Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Devils advocate here. Aggy will have NIL money to add to the bag also. I’ll concede to the premise that Austin can provide a more NiL opportunities than CS. At the end of the day though, per your own numbers bag money only has to match 75% of NIL money. May be the amounts are so high at some point it won’t matter but I’m not there yet. Something to be said for cash in hand vs waiting a year also. 

and don’t get me wrong, I certainly hope the UT model is the one the top players migrate to I just know that schools like aggy will not concede the Austin NIL advantage.  Their bags will increase too.  Will the NIL route be enough?  Still unanswered in my opinion  

ducking for CTJ to tell me how I have no critical thinking skills  

I think the difference is that bags can cover costs for a few players, while our NIL (and expanded opportunities as listed by SC) can cover costs for ALL players. We may miss out on a few for the reason you suggest, but I suspect that the discretionary nature of our NIL funds -- and the additional opportunities they will have in Austin to add to their NIL commitment -- we won't be behind on very many. Plus we will be the frontrunners for so many more players across the board that a few misses won't hurt much. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As soon as Patterson is gone they understand their place in the world almost immediately. Have to admit, he had that institution punching way above their weight for a very long time. So have to give the sweat monster props for that at least.

Which is ironic, because his favorite past time off the field was punching on females well below his weight. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yes, it's a lot. The plan is ultimately to endow every position at Texas for every athletic program, following logic and a model similar to the Longhorn Foundation, which is the collegiate gold standard and rivaled by damned near none.

Few schools have all of the advantages Texas has, including powerful, interested, and ridiculously wealthy boosters in spades (not just one or two), as well as large, aflluent and interested middle and lower layers of an alumni and fanbase too. This is weaponizing things through competitive advantages in spite of the AD, which should have been helping with this years ago, and has instead done nothing but whine. 

This will wind up being a $300million endowment down the line if some of this stuff comes together and the initial target is half of that. Football players will eventually be making legitimate money at Texas even as 3rd stringers. 

I told one of my buddies at Bama about this yesterday and asked him about their end. He said "For one, we're not anywhere near any of that in planning. That's you guys catching Oregon. For two, no, and you know it. We cannot post $100million+ to endow all of the positions and you know that."

Expect numerous former athletes to participate, including the likes of Ford and Durant. I'm sure guys like VY are a given. 

Should have replied...Yeah I know I just like hearing you say it.  

50 minutes ago, deech said:

I'm no bagman fan - but honest question.  $100K/yr via NIL is going to be taxed, right?  Stewart's $300K+ won't ever be taxed.

I guess that is true but the IRS letting a 25K slide in the past to several 100K slide in the future is probably not going to last. Especially if motivated longhorn agents work for the IRS.

1-gangster-al-capone-smoking-cigar-bettm

13 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Devils advocate here. Aggy will have NIL money to add to the bag also. I’ll concede to the premise that Austin can provide a more NiL opportunities than CS. At the end of the day though, per your own numbers bag money only has to match 75% of NIL money. May be the amounts are so high at some point it won’t matter but I’m not there yet. Something to be said for cash in hand vs waiting a year also. 

and don’t get me wrong, I certainly hope the UT model is the one the top players migrate to I just know that schools like aggy will not concede the Austin NIL advantage.  Their bags will increase too.  

But here's the deal: NIL was always going to separate the haves from the have nots. If we aren't playing the game with one hand tied behind our backs, aggy can't touch us. They don't have to like it.

15 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Should have replied...Yeah I know I just like hearing you say it.  

Ha, that's pretty much exactly what I said. This one is a UT alum, so it's not like he's broken up about it anyway. I got a text today from him today linking the story with the following comment: "JFC"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, here we go. 

His 300k might not be taxed. And yes, his NIL money will be taxed. But even assuming 4 years (maybe 5 now) and a 25% tax rate, he's at net even. Plus all the other NIL deals he can make at Texas. Say, another one that sponsors WR. Say, all that Tik Tok money. Say he's a stud and gets a car dealership deal. Do you know how many car dealerships there are in Austin versus College Station? I fucking do. He could walk out of Texas at worst with the same as aTm AFTER he pays taxes, and he could also walk out of Texas worth 2 million. He can't do that in College Station. 

Guess you’ve never heard of the AggyNetwork. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assume this plays into potential assistant coaching hires as well, as recruiting won't be as important going forward as coaching ability.  Still have to have guys that pull their weight respectively of course, but won't need the pure rainmakers.  Makes more sense why we didn't go full on to get Samples.

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

"I get regularly fucked by my head coach's offensive philosophy. So if you're gonna get fucked by a man whose wife gets around, make sure to use protection. Make him wear durex"

Late candidate for post of the year... 
I thank you for the laugh.  My monitor at work though, after I spewed coffee, is highly pissed.

2 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

I assume this plays into potential assistant coaching hires as well, as recruiting won't be as important going forward as coaching ability.  Still have to have guys that pull their weight respectively of course, but won't need the pure rainmakers.  Makes more sense why we didn't go full on to get Samples.

I'd still prefer to have coaches that can both coach and recruit. And I don't think this has anything to do with Samples

7 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

You cant just sit back and fire money at kids all day. You have to evaluate, kids want to win, and you have to sell the vision. It will still be hard work, and if we get a coach Mack Browning it circa 2010 in recruiting because of this we should have zero tolerance for that. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lol. Except it's a moot point because the guys being called into the office first are already fucking fired. So they can take whatever fucking satisfaction they want from their "You can't fire me, I quit!" moment but it don't make a fucking shit. They're still unemployed. 

There is plenty that deserve to be fired but my concern is for the few that are being scapegoated due to the incompetence that I suggested. For instance Coburn should have been out long ago. Some of those other guys on the line were asked to do things that do not properly use their talents.

Edited by DanTheHorn

45 minutes ago, Nivek said:

UT really is missing the boat here on this.  With such an excellent business school, I am certain they could assign a few students to map out a plan for each player as part of a project.  

This is a great idea, and I’ll do my best to raise it with the the McCombs admin / coordinators.  There is already a precedent for similar programs where students get credit to provide consulting and other services to businesses and start up projects, such as Texas Venture Labs, Venture Fellows, etc.  It’s a win win for everyone. 

Only hiccup might be getting through compliance whether or not these services constitute payments, but I’m not knowledgeable enough to make a call there.  

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'd still prefer to have coaches that can both coach and recruit. And I don't think this has anything to do with Samples

i mean all the best recruiters were the ones with the bags, you really think some kid just loves talking to Tim Brewster and Jeff Banks about stuff and things?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

This is a great idea, and I’ll do my best to raise it with the the McCombs admin / coordinators.  There is already a precedent for similar programs where students get credit to provide consulting and other services to businesses and start up projects, such as Texas Venture Labs, Venture Fellows, etc.  It’s a win win for everyone. 

Only hiccup might be getting through compliance whether or not these services constitute payments, but I’m not knowledgeable enough to make a call there.  

Create a "shark tank" program. Have UT entrepreneurs and successful businesspeople listen to ideas from student athletes. Say a student athlete has a great computer idea that Michael Dell really likes. He can offer that student a summer internship for say $50k for that student to work for Dell during the summer to use Dell's resources to develop that idea. The opportunities are limitless, and I don't believe that any school in the country can compete with UT in this arena.

• Hook 'Em 1

1.) They're not missing the boat. It's legally required.

2.) The org just announced it's formation about an hour ago, for fuck's sake. Are you "missing the boat." when you don't have your teeth brushed 30 seconds after waking up?

I realize the timing of my comment would make it seem like I am talking about NIL, but actually I was referring to historically.   I know the NFL does this, but having some UT fanboy business grad help VY design a program or understand what the contract really pays could have helped him and others.   

3 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Create a "shark tank" program. Have UT entrepreneurs and successful businesspeople listen to ideas from student athletes. Say a student athlete has a great computer idea that Michael Dell really likes. He can offer that student a summer internship for say $50k for that student to work for Dell during the summer to use Dell's resources to develop that idea. The opportunities are limitless, and I don't believe that any school in the country can compete with UT in this arena.

Lulz at Dell using money/resources on a student athlete’s shitty “computer idea”. They’ll probably use that money on a student that could code before they could talk. 

15 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

Lol. No idea if this is really professor Chesney, but, if not, well done on the name. If actually professor Chesney, props to you for posting and contributing to Burnt Ends.

• Hook 'Em 5

56 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Look y'all, I just took my second dose of prep for my upcoming colonoscopy today, so my stomach is already not feeling well, so would you fuckers please stop talking about Plonsky having sex?

Just the worse shit in the world. Good luck and hope for good results 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I realize the timing of my comment would make it seem like I am talking about NIL, but actually I was referring to historically.   I know the NFL does this, but having some UT fanboy business grad help VY design a program or understand what the contract really pays could have helped him and others.   

Imagine is part of the money NIL is put in an investment fund for the players. Just check a box to put 0-100% of it in the NIL Investment Trust. That would really help set habits that can change their lives. I know that maybe harder to sell and might back fire, but it would be beneficial. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

There is plenty that deserve to be fired but my concern is for the few that are being scapegoated due to the incompetence that I suggested. For instance Coburn should have been out long ago. Some of those other guys on the line were asked to do things that do not properly use their talents.

Yeah, but I don't think there's going to be many left after the culling to point fingers man. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Imagine is part of the money NIL is put in an investment fund for the players. Just check a box to put 0-100% of it in the NIL Investment Trust. That would really help set habits that can change their lives. I know that maybe harder to sell and might back fire, but it would be beneficial. 

I think you're onto some of the challenges here. A 4 year time horizon is pretty short. You could give them the option to keep it invested post graduation and that would alleviate the concerns about risk levels. Having worked at Fidelity for several years I can tell you it's nearly impossible to teach new money how to hold onto that money. Especially when they come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Whoever the advisor is is going to have a hell of a time convincing some of those kids to think about 40-50 years from now rather than next weekend. 

16 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Sending someone to work at Dell willingly is not something I would do to my worst enemy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Financial literacy classes have to be given thought. Especially when the uncles show up with hands out. Hey nephew don’t forget your cousins type BS. Also don’t go showing up to practice with a 2022 dodge hellcat or BMW M5 shit 

Yeah, if I own a jewelry store in Austin, I've got a big boner today.

• Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting