Trump Impeachment 2: Insurrection Boogaloo

Sawbonz

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Does anyone know who the 15 Senators are that didn't show up today? If Ted and John were among those 15, I'm done calling, Maybe I will try the Shawshank letter writing campaign. It won't do any good, but I will feel better about it.

Fucking bottles the mind how they could claim to be honoring their oath of impartiality while not even bothering to hear the entire case presented. Bunch of fucking evil, hollow hucksters

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Something to note, we had 56 Senators vote that the trial was constitutional. If 15 Senators don't show up for the vote on conviction, then we have 85 Senators. The 2/3rds needed for conviction: 56.6. That is quite the coincidence. . . or is it?

I was just thinking this

CNN is starting to post some sketches from the trial

210211154046-03-impeachment-trial-2021-s

(Sens. John Boozman, R-Ark., and John Cornyn, R-Texas, during day three of the Senate impeachment trial, February 11, 2021.)

210211154044-02-impeachment-trial-2021-s

(Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., during day three of the Senate impeachment trial, February 11, 2021.)

210211154042-01b-impeachment-trial-2021-

(Sen. Tex Cruz, R-Texas, in a room next to the Senate chamber during day three of the impeachment trial, February 11, 2021.)

210211154157-03b-impeachment-trial-2021-

(Empty desks in the Senate chamber during day three of the impeachment trial, February 11, 2021.)

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Say what you will about Jacob Rees-Mogg, but the tailoring on that suit is out-fucking-standing.

And I really appreciate his efforts to bring back the double-breasted suit.  It's a great look.

Dude, his shit sucks ass. If you want a good DB look at something like Douglas Cordeaux is wearing from Fox.

Douglas-feature-Image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know--I love that I know that I can always trust you to come in hot with an opinion on English tailoring.

It's my own personal bat signal. Pretty much even if you need directions or a restaurant recommendation or something, don't even bother tagging me, just type a post that says "11oz worsted Lesser's houndstooth" or "Henry Poole house cut" and I will be right there.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

what the fuck? cnn reported that republican senators, including lindsey graham, are meeting with the trump lawyers in a strategy session. 

no shame.

OK guys who do we have dirt on?

Now which ones do we threaten that Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Qanon Greene are going to their states for rallies?

OK, who's left that we need Trump to tweet, err Gab about to get their families kidnapped?

It’s not just frustrating that they met with the lawyers. It is that they did it out in the open knowing that it doesn’t matter for conviction or public opinion. And it’s even more frustrating that they would be livid if the Dems even thought about doing it. They are evil and they want to make sure we know it every chance they get. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

It’s not just frustrating that they met with the lawyers. It is that they did it out in the open knowing that it doesn’t matter for conviction or public opinion. And it’s even more frustrating that they would be livid if the Dems even thought about doing it. They are evil and they want to make sure we know it every chance they get. 

Can they be removed from the jury by a majority vote?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

beyond that, they weren't even there for stretches of time during the house manager's case. 

they. don't. give. a. single. fuck.

jesus, even when i go to an analyst day death by powerpoint event, i sit in my chair and pay attention to the speakers.

Just thinking out loud; is this their (Lee, Graham and Cruz) way to invalidate the entire proceedings, by meeting with defense counsel? Meaning, even though we know of what the vote should be, by doing this, they are just ending the proceedings and not allowing a vote?

Aside from getting the desired outcome, it would prevent any of the GOP from actually voting to acquit and it being used against them in the future.

Or am I just being stupid?

Anyone going to bother ever taking Raphael and Hawley to task for their bullshit or do they get a free pass because, reasons? Pisses me off to no end those two cunts keep talking shit and Dems don’t say a fucking thing except AOC’s tweety rant to Vulverine .

Not saying the impeachment trial is the place to do it but figured most people were checking this thread so posted it here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Trump's lawyers should just get up and say he's innocent, we rest our case.  Nothing going to change a single vote. Might as well get this charade over. 

100% this, keep it short and brief. they can only hurt their case at this point 

100%

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Trump's lawyers should just get up and say he's innocent, we rest our case.  Nothing going to change a single vote. Might as well get this charade over. 

I wish they would, but we will be subjected to completely insane and irrational bullshit for the next two days. I don’t really get why they like to put it on display, other than the rubbing it in our faces, like mrs whiggins said above. 

https://www.axios.com/trump-legal-defense-impeachment-79d898cd-a73c-4240-86c8-984824a7703e.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-impeachment

Donald Trump's legal defense will focus entirely on process, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: The attorneys representing the former president know it's fruitless to continue defending his actions preceding the Capitol attack. Instead, they'll say none of that matters because the trial itself is unconstitutional — an argument many Republican senators are ready to embrace.

The House impeachment managers homed in Thursday on how Trump repeatedly encouraged violence among his supporters and how it affected not just lawmakers but the largely minority support staff who care for and protect them in the Capitol.

What we're hearing: Trump's lawyers will focus on four key points about the impeachment: 

It’s unconstitutional. They'll say removal is the requirement for impeachment, and Democrats cannot satisfy that requirement for someone who's already out of office.

No due process. It was "impeachment by reflex," and the article of impeachment was hastily drafted before a thorough investigation took place.

Violates First Amendment. President Trump's speech at the pre-riot rally doesn't meet "the Brandenburg test" — referring to Brandenberg v. Ohio — stating that any violence advocated by a speaker must be intended, likely and imminent.

Won’t unify the country. The entire trial goes against President Biden's core campaign promise, and Democrats are further exacerbating the divisions in the country.

Spoiler

Beyond words: Similar to the prosecution, Trump's lawyers also plan to rely heavily on video, though theirs will be far less graphic and emotionally triggering.

They plan to show video of the certification process surrounding the 2016 election, when a handful of Democrats — including Rep. Jamie Raskin, the lead impeachment manager — objected to the Electoral College results making Trump president.

Of note: Then-Vice President Biden definitively told the Democratic objectors: "It is over."

The defense also will show video of Trump telling his supporters at the Jan. 6 "Stop the Steal" rally to "peacefully and patriotically" make their way to the Capitol — something they plan to reiterate throughout their presentation.

Alternate timeline: In addition, Trump's team will point to a series of facts showing the pre-riot rally had been planned, something House managers did for different reasons.

They'll explain how, three days earlier, the Pentagon asked Capitol Police if it needed help from the National Guard but they declined. They also offered FBI agents as the mob breached the Capitol yet the police ostensibly turned them down. 

They'll point to how pipe bombs were placed before the speech.

This evidence, the defense will say, shows Trump's words at the rally did not directly incite the attack.

What they're saying: "The one thing the House impeachment managers did add into the argument yesterday was that groups of people were preparing for weeks to assault the Capitol, which I think hurts their argument," Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) told reporters Thursday.

"Once again, the issue for most of us is are you asking us to do something that we simply don't have the capability of doing because the Constitution does not give us that tool with regard to a private citizen," Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) told reporters.

35 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

They could get up and say “yep you’re right, he’s guilty and should go to jail. Doesn’t matter because you’re not getting enough Senators to vote against him. Our job is done here.”

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.axios.com/trump-legal-defense-impeachment-79d898cd-a73c-4240-86c8-984824a7703e.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=politics-impeachment

Reveal hidden contents

Beyond words: Similar to the prosecution, Trump's lawyers also plan to rely heavily on video, though theirs will be far less graphic and emotionally triggering.

They plan to show video of the certification process surrounding the 2016 election, when a handful of Democrats — including Rep. Jamie Raskin, the lead impeachment manager — objected to the Electoral College results making Trump president.

Of note: Then-Vice President Biden definitively told the Democratic objectors: "It is over."

The defense also will show video of Trump telling his supporters at the Jan. 6 "Stop the Steal" rally to "peacefully and patriotically" make their way to the Capitol — something they plan to reiterate throughout their presentation.

Alternate timeline: In addition, Trump's team will point to a series of facts showing the pre-riot rally had been planned, something House managers did for different reasons.

They'll explain how, three days earlier, the Pentagon asked Capitol Police if it needed help from the National Guard but they declined. They also offered FBI agents as the mob breached the Capitol yet the police ostensibly turned them down. 

They'll point to how pipe bombs were placed before the speech.

This evidence, the defense will say, shows Trump's words at the rally did not directly incite the attack.

What they're saying: "The one thing the House impeachment managers did add into the argument yesterday was that groups of people were preparing for weeks to assault the Capitol, which I think hurts their argument," Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) told reporters Thursday.

"Once again, the issue for most of us is are you asking us to do something that we simply don't have the capability of doing because the Constitution does not give us that tool with regard to a private citizen," Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) told reporters.

Thanks for posting this; I had seen something along these lines after supper and that was pretty much what fishmouth Jim Jordan was repeating word for word. 

Greg Olear has an op-ed out that I haven’t read through yet but he must’ve had a sit down with some of the experts who study autocracy and extremism and they’re sounding a very grim future based on this wholesale sellout by the GOP. 

In short, rise of extremist violence because, like Trump, they see this as permission/success to further their cause and an acceptable means with which to do so. 

Power by any means necessary; rule by minority control. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is a serious question - how hard would it be to boot Cruz?  I mean for you bastards to vote that MF out.  Is it impossible?  I'm guessing if the last election was 60/40 there has to be a real chance to put him out on his ass.  Fucker makes my blood boil.  

Sorry pal. Too many dumbshits and people that don’t pay attention here. Texas out front shoulda told ya. 

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is a serious question - how hard would it be to boot Cruz?  I mean for you bastards to vote that MF out.  Is it impossible?  I'm guessing if the last election was 60/40 there has to be a real chance to put him out on his ass.  Fucker makes my blood boil.  

It’s not impossible, you just need a good candidate and a competent political organization. Which means it’s impossible because Texas Democratic Party has institutionalized failure and no bench. 

Loretta Lynch, Bill Clinton, and a tarmac say “Howdy!”.

I’ve made it through all of yesterday and about 2/3 of today with it running in the background. Seeing the last 4 years laid out like this over 2 days is just brutal and so plainly obvious. If this movement can be shut down and marginalized, maybe we have a chance, but as long as we’re hellbent on pretending it didn’t happen, it’s sure to get so much worse. And it’s so plain and obvious but nothing matters, which is also plain and obvious.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1