Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

9 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My wide bought some sugar scrub for use in the shower and now we have an ant infestation all over the bathroom and in our bedroom. She freaks out and we move to the spare bedroom while the chemicals kick in but she's still using the scrub. Now we have an infestation in the spare bedroom. Guess who's sleeping on the couch tonight? 

Some of (but not all of) the ants? 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My wide bought some sugar scrub for use in the shower and now we have an ant infestation all over the bathroom and in our bedroom. She freaks out and we move to the spare bedroom while the chemicals kick in but she's still using the scrub. Now we have an infestation in the spare bedroom. Guess who's sleeping on the couch tonight? 

I seen the ants, man.  They have a good time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

So some people donated a box of Barbie’s to my brother’s family. He happens to live next to one of the few black families in our city  His son threw two Barbie’s over the fence along with a bag of poop. 

the two Barbie’s happened to be black. 

My nephew is 8.  Not a racist bone in his body.  But shit is awkward 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Racism is absolutely, beyond a doubt, 100% taught and indoctrinated by shitty parents and institutions.  I don't think you need to worry about your nephew being a racist and your brother is probably good people.  However, torturing dolls and hurling feces is likely a sign of a future serial killer.  But dammit, he'll be a non-racist serial killer.  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Racism is absolutely, beyond a doubt, 100% taught and indoctrinated by shitty parents and institutions.  I don't think you need to worry about your nephew being a racist and your brother is probably good people.  However, torturing dolls and hurling feces is likely a sign of a future serial killer.  But dammit, he'll be a non-racist serial killer.  

Gonna be honest he may not even be aware that the neighbors are black

• Like 1

Your nephew, "Look Uncle, CTH.  I don't see color or race, okay.  Now hold this bag of shit while I send these half-melted toy dolls over the fenceline there at those people that wake me up on Saturday mornings with their goddamn leaf blower."  

On 7/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, thunderlounge said:

And here I am wondering how many of these idiots can't recognize their own reflection. Must be a lot of vampires. call Sam and Dean.

The "Dead Man's Curve" singers?

On 8/6/2023 at 1:05 PM, Superhero said:

Who still uses cash?

Cash free since 2020. 

I cannot imagine how a grown-ass man survives in this world without cash (without the world thinking you're an asshole).   How the fuck to you tip a valet?  A bellman? A cocktail waitress?  The fucking hard-working mexican putting armor all on your tires at the car wash?  How do you get a room upgrade from the desk clerk at a hotel?   How do you grab a quick cup of coffee at the bodega?  Do you really pull out a card for a buck and a half cup of coffee at a bodega (or donut shop)?  What in the holy fuck do you stick in a strippers thong? When you leave a hotel, you don't leave a 5 or 10 for the maid?

I'm carrying a couple hundred at all times, minimum.  A hundred as a stashie (between phone and phone case) for emergencies at all times.  At least 40 in 5's and 1's. That's on an everyday basis. If I'm going somewhere where I think I'll need more cash, I keep at least a thousand on hand under the proverbial mattress.

Are you a cheap fuck?   Or is it that where you live (and I know the very desirable community that you live in) it's a deal where everybody has wechat so cash isn't necessary?   Fuck, we just had a really rough week for the family... the kind of deal where people send over food and flowers.  Those delivery people expect and deserve a tip.   Some mofo rings the doorbell with a flower arrangement for the GF, he's getting a 5 spot for sure. Minimum. I'm not asking the motherfucker for his venmo code when he's delivering something.   Same for uber and the like.  Those cats absolutely prefer greenbacks over some bullshit tip on some bullshit app. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 7/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, thunderlounge said:

And here I am wondering how many of these idiots can't recognize their own reflection. Must be a lot of vampires. call Sam and Dean.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

The "Dead Man's Curve" singers?

Didn't know that Jan and Dean did a mashup with Sam and Dave?

Edited by NWBuck

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, closetohumping said:

So some people donated a box of Barbie’s to my brother’s family. He happens to live next to one of the few black families in our city  His son threw two Barbie’s over the fence along with a bag of poop. 

I think young kids can be prone to tribalism in their developing minds, and it doesn't have to be malicious, but simply a recognition that "these people look different than me" or in this case "these dolls don't look like me or my mom so they're the ones I'll get rid of." Again, doesn't have to be malicious. It's why parents should always be active in talking about peoples differences in a positive way. Being "color blind" is meaningless, and at this point, I roll my eyes.

