? 

He said hire "the best people you can work well with." Not "the most average to below average people that you've worked with before."

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

QBs: AJ Milwee (previously: analyst at Alabama, Akron OC/QB coach) - C

He was pretty terrible at Akron. His highest FEI offensive rating was in the 80s and every other year is below 100. That's out of like 125 teams. In 2018, he was third from last. Maybe he's a decent QB coach without having to deal with the difficulties of being an OC. Maybe he just sucks. He is described as Sark's right hand which sound like code for comfort hire to me. Maybe he got better through osmosis and Sark thinks he learned well during his time as an analyst at Bama. Maybe the dude still sucks. Sark apparently plans to call plays and be heavily involved with day to day offensive duties, so it is possible he could mitigate this by virtue of being a great QB coach himself, but man, I really think we could have done better.

This is just fucking stupid.

Regardless of what you think of Milwee's time at Akron - he isn't being hired to coordinate the offense, he is being hired to game-plan and assist Sark with coaching the QB's. He was promoted to on-field coach when Saban was out with COVID and clearly had the trust of the Alabama staff (he was hired by Jones to be OC at Arkansas ST).  I'm not even sure how anyone could begin to grade this hire considering how little of his job was available for public consumption.  All we really have to go off of is the Alabama game plans that he (allegedly) had a hand in drawing up.  Does anyone think Sark doesn't have a good idea of Milwee's strengths and weaknesses?

I'd love to see Boat's ranking of QB coaches that Sark should have gone with.  

Its also hilarious that you're fine with the GIdeon hire (an A-minus?) - despite not having a real position on this staff and his hire likely preventing us from hiring a dedicated CB coach.  Hell, the one area (ST's) Gideon excelled in he isn't even going to be in charge of.  Sark at least has two years of experience working with MIlwee - GIdeon was seemingly hired based off of an anticipated Muschamp hire that never happened. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

I think, at least for me, its less about Joseph not being the best hire Sark could have made vs not being a good hire.  Its as someone posted.  The others are so good by comparison he pales.  Others includes the other staff and other coaches fans wanted such as Raymond.  Also, in my mind, the timing of the hiring seemed odd especially with the Gideon hire being so close and there being no chance for DC to bring his guy.  Sark hired him for a reason and, not that it matters, i'm cool with it.  That said of the entire bunch he was the hire i question most.  Lastly, i'm pretty awesome and my cousin sucks.  I'd hate for people to make decisions about me based on that regard.

Sark said several times that putting together a coaching staff is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.  The pieces need to fit to the others.  Who knows how good Joseph will be but based on the overall staff he’s put in place Sark definitely gets the benefit of the doubt from me.  This all reminds me of some dork complaining that Cindy Crawford would be hot if it weren’t for that mole.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I talked to a guy that works nationally and he’s confused by the consternation over the hire. He mocked the concept that Joseph can’t recruit. Both ATM and ND tenures had hamstrings around maximizing performance. 

If Joseph flounders under Kwiatkowski, I’m guessing Sarkisian will fire him as soon as the 2021 season is over. He doesn’t seem to be fucking around. 

There’s far more hair on the Coleman re-hire than Joseph, to me. 

Glad to hear a good data point on him. I’m not really worried about his recruiting. His evals and coaching/development are the issues IMO. For evals, hopefully our personnel department will take care of that for him. I also liked him significantly better as a hire when I thought he would be coaching Safeties.  Historically, when he was a DB coach, his safeties performed better than corners. There are concerns about his technical coaching at CB. 

Really interesting, between this interview and the Athletic article it looks like this all happened quickly over last weekend.  Clearly Sark had other plans, had to be waiting on someone else that fell through last week and they went to plan B.  Wonder if Quinn was Plan A

Plan A was Muschamp. Once he accepted and then later backed out (hence coaches hired before New DC) he had to find another DC.

After that, they took a step back and casted a wide net to look at what was out there.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Even when great things happen we find shit to bitch about. Our fan base is completely insufferable.

Unless you've got a brainwashed cult like TexAgs, every fanbase is going to be like this.

And even the most pessimistic posters here like the staff as a whole, but have some nits to pick.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Unless you've got a brainwashed cult like TexAgs, every fanbase is going to be like this.

And even the most pessimistic posters here like the staff as a whole, but have some nits to pick.

It’s hilarious to see how many people get triggered when I clearly said our staff is great, but this guy is the most questionable. People really struggle to hold multiples ideas in their mind. We either have to have a great staff picked by a head coach who never makes mistakes or Tom is terrible and everyone on his staff sucked, including Coleman...who our new coach who can’t make mistakes just retained. 

2 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Sark making all the right moves so far. Impressing donors, getting buy-in from the players, and hiring a kick-ass staff. The future seems brighter than it's been in a while!

Sorry, is that too optimistic for Surly?

Nope. I wasn’t a fan of the Sark hire at first, but I agree with everything you said and I’m very optimistic about Sark and our coaching staff.  

Hiring PK put me over the top. He’s such a solid defensive coach, if that’s who Sark nabs as his Plan B/Plan C at DC, then we’re in damn good shape. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It was interesting that Sark said he has tried to hire Coleman multiple times, including at Bama. Seems like we're in the dark on some aspects of his ability, and our sample size is only 1 (unimpressive) year

• Hook 'Em 1

With regards to Milwee, I'm guessing he's basically Sarks 2nd set of eyes and ears.  He's probably going to be the one in the press box relaying what he sees on the field to Sark.  He was a record setting QB wasn't he?  Also called plays and did very well right?  From the sounds of it, he's probably extremely bright, understands Sark's system very well, and probably gets shit done.  I think I read a report elsewhere that he's probably going to be the one running the meetings when Sark isn't there.  

Sark probably trusts him and it's probably why he was the first coach that was confirmed by the reporters when Sark took the job.  If I were to guess...

Sark will call the plays.

Milwee will be in the press box relaying formations, personnel, tendencies.

Flood will handle the blocking schemes.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It’s trapped on the Island of Tired Memes and Overused Shitty Dad Jokes. You and Yukon Cornelius should go there and try to save it. Send smoke signals back to us in order to keep us informed. 

Okay, guys. Raymond allegedly didn’t make the trip because there’s compliance shit out there on him. Either what’s coming down the pipe at LSU is nasty and on him in part, or that could be the case and it isn’t worth it. 

If we can move on from that one and maybe see him down the line, great. 

I talked to a guy that works nationally and he’s confused by the consternation over the hire. He mocked the concept that Joseph can’t recruit. Both ATM and ND tenures had hamstrings around maximizing performance. 

If Joseph flounders under Kwiatkowski, I’m guessing Sarkisian will fire him as soon as the 2021 season is over. He doesn’t seem to be fucking around. 

How do you like that? Even among misfits, you're a misfit. No better quote for surly lulz 

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm totally with you, but a lot of the nits being picked are just hilariously ignorant. Joseph being fortunate to end up at Notre Dame which is the only reason he looked good and AJ Milwee's Akron OC performance preventing us from hiring one of the "great QB coaches in the country" are just stupid takes without basis in reality.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Milwee comments are odd in that I'm not sure how many great non-playcalling OC/QB coaches are out there and willing to be hired at a place where you're not going to get much of the credit for your work. I suppose Ohio State has done it, but they're in a different place as a program than we are right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

Holy shit.  I guess there was too much positivity in this thread.  Look I know “we’re Texas “ but not every assistant wants to uproot their lives and family to be in Austin.  Look what happened to guys like Hagen and hutzler.   

and Joseph sucks, according to who? A friend of Kevin Dunn’s?   As for Coleman, he’s had one year working with a guy who apparently is a meddler.  I’m ok with giving him another year.  Any chance Colbert and Wiggins just didn’t want to come. 

and fuck off with the herm comparisons.  He brought 7 dudes from Houston and one of his best buddies.   Seems like sark barely knew Joseph,Gideon, Pete, And Bo.  

also everyone is taking about Ash bring a great db coach. I wasn’t that impressed with our defensive backs last year

Relax and let it play out

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Milwee comments are odd in that I'm not sure how many great non-playcalling OC/QB coaches are out there and willing to be hired at a place where you're not going to get much of the credit for your work. I suppose Ohio State has done it, but they're in a different place as a program than we are right now.

The only reason we know Corey Dennis's name is because of Ewers/Urban. Every good/great QB coach goes up the ladder to OC/HC quickly.

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

The only reason we know Corey Dennis's name is because of Ewers/Urban. Every good/great QB coach goes up the ladder to OC/HC quickly.

I was actually referring to Kevin Wilson and Mike Yurcich.

Edit: although it appears that Wilson now shares playcalling duties with Day.

Edited by Machinator

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Both sides have valid points. I mean Ohio State had Mike Yurcich as their QB coach and he was a sitting OC of a top 15 offense the year before. However the role of a QB coach isn't to recruit, its to help the OC with game planning and be an aid in the technical development of QB's. Milwee played college FB and knows this offense and will help with the transition. if he can actually aid in play calling that's a bonus, but as an analyst his job was to break down opposing defenses, he is familiar with what sark wants and the lingo he speaks so when we play tcu he can say "hey remember what we did last year against Auburn.." that's a big deal imo. So while we probably couldve hired a more qualified guy we probably ended up with the right guy. So excited to kick peoples ass.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You know what else is odd, when people confuse the gordita with the puffy taco.  One is Mexican and the other Tex-Mex.   

Edited by RollLeft

8 hours ago, cafe society said:

Small sample size and grow the fuck up.

He also coached Notre  dame the entire year.  Looks like their defense wasn’t awful.  Is it because they had an elite front 7?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I’m too lazy to look it up on a mobile

Edited by closetohumping