2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

They have invested hundreds of millions into that place over the last 10 years.  Best stadium in baseball.  Go there and say I’m wrong.  Blue heaven on earth.

It’s heaven for a Dodger fan. Kind of a sketchy, rundown stadium if not. Been to almost every active MLB park and it’s below average on a good day. Certainly my least favorite on the west coast.

1 hour ago, DallasGatr said:

It’s heaven for a Dodger fan. Kind of a sketchy, rundown stadium if not. Been to almost every active MLB park and it’s below average on a good day. Certainly my least favorite on the west coast.

You couldn’t be more wrong.  It is, without question, the best stadium in baseball.  I don’t know if anyone would ever argue that.  It is an amazing stadium.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Ok helobious of the west

If you’ve never been to Dodger Stadium, you cannot weigh in. And I love baseball.  Been to Wrigley, which is amazing.  But Dodger Stadium is equally remarkable.

Edited by Sbbruin

5 minutes ago, Scraps said:
10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:
If you’ve never been to Dodger Stadium, you cannot weigh in. And I love baseball.  Been to Wrigley, which is amazing.  But Dodger Stadium is equally remarkable.

If you've never been to every other stadium you cannot weigh in big dummy

Touche

0FCC7517-9407-457F-821D-8F30335B9458.gif

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Helo has never been there. 

I’ve seen every Cali stadium except San Diego. Never actually been to a game at Dodger stadium but I’ve been by it, area didn’t sketch me out at all. If anything Angel stadium was sketchier with all the homeless around. San Fran has to be the best stadium in that state, gorgeous in every way. Oakland was a complete dump. Worst pro sports venue I’ve ever seen. 

Watching Mets/Dodgers now, don't much care for the reno they've done on DS.  Be curious to know how bad those bullpen seats are, look to be set back from the fence with partial obstruction from both bleachers and stands.  Hope they're cheap.  Was a beautiful park when we visited years and years ago.  

I'd give Petco the edge over ATT or wtf Giants park is called.  

I threw on the little league game in the background because Shoehei and my God ARod is such a beating. Might have to flip around. 

Although they're talking to players again like they did at the all star. Guess I'll stay where I am. 

Edited by ztejas

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I'd give Petco the edge over ATT or wtf Giants park is called.  

That seems crazy to me. I've been to Petco and it was cool but not anything to write home about. Every time I see the Giants at home it looks pretty fucking awesome. That's without mentioning Dodger stadium - which apparently I need to check out some day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Glove/soda bottle is a bit kitschy imo.  

That's a fair critique. Personally I like the coke bottle and think the bay in the background with the sail boats is pretty inimitable. Like I said I haven't been there, though. 

Been to all of the West Coast stadiums over the last 25 years multiple times - Kingdome, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm, and Candlestick included.  

Oracle is easily number one. 

Petco is easily number two.

Dodger stadium has nothing going for it other than it being old/classic, being geographically interesting, and a tradition of a cool organist.  I can see why a homer would love it, but for an outsider it is not a top tier venue.  I say this even with my personal number one live baseball experience happening here -  2017 WS Game 2.  

Oakland is a dump, but a really cheap and easy place to see a game and the staff/fans are some of the friendliest around - which adds a lot to the experience.  

T-Mobile park in Seattle is thoroughly “meh.”

Anaheim is probably the least interesting to me.  Generic in every way and they still do that freaking rally monkey video.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve seen every Cali stadium except San Diego. Never actually been to a game at Dodger stadium but I’ve been by it, area didn’t sketch me out at all. If anything Angel stadium was sketchier with all the homeless around. San Fran has to be the best stadium in that state, gorgeous in every way. Oakland was a complete dump. Worst pro sports venue I’ve ever seen. 

Seriously? You’ve “seen” every stadium? The gift that keeps on giving…

OK, I screwed up when I said Dodger Stadium was the worst on the west coast. Totally forgot about Oakland (it’s totally forgettable.)

So my west coast ranking:

1-SFO (Loved it every time, even with frostbite)
2-SAN (Cool stadium, very Milfy)
3-LAA (Not surprisingly feels like Disneyland)
4-SEA (Surprisingly friendly fans)
5-LAD (Iconic, but needs LOTS of paint)
6-OAK (An absolutely horrific stadium, but a cool vibe minus the local gunfire)

Dodger Stadium was still a pain in the ass to get into in 2019. I hope some of the infrastructure changes have fixed that. Not talking about traffic but just getting through the ticket takers. 

I went to Short Stop on Sunset before the game. I think it was 6 bucks for a PBR tall boy and a shot. Amazing deal for LA. That was totally not the kind of scene I expected to experience in LA around Dodger Stadium.

I still need to go see a game at Petco. Walked around when it was just about finished and seemed like it would be great. Bonus points for any stadium you can walk to from your hotel. 

Wait, back up for a minute. Why would Astros fans be butthurt about Trevor Bauer? He's never beaten the Astros in any meaningful game, so is the theory that it's because he calls them cheaters? The same guy who has admitted to cheating?

His big statement was that he wasn't going to let the Astros forget that they're hypocrites and cheaters. It has since become widely known that Bauer is a hypocrite and a cheater. I mean Astros fans might not like him, but I don't think "butthurt" is the right word.

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

That seems crazy to me. I've been to Petco and it was cool but not anything to write home about. Every time I see the Giants at home it looks pretty fucking awesome. That's without mentioning Dodger stadium - which apparently I need to check out some day. 

My problem with the Giants' stadium is that the only seats with good sight lines are in the second level.  First level seating is not sloped enough, so even though I'm not short, I spent the entire game looking around the heads of people in front of me.  Third level is too sloped and waaaaaaaaaaay the fuck up there.

dodger stadium is simple and classic with good sight lines and is a pleasant way to spend a day or night watching a game or concert.

it is not a top stadium to watch a game using any meaningful metric. it’s old fashioned and i like that.

note - i have not been there since the 2020 renovation project, but i think that was mostly in the cf plaza. 

I actually have seen a few games in San Fran & Oakland, always had family in that area. Loved Oracle stadium (think it was at&t at the time) but it was fucking freezing/windy at night. In July. Off topic but the city itself is ugly as hell in my opinion. Maybe because it was cloudy & cold but still. Nicer than Oakland but a step below Portland and 15 steps below seattle. 

I enjoyed myself at Oakland Coliseum when I saw an Astros/As game there in Aug 2018. That stadium is definitely a 70's era multi-purpose dump but there's something oddly charming about it. Maybe it's the near perfect circular monstrosity surrounded by parking lots on all sides with way too many seats for baseball. Or maybe it's the dark interior walkways with the nasty bathrooms that reminds me of watching games at the Dome. Fans were cool and good-natured and the beer selection is top notch. I really hope Oakland doesn't lose the A's, that would be a disgrace for MLB imo,

• Like 1

3,000 hits and 500 HR. that's a special club. and it's gonna be few and far between from here on out regarding those milestones. Cano is a couple healthy seasons away from 3,000, but it's no guarantee. meanwhile guys like Trout, Altuve, and Freeman are all still under 2,000 hits. as for 500 bombs, Giancarlo is like 130 away or something but he's never healthy and has hit like 30 total bombs the last few years. Miggy is a truly special breed of hitter. 

So last night, I literally had Sunday Night Baseball on for about 2 minutes.

I heard A-Rod talking about how the Angels were going to be good soon because blahblahblah "plus they have the best record in baseball in 1-run games this season, so they have a lot to build on."  

Then they showed Jo Adell working out, doing a 66-inch box jump.  A-Rod says, "So he could basically jump on my head!"

Edited by Beau Vine

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Box jumps are a pretty overrated workout and yet everyone is always just so impressed by them. I can do a 42 inch box jump even though I probably have a 12 inch vertical. Nothing to it but picking your legs up in the air. /rant

you can do a 42 inch box jump? i'm gonna you to go rocko or go home on this one. 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, Sbbruin said:

They have invested hundreds of millions into that place over the last 10 years.  Best stadium in baseball.  Go there and say I’m wrong.  Blue heaven on earth.

I used to think that until Dodger fans started thinking it was Ok to go all Taliban on opposing fans.

If I ever go, it would be wearing blue and not when the Astros are in town.

That's bullshit.  It's the California way...

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

A day of practice and I bet 1/4 of the posters here could do it too, old and fat as they all are. Like I said my vertical is maybe 13 inches at best. 

I need a harness and someone on belay just to get in the back of the pickup...

Not really, but box jumps/ plyometrics are legit AF for workouts.  You come across as someone who hasn't really done many.

53 minutes ago, slorch said:

I need a harness and someone on belay just to get in the back of the pickup...

Not really, but box jumps/ plyometrics are legit AF for workouts.  You come across as someone who hasn't really done many.

I really haven’t, only done them to see how high I could go which isn’t exactly the point of them. Apparently my current max is a whole 2 feet below Jo Adell’s. Guess I need to work on them more if I ever want to play for the angels. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I used to think that until Dodger fans started thinking it was Ok to go all Taliban on opposing fans.

If I ever go, it would be wearing blue and not when the Astros are in town.

That's bullshit.  It's the California way...

I was there in June with my girlfriend. They were playing the Rangers. She wore my Red Sox Betts jersey and a Brooklyn dodgers hat and I was rocking Chico's Bail Bonds. Had a great time, people were really cool and even had a round of beer bought for us. I would go back in a heartbeat.