I remember when my daughter at a very young age (maybe 3 or 4) asked me if we were black (we're brown Hispanic). Her reasoning was "well we're not white." Apparently kids were asking her if she was black or white. She wasn't upset so I don't think it was bullying, just kids noticing things and talking. In fact, we learned that some black kids were in that conversation too, and I think it was legitimate curiosity. I remember being angry at myself that I hadn't raised the issue with her before. It can be complex, but we do our best, as long as we're coming from a good place. Sorry for the serious response, just things that enter my mind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

The best time of the year to own a house near the airport is on air show weekend because the Blue Angels are scrimmaging above me right now and it’s pretty rad

Lincoln?  

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, closetohumping said:

Who puts their shit in a bag?  

42 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

We’re here for a concert and were able to watch the air show for a few miles coming into town. Unexpected surprise. 

They really give everyone a free show, which is nice. Really takes the magic out of stadium flyovers once you’ve had them come over low when getting the mail. 

• Haha 1

When these public engagement videos make the rounds, there are always comments like “good thing she said yes!” In todays age are there still proposals that happen randomly with the possibility of a no? Seems most people know when the time comes and conversations are had the timing is the only surprise, but you already know it’s a yes. Legitimately curious if people randomly or spontaneously propose publicly without knowing the answer.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

When these public engagement videos make the rounds, there are always comments like “good thing she said yes!” In todays age are there still proposals that happen randomly with the possibility of a no? Seems most people know when the time comes and conversations are had the timing is the only surprise, but you already know it’s a yes. Legitimately curious if people randomly or spontaneously propose publicly without knowing the answer.

Sometimes you miss the layups. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, 'stache said:

I think young kids can be prone to tribalism in their developing minds, and it doesn't have to be malicious, but simply a recognition that "these people look different than me" or in this case "these dolls don't look like me or my mom so they're the ones I'll get rid of." Again, doesn't have to be malicious. It's why parents should always be active in talking about peoples differences in a positive way. Being "color blind" is meaningless, and at this point, I roll my eyes.

I remember when my daughter at a very young age (maybe 3 or 4) asked me if we were black (we're brown Hispanic). Her reasoning was "well we're not white." Apparently kids were asking her if she was black or white. She wasn't upset so I don't think it was bullying, just kids noticing things and talking. In fact, we learned that some black kids were in that conversation too, and I think it was legitimate curiosity. I remember being angry at myself that I hadn't raised the issue with her before. It can be complex, but we do our best, as long as we're coming from a good place. Sorry for the serious response, just things that enter my mind.

I remember being very confused as a child because while I had heard of black people, all I had ever seen was brown people. I distinctly remember arguing with a babysitter over whether Bill Cosby was black or brown. 

• Like 1

^

I remember learning colors beyond the basic ones when I was little.  And telling my mom in the car one day that some of the people in South Chicago looked like me.  And she said something like "Yes, they are brown/hispanic/mexican/latina" like me.  And I said, "No, I look more beige."  She still tells that story 40+ years later and her whole family laughs and laughs.  I am not quite white, and not quite brown, I am beige (fairly dark skinned, very dark brown eyes, and very dark brown hair).  And like Prepuce, I didn't get why people called some people "Black" when they were clearly brown in color.  But when it was just mom and me at home when I was little, we spoke spanish.  When dad and sisters got home, we spoke English.  Then I kinda quit speaking spanish when I started 1st grade which in hindsight was a mistake but i was just trying to blend in to a mostly white school.  Resumed Spanish in 6th grade at home and at school but it's fucking tough.  My oldest is even whiter looking than her mom---pale blue eyes, blonde hair, very fair skin that is sensitive to the sun whereas I barely change shades from January to July.  but her Spanish is amazing, she has my mother's accent.  then you take my youngest-she's about as dark as me in all regards.  Hates when we speak Spanish around her and refused a doll the other day because "it didn't look like her, too dark daddy", never mind the doll was lighter than she was . 

You never know when they'll notice race or not notice it.  99% of the time they don't give a shit until mom or dad say something.  I have to occassionaly explain to the oldest, "Yes, I grew up speaking Spanish.  We speak Spanish together and with Grandma and my cousins.  I am dark, you are light.  We both have almost awkwardly sounding German names but have Hispanic blood in our veins.  You are Catholic, I am not.  The world is an interesting place." 

1/4 Sephardic Iberian Jew, 1/4 Indigenous Mexican, 1/2 Swabian-Austrian Lutheran.  100% Beige.  There are literally dozens of us America, DOZENS!   

• Like 2

On 8/24/2023 at 1:03 PM, 'stache said:

Fair enough.  I mean some negative thoughts did cross my mind.  I advised that he should invite fam over for dinner 

You know, people on all sides of issues point to shows/songs and say, "Oh, you couldn't do that today."  And I roll my eyes and realize there are so many facets to content/creative works that people deem inappropriate based on how sandy their genitals are that day.  We push envelopes every generation, just different ones is all.  

But yeah, I don't think anyone would green-light that sketch today.  Which is a fucking shame because I probably cry laughing to it once a year at how natural their improv looks without looking like it.  The fucking lyrics.  Never mind the racial elements, Frank flat out makes blind jokes.  And the beauty of it is Frank was actually a very progressive cat for his era.  But I go back and read about why Joe didn't want to do the show anymore if Eddie left and I was too young to appreciate those episodes when they first aired.  But now I see the chemistry between them was phenomenal.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 4:36 PM, 'stache said:

When these public engagement videos make the rounds, there are always comments like “good thing she said yes!” In todays age are there still proposals that happen randomly with the possibility of a no? Seems most people know when the time comes and conversations are had the timing is the only surprise, but you already know it’s a yes.

After we got out of a nice restaurant on a trip to Paris, girlfriend casually dropped "you know, i thought you were going to propose to me in there".

Just a few months later, on another trip around valentines day, I actually did propose.  We've been married years now, and she still maintains today that that event was a complete surprise to her.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 8:16 PM, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat likes to work puzzles on her Kindle Fire tablet. 
She was pleased to find one with an Austin scene, and also because our son’s bank office building is in the background…

3EE9E4E0-AA1D-4CF8-BDAC-06DD67825961.jpeg

I seem to recall a picture very similar to this on the Texas highway maps you got at rest areas back in the day (70's or 80's), yes?

• Hook 'Em 1

in many action/thriller films like james bond series, mission impossible, etc, you see the protagonist engaging in acrobatic high speed footchase wearing real leather-soled dress shoes.

and there is no instance ever in history where that is a good idea.  you sprint across a marble floor in a historic building in dress shoes youre gonna slip and bust your ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

in many action/thriller films like james bond series, mission impossible, etc, you see the protagonist engaging in acrobatic high speed footchase wearing real leather-soled dress shoes.
and there is no instance ever in history where that is a good idea.  you sprint across a marble floor in a historic building in dress shoes youre gonna slip and bust your ass.

Not if you are James Fucking Bond

Paying insurance sucks, but at the very least, it's nice that if you cancel in the middle of a policy they refund the unearned premium. I could totally see them saying sorry, you're SOL.

Not big on mainstream Country music, but I hear it occasionally. Why and how does every male singer have the exact same accent when singing when they come from all different areas of the country? And it’s an accent they seem to lose when speaking normally in an interview.

3 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Not big on mainstream Country music, but I hear it occasionally. Why and how does every male singer have the exact same accent when singing when they come from all different areas of the country? And it’s an accent they seem to lose when speaking normally in an interview.

Music larp. 

That is pretty weird now that you mention it.  The "country" I listen to from way back when, the half dozen or so guys all had a very distinct voice from one another.  I don't listen to the shit nowadays, but as you say-it just comes on the radio, commercials, games, restaurants, etc.  And other than maybe Sturgil Simpson if I focus, I couldn't tell if the next 5 songs are by the same person or five different people.  And yet they're from California to South Carolina and all points in between.  

It's especially strange when I realize I can make the distinction between 5 rock songs from 5 different singers from 5 different parts of London that are just 5 miles away from one another.  But I can't tell an American singer from Tucson from one from Macon, GA.  That's weird to think about actually.  

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Music larp. 

Nope. They’re mostly all suburban posers (Aldean, Morgan wallen, luke combs, etc) so they don’t actually have real accents. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

With the Horn moved over to 101.9, I now hear Jim Rome in the afternoon. Who the hell listens to that moron. He’s an asswhip. While we’re at it, who the hell watches Skip Bayless? He’s an even bigger asswhip. 

One better, who actually watches the sports commentary or pre-game shows at all? I'll admit I have pre-game shows on in the lead up to a game just to have some noise... but do people actually watch them? 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One better, who actually watches the sports commentary or pre-game shows at all? I'll admit I have pre-game shows on in the lead up to a game just to have some noise... but do people actually watch them? 

Do you mean like College Gameday?  Cuz yeah ,I watch that.