Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

39 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Roach sure seems to post a lot more on recruits leaning away from Texas. Dude needs to go work for DCTF already.

It's just because his sources are trainers and low-end high school coaches. Trainer-led recruitments aren't generally our sweet spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Drifterwood said:

Maybe he was just being honest about it being a lie, but then he realized that college football message board posters on this site would interpret his tweet this way so he quickly deleted it to trick college football message board posters on the other school’s site!

All real VIPs know that. 

0D8AC7B2-A58C-4B7A-B26F-C016CA8242CC.thumb.jpeg.b72ffed91ebdd7046019d20d8ee4aed1.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Mack, followed by Black, have always been higher on the board, so not necessarily more important. I am in no way saying that Gipson isn't important or someone we would love to see Texas sign, just that the top 2 on the board haven't changed.

Thanks. That’s pretty much how I read things as far as priorities. Just didn’t know if we wanted to fill Gipson’s spot with another corner or if that spot would be allocated to a different position. Or if Gipson was insurance in case Mack doesn’t pan out. 

23 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

This epic July has… left me wanting.

Johnson-Rubbell, Hampton, Washington, January, Hills, Robinson, Livingstone are the July decisions I remember off the top of my head.

Any decisions that didn’t go our way this month outside of Blocton and maybe Gipson?

Different cycle and circumstances, but the only July commitments last cycle that signed were Muhammad and Sydir Mitchell.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Johnson-Rubbell, Hampton, Washington, January, Hills, Robinson, Livingstone are the July decisions I remember off the top of my head.

Any decisions that didn’t go our way this month outside of Blocton and maybe Gipson?

Different cycle and circumstances, but the only July commitments last cycle that signed were Muhammad and Sydir Mitchell.

Jayden Jackson, Miles Davis, OT from Georgia 

Edited by Codaxx

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Calhoun went the way of the bags of old. Georgia doesn’t have the long term jack. So they put $300k to the parents, right now, and the deal was done. Dude still has never responded to Texas. Just blocked Flood and company and never gave them a courtesy “oh by the way”. I hope that guy gets a knee bent in backwards and spends the rest of his life on his mom’s front porch. 

The Program is your favorite movie isn't?

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Calhoun went the way of the bags of old. Georgia doesn’t have the long term jack. So they put $300k to the parents, right now, and the deal was done. Dude still has never responded to Texas. Just blocked Flood and company and never gave them a courtesy “oh by the way”. I hope that guy gets a knee bent in backwards and spends the rest of his life on his mom’s front porch. 

300k for a dude uga is projecting at guard?  Jeez.  I thought our 50k a year with the pancake factory was going to make us an attractive spot for elite talent but if school are tossing out 300k to guys that aren’t at the level at Kelvin Banks, then that is insane.

I wonder how long this will all last.  It’s not like the guys funding these players are getting a ROI.  This isn’t the nfl and the bag game and NiL seem to be reaching crazy levels.  I understand a dude like Collin Simmons demanding big time money but not a dude that is a borderline tackle prospect.  

7 hours ago, Chili dog said:

Oh, of course. I should’ve been able to figure that one out…

The total destruction of English language has to be near completion. 

Cappin' is some pretty damn old slang. Like early 90s. Your old school Houston rappers like K-rino used to use it all the time. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If we get Black and Mack, the Gipson loss is managed. That would give us 3 CBs, 2 with higher upsides at the position than Gipson. Rubell could be nickel or safety. Lair is still out there if the coaching staff wants 5 DBs.

Yeah, I'm not worried about DB recruiting unless/until Texas misses on both those guys. Edge, IDL, and at least an upper four-star talent at OT are the necessities.

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Clemson is for pussies.  Dabo is an antichrist.  That’s my two cents.

Too bad Corian Gipson will miss out on this important verse during Bible study in Clemson:

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's
clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.       --Matthew 7:15

• Hook 'Em 5

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin on Gipson

247's infallible deity Steve Wiltfong has put in a prediction for Corian Gipson to commit to Clemson. Gipson doesn't announce until tomorrow afternoon so this is early by Wiltfong standards.

Wiltfong's last minute prediction track record is notable and worth consideration -- I fully grant that -- but as of this writing, Gipson has not told Texas his intentions one way or the other and communication continues daily. If it's out there that Gipson has told Texas he's not going there that's flat wrong. About as wrong as saying Ohio State is in the top two.

I'm not changing my pick but the IT team will continue working this one throughout the day. I hope to have another update today or this evening.

I will have no problem taking the L before the decision if it comes to that. We always own our reporting.

Nothing like acting like a petty cunt right before you are proven wrong. Nahlin is already in midsession form. 

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

300k for a dude uga is projecting at guard?  Jeez.  I thought our 50k a year with the pancake factory was going to make us an attractive spot for elite talent but if school are tossing out 300k to guys that aren’t at the level at Kelvin Banks, then that is insane.

I wonder how long this will all last.  It’s not like the guys funding these players are getting a ROI.  This isn’t the nfl and the bag game and NiL seem to be reaching crazy levels.  I understand a dude like Collin Simmons demanding big time money but not a dude that is a borderline tackle prospect.  

The bag number was conceptual. All I know is it was enough to cause the rest, which included not picking up the phone or responding to texts after more than a year of talking and texting frequently. Maybe it was $150 or $100. It was enough to keep a Georgia boy home though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Georgia's Walton HS is roughly equivalent to Austin's Westlake. I have no idea about the Calhoun family's standard of living, but it's curious that the player would shut things down so abruptly (and rudely) over bag money. I tend to think he was pretty much going to UGA regardless, and the bag (containing who really knows how much) just made it easy to get it all over with.

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Georgia's Walton HS is roughly equivalent to Austin's Westlake. I have no idea about the Calhoun family's standard of living, but it's curious that the player would shut things down so abruptly (and rudely) over bag money. I tend to think he was pretty much going to UGA regardless, and the bag (containing who really knows how much) just made it easy to get it all over with.

Wealthy public high schools would never recruit in a family of lesser means, as we all know from squeaky clean TXHSFB.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wealthy public high schools would never recruit in a family of lesser means, as we all know from squeaky clean TXHSFB.

OK, I dug deeper. Definitely moved recently for football reasons. Other college athletes in the family, including his dad at Bama:

https://www.dawgnation.com/recruiting/uga_signing_day_2022/daniel-calhoun-georgia-football-recruiting-alabama-football-recruiting-texas-recruiting-tenneseee-football-recruiting/F55Z7K7GIZFCND5GFCXMFHUY7U/

• Like 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls