Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

A brief note:

my buddy from Law School coached Wingo in STL for 4 years from 3-7th grade. Says he’s an absolutely great kid, hard worker, good family and everything you’d want in a player. 

Well, good for your buddy. Where were all the 5 star recruits when I was doing community service to get into grad school?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I mean if we're not including Worthy on the technicality that he'd signed his paperwork at Michigan, I'd assume we'd include the time Hill spent uncommitted as not calling it a straight flip.

You're not considering the worst kept secret ever about him still being A&M silent all the way up through his flip.

Just now, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So someone should develop a grading system to account for net attrition, portal, recruiting. Why should we care more about landing filsame than landing makubun or whatever his name is? How much should we care about losing Catalon? We need an expanded roster change ranking system.

That exist already

On 7/10/2023 at 10:33 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

If Texas has the kind of season Sark thinks it is going to have, recruits will be banging down the door.

Allow myself to quote myself from five months ago.  It's happening.

Also, I don't know what this is, but I approve:

On 7/11/2023 at 7:37 AM, Bevo said:

The first Amish professional football player. - YouTube

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

…allow me to quote myself…

UNLESS…

”I will allow myself to quote myself.”

Mick Jagger doesn’t sing “Please allow me to introduce myself.” for nothing.

🤘

___-self pronouns are reflexive. The subject has to mirror the object.

I… myself.

You… yourself.

He/She/It… himself/herself/itself.

We… ourselves.

You… yourselves.

They… themselves.

————————-

The Longhorn podcasts use “myself” as a subjective pronoun all the time… but then again, almost none of those guys know what the hell a past participle is or when to use it.

Despite what aggies think, we are NOT “the Stanford/Cal of the east”.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

…allow me to quote myself…

UNLESS…

”I will allow myself to quote myself.”

Mick Jagger doesn’t sing “Please allow me to introduce myself.” for nothing.

🤘

___-self pronouns are reflexive. The subject has to mirror the object.

I… myself.

You… yourself.

He/She/It… himself/herself/itself.

We… ourselves.

You… yourselves.

They… themselves.

————————-

The Longhorn podcasts use “myself” as a subjective pronoun all the time… but then again, almost none of those guys know what the hell a past participle is or when to use it.

Despite what aggies think, we are NOT “the Stanford/Cal of the east”.

I cringe when I ask someone, “How are you?” and they respond, “Fine. And yourself?” It makes me want to punch a baby. 

• Haha 2

As painful as we may find it to encounter misused pronouns, imagine how little Surly nonsense we'd have time to post and read, were we to correct every grammatical and usage error in every post. Also, if [me] or [you] is considered understood, the "-self" pronouns could actually be correctly used intensives rather than incorrectly used reflexives.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I cringe when I ask someone, “How are you?” and they respond, “Fine. And yourself?” It makes me want to punch a baby. 

It is short for-

“How are you doing yourself?”

…so try not to punch a baby unless you’re sure you can get away with it.

🤜👶🏻

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think speed at S has been the biggest issue for our secondary. Williams is going to continue to develop into a cure for a lot of our ills, but they need more. Thompson and Taffe are slow. Catalon was slow. Crawford doesn't know what in the fuck he is doing. We need speed and some instincts back there and that hopefully unlocks more courage in terms letting the CBs walk up.

Yeah, a great safety can cover up a lot of mistakes, and makes the rest of the defense better.  Caleb Downs has really helped improve Bama's defense this year.

No doubt a lot of the Horns current pass defensive struggles are due to not having better instinctive safeties with speed and quickness.  A really good pass rushing DE would also significantly help. 

In addition to improving our safeties, not sure who will be filling the LB void that will be left when Jaylan Ford is gone.

so A&M bringing in Klein basically completely resets their offensive board, doesn't match up with the talent they have on campus and doesn't really have any built in advantages in that they were not recruiting the same dudes as KSU.

realllllllllllllly interested to see if they move on from their QBs, Anthony Maddox and Miles O'Neil. assume they are with Maddox saying he is going to visit.

their current class has no offensive skill players in the top 10 of their class and their highest ranked skill player in the composite is a TE ranked #410 who is the same overall score as the #63 player in Texas (Ernest Campbell)

offensive players in their class (non OL):

• TE Eric Karner from IL
  • WR Ernest Campbell WR from Refugio who is 5'8"
  • QB Maddox
  • QB O'Neill
  • WR Jaylan Hornsby from NJ
  • WR Debron Gatling from GA
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, a great safety can cover up a lot of mistakes, and makes the rest of the defense better.  Caleb Downs has really helped improve Bama's defense this year.

No doubt a lot of the Horns current pass defensive struggles are due to not having better instinctive safeties with speed and quickness.  A really good pass rushing DE would also significantly help. 

In addition to improving our safeties, not sure who will be filling the LB void that will be left when Jaylan Ford is gone.

A tandem of Williams Jr. & Filsaime should do wonders for the backend. Gotta keep stockpiling that type of talent