Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think our team is way better than most here but Ivey is a different level player. We could definitely beat Purdue but I seriously doubt it with Ivey running the show for them

We’re going to have a problem with their post game, too. We just don’t have any size or depth inside. Really could have used Tre Mitchell. Not that he’s the answer, but having another body would have been helpful, and he was the best player on the low block on the roster. Oh, well. 

I was reading today that Purdue has the biggest difference between their offensive and defensive efficiencies, so maybe we can take advantage of that on the other end. 

One thing I know is they’re not capable of switching off of screens. 

I wonder if Ramey guards Ivey? I still can’t believe Ramey was left off the Big 12 all defensive team.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think our team is way better than most here but Ivey is a different level player. We could definitely beat Purdue but I seriously doubt it with Ivey running the show for them

Ramey held Agbaji to 5-18/1-8 to 2 games as the primary defender. KU has a very good post player too. Granted, Ivey is a likely a top 5 pick, but Agbaji is a 1st rounder too. We played two strong games against KU, I like our chances on Sunday, but we need our guards to have big days.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We aren't fucking done. 

This.  I don't think this team is unaware of their deficiencies, but I definitely get the feeling they don't care.  That's coaching, and that is the biggest difference between Chris Beard and Shaka Smart.

This season is officially a success.  Nowhere to go but up.  What a coup in landing Beard.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just curious if anyone who attended the Texas vs Va Tech game noticed a different demeanor from Beard on the sideline yesterday??

It just appeared his sideline tone was more relaxed and providing a more positive presence -- reminded me of how Penders used to coach in NCAA Tournament games.  

If you think about it, all the hard work is put in during the regular season to prepare for the tournament moments -- playing the tournament games for Penders teams often was just having fun and joy in the moments while executing the game plans.

Freeing up the players to hopefully play their best in March...

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

TTU fans remain insanely butthurt:

if we could charge them rent for all of that space in their heads which is occupied by Beard and UT Hoops, hell, i think we could pay for The Moody Center.

Insanely butthurt...or just rivalrous banter?   Also saw one yesterday with "SWC is undefeated in the Tourney this year."  Does that mean we hate Kansas?

It's OK to laugh every once in a while...and NOBODY hates this Texas team more than a significant group of posters on this very board who have been curb jumpers this whole season.

Good luck today, Texas!

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just curious if anyone who attended the Texas vs Va Tech game noticed a different demeanor from Beard on the sideline yesterday??

It just appeared his sideline tone was more relaxed and providing a more positive presence -- reminded me of how Penders used to coach in NCAA Tournament games.  

If you think about it, all the hard work is put in during the regular season to prepare for the tournament moments -- playing the tournament games for Penders teams often was just having fun and joy in the moments while executing the game plans.

Freeing up the players to hopefully play their best in March...

I was watching Tiger Woods HOF speech the other day and he dropped a badass line that his father used on him, "train hard fight easy", i think Texas does just that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

All 5 starters were seniors this season. Beard has a full offseason this time to get the guys he needs. Time to get to work

A bunch of them can come back for another season if they (and Beard) wish. My understanding is that everyone except Febres and Licon have another year available to them.

Edited by MuellerHorn

We lost to a better team, and even still had a chance to get back in it and a lottery pick made a couple of lottery pick-type shots. Proud of this team and look forward seeing some key guys come back. The program is in the right hands, it’s just a matter of time….

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Let’s get some guys that can make shots. Let’s not have a 7-10 min scoring drought every single game. 

part of that is not having perimeter guys that are athletic enough to breakdown a defender and get to the bucket consistently.  that's how you stay out of scoring droughts.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we're gonna have to find a legit big through the portal, which is going to be tough.  maybe Will Baker can come back now that we have a coach.

I agree with your comment on penetrating guards. Or wings, for that matter. I loved Timmy Allen as much as anyone, but taking a defender off the dribble one on one wasn’t his game. 

I replied to @Catdaddyhorn on another thread in the same way, but I think the bigger issue I have with hoping for a legit big man is that Beard is convicted on the positionless 5 man lineup, with guys who can buy in and learn to switch on defense, and play face to the basket on offense. That’s going to drastically lessen the pool he can draw from. He might grab a shot blocking project type that grabs limited minutes,  but we’ll never see a true 5 type of guy. 

10 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

A bunch of them can come back for another season if they (and Beard) wish. My understanding is that everyone except Febres and Licon have another year available to them.

Carr and Allen should come back, neither is ready for the next level. Ramey and Bishop are likely done, and Jones is probably 50/50.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Purdue played better, but this is interesting... 

I would like to point out Purdue shot 33 free throws against Yale.

I’d guess that’s the biggest two game free throw attempt mark in the 64+ tournament era. But it really is a guess. 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Carr and Allen should come back, neither is ready for the next level. Ramey and Bishop are likely done, and Jones is probably 50/50.

They’re not going to be ready for the next level after another year at Texas, either. There are a lot of ways to have a lucrative professional career without the NBA. That will have to be their path. 

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I would like to point out Purdue shot 33 free throws against Yale.

Yale has a bit more size than Texas too.  Purdue was all around the basket in that game for their shots.  51% shooting inside the arc; 58% last night inside the arc.

Edey and Williams are just a load for any team to defend, especially if you don't hit 40% or more of your threes. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yale has a bit more size than Texas too.  Purdue was all around the basket in that game for their shots.  51% shooting inside the arc; 58% last night inside the arc.

Edey and Williams are just a load for any team to defend, especially if you don't hit 40% or more of your threes. 

For sure. Which is why so many of us were not thrilled to see this matchup in the bracket.

You’ve pointed out multiple times the reasons why Texas was dropped to the #6 seed line. Beat KSU in Austin and manage to hold on to an 18 point halftime lead against TCU and it likely happens. Then you’re facing a much more beatable #4 seed instead of Purdue. That shit matters. I’m not educating you, merely echoing what you’ve been saying all along. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

For sure. Which is why so many of us were not thrilled to see this matchup in the bracket.

You’ve pointed out multiple times the reasons why Texas was dropped to the #6 seed line. Beat KSU in Austin and manage to hold on to an 18 point halftime lead against TCU and it likely happens. Then you’re facing a much more beatable #4 seed instead of Purdue. That shit matters. I’m not educating you, merely echoing what you’ve been saying all along. 

Sadly yes.  Texas was so close to that 5 seed but we blew it in KC.  This team probably could have beaten a UCLA, Providence, Arkansas or Illinois, compared to Purdue. 

We got the worst 3 seed possible.  Wisconsin would have been more preferable; even Tennessee would have been better than Purdue. 

Oh well, taking a rag tag group of nobodies with no size, after losing your 6'10 player midway through the year, to the school's first NCAAT win since 2014, is a win in my book.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I agree with your comment on penetrating guards. Or wings, for that matter. I loved Timmy Allen as much as anyone, but taking a defender off the dribble one on one wasn’t his game. 

I replied to @Catdaddyhorn on another thread in the same way, but I think the bigger issue I have with hoping for a legit big man is that Beard is convicted on the positionless 5 man lineup, with guys who can buy in and learn to switch on defense, and play face to the basket on offense. That’s going to drastically lessen the pool he can draw from. He might grab a shot blocking project type that grabs limited minutes,  but we’ll never see a true 5 type of guy. 

yeah, not a lurch type but a bigger 6 10 type of guy who is somewhat mobile.  they are out there.  I realize Beard doesn't play a true post up 5 but we post up plenty enough.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, not a lurch type but a bigger 6 10 type of guy who is somewhat mobile.  they are out there.  I realize Beard doesn't play a true post up 5 but we post up plenty enough.

It’s a weird post up, though. Never do we get the ball deep in the low block. It’s always 2-3 feet outside the paint. 

The advantage of that from a recruiting perspective is that talented bigs are all enamored with developing/showing off their face up game. It was a big part of winning the portal recruiting battle for Bishop/Disu and especially Mitchell. It will be a big part of attracting any players in the portal this year. 

My main purpose in even replying is simply to try to help with expectations. We’re highly unlikely to ever see an Edey/Williams/Cockburn/McCormack type. In terms of Beard’s recruiting prowess, that’s not a bug. It’s a feature. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s a weird post up, though. Never do we get the ball deep in the low block. It’s always 2-3 feet outside the paint. 

The advantage of that from a recruiting perspective is that talented bigs are all enamored with developing/showing off their face up game. It was a big part of winning the portal recruiting battle for Bishop/Disu and especially Mitchell. It will be a big part of attracting any players in the portal this year. 

My main purpose in even replying is simply to try to help with expectations. We’re highly unlikely to ever see an Edey/Williams/Cockburn/McCormack type. In terms of Beard’s recruiting prowess, that’s not a bug. It’s a feature. 

Williams and McCormack for sure are possible.  not Edey and probably not a Cockburn

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll bring that discussion over to this thread (don't know how we devolved into the roster composition discussion on the Point and Laugh thread) in today's high school basketball there are plenty of 6'7" to 6'9" guys who fit the mold of what he's looking for, particularly in Texas. Beard's urgency to win now makes him less patient and seemingly unwilling to project young bigs.  Jericho Simms was only 6'7" and around 190 when Smart began recruiting him.  He looked more like Dillon Mitchell back then than what he ultimately became, which hopefully means good things for us with Mitchell.   Even a Jaxon Hayes  fits the mold of a switchable big on the college level.

You have to be willing to look for traits and even risk going after a lower level recruit and project out a little as long they fit your specified physical requirements. Jaxson Hayes and Kai Jones were both outside the top 100 (outside the top 200 in Hayes case) when they caught the previous staff's eye.  Beard tends to go after college transfers for his bigs rather than risking a scholi on a young, bouncy big who is yet to physically mature. 

Regardless I really like that Beard goes after rangy, athletic guards and wings, so much like the tradeoff we get with his tightly controlled,  boring ass offense I'll gladly take athletic wings over bouncy bigs who shoot 50% from the FT line while taking the overwhelming majority of our FT attempts. 

Plus Beard got us back into the DFW metroplex recruiting market which was something that we've missed over the last 10 to 15 years.  Even Barnes struggled to recruit DFW in his last 5 to 8 years outside of a few one off gets like Myles Turner. To high light how important DFW is for basketball recruiting,  Texas has 5 McDonald's All-American's this year and every single one of them is from the metroplex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It would also be great if they had some semblance of a mid-range or post game. Bishop, has neither, and never but the Purdue bigs into defensive conflict. I can't count the number of times Bishop had the ball just inside the FT line with the Pudue big playing him at the restricted area, and Bishop had no ability to score from that space.

13 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Williams and McCormack for sure are possible.  not Edey and probably not a Cockburn

Neither Williams nor McCormack can switch. Especially McCormack. Not to the standard Beard will want. Part of the reason Purdue’s defense is statistically so poor is that they can’t switch effectively with either Edey or Williams in there.

That’s what I’m saying. The type of “big” Beard is going to recruit is going to be very limited. That limitation will naturally mean less value placed on abilities to post up.

Let’s see what happens. Just expect a lot of 6’5 to 6’9 type of guys in our future, with an occasional 10-15mpg prototype shot blocking type with no real offensive value whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Had tre Mitchell stuck around we probably wouldn’t have been a 6 seed and he would have helped last night. I think the portal is going to explode this year so he will have a lot to pick from, just a prediction and it should start getting live as the tournament ends. Gonna be fun.

I wonder if the Texas kid who went to Kentucky with Jai Lucas last year wants to come home.  I don't think he played much.  Hopefully Oscar Tshiebwe returns to school to help push him out.  He's the exact sort of big who fits Beard's mold, plus he's bouncy and athletic which fits mine.  Can't remember his name.  

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wonder if the Texas kid who went to Kentucky with Jai Lucas last year wants to come home.  I don't think he played much.  Hopefully Oscar Tshiebwe returns to school to help push him out.  He's the exact sort of big who fits Beard's mold, plus he's bouncy and athletic which fits mine.  Can't remember his name.  

Daimion Collins, from Atlanta.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Daimion Collins. He’ll have to give up his free Porsche and take a pay cut. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe I'm stubborn,  but I don't know why yall want Carr taking the ball out of Arterio Morris hands next season.  Carr was a gamer and I'll give him credit for showing up in big moments this year, but man I can do without seeing him back next year.  Give me a bigger and more dynamic backcourt mate to team up with Morris.

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe I'm stubborn,  but I don't know why yall want Carr taking the ball out of Arterio Morris hands next season.  Carr was a gamer and I'll give him credit for showing up in big moments this year, but man I can do without seeing him back next year.  Give me a bigger and more dynamic backcourt mate to team up with Morris.

Because you need guys to stick around to help pass culture on to the next set of guys coming in. Right now, the only projected returning players are Disu and Askew.