TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The obvious solution then is to never let him face fresh defenses that are trying.

Keeping Casey on the bench with his production and the starter struggling makes sense if the starter is an established player with skins on the wall. When the starter is the younger option whose only accomplishment is looking decent(?) in practice against the same defense that just gave up 40 to Tyrone Swoopes of the Ozarks… well that’s the type of preordained, golden boy shit that divides locker rooms.

(Also, I hate to bring it up and I know this played no role in the decision, but there’s an obvious racial angle that opposing coaches are gonna use against us if Casey continues to not get opportunities.)

I don't doubt some dirtbag coaches will use that but that should be very futile.  Sark's wife is African American.  Also, my comments are sarcastic of course.  Play who ever can help you win now, none of this " I got time anyway" stuff.

• Like 1

I am all for seeing what Casey can do to give us the best chance of winning. But anyone dismissing Hudson after one bad game when all 22 players on the field looked like warmed over dog shit including Hudson and our Heisman potential running back is knee jerking the shit out of this. The same for those claiming Hudson isnt accurate down the field. Take a deep breath. Let's not turn on every player who played less than desirable and in the process of alienate our whole team. 

Everyone should have played better. The coaches should have coached better. They should have had the team ready. The team should have had themselves ready. There isnt a player or coach on this team that doesnt deserve to share the blame. I think we should give Casey the next start. Let's see what he can do.

And for those claiming that Hudson was anointed or the locker room is divided, thats all bullshit. the players and coaches know who can play and they know Hudson earned the job. 

Let's play Casey and see what he can do. Let's get the team back on track and learn from this shitty shitty performance.

• Hook 'Em 1

Casey should start, and should have started, the rest of the year.

Casey should probably start next year too.

That allows Hudson to start as a JR.

This idea of Hudson winning for sark in year 3 and 4 is fools gold. Casey should have started and after we’ve added needed components, Hudson does better when he takes over.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

The same for those claiming Hudson isnt accurate down the field

I haven’t seen him as much as you have but so far I’ve seen no evidence of deep ball accuracy in what 4 quarters of game action?.  Maybe he can work on that some more in the off season and get better.

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Anyone have clips of Card's performance? I want to go back and watch some of these misses/drops

He had some very bad throws to wide open WRs.  He also had some throws right on the money that were inexcusable drops.  This offense clearly needs reps and we need a veteran qb that isn’t going to panic.  I think Casey needs to start.  He was quick with his decisions.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, victory88 said:

He had some very bad throws to wide open WRs.  He also had some throws right on the money that were inexcusable drops.  This offense clearly needs reps and we need a veteran qb that isn’t going to panic.  I think Casey needs to start.  He was quick with his decisions.

i dont think he panicked. but i do think he was being too careful. he, like the rest of the team, needed to take a deep breath, say fuck this shit, these guys suck, im just going to go play my ass off and kick the ever living shit outta these fuckers.... but thats not what happened. time to regroup and refocus.

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That was mentioned in the summer and it seemed interesting hearing Jeffrey McCullough say at Texas certain players are going to play….

I didn’t think this was a race  thing but more like the coaches had their favorites and those guys were going to play no matter how they perform on game day.  
I also wonder about guys from certain HS where the coaches want to keep the pipeline going (such as lake Travis)

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

He wants to show recruits how to suck shit through a straw?

Lol. 

he definitely wants to show Arch and receivers a pro style offense that features pro routes concepts and a pocket QB. That’s Card. 

Casey is going to use his legs a lot and take the safer underneath throws. Sark isn’t a big fan of running QBs but that’s probably best for this year’s team. 

15 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Lol. 

he definitely wants to show Arch and receivers a pro style offense that features pro routes concepts and a pocket QB. That’s Card. 

Casey is going to use his legs a lot and take the safer underneath throws. Sark isn’t a big fan of running QBs but that’s probably best for this year’s team. 

so next year we start trying to run Sark's offense and go through this same shit again except Arch loses interest.

18 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Lol. 

Well then he is a fucking moron, because this offense can’t run his scheme and if I am a recruit I am sure as shit not going to commit to that.

• Hook 'Em 2

Burton:  

Does Steve Sarkisian open the QB battle once more? The first-year Texas coach clearly doesn’t have the same pieces to the puzzle at Texas that he did at Alabama, not on the OL, not at WR or TE. The question is whether the added dimension of Thompson’s feet gives Texas a chance at a better season than Card’s arm? Additionally, Card lacked some composure in the pocket and got happy feet a few times. Yet it’s also important to remember that Thompson, because of the score at the time he entered the game, never truly faced a blitz and the Razorbacks weren’t doing as much to disguise their defensive calls. There just wasn’t as much pressure on him as there was Card.

Regardless, this game was neither won nor lost by Card or Thompson. The Horns got their butts whipped up front. Period.

Thanks for this @satyanash 

(Bobby Burton) Sunday: Waking Up

And at quarterback, Hudson Card never really got going. He clearly didn’t feel comfortable in that environment, nor is he always acting with the urgency needed to get down and distance with his legs. I’m sure Arkansas dropping eight into coverage while still getting pressure with three didn’t help matters, which only brings us back to the abysmal play of the OL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know why any coach would be against running QBs unless they couldn't pass a lick, and that is not the case with Thompson....So why then would Sark still favor Card over Thompson. Is he worried, Thompson, as the running QB, might face greater chance at injury? Well, then what's the worry? You've got your real QB1 on the sidelines. 

I said Casey looked better than sam in the bowl game, not that he was a better qb.   Stats prove I’m right.  But I know stats are for losers, herman was sabotaging sam and Colorado was already tired?70CFF399-DA6C-4BB0-8143-01572A5F70C7.thumb.png.fb96b9e7d01433a48e16f4fdb7691aac.png

Misunderstood. Thought you meant better than Sam ever, in any game or in any portion of a game.

No doubt he was better vs. Colorado.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Card just doesn’t have the spark with the offense in my opinion, I said it last week and got blasted.  I just think Thompson has more “it” factor and reacts better under pressure.  

Offense definitely felt like it had a spark when Casey came in. Granted as mentioned earlier the defense was playing more laid back by that point but he just felt more confident in the pocket. Hoping he starts against Rice but Card is still able to get valuable reps. Then Casey needs to start when we open conference play the next week

1 hour ago, jinx said:

The comments Bijan made postgame about trying to settle Hudson down were all I needed to hear. Play the upperclassman. This team needs all the leadership it can get, and I think Casey provides that better than Hudson at this point.

This. At least Casey will make a defense pay for only rushing 3. It will augment Bijan’s run game as well.

Everyone needs to put things in perspective and have some patience with Hudson. Casey might be the better option right now, idk, but it's idiotic to write off Card completely (most of you aren't doing that, but still). This type of impatience and shortsightedness is fucking toxic in the era of social media.

Card was in his 2nd game ever, after a redshirt year where he didn't even get 2nd string reps, learning a brand new system, in a very hostile environment, with WR drops, shit pass pro and shit run game. 

Give him time. Sark is a QB mastermind and Card has the tools. Most of the issues yesterday were related to inexperience (pocket presence, going through progressions) and were exacerbated by the lack of help around him. Maybe he needs some time at backup until he gets more comfortable in the offense, but he still has a very bright future. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Card is trying too hard to play within the confines of the offensive scheme. You can tell that when he's buying time and looking down field. Right now he's too robotic with it.

I do agree that Card is playing robotic -- in high school he would have tucked it and run a lot more this past Saturday.

Inexperience and maybe trying too hard to please SARK by not running seemed obvious.  Don't think that's a successful offensive plan this year with problems on O-line...

• Hook 'Em 2