Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per Gerry (IT) on Solomon Williams:

PK made an in-home visit with Williams Monday.

PK is scheduled to be back in Tampa next Monday, possibly with Steve Sarkisian.

Saban will make an in-home next Tuesday.

IT still unsure on how hard Texas plans to push for this commitment.

His recent Twitter activity is still quite Tide-y - with some pro forma nods at Oregon and UT.

55 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Two trips in a week, one with the HC,  isn't "pushing"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

They're only trying to visit the guy 3 times in a little over a week. I'm unsure how hard they're pushing for his commitment.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Florida State with a nice class. It seems like Norvell is going to be a player for the foreseeable future. 

Yea, I think there may be a bump in the program as result of getting slighted this year as well.  It will interesting to see what they become in the next several years.

2 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Yea, I think there may be a bump in the program as result of getting slighted this year as well.  It will interesting to see what they become in the next several years.

Whatever they become will hinge upon Norvell's ability to find a QB that can play Div 1 football. The guys he has now, ain't it. He will need to secure a Cam Ward type to keep this train rolling. Let's not forget that they lose their QB, top 2 WR, RB, and 1/2 their defense including Verse. Several of those guys will be day one selections in the draft, and you don't just plug and play replace that type talent.

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

image.png.003ac1ede48f430ba7d06e8707c95a3f.png

on3 decided not to be a fan

FIFY.

For those who haven't followed some of the latest shit from this Charles Power guy at On3, it's pretty unbelievable.

37 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

They're only trying to visit the guy 3 times in a little over a week. I'm unsure how hard they're pushing for his commitment.

Gerry isn't saying what he's saying without merit. Is this everyone's cycle to follow recruiting? Texas hasn't made a push for the guy. They're trying to figure out if they want to do that and if they can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Filsaime is at #32 (Twitter embed cuts the bottom of the image off)

Looking at some highlights between Ryan Wingo and Jeremiah Smith, you don't really see a ton of separation between the two. Smith might have a slight edge on top end speed, but Wingo is thicker and harder to tackle. 

9 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Whatever they become will hinge upon Norvell's ability to find a QB that can play Div 1 football. The guys he has now, ain't it. He will need to secure a Cam Ward type to keep this train rolling. Let's not forget that they lose their QB, top 2 WR, RB, and 1/2 their defense including Verse. Several of those guys will be day one selections in the draft, and you don't just plug and play replace that type talent.

But luckily for them, Florida hasn't been good and Miami hasn't been good. FSU can capitalize on that.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

FIFY.

For those who haven't followed some of the latest shit from this Charles Power guy at On3, it's pretty unbelievable.

Gerry isn't saying what he's saying without merit. Is this everyone's cycle to follow recruiting? Texas hasn't made a push for the guy. They're trying to figure out if they want to do that and if they can. 

How fast is Black? He gives me a bit of a Terrance Brooks vibe in that he is a great cover corner but without elite speed. It seems like the staff prefers size over speed at CB which is why we have some issues on the deep ball. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

How fast is Black? He gives me a bit of a Terrance Brooks vibe in that he is a great cover corner but without elite speed. It seems like the staff prefers size over speed at CB which is why we have some issues on the deep ball. 

I think it has to do with something Rod Babers said.....there are corners who are better at playing receiver and some who are better at playing the ball. He says Muhammed is a better corner at playing the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I've never heard his speed questioned. Someone else can speak up if they're a film geek. 

I think speed at S has been the biggest issue for our secondary. Williams is going to continue to develop into a cure for a lot of our ills, but they need more. Thompson and Taffe are slow. Catalon was slow. Crawford doesn't know what in the fuck he is doing. We need speed and some instincts back there and that hopefully unlocks more courage in terms letting the CBs walk up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've never heard his speed questioned. Someone else can speak up if they're a film geek. 

I think speed at S has been the biggest issue for our secondary. Williams is going to continue to develop into a cure for a lot of our ills, but they need more. Thompson and Taffe are slow. Catalon was slow. Crawford doesn't know what in the fuck he is doing. We need speed and some instincts back there and that hopefully unlocks more courage in terms letting the CBs walk up.

Is bj Allen still on campus? 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you say they're slow, I will take it with a grain of salt. Not everyone can run a 4.3 like you sir.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gilbert is a very good athlete at safety. Only issue is I think he's headed to LSU. 

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

If you say they're slow, I will take it with a grain of salt. Not everyone can run a 4.3 like you sir.

That's how he knows they are slow. He beat them in a parking lot 40, however he did finish 2nd to Brady Anderson. He is still king of the parking lot 40s.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll tell you what, we all love it when you're definitive, becuase that never goes completely fucking wrong. Like even in the last 24 hours.

You're glossing over a lot of players that texas wants to keep around that are currently on the roster. Did you decide to only count incoming freshman, POTENTIAL transfers, and guys who logged significant snaps this season?

Austin Jordan, Warren Roberson, and Jelani McDonald are all players the staff likes quite a fucking bit, and some of those guys are going to get time at safety. And I don't think Jerrin Thompson is going to get some high draft rank, so guess what, that guy might be back too. 

Correct I wasn't considering the RS's and isn't Jordan penciled in at NB? McDonald and Roberson will definitely be in the room as well. If Thompson returns that would be interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct I wasn't considering the RS's and isn't Jordan penciled in at NB? McDonald and Roberson will definitely be in the room as well. If Thompson returns that would be interesting.

Well, I don't know why Guilbeau would transfer, but he's been the backup nickel all year, and the staff likes him. So no, I'm not sure I'd pencil Jordan in there unless he just beats out Guilbeau or Gilbeau leaves. I am aware of the rumors Guilbeau might test the portal as anyone else, but that's hard for me to see as to why and where he'd end up that would be a better situation than the one in Austin. So I think Guilbeau is your starting NB. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jordan played NB all year, maybe they move him to safety, but the path to more playing time is being the backup to a guy that has been injured a lot (11 total games missed in 2 season).

he's been behind Barron in an -OR- situation with Guilbeau all year.

as you noted - Guilbeau must have been injured some, only played in 7 games. Jordan plays on ST so he's been in all 12 fwiw.

Edited by NoName

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

That kid ain’t getting into Florida now. I bet Napier wanted to punch him I the face. Kids be talking shit cause they know an adult can’t kick their ass. Napier has a countdown for when this kid turns 18. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

A brief note:

my buddy from Law School coached Wingo in STL for 4 years from 3-7th grade. Says he’s an absolutely great kid, hard worker, good family and everything you’d want in a player. 

Well thats not terrible news.