Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

8 hours ago, deech said:

So Saban waited until after the winter portal closed before announcing his retirement?

Yes, unlike some coaches, cough Mack Brown, some coaches don’t desire to burn the program down on their way out the door.  His timing for the program was about as good as it could have been, IMO.

39 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Yes, unlike some coaches, cough Mack Brown, some coaches don’t desire to burn the program down on their way out the door. 

To be fair,  he burned it down before he got to the door.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I remember add drops at the drum, walking around that concourse with a class book.  Had to walk to the arean floor to check out and pay up 

“This course was…not added. Please enter another course number.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I remember add drops at the drum, walking around that concourse with a class book.  Had to walk to the arean floor to check out and pay up 

While I certainly appreciate the sentiment, I was asking to determine the timeframe for enrolling a transfer for the spring semester.  We apparently have damn near the end of the month without bending any rules.  First day of class + 2 weeks gets us to the 30th.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Jebus said:

oh man, that fucking pause.

RIP Bill Livingston

There’s no telling how many hundreds of thousands of F-bombs were dropped in response to TEX.

I remember registering for the second semester my freshman year. When I called into TEX, I had all my classes planned out and I was stoked about it. I think I successfully managed to register for one class on the first call. TEX quickly reminded me I was a freshman and that we got last choice of everything. When I hung up, I recall thinking “What the hell am I going to study?! TEX, you bastard!”

It worked out in the end, but I took some shitty classes that semester. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Has Marcus Freeman now entered the Bama chat?  Just heard a rumor to that effect. Of course, it's nothing but a world of rumor these days. 

That would be strange. He's smart, charismatic, and well-liked, but his ND teams haven't actually been all that good.

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That would be strange. He's smart, charismatic, and well-liked, but his ND teams haven't actually been all that good.

I like you Tex, but I have to completely disagree.  They pound teams now that they're supposed to, culture takes time.  In year two, they put it to teams they should have, but did they have a slip against Louisville?  Definitely.  He's installing a a culture there much different than Kelly.....the Buckeye game showed that.   Give that guy another year or two and watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

There is a weird Surly recruiting board constant that every month or two there is a long digression about the process of signing up for classes in the 70s and 80s.

and 90’s. at a bank of phones at tables in the library foyer.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

There is a weird Surly recruiting board constant that every month or two there is a long digression about the process of signing up for classes in the 70s and 80s.

Yup. I had Tex for two or three years and 98 was my freshman year. So let’s not ignore the entirety of Gen X either, although that is typically what society does. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Just give yourself another 15-20 years. You’ll be telling your kids about how great SnapChat was, explaining to them the concept of cable TV before streaming, or how Austin still had a small city vibe when you were on campus but now at 5 million people you don’t recognize it anymore. It’s coming. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

24 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Just give yourself another 15-20 years. You’ll be telling your kids about how great SnapChat was, explaining to them the concept of cable TV before streaming, or how Austin still had a small city vibe when you were on campus but now at 5 million people you don’t recognize it anymore. It’s coming. 

Joke is on you, @texifornia was never on campus.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

I signed up in the 90s, you insensitive asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I am 30 and I just had to explain the Guitar Hero episode of South Park to a high schooler. 

• Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yup. I had Tex for two or three years and 98 was my freshman year. So let’s not ignore the entirety of Gen X either, although that is typically what society does. 

Yep, I graduated in '99 and used TEX every semester. My Goodbye and Good Luck cap was like a beacon for 45 and older fans at the Sugar Bowl while those under that age didn't give it a second look. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I signed up in the 90s, you insensitive asshole. 

I sort of assumed the vast majority of Surlyites were 90s students, who grew up on Tex, writing scurrilous things about professors on the tables, and then moving those missives onto internet message boards. Fuck, we're getting old. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I’m old, and did not have TEX in the early 80’s, so it apparently started sometime after that. (Just fueling Texifornia’s predicted class add digression.)

Wow. This isn’t complicated at all.

https://registrar.utexas.edu/archived/schedules/spring2001/fr-TEX.html

If it makes anyone feel better my goddaughter (no pics) is a Freshman at UT and the process still sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The first time you tried to register on Tex, you’d go in thinking you had your semester lined up perfectly. Then within 3 minutes that motherfucker would be hanging up on you after telling you that you didn’t get any of the classes you wanted and you’d be left holding the phone, frozen, wondering what in the fuck just happened.

You eventually learned to go into your calls with Tex with a fucking binder full of decision trees and emergency plans like you were in Mission Control. 

Always Sunny Fx GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hush your mouth whipper snapper or I'll box your ears!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

I sort of assumed the vast majority of Surlyites were 90s students, who grew up on Tex, writing scurrilous things about professors on the tables, and then moving those missives onto internet message boards. Fuck, we're getting old. 

I started in the fall of 1991. My initial registration was in the lobby of Jester West standing in line and filling out cards. I am not sure if that was because I was an incoming freshman or if that was the last semester everyone manually registered. The rest of my time on campus, we used TEX. I also had my student ID picture taken in some remote recess of Gregory Gym in late July or early August in the pre-A/C Gregory days. I never lost my ID, so I had the same picture with sweat glistening on my forehead all four years.  

I never even saw the internet during my time on campus. I did have a couple of roommates with University e-mail accounts my Junior year, though. Imagine: no texting and no e-mailing to communicate with 50,000 students. 

37 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

You eventually learned to go into your calls with Tex with a fucking binder full of decision trees and emergency plans like you were in Mission Control. 

Lesson learned. But Latin and Greek Word Etymology kicked ass in the spring of 1992!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I started in the fall of 1991. My initial registration was in the lobby of Jester West standing in line and filling out cards. I am not sure if that was because I was an incoming freshman or if that was the last semester everyone manually registered. The rest of my time on campus, we used TEX. I also had my student ID picture taken in some remote recess of Gregory Gym in late July or early August in the pre-A/C Gregory days. I never lost my ID, so I had the same picture with sweat glistening on my forehead all four years.  

I never even saw the internet during my time on campus. I did have a couple of roommates with University e-mail accounts my Junior year, though. Imagine: no texting and no e-mailing to communicate with 50,000 students. 

I started in the mid-90’s and had TEX all four years. I assume a lot of you guys weren’t in the business school or didn’t enjoy taking history courses, because I never had a problem with TEX. 

I lost my first ID my freshman year, late. The new photo showed hair tucked behind my ears and multiple ear rings with a chiseled, angry mug. I’ve never looked like that again in my life. I lost that ID in one of my moves years ago, which is a shame, really. It would be helpful to show my sons that I was once a wild man and to show my youngest daughter one of the types of scamps she needs to proactively avoid. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

I started in Fall 1999.  I think Tex was still in operation but I never used it.  That was one of the first (or maybe the first) semesters you could register online.  At freshman orientation they wanted you to go wait in line somewhere where they had stations with people to help you through the online registration process.  A buddy and I went to the PCL and registered on the computers there.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I started in the mid-90’s and had TEX all four years. I assume a lot of you guys weren’t in the business school or didn’t enjoy taking history courses, because I never had a problem with TEX.

It was mostly the lower division Calculus classes/Business Math classes and maybe a particular English/Lit class that I had a hard time adding. I wasn't in McCombs, but I had quite a few classes in CBA and UTC. Good times.

I started in Fall 1999.  I think Tex was still in operation but I never used it.  That was one of the first (or maybe the first) semesters you could register online.  At freshman orientation they wanted you to go wait in line somewhere where they had stations with people to help you through the online registration process.  A buddy and I went to the PCL and registered on the computers there.

Same age but used TEX almost the whole way through. The best interaction was always the $300 emergency student loan. Goodbye and good luck felt great heading to the boats in Shreveport.
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

years. I assume a lot of you guys weren’t in the business school or didn’t enjoy taking history courses, because I never had a problem with TEX. 

I thought about taking a business class as an elective, thinking the right class might be helpful as a general life skill. But every course I looked at said business majors only. Maybe that’s why things were smooth for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1