Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

There's lot of stories on here about a marked decline in quality.  Time to get your order and overall service have been abysmal for years now.  But IMHO, the quality of the burgers has declined noticeably.  Obviously it can change region to region with different distributors.  Fries, bun, and cheese are all same to me.  But the veggies and the patty itself are way fucking different.  I can't put my finger on it only than to say everything wastes more "watery" if that makes sense.  

The burgers are smaller and don’t have the same taste as before. Fries and drinks are still the same.

8 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

You’re a grown man, say 45. You have to choose one. Would you rather your weekend go to look be jorts, or always backwards baseball hat guy? I say 45 because I’m a couple over 60 and I think jorts get a bad rap.

What in the loving fuck.....

Dammit, focus man, focus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have the new owners fucked up Whataburger yet in Texas? It’s still the same in AZ.

Service has become abysmal at mine in Jax. I placed a lunch order a few weeks ago and when I arrived they said it wasn’t ready yet, which has become the norm. After another 10-15 mins of waiting/complaining me and some else in the same situation got the manager and he couldn’t find either of our orders. So their system not only never reported our orders to their store, but the cashier wasn’t actually confirming they existed when we came in. I’m pretty much done
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, YGIFS said:

There's lot of stories on here about a marked decline in quality.  Time to get your order and overall service have been abysmal for years now.  But IMHO, the quality of the burgers has declined noticeably.  Obviously it can change region to region with different distributors.  Fries, bun, and cheese are all same to me.  But the veggies and the patty itself are way fucking different.  I can't put my finger on it only than to say everything wastes more "watery" if that makes sense.  

Yeah I keep giving them a chance and they keep sucking. It's depressing, honestly. 

Their burgers used to be all melted together and dripping in juice and piping hot. I haven't had a sandwich like that from them in years now. The Texas toast is always dry and not buttery enough and the meat and cheese is just kind of... there. Like I'm eating a burger from Sonic or something. 

Cest la vie I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I keep giving them a chance and they keep sucking. It's depressing, honestly. 

Their burgers used to be all melted together and dripping in juice and piping hot. I haven't had a sandwich like that from them in years now. The Texas toast is always dry and not buttery enough and the meat and cheese is just kind of... there. Like I'm eating a burger from Sonic or something. 

Cest la vie I guess. 

Same, same. I don't begrudge the family for cashing out and living on a warm beach somewhere surrounded by piles of money, but it's a shame.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

No need to drag Sonic into this! At least in this town they’re faster than any other joint around that doesn’t have taqueria in the name. Double double with jalapeños goes down smooth when you don’t feel like waiting 30 minutes for Whataburger.

Sonic is what it is. It's never touched peak Whataburger. The point is that peak whataburger ceased to exist awhile ago. 

15 hours ago, Superhero said:

For some reason, my bowels occasionally take the weekend off. This morning I dropped a 3 pound turd with the top sticking above the water. It felt glorious and I just wanted to share.

Speaking of which.  Anyone ever think they have to drop a huge dump and then when you try to execute it’s a baby log?   Yea me neither

May should go in the commercials thread, but I was helping Mrs. Pokes get stuff ready for a fire department fundraising garage sale and someone donated a cassette tape of “funny” answering machine outgoing messages from the 80’s. I don’t know anyone with a cassette player so I looked it up on YouTube. Nostalgic!!

• Haha 2

Kinda amusing how being merely nominated for the Oscars is in and of itself a very prominent achievement. 

Imagine if athletes were introduced like, “from new orleans louisiana, a THREE-TIME NBA PLAYOFFS CONTESTANT, DJ Augustinnnnnn

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Kinda amusing how being merely nominated for the Oscars is in and of itself a very prominent achievement. 

Imagine if athletes were introduced like, “from new orleans louisiana, a THREE-TIME NBA PLAYOFFS CONTESTANT, DJ Augustinnnnnn

Don’t give aggy any ideas. Their wall is already full. If you start adding “National Championship Contender” to the possible honorifics, they’ll put every single year up there. 

On 4/12/2023 at 2:28 AM, YGIFS said:

Yes, the batteries will require horrific consequences with regard to mineral mining, dealing with China, and disposal.  Alls I'm saying is the torque is finally there with them and it'll at least make driving on highways crowded with trucks less shit-tastic.  The drivers like it because they'll get paid for the charge time by law soon enough.  Though I suppose they'll miss glory-holing at the diesel station and the sequel to "Maximum Overdrive" will be lame as fuck.

Just now, Gil Bang said:
On 4/12/2023 at 2:28 AM, YGIFS said:

Yes, the batteries will require horrific consequences with regard to mineral mining, dealing with China, and disposal.  Alls I'm saying is the torque is finally there with them and it'll at least make driving on highways crowded with trucks less shit-tastic.  The drivers like it because they'll get paid for the charge time by law soon enough.  Though I suppose they'll miss glory-holing at the diesel station and the sequel to "Maximum Overdrive" will be lame as fuck.

Fuck, I hate when I can't type on a linked post.

Anyway, there is a ton of optimism about using California's Salton Sea as a major lithium source...perhaps the world's largest.   That area is horribly economically depressed, so those jobs would be amazing.  Several big players, including GM, have made investments.

I dont understand how or why US-style plugs and voltage (Type A/110V) are the standard format for bathrooms all over the world. 

Hotels, trains, planes, no matter where you are the plugs on bathroom vanities are this same standard

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I dont understand how or why US-style plugs and voltage (Type A/110V) are the standard format for bathrooms all over the world. 

Hotels, trains, planes, no matter where you are the plugs on bathroom vanities are this same standard

In most places that isn't true. You must be staying in International Hotels. I always travel with a converter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

In most places that isn't true. You must be staying in International Hotels. I always travel with a converter.

Same here. Although with a lot of common travel devices it’s becoming less and less of a requirement. Although if the plug isn’t universal, you may need an adapter. 

Example: laptops typically can run on 50hz or 60hz outlets. But if the outlet isn’t universal, you’ll need an adapter.

Depending on the laptop, you may be able to get another plug for it and be fine. However that may be more hassle than it’s worth If you have several devices and they all need a plug converter. Than a simple converter becomes more useful. Also if traveling among countries that are also different from each other.

I always have a small power strip in my travel pack. When going overseas I throw in a converter and just plug the strip into that instead. Less hassle than 10 diff plugs or multiple converters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Would you go Sawzall or cordless chainsaw for light work around the house?

Cordless chainsaw all the way.  The Milwaukee ones are so good I'm contemplating replacing by Stihl chainsaw with one.

The reciprocating action of the Sawzall creates too much of a vibration in small to medium limbs.  They become a pain in the ass to cut real quick.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Would you go Sawzall or cordless chainsaw for light work around the house?

A cordless sawzall is great for a lot of jobs including minor pruning. 

Don’t waste your time with a cordless chainsaw. If you need a chainsaw you need a chainsaw, not a toy. Get a light duty Stihl and you won’t be disappointed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

Cordless chainsaw all the way.  The Milwaukee ones are so good I'm contemplating replacing by Stihl chainsaw with one.

The reciprocating action of the Sawzall creates too much of a vibration in small to medium limbs.  They become a pain in the ass to cut real quick.

Ha. Back to back endorsement and caution against battery powered chainsaws. To each his own.