Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Blocton to Texas, Robinson to Texas, Hills to Texas, that’s 4 interior DL including January. So you’re left waiting for McKinley and if you get him, trying to hang on to all 5 through signing day. 

I know we set a high bar with our expectations around here, but this is my reaction to Bo Davis if we land this class and McKinley:

IMG_6047.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That’s crazy. You can’t get a better OV list than that. Is he just one of those really raw Florida kids that Gerry talks about?  If you are doing recruiting rankings for a service and see an OV schedule like that, maybe it’s time to take a second look at your evaluation. 

If you look at his HUDL, he is huge but he is slow. He is one of these guys who isn't going to get many sacks, but you won't be able to run on him either. He would look pretty bad in sack drills and cone drills, but he is pretty much an immovable object on the field - everyone needs those type of guys.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Bevo said:

If you look at his HUDL, he is huge but he is slow. He is one of these guys who isn't going to get many sacks, but you won't be able to run on him either. He would look pretty bad in sack drills and cone drills, but he is pretty much an immovable object on the field - everyone needs those type of guys.

Thanks for the breakdown coach.

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So, Coburn and Sweat. Yes, Texas needs those type of guys.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Someone asked up thread. Upcoming known announcements.

July 4 – Langham Creek tight end Jordan Washington remains a big Texas lean over Texas A&M. 

July 8 – Defensive lineman Malik Blocton will announce out of Texas and Auburn July 8. Not out of the question the Longhorns win this one. 

July 12 – Defensive lineman Melvin Hills remains a Texas lean over Ole Miss. 

Around July 20 – Four-star defensive lineman TJ Lindsey is expected to announce before the end of July with Texas and Auburn considered the favorites over Texas A&M and Miami. Lindsey really likes Jason Taylor at Miami, but they aren’t in the SEC and that is not a choice of the parents. 

July 21 – D’antre Robinson will announce his school choice.

It’s a high class problem, but with all the Kool Aid flowing from DL recruiting, it sounds like there maybe a numbers crunch there. 

Edited by Codaxx

There is no reason to actively turn down any of the interior DL currently on our board. Odds are 1-2 won't end up going our way anyway, but load up on as many as you can. We only took 1 last cycle. It seems like we are taking 1 LB at most this cycle and only 1-2 true safeties so a healthy number of scholarship should be allocated to DL/Edge. No need to spend one second worrying about the numbers.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is no reason to actively turn down any of the interior DL currently on our board. Odds are 1-2 won't end up going our way anyway, but load up on as many as you can. We only took 1 last cycle. It seems like we are taking 1 LB at most this cycle and only 1-2 true safeties so a healthy number of scholarship should be allocated to DL/Edge. No need to spend one second worrying about the numbers.

reminder to everyone:

image.png.c85f3e7bd69962afca256ae8e881333e.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is more to it than that. The limit is probably 4 with McKinley being a numbers buster (that would make it 5). It is not 7+.Bo has a preference on his takes. There is something like 6 guys for 4 spots, excluding McKinley. Bo is trying to navigate this, so he optimizes the  4 commits. There is also the issue of having a big class at a position. That can turnoff players. While Texas isn’t going to say no to a 5 star player, because of numbers, they do have to manage numbers at each position. No staff is going to take 8 commits in 1 class for a position that has 2 starters on the field. To quote Mos Def “even numbers have limits”. 

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe ctj said 5 interior DL and 3 edge in this class, right? That’s a lot of beef. 

I bet we are going to have a purge at the edge spot after the season and/or after spring. Would not surprise me to see us get rid of a few dudes there that are dead weight. 

For anyone that might be in the know- as we progress towards signing day and prospects commit to places and not others, how does the nil (or other if still in play) money move around?  Stay committed as coaches fight for a flip?  Get moved to another recruitment to raise the stakes?  Some of each?  Highly unpredictable based on individual circumstances?

I think he meant " ... doesn't mean ..." because I believe his commitment date was already supposed to be July 7.  (Or does he mean he will commit but not post on social media?  So a silent commitment on July 7?)

(Posting an image, in case he deletes/reposts and it becomes even more confusing.)

image.png.60de5fe21d6b2e8125764d930ffc8cd2.png

Edited by Getafix

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. We have the chance to land 4 5stars this cycle. Huge

Five actually. Simmons, Black, McKinley, Baker and Wingo. 

Just about everyone seems to consider us comfortably leading for Simmons and Black at the moment. Same can arguably be said for McKinley following his visit and the more we hear that travel distance + academics are going to be crucial to his decision the more you have to love our chances. Obviously there is a lot of hype about us and Wingo as well; personally I think all of that is irrelevant until he takes his OV to Tennessee (our real competition) later this month but even still we have a good shot. Finally we pretty much know Baker is a coin flip between ourselves and Ohio St. 

Crazy thing is unlike past years where we would do these 'dream scenario' type lists none of these really require a bunch of things to fall our way. We could land all five and it wouldn't even be an upset (not that I expect that to actually happen). 

• Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Five actually. Simmons, Black, McKinley, Baker and Wingo. 

Just about everyone seems to consider us comfortably leading for Simmons and Black at the moment. Same can arguably be said for McKinley following his visit and the more we hear that travel distance + academics are going to be crucial to his decision the more you have to love our chances. Obviously there is a lot of hype about us and Wingo as well; personally I think all of that is irrelevant until he takes his OV to Tennessee (our real competition) later this month but even still we have a good shot. Finally we pretty much know Baker is a coin flip between ourselves and Ohio St. 

Crazy thing is unlike past years where we would do these 'dream scenario' type lists none of these really require a bunch of things to fall our way. We could land all five and it wouldn't even be an upset (not that I expect that to actually happen). 

I did forget Baker! Also I would argue that there's probably more smoke around Wingo than McKinley right now. Otherwise good post.

Edited by BornAndRaised

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls