Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

29 minutes ago, MisterP said:

I will help you instead of having a surly retort

Thanks bro!  Having said that..... it's nice to not have to go over there for this extraordinary piece of information, isn't it?  I mean...i have never opened that thread.....and now i don't need to! 

23 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Now down to just three IDL takes in the last two classes.

23 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

Can't wait to get @satyanash take on this...after he rubs one out to relieve his excitement.

satya has nothing to do with it.  nobody from the portal yet either.  if you don't think this is extremely problematic in the coming seasons I don't know what to tell you.

23 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Good luck to him, I'm sure there will be sour grape but I understand why he'd change his mind.

Seems more a case of him finally making up his mind after aimlessly drifting our way. Whether he continues to drift aimlessly, just in another direction, remains to be seen. If the guy really wants to stay home, and his family wants that, so be it...but still seems odd that he didn't do it from the start. Maybe just impressionable. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Gerry/On3 says Ryan Williams' leaders are Auburn, then Texas/Bama.

He thinks Texas could pull this out but believes it will be Auburn as of today.

I have believed it to be Auburn for about a 2 to 3 weeks now and I have inside intel.

If we bring in Williams, nearly all of our WRs from the last two classes will have been recruited over.

Strange precedent.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I have believed it to be Auburn for about a 2 to 3 weeks now and I have inside intel.

If we bring in Williams, nearly all of our WRs from the last two classes will have been recruited over.

Strange precedent.

This may sound strange, but maybe we allow Williams go to Auburn to get squandered in year 1 with Freeze to make it easier for KJ Lacey to sell them on joining him with the Horns next January after Bond & Bolden et all declare for the NFL draft 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Fuck that, he "Robinson" had his chance.  

I don't know how Sark felt about Robinson when he asked out of his commitment, but I am absolutely certain that if he wanted to come back, Sark would be like:

460122b4-52df-4262-b8b9-35cbf5e7ac6b_text.gif.8ae25b27fe059687014c514b3d00c52f.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perfect timing for Robinson to commit to Florida.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-football-under-ncaa-investigation-due-to-jaden-rashada-recruiting-fiasco-per-report-004909555.html

The Jaden Rashada saga somehow got worse for Florida.

Florida football's recruiting of quarterback Jaden Rashada remains one of the biggest debacles of the sport's NIL era. It also now has the Gators in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

ESPN reported Friday that Florida is under NCAA investigation due to its recruitment of Rashada, which saw the teenager decommit from the program after an NIL collective allegedly reneged on an eight-figure agreement in exchange for his commitment.

A contract obtained by the Athletic showed that the Gator Collective had promised Rashada up to $13.8 million, with $500,000 up front and six-figure payments every month as long as he remained with the school. The deal, which would have paid Rashada more than most NFL rookies make, required the player to fulfill only some minor obligations, such as autograph signings and social media posts.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-football-under-ncaa-investigation-due-to-jaden-rashada-recruiting-fiasco-per-report-004909555.html

The Jaden Rashada saga somehow got worse for Florida.

Florida football's recruiting of quarterback Jaden Rashada remains one of the biggest debacles of the sport's NIL era. It also now has the Gators in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

ESPN reported Friday that Florida is under NCAA investigation due to its recruitment of Rashada, which saw the teenager decommit from the program after an NIL collective allegedly reneged on an eight-figure agreement in exchange for his commitment.

A contract obtained by the Athletic showed that the Gator Collective had promised Rashada up to $13.8 million, with $500,000 up front and six-figure payments every month as long as he remained with the school. The deal, which would have paid Rashada more than most NFL rookies make, required the player to fulfill only some minor obligations, such as autograph signings and social media posts.

Good god. 13M for a 4 star dude who passed for 400 yards this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Good god. 13M for a 4 star dude who passed for 400 yards this season. 

NCAA investigating Florida football regarding recruitment of Jaden Rashada in 2022: Sources

GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA - NOVEMBER 25: A general view of the Florida Gators logo before the start of a game between the Florida Gators and the Florida State Seminoles at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on November 25, 2023 in Gainesville, Florida. (Photo by James Gilbert/Getty Images)

The NCAA is investigating Florida’s football program regarding the 2022 recruitment of quarterback Jaden Rashada, a person who was interviewed, as well as a second person who was briefed on the investigation, confirmed to The Athletic.

The Tampa Bay Times reported Friday that the NCAA sent the school a notice of inquiry last summer, though the letter did not specify the subject of the investigation. The person interviewed, who was granted anonymity in order to discuss the matter, said he was asked about the transfer who committed to Florida that year as well.

Rashada, a four-star recruit from Northern California in the class of 2023, was the subject of a wild NIL bidding war in 2022 involving boosters at Florida and Miami. On Nov. 10, 2022, Rashada, who had previously committed to Miami, signed a deal with the now-defunct Gator Collective promising a staggering $13.85 million over four years, The Athletic reported last February. Rashada announced his commitment to Florida that night.

However, the collective reneged on the deal less than a month later. Rashada still signed with Florida during the December signing period but did not enroll in January and asked for a release from his letter of intent. He subsequently signed with Arizona State, where he started the Sun Devils’ season opener and played in three games last season.

“We have been and will continue to cooperate with the NCAA,” Florida senior associate athletic director Steve McClain said in a statement. “We hold ourselves to high standards of excellence and integrity on and off the field. Because we follow NCAA policies about maintaining confidentiality, we are unable to offer additional comments.”

According to the two sources with knowledge of the investigation, the NCAA has inquired about the role of Florida staff member Marcus Castro-Walker, who is listed on the school’s website as director of player engagement and NIL, and booster Hugh Hathcock, who pledged $12.6 million to Florida’s athletic department in April 2022 and later launched the Gator Guard collective. Multiple Hathcock tweets posted right before Rashada’s commitment, hinting at a great day coming for Florida, also alluded to possible involvement in the deal.

Florida could be the third school in its own state to face NCAA penalties over NIL or NIL-adjacent activity. Last February, Miami (Fla.) women’s basketball coach Katie Meier was charged with two Level II violations, which were mitigated through a negotiated resolution, and led to one year of probation and recruiting sanctions. The violations were regarding the facilitating of impermissible contact between booster John Ruiz and the Cavinder Twins, who joined the Miami team.

Earlier this month, the NCAA levied penalties against Florida State football, offensive coordinator Alex Atkins and a collective over impermissible contact between a transfer prospect and a booster, again through a negotiated resolution. Atkins drove then-Georgia offensive tackle Amarius Mims to meet with a representative from the Rising Spear collective in 2022 and later provided false or misleading info about it. Atkins was given a show-cause penalty, FSU was fined and received probation and scholarship reductions, and the school must disassociate itself from the collective for one year and the booster for three years.

As much as NIL has changed college sports, NCAA rules do not permit it to be used in recruiting. Recent rule changes now allow schools to connect athletes with boosters, but only enrolled players, not prospects.

https://theathletic.com/5215118/2024/01/19/ncaa-florida-investigation-recruiting-jaden-rashada/

NCAA rules don't allow NIL to be used in recruiting? What does that mean? Coaches can't discuss potential NIL payments with prospects?

What is the "within-the-rules" version of this? The coaching staff tells the NIL groups which players they want, the NIL groups talk to the parents or agent, and the parents/agent relay the NIL offer to the player simultaneously with the scholarship offer?

Some of this is baffling. Welcome to the NCAA, I suppose.

48 minutes ago, Spindletop said:

NCAA rules don't allow NIL to be used in recruiting? What does that mean? Coaches can't discuss potential NIL payments with prospects?

What is the "within-the-rules" version of this? The coaching staff tells the NIL groups which players they want, the NIL groups talk to the parents or agent, and the parents/agent relay the NIL offer to the player simultaneously with the scholarship offer?

The coaches can't say if you sign with us you will get x dollars. The coaches can say, this is what other players got and here is a list of NIL/collectives that you can get in contact with. Any semblance of coaches involved in pay for play is still outlawed by the NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spindletop said:

You new here?  NIL cannot be used to recruit players.  A player cannot receive NIL tied to a school until after they are enrolled in classes.  Promising a player so much money if they commit to your school is as illegal as dropping a bag....or whatever it is A&M is doing now...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The coaches can't say if you sign with us you will get x dollars. The coaches can say, this is what other players got and here is a list of NIL/collectives that you can get in contact with. Any semblance of coaches involved in pay for play is still outlawed by the NCAA.
I'd say most of the SEC (fans at least) truly don't understand this, and some probably never will. They seem to think the SCOTUS simply legalized the bag game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jesus Christ. I've been a drunk asshole numerous times in my life but I've never been so fucked up that I've decided to shove my bare foot into a fire pit. I admire his dedication to his persona but fucking hell.

"Second degree burns are temporary. The Tide is eternal."

-That Hillbilly Fuck, probably.

* IF he could formulate a sentence that wasn't repeated to him first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Jesus Christ. I've been a drunk asshole numerous times in my life but I've never been so fucked up that I've decided to shove my bare foot into a fire pit. I admire his dedication to his persona but fucking hell.

"Second degree burns are temporary. The Tide is eternal."

-That Hillbilly Fuck, probably.

* IF he could formulate a sentence that wasn't repeated to him first. 

It's not a persona. There is more going on than alcohol impairment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3