Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

52 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I always pegged you for an East Chambers.....or possibly Liberty kind of guy.

CTJ is far too urbane for that, pretty sure he’s Pasadena/Deer Park.  

Liberty, for the record, did very well in the lady department, as did Barbers Hill, so not all of the little southeast Texas shit towns were deserts.  

Edited by LCHorn

4 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’ll just say the discussion doesn’t belong here, because that’s all that needs to be said.

No more talk of Texas towns!

Let’s get back to recruiting!

…and Westlake WR Jaden Greathouse having 2 TD receptions in his Notre Dame debut over in Dublin.

• Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

No more talk of Texas towns!

Let’s get back to recruiting!

…and Westlake WR Jaden Greathouse having 2 TD receptions in his Notre Dame debut over in Dublin.

He has nothing to do with the 2024 class.  He’s a domer now so I automatically root for his team to lose.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Just finished watching ESPN 150 College Football Recruiting from 2019. When describing the recruiting of 2019 as today's recruiting it just feels so antiquated.

You decided your day wasn’t bad enough, but would also curse it with the overall memories of the 2019 recruiting class?

• Haha 3

On 8/26/2023 at 5:51 PM, LCHorn said:

I'd far prefer to see travel pics to another goddamn cheese pun. 

Here, I'll help get back on topic.  Justin Wells, whatever you think of him, let slip during a video with Gerry and Sam Spiegelman today that McKinley will commit to Texas.  I don't know if it was inadvertent but neither Gerry nor Spiegelman corrected him. 

Another thing that was touched on that feels intuitively true but I hadn't heard someone speak out-loud yet is that NIL is changing the merits of getting a Malik or an Arch to act as a in class ringleader or create some momentum. 

Finally, they didn't say this (in fact, they said the opposite), but I keep wondering why supposed A&M partisan Terry Bussey hasn't committed and keeps visiting schools he's already seen before.  I don't think he's coming here (they indicated he's small town guy and that Austin's probably too big for him, plus what CTJ and others have said about where he sits in priority for UT) but maybe LSU or Bama. 

I read Sam spiegelman A’s spaghetti which hits home because I’m eating some rigatoni right now with vodka sauce and Italian crumble sausage

IT update on McKinley, Wingo and Mack

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana 

It’s decision week for the On3 Industry Ranking five-star from Da Boot. The 6-foot-5, 280-pounder was punishing people on Thursday night, and now he’s getting ready for his announcement. 

Texas and Bo Davis have been great here, especially after the official visit in June. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and LSU are all in the mix. 

The mom emphasizes academics, and after multiple visits to Austin, seems like a fit on the Forty Acres. 

The Texas staff had phone conversations with McKinley and family over the weekend. There is no reason to think Texas is not right in this one four days out. 

The feeling is that Texas and Texas A&M is where the decision is expected to come from with Ohio State being too far at the end of the day. But Larry Johnson and the Buckeyes believe they have a shot. Todd Bates has had Oklahoma in the mix for months. LSU will play the long game, if McKinley picks Texas or Texas A&M Friday. 

As for how the commitment will happen, there hasn’t been a set time as of yet. This has gone from a quiet social media announcement to a table with hats and announcement for local media. On’3 Sam Spiegelman will be at Acadiana High Friday for the announcement. 

Wardell Mack, CB, Marerro (La.) John Ehret 

The 6-foot-0.5, 170-pound On3 four-star is scheduled to be in Austin this weekend. He’ll also hit Florida State for the Miami game, and expected to be at an LSU and Florida game this season as well. 

Texas isn’t letting up on the New Orleans native, after he committed to Florida earlier this month. Mack and family have maintained communication with Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian since committing to Florida. There is still one family member that likes the idea of Texas. LSU’s Frank Wilson doesn’t walk away from talented recruits in New Orleans. The Tigers will hang around the rim until December. 

Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (Mo.) Saint Louis University 

Texas and the On3 Industry Ranking five-star continue to connect on multiple occasions per week. Steve Sarksian and Chris Jackson have prioritized the budding playmaker and are ready to see him on September 16th for the Texas-Wyoming game. He’s also set to see Tennessee at the end of the month. 

With Micah Hudson continuing to trend to Texas Tech, Wingo remains one of the top prospects on the wide receiver big board. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

I gotta be honest, when Simmons committed on 8/10 I was certain that there would be another commit before 9/1.  Kind of surprised (not concerned) that we haven't gotten anyone in between Simmons and McKinley.

I think everyone has been busy with their current teams they play for with the season starting.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems unlikely. 4 of our top 6 or 7 DBs are likely gone after this year and we haven’t taken huge numbers at CB or S in the last two classes. 

