UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sounds exactly like the guy we should hire 

Well... we were sick of Rick Barnes by the end of his career at Texas.  Pretty sure there were some boos in the last few years.

Change of scenery and he is back to being the Rick Barnes we all loved for most of his career here.

Given Calipari's success over the whole of his career, it is possible he will have a solid rebound somewhere.

19 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Well... we were sick of Rick Barnes by the end of his career at Texas.  Pretty sure there were some boos in the last few years.

Change of scenery and he is back to being the Rick Barnes we all loved for most of his career here.

Given Calipari's success over the whole of his career, it is possible he will have a solid rebound somewhere.

Rick still had Texas playing like a NCAA tournament caliber team. Right now it looks like Kentucky is in real danger of missing the tournament in 2 out of the last 3 years. 

A change of scenery might be a good thing for Cal but Rick didn't have Texas looking anywhere close to this bad. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Gen X, actually. The self absorbed part is almost certainly right on, though. Can't speak much for my generation. I liked Sub Pop music, though. I felt like the music of my generation was pretty darn good, but I guess that's what most generations think. 

Sorry, I wasn't speaking of you, SLX. You good people. 

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

first he coached at Xavier from 2001-2009, and then after being fired by arizona they gave him a nice, soft landing spot and welcomed him home. you'd have to be one epically huge scumbag to turn around and leave again after having just been back for one season. 

Well, he is a college basketball coach, so...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Beard will probably phone it in wherever he goes next. I just don’t see him having the same “unite the family” type passion for another university he didn’t attend. But he will get back into coaching because he wants to continue bringing home paychecks to keep his fiancée happy 

Randi-Tweet1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Rick still had Texas playing like a NCAA tournament caliber team. Right now it looks like Kentucky is in real danger of missing the tournament in 2 out of the last 3 years. 

A change of scenery might be a good thing for Cal but Rick didn't have Texas looking anywhere close to this bad. 

I encourage you to re-watch Rick's last game, the tourney game vs Butler, and tell me how bad they looked because that team could barely get the ball past halfcourt. It was miserable.

• Hook 'Em 2

reading the part there about "who's your national coach of the year" was painful, because chris beard no doubt was going to be on that short list. after all, we were a missed FT away from being undefeated and no.1 in the country when all the shit went down. god damn it chris beard, you fucking boned us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

reading the part there about "who's your national coach of the year" was painful, because chris beard no doubt was going to be on that short list. after all, we were a missed FT away from being undefeated and no.1 in the country when all the shit went down. god damn it chris beard, you fucking boned us. 

Well, he boned Randi.

Randi boned y'all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Terry is not CDC’s MO. It’s just not. 

Mike White - .796 winning % at previous stop, 5 conference titles, 4 WCWS
Vic Schaefer - .781 winning % at previous stop, 2 conference titles, 2 Final Fours + another Elite 8, 2 Runner-Up Finishes
Floreal - 8 top 5 finishes for the women and 6 top 22 finishes for the men at previous stop
Joffe - .783 dual match record at previous stop and NCAA runner up finish

Terry - .538 at Fresno with 1 conference title and 1 NCAA appearance and .435 at UTEP

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

I understand everyones issues with Terry, but personally I’m rooting for him to be the coach next year because that means we made a Final Four this year 

I’m not gonna hope we lose. Sorry. I just can’t do it. This is one of our more promising teams in a long time. 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Terry is not CDC’s MO. It’s just not. 

Mike White - .796 winning % at previous stop, 5 conference titles, 4 WCWS
Vic Schaefer - .781 winning % at previous stop, 2 conference titles, 2 Final Fours + another Elite 8, 2 Runner-Up Finishes
Floreal - 8 top 5 finishes for the women and 6 top 22 finishes for the men at previous stop
Joffe - .783 dual match record at previous stop and NCAA runner up finish

Terry - .538 at Fresno with 1 conference title and 1 NCAA appearance and .435 at UTEP

playing devils advocate here, but the only other time a head coach was fired due to scandal/arrest under CDC was Coach Center (men’s tennis) and instead of doing a proper coaching search , CDC decided to promote the assistant coach (Berque) to permanent head coach. Although Berque has done a good job keeping the team ranked in the top 15 these past few years, he has accomplished that primarily with players Center recruited. The jury is still out on Berque until we see how his team does over the next couple of years with just the guys he brought on. 

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

I understand everyones issues with Terry, but personally I’m rooting for him to be the coach next year because that means we made a Final Four this year 

I’m not gonna hope we lose. Sorry. I just can’t do it. This is one of our more promising teams in a long time. 

Who here has said they hope we lose?

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

playing devils advocate here, but the only other time a head coach was fired due to scandal/arrest under CDC was Coach Center (men’s tennis) and instead of doing a proper coaching search , CDC decided to promote the assistant coach (Berque) to permanent head coach. Although Berque has done a good job keeping the team ranked in the top 15 these past few years, he has accomplished that primarily with players Center recruited. The jury is still out on Berque until we see how his team does over the next couple of years with just the guys he brought on. 

This may be a hot take but if Rodney Terry wins a national championship this season I don't give a fuck what CDC does. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

This may be a hot take but if Rodney Terry wins a national championship this season I don't give a fuck what CDC does. 

Yeah Terry would have to win a title and I doubt that’s going to happen. But if it did, I think we’d be content for a while haha 

50 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

the absolute pipe dream scenario is that this talented group of veterans and 5* studs makes a run to the FF which prompts a smaller, but legit school to come after Terry, at which point we let him leave with our blessing as we announce that Musselman or Oats is our new HC. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Coach Cal is washed. He's bringing in boat loads of talent and hasn't done fuck all with it in quite some time. Kentucky looked like a good team the year the tourney was cancelled and that's a what if, but they looked good last season too and flopped out in the first round to a 15 seed. This athletic program is cursed, we finally got someone who appeared ready to steer this ship in the right direction and he turned out to be a woman beater.

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the absolute pipe dream scenario is that this talented group of veterans and 5* studs makes a run to the FF which prompts a smaller, but legit school to come after Terry, at which point we let him leave with our blessing as we announce that Musselman or Oats is our new HC. 

Makes sense. I bet he’ll get some interest either way as long as we don’t shit the bed for the rest of the season (which I don’t expect us to).