Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hudson Card showed flashes but didn’t put it all together and also managed to incur a multi-week injury in limited action. While he demonstrated more ability than many thought with his opportunities, he also quietly revealed a poor knack for protecting himself.

what in the world

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Texas does not need immediate starting help on the OL. Hudson Card demonstrated more ability than many expected. The interior DL was solid.

Ian Boyd now has me questioning whether or not I watched Texas at all

That is the definition of sunshine pumping and passing out the Kool Aid.  So based on that article we have a good roster and good players at OL, DL, LB, QB etc...  I am not going to pretend to be a coach or analyst but I am pretty confident that moving Jett Bush or Roschon Johnson to LB is not going to solve our LB issues.  Same goes for moving Whittington to Safety.  First time he hits a guy he will get injured.  I can't believe Ian Boyd actually gets paid to write that shit.

• Like 1

While a few of the statement's Boyd made were head scratching, I agree with his overall premise of needs.

Improving edge play and getting our linebacker play to just an average level through current guys, freshman and portal dudes is #1 and #2 on my priority list. Seeing just a slight bump in play in those two spots is likely worth a couple of wins next year. Getting a portal QB in here and a reliable WR to help take pressure off Worthy are probably both tied for #3 for me. Finding at least one interior OL and one tackle is #4. They don't have to be world beaters, but just dudes who can raise the floor of the room and create competition with what we currently have. Finding a badass blocking TE who can replace Brewer and help open up lanes in the running game is #5 for me just because I think this entire offseason needs to be centered around making this team Bijan friendly.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

While a few of the statement's Boyd made were head scratching, I agree with his overall premise of needs.

Improving edge play and getting our linebacker play to just an average level through current guys, freshman and portal dudes is #1 and #2 on my priority list. Seeing just a slight bump in play in those two spots is likely worth a couple of wins next year. Getting a portal QB in here and a reliable WR to help take pressure off Worthy are probably both tied for #3 for me. Finding at least one interior OL and one tackle is #4. They don't have to be world beaters, but just dudes who can raise the floor of the room and create competition with what we currently have. Finding a badass blocking TE who can replace Brewer and help open up lanes in the running game is #5 for me just because I think this entire offseason needs to be centered around making this team Bijan friendly.

We need multiple offensive tackles and I would put that as our #1 priority for the offseason. I would take four via some combo of recruiting and portal, but we need an absolute minimum of three. QB is a close #2, WR is a close #3. In other words, we are proper fucked if we don't see a major infusion of impact guys. 

On Defense, Edge is clear #1 need followed by a close #2 of LB and a #3 of safety. In other words, we are proper fucked if we don't see a major infusion of impact guys. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

I can see the OL comments.  Play was improved over the back half of the season.  Things got steadier.  We return 3 starters and Karic and Conner got serious playing time.

Also might want to listen to Tope Imade on the Hornscast podcast.  Interesting comments on Flood and OL coaching.

Tope Imade podcast interview

Tope definitely thinks Flood is the right guy - said he learned more under Flood in one year than he had in all of his career on the 40 acres.

3 minutes ago, burdine said:

I can see the OL comments.  Play was improved over the back half of the season.  Things got steadier.  We return 3 starters and Karic and Conner got serious playing time.

Also might want to listen to Tope Imade on the Hornscast podcast.  Interesting comments on Flood and OL coaching.

If Jones is our LT again next year we’re in trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

He did adjust his scheme a few different times. The results didn't change.

We need to make changes but im not completely hopeless concerning the defensive staff. We played really well at different points in the season. Iowa st first half, Oklahoma state first three quarters, Baylor first half, and K-State were all pretty solid. That shows me that for the most part they are good with initial game planning, but they also displayed that they are laughably inept with making in-game adjustments and thats what's most concerning. There is a sliver of hope that continuity would help them in that regard but im not gonna lose sleep if any of them get the axe. What they did this year was unacceptable for this university.

I do agree that competent edge play and pass rush solves the majority of our defensive issues, id add in safety play to that as well.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tope definitely thinks Flood is the right guy - said he learned more under Flood in one year than he had in all of his career on the 40 acres.

And he turned out to be serviceable which hadn't been the case his entire career. I was pleasantly surprised by his play after he settled in.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Christian Jones potentially starting at LT again isn't in my top 5 list of concerns for next year position wise. That's not to say he wasn't good at times this past year but there are much bigger issues.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Christian Jones potentially starting at LT again isn't in my top 5 list of concerns for next year position wise. That's not to say he wasn't good at times this past year but there are much bigger issues.

I remember watching the spring game and yelling "Dammit Christian. Block someone, anyone!" People around me were not amused. 

Fuck them. I'm still waiting for that motherfucker to block someone.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If getting better protection for Bijan and our QB isn’t Sark’s top priority, then we are totally fucked. 

I'm not doubting that Roshcon wouldn't be a good LB but I do think people are underestimating his abilities as a RB. Great blocker, good pass catcher, powerful runner with a  great 1 cut ability. All that with honestly not a ton of experience at the position and a shit OL to run behind.

He’s way too valuable as a piece in the overall RB room to flip to a project LB. You don’t hamstring one of the few bona fide strengths of the team for marginal improvement of another group.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Play improved in November because all the best opposing fronts were in September/October.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

You're an aggy. You wouldn't be thrilled.

Da fuq?  I've got 2 diplomas from the 40 Acres...I've never attended a football game in kyle field.  The only time I've spent more than 5 minutes in college station in the last 15 years was last year about this time when I had to drive down to pick up a bicycle for my daughter from "santa".  

Just because I'm assuming that Dewberry goes aggy, along with the recent string of others they've landed, doesn't mean i'm an aggy.  

I guess I can PM you my TexasExes Lifetime Member ID# to prove you wrong?

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What did the humidor article say about how the Washington staff operated?

They're still hung up on Patterson coming to Texas.

Eric Nahlin: Rumblings of Gary Patterson joining Texas in some capacity

IT is hearing rumblings Gary Patterson will join Texas in some capacity. The fabled TCU coach was let-go midseason after choosing pine box over parade. That was a very Gary Patterson way to go out. As soon as he was out speculation emerged regarding him ending up at Texas. The connection of course being his close relationship to Texas AD Chris Del Conte. Those two are so close many suspected Del Conte would never leave TCU while Patterson was still the head coach.

Given his first in-season freedom in eons, Patterson was soon spotted in Austin. Sources quieted that down by saying there was nothing to Patterson and Texas. We were tracking it just in case, but then @BobbyBurton heard Patterson coming to Texas was very unlikely. This is from Bobby this a.m.: “A mea culpa on my part. Two and a half weeks ago, Coach Patterson told someone I trust that he wouldn’t be going anywhere next year, that he wasn’t “moving.” That being said, things can and do change.“

Indeed, at the time I also heard it was just too close to his TCU tenure for Patterson to assume a role at Texas, a school he relished in beating while captain of the Horned Frogs. As Bobby said, things can and do change. It probably didn’t sit well when SMU’s head coach was assigned Patterson’s office.

But still, Gary Patterson and Texas? Yesterday IT asked someone extremely close to Patterson if they could see him at Texas. His response, “Yes. He would take a DC job where he thinks he could win national championship.” Say what you will about UT’s chances to win a National Championship under Steve Sarkisian, but IT knows Patterson thinks highly of UT’s head coach. If this does happen, two first-order questions remain: 1. Is this something Sark truly wants, and 2., what role would Patterson assume?

1. We’re not sure about Sark’s feelings but we know he’ll have the money to get it done if he wants to. This is the big question remaining.

2. We’ve heard potential roles being everything from analyst to being in charge of the whole defense. We think analyst is highly unlikely and would be a foolish move.

To be clear, we have heard of no current defensive coaches being removed and it’s conceivable Patterson‘s know-how in the back-end could be married to Pete Kwiatkowski’s defensive front. Patterson would also bring some much-needed toughness and aggression to the program, not unlike Will Muschamp in 2008. It remains to be seen if this goes through, and exactly what his role would be, but the title is certainly accurate.

6 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Da fuq?  I've got 2 diplomas from the 40 Acres...I've never attended a football game in kyle field.  The only time I've spent more than 5 minutes in college station in the last 15 years was last year about this time when I had to drive down to pick up a bicycle for my daughter from "santa".  

Just because I'm assuming that Dewberry goes aggy, along with the recent string of others they've landed, doesn't mean i'm an aggy.  

I guess I can PM you my TexasExes Lifetime Member ID# to prove you wrong?

Then post better.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting