Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

16 minutes ago, TOR said:

I wish someone would pay me $10 million to live in Austin and go to all the football games.  

Back in the day, I turned my nose up at the marching band because (in their own words) they were "there to support football" and weren't so much about concert band music.

I have spent most of the past couple decades regretting those decisions, even though that was smack dab in the middle of Mackovic mediocrity. Free trips to the games, some pretty awesome people, cool hats... I missed out on some great shit because I was ... well, you know. Me.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Back in the day, I turned my nose up at the marching band because (in their own words) they were "there to support football" and weren't so much about concert band music.

I have spent most of the past couple decades regretting those decisions, even though that was smack dab in the middle of Mackovic mediocrity. Free trips to the games, some pretty awesome people, cool hats... I missed out on some great shit because I was ... well, you know. Me.

Those sweaty band-nerd girls need love too.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TOR said:

Hey, don't knock band nerd girls. Not only knew some absolute knockouts from the band, but the lower on the scale the instrument is, the better she is at kissing. If you ever get to swap tongues with a bass trombone or tuba player, you'll spend the rest of your life chasing that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, immamac said:

10 is slightly high for now but super cheap for 2030. I think this is balanced and good. 

He will get a raise in a few years if he keeps winning, so I doubt his salary remains at these levels if he is still coaching at Texas in 2030.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of y'all think the dollars or length are out of line, take a look at what other coaches who haven't made the playoffs are making.  

Lincoln Riley - $10M/yr through 2031

Lane Kiffin - $9M/yr through 2027 (Mississippi law only allows 4 yr contracts to state employees)

Josh Heupel - $9M/yr through 2029

Mark Stoops - $9M/yr through 2030

James Franklin - $8.5M/yr through 2031

Jimbo Fisher - $7M/yr through 2031 (and was paid ~$20M within 60 days of his firing)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Will you talk to my son about this? 

13 hours ago, TOR said:

band today isn’t the same as it was during our time. Hyper competitiveness in athletics has driven a larger number of “cool” and good looking kids into the band, at least at the big Texas high schools. 

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm pretty sure "guaranteed compensation" in this context of that screen cap is simply base salary and there is a specific buyout procedure outlined elsewhere in the contract.

I think that's correct.  "Guaranteed" in this instance probably means payable without meeting any conditions.

18 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Hey, don't knock band nerd girls. Not only knew some absolute knockouts from the band, but the lower on the scale the instrument is, the better she is at kissing. If you ever get to swap tongues with a bass trombone or tuba player, you'll spend the rest of your life chasing that.

One time at band camp….

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

band today isn’t the same as it was during our time. Hyper competitiveness in athletics has driven a larger number of “cool” and good looking kids into the band, at least at the big Texas high schools. 

5 hours ago, troph said:

Will you talk to my son about this? 

My mom/grandma also told me I was cool and good looking

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, troph said:

Cosigned. I was in both band in football through 9th grade and stuck with football after that because I am ugly.

8 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah, back in my day the band was1 tuba player, 2 trumpet players, 1 drummer, 1 each saxophone and clarinet player, and 1 strange smiling girl that could never find her flute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yeah, back in my day the band was1 tuba player, 2 trumpet players, 1 drummer, 1 each saxophone and clarinet player, and 1 strange smiling girl that could never find her flute.

Mrs. Brat was drum major.

73ECA6E2-56A7-4665-843A-1C34AFE9C8BD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, troph said:

My daughter was the athlete (though also a classical guitar major), and my son looks like he's going to be a band kid, and I have no problem with that.  And he's also at Lamar Middle School and will attend McCallum High School, so the band kids are even further removed from how they were viewed when I was in high school.  

On 2/18/2024 at 8:15 AM, Redneck Mutha said:

Any of y'all think the dollars or length are out of line, take a look at what other coaches who haven't made the playoffs are making.  

Lane Kiffin - $9M/yr through 2027 (Mississippi law only allows 4 yr contracts to state employees)

Jimbo Fisher - $7M/yr through 2031 (and was paid ~$20M within 60 days of his firing)

I don't understand the hand-wringing either. We got Sark at a discount and now he needs to be paid in line with other playoff coaches. His original contract was also fully guaranteed IIRC. 

Sark was #30 on the "highest paid coaches" list: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Some of these dudes are WAAAAY over paid.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't understand the hand-wringing either. We got Sark at a discount and now he needs to be paid in line with other playoff coaches. His original contract was also fully guaranteed IIRC. 

Sark was #30 on the "highest paid coaches" list: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Some of these dudes are WAAAAY over paid.

Right?! Stoops? Franklin? Jesus 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

My daughter was the athlete (though also a classical guitar major), and my son looks like he's going to be a band kid, and I have no problem with that.  And he's also at Lamar Middle School and will attend McCallum High School, so the band kids are even further removed from how they were viewed when I was in high school.  

McCallum had a good band, second best in AISD.

I always enjoy their shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:15 AM, Redneck Mutha said:

Both of those guys have been to the CFP at least once, and one of them, Fisher, has won a title.

However, if you meant "at their current school", then you could add Kalen DeBoer to that list as well.

Edited by Atticus

Hope Sark really improves red zone scoring in 2024.  In crunch time, it's often players not plays that make the difference.

Saw this recent article about Bill Walsh...

In tight games, Bill Walsh stressed relationships, not scheme

The legendary 49ers head coach knew more Xs and Os than anyone, but he knew that his players' love for each other mattered more than anything.

https://footballscoop.com/news/in-tight-games-bill-walsh-stressed-relationships-not-scheme

On 2/19/2024 at 4:19 PM, oldhorn2 said:

goddamn...I hate the off season. .....fat old guys remembering when they were fat band members wishing they had the nuts to chase after fat band girls.....awwww....what might have been.....when is spring ball anyway?

Tell me you don't know shit about band kids without telling me you don't know shit about band kids.

Optimistic me thinks this draft has the potential of giving Sark the Sabanesque halo to recruits. It was already great publicity to have so many guys at the combine, but then we have two receivers below 4.35 and one setting an all new record at 4.21. Is any other school getting this much combine press and hype at this point?

The fastest man on earth just said that joining Sark took him to places they never thought possible with all the football world's spotlight on him. That's so insanely badass, and so completely anti-mack brown. Mack Brown's greatest season is infamous because he stopped coaching and "let vince be vince," so you never had anybody standing around praising his coaching job. The biggest stars in football right now are saying when it was all said and done, Sark made them better, and holy shit that's going to take our program places. I'm so fucking pumped up right now.

• Hook 'Em 5