Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, texifornia said:

So was Sterns/Green/Foster/Overshown/Cook, am I right?

This class as hoped would be much stronger at corner. That class had an overrated Cook plus Green who was a little raw and Jamison who was considered undersized. Brooks and Harris project better.

Nick at Nite: Everything we know on scheduled upcoming commitments

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Nick at Nite: Everything we know on scheduled upcoming commitments

Nick Harris

After a busy month of June with hundreds of visits including Texas targets taken during the 27-day live period, we have seemingly officially entered commitment season as multiple recruits are scheduled to lock things down in the coming days. Let's dive into each and where Horns247 sees Texas in each of those races.

Let's start with Wednesday's scheduled commitments: four-star cornerback Terrance Brooks and three-star defensive lineman Keahnist Thompson.

Brooks is coming off a month where he took five official visits to Texas, Alabama, Oregon, Florida and Ohio State. Going into the month, Alabama held a sizable lead in this recruitment with Texas in second, but after a solid official visit during the big June 18-20 weekend, the Longhorns were able to give the Brooks family something to think about. I think this is a close race between the two schools, and I don't feel good enough about either to enter a Crystal Ball Prediction. We are continuing to dig more into this throughout the night and early morning, but expect this to be a head-to-head toss-up between the Longhorns and Crimson Tide.

Thompson is coming off of an official visit this past weekend at Texas, and all signs have indicated that it was a big hit and that Texas has entered the picture here. It wouldn't completely surprise me to see Texas win this recruitment, but I would have to lean towards UCF pulling this one out because of the Golden Knights' proximity to his home in Lakeland, Fla. as well as a strong push from the Gus Malzhan staff.

Moving forward, Duncanville three-star offensive tackle Cameron Williams is set to make his decision on Thursday. Tuesday he announced a top three of Texas, Oklahoma and Oregon. I feel good about Texas' chances in this race, and I'm entering a Crystal Ball Prediction with a confidence score of 7. His official visit this past weekend was a huge score for the staff and sources in Austin feel this one is their's to lose.

On Friday, four-star offensive guard Cole Hutson will be making his commitment. Texas has done a great job in this recruitment but will be battling the likes of Oklahoma and Texas A&M down the stretch. The Longhorns have done as good of a job as anyone in recruiting Hutson and are in a good position to possibly land him to cap off the final weekday of this crazy week.

Going into the weekend, on Saturday four-star offensive tackle Jacob Sexton will be making his commitment. While Texas was able to make some considerable noise in this recruitment during his visit, I see Oklahoma winning out in the end. There were some rumors about Texas possibly not taking his commitment and I don't see that as fact right now. Sexton was highly coveted by this new staff and I think it will simply end up as a loss in the end. That being said, help is on the way for offensive line recruiting. I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction with a confidence score of 8 for Sexton to land at Oklahoma.

Texas is also monitoring a pair of July 4 commitments with four-star wide receiver Jordan Hudson and four-star defensive lineman KJ Miles. With Hudson, there isn't anything new to report as Horns247 still sees SMU as the favorite. With Miles, information will be coming later in the week.

(Gerry Hamilton) Live from L.A.: Nighttime Nuggets

Spoiler

Howdy from Los Angeles, where I will be covering The Opening/Elite 11 for On3.com and IT. For those wondering, I had to go by Pepperdine, and it remains the best college campus on planet earth.

More important, however, is the fast-moving decision-making world for recruits in the 2022 cycle.

Let’s begin with the latest on Little Elm cornerback/nickel Terrance Brooks. While Texas fans await his decision on Wednesday at 3 p.m. CT, an important note is that should Brooks pick the Longhorns, the selection would have the full endorsement of Brooks’ mother and father. There is a strong liking for Steve Sarkisian, and a belief that all the staff needs to do to become a competitor on the national stage is load up “SEC body types and talents” on the offensive and defensive line. Brooks and father approve of the Texas staff. Terry Joseph has done a very, very good job in this recruitment. Texas has done everything they can in this recruitment.

Lakeland DE/EDGE prospect Keanhist Thompson is also scheduled to announce his decision on Wednesday. Miami began the recruitment as the heavy favorite, but the Hurricanes staff informed the 6-foot-3, 255-pounder that they were recruiting him as a defensive tackle a few weeks ago. That opened the door for UCF and Texas. UCF is recruiting Thompson as a defensive end, and Texas is recruiting Thompson as a JACK per a source at Lakeland. A former coach and recruiting coordinator at Lakeland now on the recruiting staff at UCF provides the closest to home team a legit chance. With that said, the source at Lakeland informed IT that Thompson had a different reaction following his Texas visit.

Duncanville OT Cam Williams remains set to announce July 1. The 6-foot-5, 375-pounder continues to look like a Oregon vs. Texas decision with Oklahoma and Miami also under consideration. Williams was sporting an Oregon hat around Duncanville Monday, and a Texas hat today. A source at Duncanville believes Williams’ mom would sign off on Oregon, as she travels a lot with work and would have no issues going to watch her son play, but prefers closer to home.

And finally, Steve Sarkisian and Bryce Anderson are currently on a zoom call.

At The Opening/Elite 11of note for IT ...

Maalik Murphy
Quinn Ewers
Jalen Hale 2023
Evan Stewart
Larry Turner-Gooden
Arlis Boardingham
TE Jaden Platt (Eaton) 2023

-------------------------------

Dallas Showtime AAU had practice tonight. IT was told that Cam Williams was sporting the Oregon hat tonight, and iSchool Academy PG Arterio Morris was wearing Texas head-to-toe. IT was also told that the two chatted for a while by themselves during a couple of gatorade grabs. Bet that was an interesting convo.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, pretty good job by Brooks of maximizing the suspense at any rate. Night before his commitment he has zero CBs logged, and Alabama (the presumed leader) mods are hedging and saying they don’t think it’s them. 

Seems like the Texas side feels confident that it was a two team race but haven’t heard anything concrete that UT is the pick. They’re mostly hoping that the Bama guys are right and that it was in fact down to Texas vs. Alabama. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Which part of the previous page makes it sound like anything other than a tossup?

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, quite a bit of context apparently. 

Cancun for a week will do that to a man. Every other time I’ve checked this thread I’ve either been all drunk or half asleep. I may need to do some re-reading 

11 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

These guys make me fucking angry. It’s Sport’s Illustrated for chrissakes and it’s just content regurgitation. “Mike Roach said” or “in an interview on the horn”. Fuck you. Do some goddamn work. They probably don’t even have subs and TARS is powering SI Texas sports coverage right now. 

yes, they are not what they were and will never be again.

https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/sports-illustrated-becomes-latest-legacy-magazine-gobbled-up-by-pe

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't know guys with fan edits like these, do we really have a chance here?

(Also holy shit are the replies to his commitment date announcement really validating the "UCF fans are waaaay too online" stereotype)

UCF fans have a stereotype? 

I'm sure this is on the football board somewhere, but here's the first taste of grassroots NIL. Side note: I know Matt is a long time Surly contributor - well done, Matt. 

How do NIL deals come together? Insight on the verbal agreements for 2 Texas players

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-football-name-image-and-likeness-DeMarvion-Overshown-Josh-Thompson-Last-Stand-Hats-167178191/

Mike Murphy founded Last Stand Hats in 2018 on an entrepreneurial whim. Friends and family bought his gear at first. But the Austin-based company didn’t truly take off until after the 2019 Sugar Bowl when Baltimore Ravens safety DeShon Elliott tweeted a picture of himself wearing a DBU patch hat Murphy sent a few weeks prior.

Now a licensed apparel company for several FBS schools, including Texas, Murphy told 247Sports he plans to use a similar grassroots strategy to foster continued growth of Last Stand Hats via name, image and likeness partnerships.

When Senate Bill 1385 goes into effect in Texas on July 1, college athletes in the state – and likely in every other state nationally, at least in some form – will be able to profit off their NIL. Last Stand Hats has prepped for months while awaiting a NIL bill to pass and launch in Texas, and the brand already has struck tentative agreements (nothing can be signed until July 1) with Texas Longhorns defensive backs Josh Thompson and DeMarvion Overshown.

“NIL is huge because now you can reach out to these players, connect with them and help build their brand and grow with them, which is pretty cool,” Murphy said.

Murphy said he’s in talks with around 10 other Texas players, and he hopes to eventually make similar deals with athletes at schools like Texas Tech and Texas State with which Last Stand Hats also has licensing agreements.

The Longhorn football team has purchased Murphy’s designs in the past, and both Thompson and Overshown have been pictured in Last Stand Hats' gear previously. The same could be said of multiple Texas officials, including athletic director Chris Del Conte and head football coach Steve Sarkisian.

DeMarvion Overshown (left) and Josh Thompson (right) (Photo: @TexasLonghorns)
NIL conversations between Last Stand Hats and Texas athletes started only recently, but Murphy said the key for a strong partnership is creating designs that make sense for the athletes while treading cautiously around any intellectual property owned by the institution. Athletes in Texas cannot utilize things like their school logos or hand sign when profiting from their NIL per the legislation's rules, according to a spokesperson for Sen. Brandon Creighton who authored the bill.

That means Murphy must get creative with his designs to avoid any entanglement. This could mean leaning on Overshown’s “Agent 0” moniker when designing his apparel. Murphy also indicated that could work to the player’s advantage because of an ability to work quickly. He used the example of former Texas quarterback and tight end Tyrone Swoopes, who inspired chants of “Swoooooopes” at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium whenever he was on the field in the memorable 18-Wheeler personnel package.

“If he’d still be in college and this came out and they were doing the 18-Wheeler package, all you had to do is make a truck with the No. 18 and everyone would’ve worn that shirt,” Murphy said. “It’s about jumping on it.”

From a compensation standpoint, Murphy said it will vary from player to player. That could mean a monthly retainer and a percentage of sales, a purely sales-based model or something else. Murphy said he’s willing to work with the athletes to find the best fit.

“We’re still in the works with that,” Murphy said. “Then you have to have contracts. You have to say, ‘If we’re going to work with you, we’re your apparel company for the next year. After that you decide. ... Our end is more, ‘How can I do this fairly?’ For us it’s let us figure something out. We’ll come up with the design and help you come up with your stuff and we figure out contracts and payments and stuff like that." 

Nothing can launch until July 1. Until then Last Stand Hats' agreements with Thompson and Overshown are merely verbal arrangements. Murphy is hopeful they sign July 1 and added Last Stand Hats is talking with other well known players as well. 

Murphy said he plans to move fast beginning Thursday. Thompson and Overshown have done their prep work with Murphy on designs, and there’s strong possibility at least a presale link goes up at midnight for Thompson and Overshown to share with their followers on social media.

“July 1 we’ll roll everything out and we’ll see how it goes,” Murphy said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting