Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Nahlin Note:

Edit: Here’s a note from Arlis’ mother, Kim Boardingham

“What’s stood out for me...The commitment from the coaches and supporting staff that my son would gain a whole new village of mentors and career givers. The way they laid out the academic career and the football career… wow! I got all my questions answered and learned a few things! “

They’re certainly doing well with parents.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This may just be my recency bias, but it seems like for the first time in awhile that Texas is passing on pretty strong talent in order to wait on even stronger talent to officially commit. KJ Miles is a four star talent that appears to also be a good student. 

LoochDickGobbler: that's Real. Recruiting. or somesuch

Eric Nahlin

Fans clamoring for a month-long fireworks show were predictably a month early. Recruits who were unable to experience in-person recruiting until June 2021 were going to use the month to gather information more so than to announce their intentions.

Many recruits will now go home, decompress, go over pros and cons of each school and start to announce with a steady run of decisions expected between the first week of July and the start of football season.

Early indications reveal the Texas staff did well to connect with recruits and sell the Texas vision for football, academics, and NIL, but we’ll find out how well they truly did as those announcements begin to cascade in one direction or another.

June movers: Players Texas increased its chances with over the course of the month. Texas will sign a large number of these players.

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX) - Texas: It was imperative Texas got Miller to campus this month and it happened on the last weekend. Tiring of the recruiting process, this recruitment finished how it projected from the start. When we use the term slack in a recruitment, we mean ground can be made up in a hurry. This one went from bust to BOOM real quick.

TE Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (Van Nuys, CA): Boardingham looks to be the most likely tight end in the class but he appears to be in no hurry to decide. IT feels with a strong push from the staff Texas would be the team to beat.

OL Cameron Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): Williams has a chance to serve as the barge all other July fireworks are shot off of as he announces on Thursday, the 1st. Getting a high upside player out of Duncanville will be one of the better early wins for the staff, especially versus Mario Cristobal and his reputation for offensive line recruiting and development.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX): This should be another July announcement with other “smart” schools in the mix. Texas views him as a guard or center with center most likely. Robertson was more of an unknown heading into June but recent weeks provided some clarity.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX): UT needed a big June with Hutson as he was set to take official visits to UT, A&M, and OU. We think UT has positioned itself well for the win. Hutson will likely announce in July.

*Oklahoma offensive lineman Jacob Sexton is set to announce on the 3rd. IT believes the previous three linemen are higher priorities and Sexton will most likely pick OU.

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Marlin, TX): Texas improved its standing but this recruitment has a long way to go. He’s viewed as a priority so they’ll recruit him through the whistle even at the cost of telling other good players ‘thanks, but no thanks’. Bledsoe will take official visits in the fall so this recruitment is nowhere close to over.

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS): Texas now has more than a puncher’s chance after visiting the talented, if underrated big man. If you look at all internal and external inputs, Texas might have the best odds of landing Bryant. He is a nose tackle. The staff wants one really good one and is being highly selective. Which is relevant to…

DL KJ Miles, St Peter’s Prep (Jersey City, NJ): Hailing from an Aggie battleground state, Miles is set to announce on the 4th of July, probably from the site of the Battle of Trenton. The staff definitely likes Miles but given numbers at nose tackle are low and it’s still early in the cycle, IT is unsure if he’s a guy they’ll push for in the coming days.

OLB Keahnist Thompson, Lakeland (Lakeland, FL): In the run-up to July it was mentioned numerous times in-person evaluations would factor into who the staff prioritizes or backs off of. Thompson is one who helped his cause on his Texas official visit. Where as Miles might be a victim of low class numbers, Thompson plays a position Texas needs to load up on. He is announcing tomorrow (Wednesday) and we’re watching it closely. It would not surprise IT if he became a Horn. If in fact he becomes a Horn, we will re-write the ’tiny pianist‘ joke to ’large Keahnist’.

OLB Derek Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): A July 20th announcement is scheduled for the potential X-backer. IT would predict Texas for Brown after a strong push throughout the spring culminating in a game-changing official visit in June. We believe Brown is high atop the Texas wish list and would provide a different athletic element to the edge than the other targets. Baylor’s Joey McGuire has a strong relationship with Brown, but this likely boils down to how bad UT wants him.

OLB Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV) - Texas: Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski took advantage of his pre-existing relationship with Jones and shut him down on his official visit. Jones fills a need at Jack OLB. Expect a big senior year from him.

OLB Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL): Texas versus Michigan and Ian Boyd thinks Finkley can’t lose either way. While IT believes UT has done well in this recruitment, the recent visit didn’t tell us one way or the other which way he was leaning between the blue bloods. Finkley will likely make a decision before the season, with July being a possibility. He’ll release a top-four on the 4th.

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL): Another Texas versus Michigan tilt, Ian Boyd thinks Finkley and Cheeks would make for great roommates no matter where they go to school. Cheeks is a priority for UT and the staff helped its chances during his June visit. Jeff Choate has received consistently good feedback from linebacker recruits. Cheeks should announce his intentions before the year.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX): Patton’s firework show may not be until right before the season but Texas is the leader heading into summer.

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - Arizona State: Given the serious allegations at Arizona State, Texas is positioning itself for the flip. He’s a player the staff liked early and now the door is open. Turner-Gooden will take an official visit to Texas on October 16th. Signing him would mean Bryce Anderson would factor towards corner numbers.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX): If Harris makes a football-only decision, Alabama will be tough to beat. If he makes a more encompassing decision, Texas will be tough to beat. IT believes it’s the latter. The good thing is A&M isn’t in it so we shouldn’t have to respond to reporting from that market. An announcement after the start of the season is most likely but if Texas goes on a big run of commits it could affect his timeline.

Holding serve: This could be a good thing if UT was already in a strong position heading into the month.

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX): Texas checks all the boxes for Stewart: NIL, perfect scheme, NIL, early playing time, NIL, etc. We don’t have him as a June mover because Texas checked those same boxes in May.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX): The other half of the twin turbos, Texas checks the same boxes for Thompson when it comes to scheme. He’s remained a priority for the staff throughout the cycle and UT is in a strong position. He’ll take a Texas official visit in the fall after visiting unofficially earlier in the month.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX): He’s likely going to trade his OU commitment for an SMU one, but Texas is positioning itself for the written pledge, not the verbal one. Throw the rock around the field and win some games and it’ll be difficult to see him choosing SMU over UT when it’s all said and done.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): IT has had UT in the lead for Banks for months and months. While he has mentioned liking smaller atmospheres in the past, we believe that won’t be a hindrance in his decision. He’ll decide in the back third of July.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): OU is going to make Texas work to land Campbell but that staff hasn’t always recruited him hard — in fact this time last year they weren’t. He was very excited about the hires from Alabama while already liking Texas the school. The family has been consistent in saying they’ll take their time to make a decision. So after you tinkle about Banks (probably for no reason), you can focus on tinkling about Campbell (also probably for no reason).

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX): Texas has been in a strong position since early spring. Yes, A&M has pressed, but the Ags will most likely run out of time even though Anderson extended the clock for them. He’ll make a decision before the season.

Work to be done: These recruitments will prove difficult to win.

OL Kameron Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): UT might have actually helped itself in June but it’s hard to tell. The staff did well to get him on campus for an unofficial visit before he visited A&M and Ohio State. To win out, UT will have to play the long game and earn an official visit. If Texas fosters recruiting momentum and wins on the field this recruitment will get more interesting for Texas fans. One thing to keep in mind is numbers. He’s damn good, but is he numbers busting good?

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX): Texas helped its cause in June but there’s still so much work to be done he’s in this category. Perkins’ recruitment is similar to Bledsoe’s and Hudson’s: hang around the rim long enough to give yourself a chance.

CB Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX): He just visited Tuscaloosa this past weekend where Saban was selling him on trying corner first, but then going to nickel or safety if that didn’t work. As long as he gets a chance at corner, that’s all he cares about. He really enjoyed Texas but this recruitment could come down to how bad Alabama wants him. This one isn’t the easiest to handicap. Brooks will make a decision before the season, with mid-July looking to be the most likely. If Alabama doesn’t have room, then this recruitment would swing wildly in UT’s favor.

Finishing with Terrance Brooks was going to steal my likes, so I’ll finish with a joke:

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - Arizona State: Given the serious allegations at Arizona State, Texas is positioning itself for the flip. He’s a player the staff liked early and now the door is open. Turner-Gooden will take an official visit to Texas on October 16th. Signing him would mean Bryce Anderson would factor towards corner numbers.

Was wondering about this. If we pull off a LTG flip, I guess the best case db haul looks like: 

CBs: Harris, Anderson, Guilbeau NB/S: Allen, Hyphen

They would probably happily swap Brooks for Guilbeau if JG flipped to TCU and they can manage to beat Saban for two priority CB prospects. Brooks probably has a spot regardless of the numbers if he wants in. 

Missing anyone? We don't seem to have a lot of other defensive back offers out. 

Edited by UncleSonny

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boardingham has feet for hands. @Ricky's one-hitter @Burt Macklin @Fud @golfclap maybe y’all or some other film junkie can check out his hudl.  This stuff is coming from 2 distinct directions, so I assume there is something to it.

That's usually pretty impossible to tell off hudl. He won't put the drops in there, so you have to find highlight tapes of an opposing player who played against him and then see if it's on there. In other words, I'll just take your word for it. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mack Brown is basically jacking off to the idea of getting Cheeks.

Does this mean your source thinks Cheeks is a lock to UNC? That would suck. I like him a lot as a prospect, and I really don't understand the reasoning behind ND taking Junior tuhiuahnalnakldnla over him. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boardingham has feet for hands. @Ricky's one-hitter @Burt Macklin @Fud @golfclap maybe y’all or some other film junkie can check out his hudl.  This stuff is coming from 2 distinct directions, so I assume there is something to it.

Regarding hands, usually I have to go off of someone who's seen the player in person, because the highlights obviously won't show you the lowlights 

8 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Was wondering about this. If we pull off a LTG flip, I guess the best case db haul looks like: 

CBs: Harris, Anderson, Guilbeau NB/S: Allen, Hyphen

They would probably happily swap Brooks for Guilbeau if JG flipped to TCU and they can manage to beat Saban for two priority CB prospects. Brooks probably has a spot regardless of the numbers if he wants in. 

Missing anyone? We don't seem to have a lot of other defensive back offers out. 

That would be a pleasant surprise if Guilbeau did flip but was replaced with Brooks.

Harris, Anderson, Allen, Hyphen, and Brooks dream class would be sick.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That's usually pretty impossible to tell off hudl. He won't put the drops in there, so you have to find highlight tapes of an opposing player who played against him and then see if it's on there. In other words, I'll just take your word for it. 

Does this mean your source thinks Cheeks is a lock to UNC? That would suck. I like him a lot as a prospect, and I really don't understand the reasoning behind ND taking Junior tuhiuahnalnakldnla over him. 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding hands, usually I have to go off of someone who's seen the player in person, because the highlights obviously won't show you the lowlights 

This reads like two guys who don’t want to put the work in to help this board out. It’s disappointing, frankly. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry wrote this on Boardingham today:

Is Boardingham attending The Opening in Los Angeles next week or whenever? 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think they're going to let Boardingham take all the time he wants while recruiting the shit out of Skinner. 

I once got into a bar brawl at Little Woodrow’s Midtown back when it was still an ice house shack. This guy kept harassing the bartendedress rudely and he looked like Arliss from the eponymous HBO show. The bartender was/is a good friend of mine and the guys I was with, so I said “hey, Arliss, shut the fuck up and have some fucking manners!” The dude had to have been called that before because he responded immediately telling me that I didn’t own the bar. Then his buddy intervened with “hey man, what’s your problem with Arliss? as he walked towards our spot at the bar. 5 minutes later, those poor bastards were long gone and we were dying laughing. The bartender covered for us when the cops rolled up. So fuck Arliss. But not Arlis, I guess. 

Anywho, where were we?

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I once got into a bar brawl at Little Woodrow’s Midtown back when it was still an ice house shack. This guy kept harassing the bartendedress rudely and he looked like Arliss from the eponymous HBO show. The bartender was/is a good friend of mine and the guys I was with, so I said “hey, Arliss, shut the fuck up and have some fucking manners!” The dude had to have been called that before because he responded immediately telling me that I didn’t own the bar. Then his buddy intervened with “hey man, what’s your problem with Arliss? as he walked towards our spot at the bar. 5 minutes later, those poor bastards were long gone and we were dying laughing. The bartender covered for us when the cops rolled up. So fuck Arliss. But not Arlis, I guess. 

Robert Wuhl attended UH, so it could have been him.

Call me crazy but I think Dewberry's too big a fish to play in a small pond like College Station. 
Which is exactly why aggy emphasizes SEC!SEC! instead of giving kids the hard sell about agricultural and Maintenance located in beautiful college station. Rumlin did the same shit, works on some kids.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This may just be my recency bias, but it seems like for the first time in awhile that Texas is passing on pretty strong talent in order to wait on even stronger talent to officially commit. KJ Miles is a four star talent that appears to also be a good student. 

The new $9.95er rumor about Sexton doesn't pass the smell test to me. We bring him in for an OV and then 2 weeks later tell him no thanks? Especially when we have a grand total of zero (public) OL commits?

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The new $9.95er rumor about Sexton doesn't pass the smell test to me. We bring him in for an OV and then 2 weeks later tell him no thanks? Especially when we have a grand total of zero (public) OL commits?

With this COVID year, a lot of these OVs are basically extended workouts since camps/seasons have been so limited. Look at Tavorus Jones or KJ Miles.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

They view Sexton as an RT and like Williams for that spot better.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't seen the post because it's VIP, but on the Banks thread on 247, a poster says the LSU mods are saying Texas.

Billy Embody:

Ship has sailed as of late from what I heard yesterday for my morning tidbits. Texas probably gets him is my early bet.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

This is good.  Or Geauxd.  Or whatever.

From Billy Embody (LSU 247 mod).  On Banks, and Texas crootin' in general.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.d151091b962f206ce990bd03a4492674.png

image.thumb.png.340f623eedf824526bd3f94d073de0ac.png

image.thumb.png.914dfa391d793eec5d68e6c48acf5f9d.png

image.thumb.png.eba4908a7786787ac73748aa14d8a64b.png

image.thumb.png.31261104c8306c46d0691d5c32f558b4.png

image.thumb.png.903fc3901943e53a46f76ee29496653f.png

image.thumb.png.1cc913b3d6f6c723a855016f99697991.png

The fucking guy whining that "something is always working against LSU football" is so laughably idiotic with his take that it's breathtaking. No one stumbles into more shit and comes out smelling like a rose than those idiots. They backed into hiring the idiot that is Orgeron and then he lucks into hiring Joe Brady who maximizes a transfer castoff QB from Ohio State for a national title. They won the weakest national title since 1984 in 2007 when they fucking lost a second regular season game to end the year against Arkansas and then watched 7 teams lose in front of them and SEC bias pull them into the BCS national title game anyway. They fucking strike gold by tripping into the seam. And this clown whines about their luck.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The fucking guy whining that "something is always working against LSU football" is so laughably idiotic with his take that it's breathtaking. No one stumbles into more shit and comes out smelling like a rose than those idiots. They backed into hiring the idiot that is Orgeron and then he lucks into hiring Joe Brady who maximizes a transfer castoff QB from Ohio State for a national title. They won the weakest national title since 1984 in 2007 when they fucking lost a second regular season game to end the year against Arkansas and then watched 7 teams lose in front of them and SEC bias pull them into the BCS national title game anyway. They fucking strike gold by tripping into the seam. And this clown whines about their luck.

And they're doing fine in recruiting this year, despite losing Anderson and Allen...

34 minutes ago, Getafix said:

This is good.  Or Geauxd.  Or whatever.

From Billy Embody (LSU 247 mod).  On Banks, and Texas crootin' in general.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.d151091b962f206ce990bd03a4492674.png

image.thumb.png.340f623eedf824526bd3f94d073de0ac.png

image.thumb.png.914dfa391d793eec5d68e6c48acf5f9d.png

image.thumb.png.eba4908a7786787ac73748aa14d8a64b.png

image.thumb.png.31261104c8306c46d0691d5c32f558b4.png

image.thumb.png.903fc3901943e53a46f76ee29496653f.png

image.thumb.png.1cc913b3d6f6c723a855016f99697991.png

I like Embody, but here he took the post-visit honeymoon as gospel 

23 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Why are we not seeing Alabama and Clemson on that list? 

For one, Bama is 16 and Clemson is 20, so the actual answer is because of the cutoff at 14 instead of 20 or 25. Also, top talent can often take a while to decide, and they can absolutely slow play their backup plans. Bama's got an average player rating of .94 and Clemson .92, so the guys they've got are elite.

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

So I was curious when was the last time we signed an OL as highly ranked as Banks and you have to go all the way back to Mason Walters in the '09 class (247 composite). The last 5 star OL we signed was Darius James in 2013.

Thinking about how rough OL recruiting has been:

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Thinking about how 5-stars like Tray Allen, Walters, and Darius James were horrible busts

triggered GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wish Embody would put in a crystal ball pick to get the gigem' board riled up.

Yeah aggy is clinging to the fact they think that all the 24/7 sites except Texas are picking Banks to aggy. When the truth is the aggy site is the only one picking aggy.

8 minutes ago, elguapo said:

So I was curious when was the last time we signed an OL as highly ranked as Banks and you have to go all the way back to Mason Walters in the '09 class (247 composite). The last 5 star OL we signed was Darius James in 2013.

Now do Devon Campbell

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This reads like two guys who don’t want to put the work in to help this board out. It’s disappointing, frankly. 

Is Boardingham attending The Opening in Los Angeles next week or whenever? 

Anywho, where were we?

So even his buddy was calling him Arliss?  I loved that show.  Is there a way to stream it?  I'd like nothing more than to spend a week night on my couch watching Arliss, drinking a Dr. Pepper and eating a McRib

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting