ERCOT Urging For Energy Conservation

Vic Mackey

Episode 4 Hello GIF by The Simpsons

TXANS Update—Jan. 14, 2024: ERCOT has issued a Conservation Appeal for Monday, Jan. 15, from 6 – 10 a.m. CT. Operating reserves are expected to be low tomorrow morning due to continued freezing temperatures, record-breaking demand, and unseasonably low wind. We request Texas businesses and residents conserve electricity use, if safe to do so. At this time, if you are experiencing an outage, it is local in nature and not related to grid reliability. Please contact your local electric provider for more info: http://bit.ly/48JZfC2. Read news release: http://bit.ly/48zuaBa

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

TXANS Update—Jan. 14, 2024: ERCOT has issued a Conservation Appeal for Monday, Jan. 15, from 6 – 10 a.m. CT. Operating reserves are expected to be low tomorrow morning due to continued freezing temperatures, record-breaking demand, and unseasonably low wind. We request Texas businesses and residents conserve electricity use, if safe to do so. At this time, if you are experiencing an outage, it is local in nature and not related to grid reliability. Please contact your local electric provider for more info: http://bit.ly/48JZfC2. Read news release: http://bit.ly/48zuaBa

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I like the “at this time” any outages are local/not the grid.

come 8am? 

4A440C49-54EA-4BFB-B5C2-0ECBC5B33F00.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

ever driven through a big city or past a big box development at those times?

Ok? So I need to make sure all the LEDs around my house are turned off? The fuck man

We've had 2 previous storms to perfect our response. Nope. 3rd storm in 4 years and we're still doing to hope and pray execution. When the shit crashes tomorrow, prices will get to $5000/MWh so assholes can make extra money.

So….exactly like it was designed to do. Cool cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don’t even understand this. Is 6-10AM hot water heater time or something? What cranks up at that time I guess breakfast cooking with an electric stove? 

People waking up and turning up the heat, government, businesses and schools opening up and cranking up their heat, lighting, etc.

However, it’s MLK day, so a lot of people will be sleeping in and most school districts and universities/colleges and government buildings are closed or operating at a reduced level, so not sure what their angle is.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, B00M said:

We need you to not drink coffee or eat breakfast so businesses can use massive amounts of energy to warm and illuminate empty buildings.

Also, eat a dick.
Love, ERCOT.

This.  I just posted it on the other thread too, but my office is closed and I guarantee the HVAC and most lights will be on all day tomorrow.  16 floors worth.

• Rage+1 2

No CR, their words...not mine.  Conservation Appeal.  Think about the root words and how fucking insane this is.  People at home, on a federal holiday between 6 and 10am.  In the most energy abundant state in human history.  

Just let it simmer.  But don't let it simmer because your stove has no power.  You fucking child.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, B00M said:

We need you to not drink coffee or eat breakfast so businesses can use massive amounts of energy to warm and illuminate empty buildings some dickheads can run a never-ending massively parallel number-guessing game on hundreds of computers, hoping for a chance to win a magic internet bean.

Also, eat a dick.
Love, ERCOT.

Fify

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

Fucking cool. Great. I'm on an essential grid, so fucking whatever.

I told myself that until last year.  I'm sure our power came back quicker than many, but we've still lost power and lost water over the past few years.

And they are telling people to lower their thermostats, but a lot of people are thinking "oh great, we're gonna lose power, I might as well bump the heat up and get the house as warm as possible in case we do".

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

As usual, power is now out. Saying back on by midnight but they really don't know because they don't know why it's out. Of course, in 2022, we lost power 13 times for at least 30 minutes in a 6 month span. We are less than 10 minutes from 130 east of Pflugerville, so not in the sticks. Hence the $20K generator installed. Feel bad for the neighbors. Will be calling them to let them know the door is open.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Yea early Tuesday morning looks the diciest for the grid  That is when supposed to still be 10-15 in DFW and 15-20 in Austin/San Antonio but Houston is supposed to check in with 20-25 (whereas right now they are still in lowish 30s north side and up as you move toward the coast).

Plus a more planned full day (don't forget the 2021 grid failure happened as we were rolling into President's Day)

Edited by Surly Bevo

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wunderground has temps actually warming into the 20s overnight and freezing rain window doesn’t start til about 3am now instead of midnight and only going til 6am. Who the fuck knows though. 

Weather.com has the Austin area being below freezing through Tuesday 2pm....and then dropping back down to below freezing at 6pm until sometime Wednesday morning, but they have Wednesday and on being warmer than originally forecast (Wednesday pushing 50, not freezing overnight, Thursday hitting 71), with another freeze Friday night with 25.

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I told myself that until last year.  I'm sure our power came back quicker than many, but we've still lost power and lost water over the past few years.

And they are telling people to lower their thermostats, but a lot of people are thinking "oh great, we're gonna lose power, I might as well bump the heat up and get the house as warm as possible in case we do".

Man, I absolutely understand. And also I get frustrated as hell by all the ercot bullshit. I'm not cranking up the heat tonight, but I'm also not turning the heat off. I'm just treating tonight as any other night, AC wise.

12 hours ago, immamac said:

I don’t even understand this. Is 6-10AM hot water heater time or something? What cranks up at that time I guess breakfast cooking with an electric stove? 

Recharging the vibrators after the previous evening’s activities.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Roughly 60% of Texas homes and businesses have electric heating systems.

I have lived in apartments with electric heat, and we have electric heat down at the bay because there are no underground lines out in the nowhere.  But how do businesses have electric heat?  Strip centers?

14 hours ago, B00M said:

wtf? Who uses excess energy from 6-10am? FUCK YOU ERCOT

Not defending the wider grid situation but morning is a peak energy use time in the winter. Coldest part of the day, more energy used in heating.

13 hours ago, immamac said:

Beyond HVAC and water heating, anything like a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc uses a ton of energy. At a fundamental level, generating heat is very energy intensive, though modern heat pumps are getting really good (we as a state refuse to incentivize these).

Edited by gmr548

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And they've been running nonstop during the coldest part of the night, so that by 6 am the system is strained.

A lot of people run their air/heat on a schdule so that it runs less when they are sleeping and under blankets etc.

Add in water heaters for showers, stoves, microwaves for breakfast, offices turning on heat/lights etc, then business starting and machinery equipment etc starts getting turned on, it just adds up, just not households.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Beyond HVAC and water heating, anything like a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc uses a ton of energy. At a fundamental level, generating heat is very energy intensive, though modern heat pumps are getting really good (we as a state refuse to incentivize these).

Big ones in morning. It's why you can easily blow out a circuit trying to run more than one on it.

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  I just posted it on the other thread too, but my office is closed and I guarantee the HVAC and most lights will be on all day tomorrow.  16 floors worth.

I recall during the '21 freeze, downtown Houston's grid didn't lose power and the downtown buildings shined bright all night so the rest of the dark city could see it.  Sometimes there just isn't common sense.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

A lot of people run their air/heat on a schdule so that it runs less when they are sleeping and under blankets etc.

Add in water heaters for showers, stoves, microwaves for breakfast, offices turning on heat/lights etc, then business starting and machinery equipment etc starts getting turned on, it just adds up, just not households.

Sure, some people drop the temp in their home at night.  But even if it's an average of 5 degrees per household, when it's 10 to 20 degrees colder outside, all of those systems are working considerably harder all night.

I'm pretty sure that a bunch of people taking 10-minute showers and microwaving a breakfast burrito for 2 minutes isn't taxing the grid nearly as much as several hundred thousand heaters working that much harder for several hours straight.  It's a combined effect, sure, but the morning routine stuff seems like just the cherry on top.

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Wait really?! What the actual fuck.  That’s idiotic. Texas is an ideal location for heat pumps, they are energy efficient and very good at heating when it’s above 20 or so. 

The stupidity, it hurts my head.