Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

The Sweat and Broughton discussions are nice to see. There were a lot of people a couple years ago (myself included) that didn't think these guys were good enough. 

I think this brings up an important point about coaching changes. Sometimes it's better to let guys develop and take your lumps than go after instant-impact guys in the portal that don't really move the needle much. 

9 hours ago, DeadSalamander said:

I don't get this comment. It sounds like a shot at Broughton, but I (for 1 I guess), have been very pleased with his development this year. Huge improvement.

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Broughton has been effective this year. Him and Sweat both took huge steps forward.

It’s certainly not a compliment to Broughton, and while yes, I agree he’s been effective and much improved this year, I don’t seem him taking another step to be as effective as sweat and Murphy. I also see him as being effective…because he’s often playing next to sweat or Murphy. If Broughton is playing 40 snaps next year and is the #1 returning DT on the team I think we’re in trouble. 

Comparing the step Broughton has made to sweat and Murphy is absurd. One guy became mostly competent, the others became downright dominant. 

for the record I thought sweat and Murphy could both be awesome this year, just not this awesome. Our best bet for something similar is Alfred Collins sticking around. It doesn’t mean Broughton doesn’t do something insane developmentally, but I just don’t see it. Cheering to be wrong though.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Levi said:

I have loved the strides he’s made since 2021. There wasn’t a ton of people, myself included, that could have predicted what he’s done so far. With that said, I think he seems better when out there with Sweat/Murphy. He can still struggle in holding up in the run game against a decent Oline. Right now he’s at his best on passing downs. I’m not sure how well we would hold up next year with him and Trill being the main guys, especially if Collins decides to leave. The thing is tho, Broughton has gotten better each year so who’s to say he can’t take that next step in the run game in ‘24. 

He is going to have to work harder on leg day.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s certainly not a compliment to Broughton, and while yes, I agree he’s been effective and much improved this year, I don’t seem him taking another step to be as effective as sweat and Murphy. I also see him as being effective…because he’s often playing next to sweat or Murphy. If Broughton is playing 40 snaps next year and is the #1 returning DT on the team I think we’re in trouble. 

Comparing the step Broughton has made to sweat and Murphy is absurd. One guy became mostly competent, the others became downright dominant. 

for the record I thought sweat and Murphy could both be awesome this year, just not this awesome. Our best bet for something similar is Alfred Collins sticking around. It doesn’t mean Broughton doesn’t do something insane developmentally, but I just don’t see it. Cheering to be wrong though.

Broughton has come on a lot this year. I agree that I don't think he can do much to fill the shoes of the guys in front of him but he's a good rotational player for us this year and going into the SEC next year we will need as much depth on the DL as possible. 

Feels like Trill is negotiating. 

With Ewers coming back, Majors returning becomes less important. I think he still has a lot of value, but I’ll wish him well if he leaves. 

I believe IT said Neyor will return. Could also be negotiating. 

Really cool moment for Mpagi. 
Gerry has said a few times that Neyor is gone. Now I haven't heard that in the past month. After the issues where they asked him to go into a game (don't remember which one) and he said no, he's been in the doghouse ever since it seems.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

With Ewers coming back, Majors returning becomes less important. I think he still has a lot of value, but I’ll wish him well if he leaves. 

Gerry has said a few times that Neyor is gone. Now I haven't heard that in the past month. After the issues where they asked him to go into a game (don't remember which one) and he said no, he's been in the doghouse ever since it seems.

That tone has shifted. Bobby has now said repeatedly that Neyor is going the redshirt route and he's heard that it's more likely Neyor is back than gone.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

image.gif.3a1f9ba491afa18e271bedfd46236ec8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I wouldnt get to excited about this list. It will change by Friday. 

9 hours ago, ousux said:
10 hours ago, victory88 said:
Broughton likely comes back I imagine.  He’s played well this year and he gets another year with Bo and another year to get stronger.  Either way, I expect Jaray Bledsoe to be a starter next year and we’ll likely see Tapp, Burke, Sorrell get another year of strength and conditioning and development.  If Mitchell can take another step, this D-Line will be very good next year with Collin Simmons joining in as Edge.  

Don't forget Vasek was rated higher than Burke. I'm ready to see him prove it , but so far we can't seem to mudhole any team enough to allow younger guys some snaps.

This has been my concern for years, dude.

Even when Mack was mudholing opponents, he'd leave in the starting QB way too long. I'm sure he and GDGD were slaves to the idea of getting as many reps as possible. By the time QB2 got in, it was just hand-off time which also irritated me. 

I'm old school enough to not want to run up the score, but if your second teamer needs reps and you wait too long to put him in, run the fucking offense.

Oh, and kick the fucking field goal particularly when you already lead.

Lastly, don't go for two until the fourth quarter and playing from behind. Points is good, coach. Points is good.

Fucking dumbasses.

spacer.png

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I remember CTJ making fun of his physique, just a few months, when he showed up for fall camp. 

I was making fun of it as much as criticizing that he was still seriously overweight and he was going to have limited snaps because of it. I don’t see how those aren’t obviously true. That doesn’t take away from his performance other than we’d all like to see more of it. 

I’m interested to see the analogs for Sweat as we head towards the draft. There are more interested and brighter guys than me on here, so this might be way off, but I’ve been assuming Terrance Cody could come up. That would be both good and bad for Sweat. 

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It was pretty clear this was their strategy in general when they ranked Devin Brown as the number 1 recruit in the country a couple of years ago after he committed to Ohio State.  That was a huge outlier where the thought process pretty blatantly was just, “This guy will most likely start at Ohio State at some point, and all of their QBs put up numbers and get drafted highly.”  

I like Gerry and Bobby, but between things like that, the fabricated voodoo economics NIL “valuations” they put on recruits as a differentiating point for the site, etc., I kind of get the feeling the broader On3 network is taking the already sketchy $9.95 business further in the wrong direction.

I’ve asked on the NIL stuff to folks who would know and apparently Gerry is pure national scouting and Texas content, not involved with rankings or NIL assumptions. On the rankings end, I think he wants a lot of distance from what they’re doing. Not sure about Bobby on the NIL tool but he has no say in rankings either. 

To the rankings issue, does anyone know who On3 is saying handles those? Or is it a secret?

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I wouldnt get to excited about this list. It will change by Friday. 

This.  Also just because someone participates in their Senior Day doesn't mean they can't or won't come back.

Will Reichard for Alabama (soon to be college football's all-time leading scorer) participated in last year's Senior Day and then announced his return after the Sugar Bowl.  Schools are giving players who hold the designation of senior the chance to be honored in case they opt not to come back for one more season if they have it.  Wisconsin's Chimere Dike also said he wanted to participate in this year's Senior Day because he doesn't want to miss out on having one if he said he was returning and then something changed his mind (NFL draft grade) . 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I was making fun of it as much as criticizing that he was still seriously overweight and he was going to have limited snaps because of it. I don’t see how those aren’t obviously true. That doesn’t take away from his performance other than we’d all like to see more of it. 

I’m interested to see the analogs for Sweat as we head towards the draft. There are more interested and brighter guys than me on here, so this might be way off, but I’ve been assuming Terrance Cody could come up. That would be both good and bad for Sweat. 

I’ve asked on the NIL stuff to folks who would know and apparently Gerry is pure national scouting and Texas content, not involved with rankings or NIL assumptions. On the rankings end, I think he wants a lot of distance from what they’re doing. Not sure about Bobby on the NIL tool but he has no say in rankings either. 

To the rankings issue, does anyone know who On3 is saying handles those? Or is it a secret?

This would be my comp for Sweat

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Sweat is more athletic and much better against the pass.

Brown could move a bit earlier in his career. He had 168 tackles, 30 TFLs, and 7.5 sacks at Kansas. Sweat has 5 sacks in  5 years at Texas with 17 tfls.. He is great, but he is not going to be a pass rush guy. He is going to anchor a defense vs the run and a push the pocket in the pass game. 

Edited by Codaxx

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Charles Power and Cody Bellaire are the two primary rankings guys. Bellaire was in the scouting department at Texas Tech for a brief time before joining On3 if we want to believe in conspiracies.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

not that Sweat isn't really good but he doesn't play the same game as those two dudes nor is he anywhere close to as good as either of those guys were in college. AND THAT'S OK.

Thank you, I was about to rebut and you got there first.  Let’s leave the irrational exuberance to Aggie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

no offense but that's a terrible comparison

in his sr year at Nebraska Suh had 52 solo tackles, 33 assists, 20.5 TFL, 12.0 sacks

in his career Sweat has 45 solo tackles, 73 assists, 17 TFL, 5.0 sacks. his sr year so far is 16 solo, 20 assists, 7.5 TFL, 2.0 sacks

the other name folks love throwing around is Aaron Donald, whose Sr year at Pitt was 43 solo, 16 assists, 28.5 TFL, 11.0 sacks.

he isn't as good as either of those guys, in part because those are 2 of the best DL in CFB history.

Brugler didn't have him on his midseason top 50 fwiw.

not that Sweat isn't really good but he doesn't play the same game as those two dudes nor is he anywhere close to as good as either of those guys were in college. AND THAT'S OK.

He is more like Vita Vea, if we use someone from PK's coaching career. I think Vita is a bit more twitchy

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Brown could move a bit earlier in his career. He had 168 tackles, 30 TFLs, and 7.5 sacks at Kansas. Sweat has 5 sacks in  5 years at Texas with 17 tfls.. He is great, but he is not going to be a pass rush guy. He is going to anchor a defense vs the run and a push the pocket in the pass game. 

Never mind that the offensive environment is completely different between when Brown played against triple option teams and Sweat playing against spread teams.

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

He is more like Vita Vea, if we use someone from PK's coaching career. I think Vita is a bit more twitchy

Vea is a good comp - I think Haloti Ngata is another one.  Both were early first round picks - I don’t expect Sweat to go that high - but I’ll be interested to see if he tests out on par with those two.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Vea is a good comp - I think Haloti Ngata is another one.  Both were early first round picks - I don’t expect Sweat to go that high - but I’ll be interested to see if he tests out on par with those two.

That is another good one. These are all really good players. If Sweat can clog the middle in the run game and push the pocket in the pass rush in the NFL (maybe getting a couple sacks a year), he is looking at a 10 year career. 

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What about a certain 6’1” 325 big boy that anchored the Horns in one of Mack’s early teams?

that is just not fair. Hampton led Texas is tackles 2 years in a row. He had 101 tackles as a junior. That will never be done again by a DT

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Back when holding wasn’t allowed.  I meant more for pro projections though.  Nobody could move him for a decade.

I just wanted to get his 101 tackles in. That is probably the most insane stat from a Longhorn

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Back when holding wasn’t allowed.  I meant more for pro projections though.  Nobody could move him for a decade.

lolwut

There are plenty of pictures of Hampton being held with impunity. Of the entire Oklahoma OL holding our entire DL. Hampton's career was when Stoops figured out you can hold Texas and never get called for it. 

Hampton was one of the greatest college football players of all time. Comparing an interior college DL to him is as inherently silly as comparing a QB to VY.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 7