Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

On 11/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, HtownHorn said:

Show me where is wrong in this quote?

PK - coached a defense to the CFP

Davis - won championships at Alabama

Choate - took his team to the FCS playoffs

Joseph - coordinated the secondary for a team that made the CFP

Gideon - has a young coaching career, but played for a championship at Texas.

Uh, where did I say it was wrong? I said I think it’s a hint PK will be back. 

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...  @BurntOrange&White

Analyzes film... lack of effort is terrible

Why is Texas SO BAD on Defense? Texas Loses to Kansas | Texas Longhorns | Texas vs. Kansas

Texas doesn't have 4 and 5 stars on the OL and throughout the defense. It is a great video, but this whole idea that Texas has elite players is a misnomer.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Video above @ 7:20 explains a lot to me.

I've been wondering why Overshown will make one or two awesome plays at the beginning of a game then, completely disappear.  Effort and give-a-fuckedness.  But hey!  Armband game!

I would ask him to leave. He's a SJW 1st and a shitty football player 2nd.

Too late now, but I wish they had tried a different defensive playcaller after the tech game. Seeing them score at will was...unsettling.

Ohio state did it after horrendous defensive games in their first 2 - completely turned around their defense.

Our shit's all borked, yall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JBJ said:

We single-gap the vast majority of the time.  You are confusing 2-gapping with the inability to take on and get off a block properly.

I really can't tell: shittiness vs two gapping.  What should I look for? 

On a lot of run plays, it looks like our two DL (in the 2-4-5) play with really high pad level and look to be reading the play, with no attempted penetration, like they would in a 2 gap scheme.  But I've read PK doesn't play two gap, so I'm always a bit baffled when I watch our run defense.  

I don't understand why it's not a given that Sark gets fired after losing six straight. I mean, if he'd gone 7-5, we'd all be disappointed, sure, but you don't fire a guy for that in his first season.

But the lack of accountability during this historic shitshow is... something. An equivalent performance at any corporation in the world would get you fired. Why not football coaches? PK's ineptitude is a symptom. Sark is the disease. And the cure is not "give him time."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't understand why it's not a given that Sark gets fired after losing six straight. I mean, if he'd gone 7-5, we'd all be disappointed, sure, but you don't fire a guy for that in his first season.

But the lack of accountability during this historic shitshow is... something. An equivalent performance at any corporation in the world would get you fired. Why not football coaches? PK's ineptitude is a symptom. Sark is the disease. And the cure is not "give him time."

You can’t fire a coach after one year my guy. We’re never going to get another decent coach to come here. You have to give him a chance to fix it. 

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi...  @BurntOrange&White

Analyzes film... lack of effort is terrible

Why is Texas SO BAD on Defense? Texas Loses to Kansas | Texas Longhorns | Texas vs. Kansas

Seems like a pretty good channel, thanks for posting.  Blond dude was an RB at Baylor, but previously at Cornell, so I guess he gets a pass.

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

Too late now, but I wish they had tried a different defensive playcaller after the tech game. Seeing them score at will was...unsettling. Ohio state did it after horrendous defensive games in their first 2 - completely turned around their defense.

Our shit's all borked, yall.

Interesting point, but different scenarios...

Kerry Coombs first time DC role started in 2020.  Before that he had zero experience calling defenses as the DC in CFB and NFL.

2007–2011 Cincinnati (DB)
2009–2011 Cincinnati (AHC/DB)
2012–2016 Ohio State (CB)
2017 Ohio State (ADC/CB)
2018–2019 Tennessee Titans (DB)
2020 Ohio State (DC/DB)
2021–present Ohio State (DC)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You can’t fire a coach after one year my guy. We’re never going to get another decent coach to come here. You have to give him a chance to fix it. 

Oh, no? I guess OU has sucked ever since they fired Howard Schnellenberger after just one season (which was arguably better than this year's Texas shitshow).

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I really can't tell: shittiness vs two gapping.  What should I look for? 

On a lot of run plays, it looks like our two DL (in the 2-4-5) play with really high pad level and look to be reading the play, with no attempted penetration, like they would in a 2 gap scheme.  But I've read PK doesn't play two gap, so I'm always a bit baffled when I watch our run defense.  

First step tells a lot.  You'll either be pressing the OLs shoulder or centering in front of their body and trying to match their zone steps.

A 1-gap Tackle into the flow will work their blocker vertically upfield on the outside shoulder, whereas a 2-gap player will try to strike the blocker then disengage to chase the ball.

Backside the flow a 1-gap Tackle might not even make contact but will run through the gap vacated by the G/C.  Whereas a 2-gap will intitially fight over the block.

But, yeah, when they are getting easily sealed by a blocker it looks the same and you have to make a judgement based on the first step.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting point, but different scenarios...

Kerry Coombs first time DC role started in 2020.  Before that he had zero experience calling defenses as the DC in CFB and NFL.

Ok smart guy, what about the fact that we suck? Huh? Did you think about that? No, you didn’t, because you only think about yourself. 

29 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Kansas scored over 50 points on our defense. Optics dont get worse than that. Who wouldn’t take Traylor right now?

The last time this same group of players played Kansas they scored 48, and if Traylor likely does that same thing, what then?

Edited by HtownHorn

Didn't it take him like 2 years of cajoling to get him to switch positions?  Seems like the writing was already on the wall.
Eh, lot of guys don’t want to move.
Firing coaches after 1 season without even having his recruits is definitely smart. We have the dumbest fans in cfb lol

His recruits won’t make him less of a poor play caller. Any remotely competent DC should be able to beat Kansas with 49 points.
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If you blatantly show no effort or care I am going to blame always. Lots of blame to share but it starts there.

Yet we keep

playing the guys who don’t care. If you keep playing a dude that is blatantly sabotaging the season why would you keep playing him week after week? What would we lose? More games than 6 straight?

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If you blatantly show no effort or care I am going to blame always. Lots of blame to share but it starts there.

This defense starts what, eight seniors? Not to mention plenty of experienced transfers. They didn't just all magically forget how run fits work.

We’ve never benched Foster and every other game he has a play where he gives up a TD just by giving poor effort.   If these coaches can’t even handle the basics of dealing with that kind of thing - like benching the players who obviously mail it in- then we shouldn’t give the coaches the benefit of the doubt.   Handling this is part of the coaches’ jobs, and they’re failing at it. 
If a machine malfunctions during a surgery, the doctor doesn’t get a free pass if his response is to piss his pants and then set the patient on fire to ward off the evil spirits.

Or to keep using it.

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?