Watts is out of eligibility; Holmes doesn't have NFL size and is at best in a job share arrangement with Brooks (in other words, it'll limit his scouting film).  They aren't really recruiting nickels to play CB for the most part (there's obviously some crossover but they seem to prefer safety/CB tweeners at nickel). 

So really it's only Watts that's the obvious loss.  Basically he'll need to beat out Brice who'll have a 2 year head start. 

I would agree with you that particular challenge, explained in that manner, likely isn't cause for an announcement delay.  I do wonder if it's more like "Brooks and Muhammad are going to get the majority of snaps the next couple of years, hmmmm..."  Anyway, I don't have any special insight, just speculating. 

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seems unlikely. 4 of our top 6 or 7 DBs are likely gone after this year and we haven’t taken huge numbers at CB or S in the last two classes. 

Yea, we lose a ton in the back field after this year. I’d be shocked if Brooks and Muhammad aren’t the starters and damn good but I’d be equally shocked if Kobe wasn’t the 3rd or 4th corner and rotated in a bunch. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Black is going to see MM play a ton of snaps this year, and see that Brooks might be gone the year after he's a true freshman. We'll be fine. 

5 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Yea, we lose a ton in the back field after this year. I’d be shocked if Brooks and Muhammad aren’t the starters and damn good but I’d be equally shocked if Kobe wasn’t the 3rd or 4th corner and rotated in a bunch. 

29 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I wonder if Black has some concerns about the CB depth chart.  It'll be a surprise if he's on the four deep as a freshman. 

here is the roster info:

image.png.84f6691445ef2cec6f7eb3b1a4b697cb.png

there is a ton of guys who are likely to leave after this year if they have a good year (Barron, Watts, Catalon, Holmes), who haven't been able to do much (Brice, Allen and Hyphen) and who are good but maybe not as good as the other guys on the team (Jordan?) and then true freshmen. Not sure where Thompson falls on that w/r/t NFL projections. Crawford seems like a guy who could leave at any time.

there is a good chance Texas goes into next year with Guilbeau, Jordan, Brooks, MM and Robertson as the only CBs + whatever EE are out there and wherever McDonald ends up (Safety vs Star)

On Dominick McKinley, from a couple of LSU 247 mods. 

First, the tl;dr comments.

Sonny Shipp

"I ended last week feeling LSU had ground to make up on 5-star DL Dominick McKinley ahead of Friday’s commitment announcement and I start the week in that same spot."

"... the most buzz is still on Texas followed by Ohio State then LSU and Texas A&M. Gauging the pulse of each side from multiple angles, the Texas side continues to be the most confident."

"For me, I’m treading water on Monday morning with still too many signs pointing to Austin and/or Columbus."

Glen West

"Appears that Texas/Ohio State have more momentum but don't count out A&M either."

FULL NOTE PLUS COMMENTS

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.03058075b5655f4461d9a0ad2cef0a16.png

image.thumb.png.4893cc55bc5fc889d5b0f49303d54716.png

image.thumb.png.1def367e6518702be10be821af62876e.png

image.thumb.png.2e562ad3ec2ae330575b21dee8d57171.png

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shit is so wierd. Is anyone even on the aTm websites that are bursting with confidence over McKinley? Because it doesn't feel like weve seen those screenshots here at all, if they exist. So it's odd to see reference to an LSU site saying they think it's aTm. 

Only thing I could think of given that Spiegelman has said he knew since his OV's where he wants to go and that we got word that it's us a while back. So maybe they're creating some faux hype thing to make it look like a big win over LSU/A&M but I'd highly doubt that scenario. 

Steve Wiltfong (247) just said when you add up all the intel on Dominick McKinley, as of now most signs point to Texas.

He did talk about Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M being in it.

Edit:  He prefaced this by talking about how Texas is trying to make a run at 4 5-stars - McKinley, Black, Baker and Wingo.

Edited by Getafix

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

driving distance?? can't they fly SWA directly into Austin?

If Gerry said that, he has to mean that "it helps A&M (at the expense of tOSU and OU, not relative to Texas)".

The difference between Lafayette - CS and Lafayette - Austin is only an hour.

Edited by tokamak

26 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong (247) just said when you add up all the intel on Dominick McKinley, as of now most signs point to Texas.

He did talk about Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M being in it.

Edit:  He prefaced this by talking about how Texas is trying to make a run at 4 5-stars - McKinley, Black, Baker and Wingo.

David Bowen must be too busy with his new wife to pump Wiltfong these days. Steve's been a lot more positive with us of late. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls