Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Now do Devon Campbell

Trey Allen in 2007. 

14 minutes ago, elguapo said:

So I was curious when was the last time we signed an OL as highly ranked as Banks and you have to go all the way back to Mason Walters in the '09 class (247 composite). The last 5 star OL we signed was Darius James in 2013.

hmm I'm starting to think getting a 5* OL is not the biggest deal. Or maybe it was just the OL we picked.

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Trey Allen in 2007. 

hmm I'm starting to think getting a 5* OL is not the biggest deal. Or maybe it was just the OL we picked.

Who was our OL coach in 2013? Not being snarky - I honestly can't find a name. 

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Trey Allen in 2007. 

Our four stars were equally as underwhelming. At one point, I did a full recon on all of the 4 and 5 star bust linemen we had between the last few years of Mack and the beginning of Herman, and it was one of the worst indictments of both our coaching and the recruit rankings. It was also extremely depressing. 

I still contend that OL is the most difficult position to project from HS, outside of the few freaks of nature (e.g. Leonard Davis) that show up each year. I just can't put as much stock into the evals on that position group as the skill position guys. It's pretty easy to project a RB with a zillion yards rushing or a DT who is demolishing everything in his wake. But OL, not so much. Most of the $9.95ers aren't as qualified to make that call. As much as I hate the, "trust the coaches" mantra, this is one case where it's probably best to do so. As long as you have a competent OL coach, that is.

• Hook 'Em 2

I just found the post... from 2018. *****WARNING: THIS IS DEPRESSING/IRRITATING AS HELL******

have completely given up projecting and evaluating OL. I'm pretty sure watching Tray Allen's HS film and trying to reconcile it to his college career cured me of that fool's errand for good.

Look at the 4 and 5 star busts we stockpiled for years with disastrous results, only to finally field a competent line for the first time in a decade comprised of: a 2 star LT transfer from fucking Rice, a 3 star C who we snatched last minute from Kansas State (other offers: Army, ASU and Cincinatti), a 3 star G who was a Wickline special who's best offer was Colorado (other offers: Arkansas State, Arizona State and Fresno State), another 3 star T who looks like a future all conference player and was a late addition to Herman's transition class (offered by Memphis, Houston and TCU), and Patrick Vahe (the only 4 star of the bunch and arguably its weakest link). And the next best player we have on the Oline is Kerstetter, another 3 star who Herman pulled from Okie State with competing offers from juggernauts Bowling Green, Colorado State and Houston.

In the meantime, here are the 4 and 5 star OL we recruited between 2007 and 2016. This list is more stomach turning than Vic's POF thread:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

• Rage+1 5

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Our four stars were equally as underwhelming. At one point, I did a full recon on all of the 4 and 5 star bust linemen we had between the last few years of Mack and the beginning of Herman, and it was one of the worst indictments of both our coaching and the recruit rankings. It was also extremely depressing. 

I still contend that OL is the most difficult position to project from HS, outside of the few freaks of nature (e.g. Leonard Davis) that show up each year. I just can't put as much stock into the evals on that position group as the skill position guys. It's pretty easy to project a RB with a zillion yards rushing or a DT who is demolishing everything in his wake. But OL, not so much. Most of the $9.95ers aren't as qualified to make that call. As much as I hate the, "trust the coaches" mantra, this is one case where it's probably best to do so. As long as you have a competent OL coach, that is.

It's obvious, but coaching matters. Searels was okay, Mattox was okay, McWhorter, Nunez, Warehime, Hand were all fucking trash. Like, we've had some of the worst OL coaching in P5 history over the last 23 seasons. Just abysmal turds doing abysmal shit.

Flood has a proven track record and is one of the best in the country. If he doesn't get it done here, we need to figure out who we need to sacrifice in order to undo the voodoo curse that that bitch Marie Laveau must have put on our ass for sending Mackovic packing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's obvious, but coaching matters. Searels was okay, Mattox was okay, McWhorter, Nunez, Warehime, Hand were all fucking trash. Like, we've had some of the worst OL coaching in P5 history over the last 23 seasons. Just abysmal turds doing abysmal shit.

Flood has a proven track record and is one of the best in the country. If he doesn't get it done here, we need to figure out who we need to sacrifice in order to undo the voodoo curse that that bitch Marie Laveau must have put on our ass for sending Mackovic packing.

You forgot Wickline.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wickline. You forgot Wickline who was a genius in Stillwater but complete garbage here, notwithstanding the awful talent he inherited and the Shawn Watson/Charlie Strong anchor attached to his leg.

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

You forgot Wickline.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wickline. You forgot Wickline who was a genius in Stillwater but complete garbage here, notwithstanding the awful talent he inherited and the Shawn Watson/Charlie Strong anchor attached to his leg.

What's he doing this year? he left/got fired from Baylor right?

also Texas Athletics needs to take down their old web pages

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-wickline/1097

17 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I will never forget Wickline simply due to this

ImageImage

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I just found the post... from 2018. *****WARNING: THIS IS DEPRESSING/IRRITATING AS HELL******

I want to thank you for digging this up. I remember when I read it the first time, and the vomiting convulsions it caused me to endure. Thank you again. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin Note:

I get the enticement to take a bag- I really do- and I don't blame anyone for doing it.  But, if you do that your relationship is likely to be more transactional in nature.  I think that ignoring the networking possibilities that exist at a flagship school in the best or second best state in the union to make money post playing career is something that short sighted people do. I have no qualms with kids signing with Texas A&M to be part of the aggy network. It's not as good as the Texas network but it does work.  But, if UT has it's shit together in NIL, and we are doing good work with mentoring, Texas Forever and whatever else we are doing to plug athletes into a successful post playing network, the value prop for taking advantage of that is off the fucking charts.  Also, the good thing about building inducements like that is that if the person is smart enough to get it they are probably your kind of person that you want, and if they don't get it then that might be a bullet dodged.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to operate like this, and I've come around to the idea that if the NCAA has zero interest in enforcement and everyone else is engaged in payola that it's not moral of us to abstain- it's stupid- but I like reading stuff like this and it's an overwhelming advantage that we have over dipshits from irrelevant states in the SEC, and if we can't take advantage of that and clearly and compellingly make the case for this then shame on us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get the enticement to take a bag- I really do- and I don't blame anyone for doing it.  But, if you do that your relationship is likely to be more transactional in nature.  I think that ignoring the networking possibilities that exist at a flagship school in the best or second best state in the union to make money post playing career is something that short sighted people do. I have no qualms with kids signing with Texas A&M to be part of the aggy network. It's not as good as the Texas network but it does work.  But, if UT has it's shit together in NIL, and we are doing good work with mentoring, Texas Forever and whatever else we are doing to plug athletes into a successful post playing network, the value prop for taking advantage of that is off the fucking charts.  Also, the good thing about building inducements like that is that if the person is smart enough to get it they are probably your kind of person that you want, and if they don't get it then that might be a bullet dodged.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to operate like this, and I've come around to the idea that if the NCAA has zero interest in enforcement and everyone else is engaged in payola that it's not moral of us to abstain- it's stupid- but I like reading stuff like this and it's an overwhelming advantage that we have over dipshits from irrelevant states in the SEC, and if we can't take advantage of that and clearly and compellingly make the case for this then shame on us. 

All in for paying prospects too, especially if it's sop.  But if it's only the money that they commit to, then there was no love anyways and the next suitor with more bags or when it becomes inconvenient, they're gone.  Add tampering along with the portal and there has to be more than money for retention.  Aggy bought a NJ pipeline and they're still not failing upwards.  NIL should be another weapon in the Texas arsenal.  I wonder if aggy ups enrollment, if this could conceivably bring in more NIL money since they'll have more alumni?  Whatever the case, the formula will also always involve win and develop, which Texas needs to return to.  Money should just be the lubrication that keeps the wheels turning.  Or I could just be wrong in trying to simplify this, especially when family is involved.    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

All in for paying prospects too, especially if it's sop.  But if it's only the money that they commit to, then there was no love anyways and the next suitor with more bags or when it becomes inconvenient, they're gone.  Add tampering along with the portal and there has to be more than money for retention.  Aggy bought a NJ pipeline and they're still not failing upwards.  NIL should be another weapon in the Texas arsenal.  I wonder if aggy ups enrollment, if this could conceivably bring in more NIL money since they'll have more alumni?  Whatever the case, the formula will also always involve win and develop, which Texas needs to return to.  Money should just be the lubrication that keeps the wheels turning.  Or I could just be wrong in trying to simplify this, especially when family is involved.    

No, I think this is the take that makes sense. It basically should start with building relationship and mind share, move on to long term opportunities to be a part of the family through those relationships, and not let the idea of a bag from someone else get in the way of a recruit following their inclination to go here if that's their inclination.  

44 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bama Rivals mod forecasted Brooks to them two days ago.  Also did the same for Abor.

CTJ and insidetexas both alluded to a number crunch for Alabama and questioned whether they would have room for Brooks. Have to think Harris would factor in oto that math. 

If they are ready to take Brooks hopefully that means they aren’t feeling good about Denver at least.

Wells

Spoiler

OL Cam Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX) - 2022:

Less than 48 hours until the 6-foot-5, 360-pound offensive giant announces his decision. He tells IT he's ready, and after his official visit to Texas over the weekend, the Horns are in great shape.

“It was really good,” said Williams, about his Austin visit. “(Texas staff) were all amazing. The coaches and players really stood out. It's big a family."

Williams took full advantage of the lifted dead period and tripped across the country. With 31 offers in hand, it came down to Texas, Miami, OU, and Oregon.

Each offered positives that the Williams' family gathered, but staying close to home is often the winning recipe. As I've said, the thought of UT going into Duncanville and nabbing one of their top prospects seemed unlikely six months ago. When Williams told IT in March he really wanted to hear from the Longhorns, the candle was lit.

He's releasing his Top 3 schools later this evening and fully expect Texas to be represented.

On July 1st, we'll know if Kyle Flood and the UT coaches have the correct ingredients. I can see them start cooking very soon.

ATH Trey Fite, Tatum (Tatum, TX) - 2022

One of those underrated products in the piney woods, the multi-sport athlete hit the ATX last week.

“Texas was awesome," said Fite. "The coaches seemed really cool and engaged in the athletes. The facilities and campus was nice."

At 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, the EDGE from east Texas holds 13 offers including Arkansas, Houston, Washington State, and Kansas State. He tallied 63 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, six sacks, and three pass breakups in 2020.

He was vital in Tatum Basketball's 25-4 record and 3A state basketball championship game appearance as a junior. He also excels in track and field with a 6'0 high jump and running first leg of the Eagles state-qualifying 4x400 relay. He certainly keeps busy.

“I did play 7v7 this year, but we didn't qualify for state," Fite said. "And I played AAU basketball."

Fite is your prototypical project take, especially with his size and ability. Texas likes him, but to what degree remains to be seen. Check back in September.

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

So I was curious when was the last time we signed an OL as highly ranked as Banks and you have to go all the way back to Mason Walters in the '09 class (247 composite). The last 5 star OL we signed was Darius James in 2013.

I have a family member who coached Mason when he was in high school. Talk about a grown ass man among boys playing against the competition out in west Texas. He also coached David Thomas when he was in high school (same school - Frenship) who was also a man among boys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's going to be ridiculous how much money some of the incoming players are going to make via the NIL, especially with Texas being the biggest brand (by far) in college sports ---- a brand that will only get bigger if Sark gets this team on a roll. 

Just spit balling, but is it possible that some of  them will make so much money as college players that they're be effectively set for life (if they are wise with their money) and decide to forego professional careers?  I mean, you make 3-4 million dollars as a college player and you have deals going forward, you're still young and healthy ... why risk CRT and/or permanent, crippling injuries when you could stay in a great situation in a town like Austin?  Sure, you're missing out on the 10s of millions that would come your way if you're one of the best NFL players, but you also don't take a chance that you'll end up crippled and arthritic like Earl Campbell. 

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It's going to be ridiculous how much money some of the incoming players are going to make via the NIL, especially with Texas being the biggest brand (by far) in college sports ---- a brand that will only get bigger if Sark gets this team on a roll. 

Just spit balling, but is it possible that some of  them will make so much money as college players that they're be effectively set for life (if they are wise with their money) and decide to forego professional careers?  I mean, you make 3-4 million dollars as a college player and you have deals going forward, you're still young and healthy ... why risk CRT and/or permanent, crippling injuries when you could stay in a great situation in a town like Austin?  Sure, you're missing out on the 10s of millions that would come your way if you're one of the best NFL players, but you also don't take a chance that you'll end up crippled and arthritic like Earl Campbell. 

Given this logic, there would be a decent number of NFL players who quit after their first contract.  Most guys good enough to make it that far want to keep playing.  Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson are anomalies for calling it quits at 30.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

While that would be really cool, I feel like the 3-4 players that could wind up in that category are likely very good at what they do. If you build up years of expertise in something and prepare your whole life to do that at a professional level, you probably have either a massive chip on your shoulder or the true spirit of a competitor. My sense is that someone with either persona and that level of skill is not going to forego going to the NFL, even if it is for a short stint. To your point though, maybe positions that face more wear and tear (RB, DL etc.) see shorter careers because even if you bust in the NFL, you probably made a good chunk of money in college.

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I doubt this, but what might happen is that projected mid-late round draft picks might stay in school another year. 

But I agree with you that future recruits are going to be making so much money at Texas that other schools are going to look a lot less attractive. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting