Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Decisions

Gerry Hamilton

Senior National Recruiting Analyst On3.com

Decisions, decisions, decisions

When Jamarion Miller committed on Monday, that kicked off what could be a an electric month of July for Steve Sarkisian and staff. With a number of prospects expected to make announcements in the next 30 days, it’s time to provide the IT community a timeline of the decisions on the horizon.

CB/N Terrance Brooks, Little Elm High
5-11.5, 185, 79-inch wingspan
Commitment date scheduled: June 30
The players: Texas and Alabama
Worthy of mention: Ohio State, Florida, Oregon and Texas A&M

DE/EDGE Keanhist Thompson, Lakeland High (FL)
6-3, 255
Commitment date scheduled: June 30
The players: Texas and UCF
Worthy of mention: Miami

IT prediction: It Thompson commits to Texas today, that very likely takes Finkley out.

OT Cameron Williams, Duncanville High
6-5, 375
Commitment date scheduled: July 1
The players: Texas, Oregon and Oklahoma
Worthy of mention: Miami

OG/C Cole Hutson, Frisco High
6-5, 305
Commitment date scheduled: July 2
The players: Texas and Oklahoma
Worthy of mention: Texas A&M

IT prediction: #AllGasNoBrakes

OG Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
6-4, 295
Commitment date expected: early July
The Players: Texas and Stanford
Worthy of mention: Northwestern

IT prediction: #AllgasNoBrakes

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland High
6-1, 190
Commitment date expected: July 4
The Players: SMU and Texas

IT Prediction: Pony Express

EDGE/OLB Derrick Brown, Texas High
6-3.5, 205
Commitment date scheduled: July 20
The Players: Texas and Baylor

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek High
6-5, 300
Commitment date scheduled: July 24
The Players: Texas and Texas A&M
Worthy of mention: LSU, Oregon

IT prediction: Texas has led since the new staff began recruiting Banks

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
5-11.5, 185
Commitment date expected: July

IT prediction: Texas has led since the new staff got established

CB Denver Harris, North Shore High
6-0, 180
Commitment date expected: Prior to senior season
The Players: Texas and Alabama
Worthy of mention: LSU and Texas A&M

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (IL)
6-2.5, 210
Commitment date expected TBD
The Players: Texas and North Carolina
Worthy of mention: Michigan

DE/EDGE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)
6-2, 260
Commitment date scheduled: TBD
The Players: Texas, Michigan, Stanford, Alabama
Worthy of mention: Colorado

WR C.J. Williams, Mater Dei (CA)
6-2, 195
Commitment date expected: July
The Players: Notre Dame, USC and Texas

DT Aaron Bryant, Southaven High (MS)
6-4, 305
Commitment date expected: TBD
Worthy of mention: Ole Miss, Georgia

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha High
6-2, 220
Commitment date expected: Early October
The Players: Texas, Baylor, Arkansas
Worthy of mention: Michigan, LSU

OG Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie High
6-3, 310
The Players: Texas and Oklahoma
Worthy of mention: USC
IT prediction: Texas continues to lead

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty High
6-0, 175
The Players: Texas, Alabama, Florida
Worthy of mention: Texas A&M

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman High
5-10, 165
Worthy of mention: Oklahoma State, Oregon, Alabama, Clemson

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
6-0, 190
The players: LSU, Alabama, Texas and Georgia
Worthy of mention: Mississippi State

TE/ATH Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham High (CA)
6-3, 225
The Players: Texas and Arizona State

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin High
6-4, 280
The Players: Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama
Worthy of mention: Oklahoma and LSU

OLB/hybrid Harold Perkins, Cypress Park High
6-2.5, 210
Commitment date expected: January 2
The Players: Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama

OT Kam Dewberry, Atascocita High
6-4, 310
The Players: Ohio State, Texas A&M and Texas
Worthy of mention: Oklahoma and Alabama

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

How would any of you recruiting gurus rate the DL we're in on? 

247 has them:

Justice Finkley

Jaray Bledsoe

KJ Miles

Kris Ross

Zac Swanson

Keahnist Thompson

That is obviously not how we have them ranked. We don't even have a spot for KJ Miles and it sounds like we like Keahnist Thompson a lot - probably because he is a very good athlete. Plus, they are grouping all the DL together even though they will play different positions on our defense.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Take it FWIW, but Robertson has been locked into Texas for some time and unless something changed very recently he’s coming according to those close to him. 

I can’t remember the last time we lost a Westlake kid that we really wanted.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I can’t remember the last time we lost a Westlake kid that we really wanted.

I'm not sure what our depth chart looked like back in the day, but we should have probably wanted Drew Brees.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

On Levi, didn’t we kick his older brother out of school?   I don’t recall us recruiting the other one that hard, but that was near the low point of my enthusiasm for the program, so I wasn’t following this stuff as closely as I typically do.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

On Levi, didn’t we kick his older brother out of school?   I don’t recall us recruiting the other one that hard, but that was near the low point of my enthusiasm for the program, so I wasn’t following this stuff as closely as I typically do.

We did, but we wanted Levi. Transition year shit.

Zabie was a bullet dodged, Levi grad fucked around and transferred to NC State.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

(Super K) Terrance Brooks | Decision Incoming | Update

Spoiler

***Only a few hours after I posted my update on Terrance Brooks, Brooks tweeted out that he has a big announcement set for today at 3 pm.

***We do believe it is a commitment.

***In the update I posted just before his tweet, I said the following (here)…

I’m currently on the road. I’ll have more on this later but wanted to pass along a note on the top 2022 DB target in the state – Terrance Brooks.

As you know, Brooks took an OV to Texas recently. He is also coming off visits to Ohio State and Alabama.

I thought Alabama may have sealed things up this past weekend but apparently, that is not necessarily the case.

I’m told that the Texas OV actually went better than the Alabama OV. That doesn’t mean he will necessarily end up in Texas but it does tell me that Texas remains in this one.

***So, let me expand on this a bit…

***Prior to Brooks’ receiving his recent Ohio State offer, we had reported it was likely down to Texas and Alabama and I had Alabama in the lead.

***Once he received the offer from the Buckeyes, he immediately set up that visit. I’m told it was a dream offer of his and I know Kerry Coombs is a very persuasive coach with an incredible resume.

***The Ohio State visit followed the Texas visit. His final official visit was to Alabama.

***The big thing I heard after his official visit to Texas was that he didn’t expect to like it nearly as much as he did.

***After the visit, Brooks’ father said, “Texas OV was great! Sark, Joseph and the gang did a great job recruiting my young pup”

***Apparently the Texas visit went so well that after the Alabama OV, as noted earlier, the Texas OV outdid the Alabama OV.

***The question is whether the OV experience is enough to fight off the Tide and coach Saban.

***I know there is some talk of Ohio State trending. All I can go off of is my source who seems to believe it’s between Texas and Alabama. I’m not discounting anyone because we don’t know Brooks’ decision but we are following a source on this one.

***As I said yesterday, Texas remains in this one. It’s hard to bet against Nick Saban but that move Texas pulled with Jamarion Miller was pretty amazing. I was becoming a bit bearish on Sark and their recruiting efforts but that Jamarion Miller pull and the speed at which they pulled it made me take a step back.

***Brooks has told me in the past that he’s keen on playing early and his chances of doing so at Texas are much higher than they are at Alabama.

***Because of Saban, you always feel like you have to hedge their direction but neither move would surprise me.

***I’d maybe go 45-55 Bama.

***Should Texas follow that Jamarion pull by landing Brooks, my bearish signals are going to turn pretty hard bullish.

So on Brooks, it seems like our 9.95ers all think it's a 50/50 toss-up, but anecdotally from what's been shared, it seems like Bama 9.95ers don't expect it to be them. Is that a fair summary?

Also, supposedly OB said yesterday they heard from a few sources that don't expect it to be Bama if it's a commitment (which it appears to be)

I do wonder about tOSU sneaking in. If Brooks is all about NFL development, they've got a good case. That would suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

So on Brooks, it seems like our 9.95ers all think it's a 50/50 toss-up, but anecdotally from what's been shared, it seems like Bama 9.95ers don't expect it to be them. Is that a fair summary?

Also, supposedly OB said yesterday they heard from a few sources that don't expect it to be Bama if it's a commitment (which it appears to be)

I do wonder about tOSU sneaking in. If Brooks is all about NFL development, they've got a good case. That would suck.

Yeah I have tOSU on the back of my mind here due to the current uncertainty from all the 9.95ers

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Cancun for a week will do that to a man. Every other time I’ve checked this thread I’ve either been all drunk or half asleep. I may need to do some re-reading 

Quick bit of advice, if you come across a post discussing cheese, hot wings, or vaccines, just go ahead and skip ahead 4-5 pages

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

In my opinion, it just means that Bama mods are used to knowing whether or not a recruit with pick Bama, and they don't know this time because he hasn't informed anyone. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting