Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Your children might grow up to be the first ever roster of college athletes that have early onset diabetes. I'm comfortable with my decision here. 

Also, cereal and a 6 year old is messy, and I don't have to clean that shit up. Feels like a win/win here. 

Have you ever heard of the Menendez brothers. Wait till they found out what you’ve been keeping from them.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Then why would they be involved in the usual “farewell” ceremony?

Sigh. As another poster pointed out, two guys went through the ceremony last year who are contributors on this year's team. What Drebin is intimating so that some of those guys will get NIL money-whipped to return to the roster. 

Some guys probably intend to leave at this point, and other guys might not be sure but will go through it in case they do decide to leave. But things change between now and the NFL draft. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sigh. As another poster pointed out, two guys went through the ceremony last year who are contributors on this year's team. What Drebin is intimating so that some of those guys will get NIL money-whipped to return to the roster. 

Some guys probably intend to leave at this point, and other guys might not be sure but will go through it in case they do decide to leave. But things change between now and the NFL draft. 

Sigh. Im really sorry I missed that between the lucky charms, cheerios, grape nuts, and post cereal posts. 

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Trill Carter is the head-scratcher for me. And Majors I suppose. Guys that walk can of course come back but I don't think anyone walks with the intention of playing another year. 

At this point with the portal and NIL, it's just prudent for anyone who is graduating with eligibility remaining to walk, so they get the ceremony and memories in, and then take a look at what options present themselves.

The portal this cycle is going to be really interesting because NIL is getting somewhat exhausted by all schools. You're effectively in year 3 of it. You've got recruiting classes now and prior coming in expecting to see something if they're worth a shit. Then you have roster performers and roster promise. Then the random graduate or two that you'd also like to retain.

So how much is left and who is worth it in terms of bringing them in as a transfer? We're trending towards the notion that most guys hitting the portal are one of the three U's of recruiting concern: Unhappy, Unwanted, or Unexperienced, or all three together. Maybe there are good reasons for a guy getting, like his coach sucks or he's got an NFL guy in front of him, but there is a higher degree of risk on the portal guys this cycle than when it was more a novelty.

A massive factor in portal NIL and retention NIL in this cycle for Texas is going to be the level of corporate NIL resources that can be tapped into. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I know they’re not draft analysts - but Gerry/Bobby (IT) have both been down on Sanders draft prospects. 

Bobby thinks his blocking issues are going to drop him and Gerry thinks blocking and short arms are going to give NFL teams pause.  Neither are saying he comes back - but they both think his draft grade is going to be lower than he’s hoping and that a year back could improve his stock. 

Those are reasons for him to not go in the first round. He'll probably be the 2nd TE taken, and it'll probably be somewhere in the 2nd round. That should be more than enough for him to leave. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Trill Carter is the head-scratcher for me. And Majors I suppose. Guys that walk can of course come back but I don't think anyone walks with the intention of playing another year. 

It’s entirely possible (maybe probable with how this season has gone) that hard conversations have not taken place yet for guys who have decisions to make. I remember in 2021 when Keondre Coburn said he wasn’t even aware he was on the list to walk on senior day til the list came out.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s entirely possible (maybe probable with how this season has gone) that hard conversations have not taken place yet for guys who have decisions to make. I remember in 2021 when Keondre Coburn said he wasn’t even aware he was on the list to walk on senior day til the list came out.

Under Sark there have been multipe players each year that were listed on it but came back anyway. I think it's what CTJ said above about everyone having their chance to walk, walk.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d love to see trill Carter return, bust his ass, and line up next to someone that isn’t Vernon Broughton. 

Broughton has been effective this year. Him and Sweat both took huge steps forward.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NoName said:

recruiting relevant info:

image.thumb.png.d2834faf180758c712b0372f162fdfc5.png

notes off the top of my head:

• Carter had 2 to play 2 and was a grad transfer.
  • Neyor leaving means Texas rolls into next year likely with only Cain, Cook, Niblett, Moore and incoming freshmen. absolutely will see transfer portal used here
  • Jake Majors 🫥
  • only guys with no more eligibility are K Robinson, Christian Jones, T'Vondre Sweat, Jett Bush, Ryan Sanborn
  • losing a shitload of talent in the secondary - both of the 2 deep at FS, starter at boundary safety (Bugg), STAR (Barron), Boundary CB (Watts)

as a reminder last year Christian Jones and Jordan Whittington went through Senior day.

defensive 2 roster without guys leaving looks drastically different:

image.thumb.png.2563ed2f84e1a477697e911e661a9d60.png

Feels like Trill is negotiating. 

With Ewers coming back, Majors returning becomes less important. I think he still has a lot of value, but I’ll wish him well if he leaves. 

I believe IT said Neyor will return. Could also be negotiating. 

Really cool moment for Mpagi. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, DeadSalamander said:

I don't get this comment. It sounds like a shot at Broughton, but I (for 1 I guess), have been very pleased with his development this year. Huge improvement.

I agree. We've consistently had DTs improve year over year. Sweat had questions about his motor and weight as recently as last year and now he's on On3's heisman list.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Feels like Trill is negotiating. 

With Ewers coming back, Majors returning becomes less important. I think he still has a lot of value, but I’ll wish him well if he leaves. 

I believe IT said Neyor will return. Could also be negotiating. 

Really cool moment for Mpagi. 

I can't imagine Neyor leaving. It makes zero sense.

4 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I can't imagine Neyor leaving. It makes zero sense.

If Neyor isn’t healthy, or if he’s not the same athletically as he was before the injury, I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches aren’t fighting to keep him around. 

But yeah, if the coaches sell him on being a real part of our plans next season I can’t imagine he’d leave. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeadSalamander said:

I don't get this comment. It sounds like a shot at Broughton, but I (for 1 I guess), have been very pleased with his development this year. Huge improvement.

I have loved the strides he’s made since 2021. There wasn’t a ton of people, myself included, that could have predicted what he’s done so far. With that said, I think he seems better when out there with Sweat/Murphy. He can still struggle in holding up in the run game against a decent Oline. Right now he’s at his best on passing downs. I’m not sure how well we would hold up next year with him and Trill being the main guys, especially if Collins decides to leave. The thing is tho, Broughton has gotten better each year so who’s to say he can’t take that next step in the run game in ‘24. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If Neyor isn’t healthy, or if he’s not the same athletically as he was before the injury, I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches aren’t fighting to keep him around. 

But yeah, if the coaches sell him on being a real part of our plans next season I can’t imagine he’d leave. 

Damn, the double negative really challenged my reading comprehension abilities.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Broughton likely comes back I imagine.  He’s played well this year and he gets another year with Bo and another year to get stronger.  Either way, I expect Jaray Bledsoe to be a starter next year and we’ll likely see Tapp, Burke, Sorrell get another year of strength and conditioning and development.  If Mitchell can take another step, this D-Line will be very good next year with Collin Simmons joining in as Edge.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Broughton likely comes back I imagine.  He’s played well this year and he gets another year with Bo and another year to get stronger.  Either way, I expect Jaray Bledsoe to be a starter next year and we’ll likely see Tapp, Burke, Sorrell get another year of strength and conditioning and development.  If Mitchell can take another step, this D-Line will be very good next year with Collin Simmons joining in as Edge.  
Don't forget Vasek was rated higher than Burke. I'm ready to see him prove it , but so far we can't seem to mudhole any team enough to allow younger guys some snaps.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3