Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike at Night: Late night Thursday recruiting notes

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Late night Thursday recruiting notes

Mike Roach

— I reached out to a source near four-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. Texas went in home with the Atascocita mauler tonight as the Longhorns try to close on one of several offensive line targets on their board. I was told the visit went "very well", and this source said the end of this recruitment will be an "interesting outcome." Texas saved Steve Sarkisian's one in-home opportunity for next week. Dewberry released a Top 3 today with Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M. With the upheaval at Oklahoma and the uncertainty about where Bill Bedenbaugh will land, the belief is that Dewberry will have to land at Texas or Texas A&M. Texas will keep pushing here as they try to assemble talent on the offensive line in the 2022 class.

— The Longhorns went out to Louisiana this week to see four-star St. James (LA.) Shazz Preston. With the wide receiver board in somewhat of a crisis mode following the losses of Evan Stewart and Matthew Golden, the push to get Preston will be important. LSU remains a strong contender, but Tigers' wide receiver coach Mickey Joseph has been rumored to be headed to Nebraska to fill their wide receiver position. Texas is pushing Preston to let him know how much opportunity he would have to play immediately and how much he's needed in the class. It seems like there's still some work to be done here, but Texas coaches aren't giving in.

— Coaches on the road give the staff the ability to find new names and evaluate new targets. Jeff Banks stopped by New Caney High School today. The Houston-area program is home to 2023 running back Kedrick Reescano, and I was told the Texas staff showed quite a bit of interest in the four-star running back. Reescano ran for 1945 yards and 25 touchdowns this year and is emerging as a top running back candidate. I'm told that Steve Sarkisian and Stan Drayton are expected to stop by next week and there's a belief from those at New Caney that Reescano could pick up an offer from the Longhorns soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

Agree with this.  If the offense can add 3 good OL I would be happy.  Spending a bunch of money on Mims from OK would be perfect to go with X.  Not sure what we can bring in on D but with some good OL we can finally start to build a real team again.  What we really need is to get Elon Musk on board with UT football.  I would have no problem with naming the field Elon Musk Field if he starts throwing big money around to our recruits.  Free Teslas, cash and rocket ship rides into space for everybody!
With SpaceX near bankruptcy and the not so small matter of Elon Musk not attending UT or giving 2 shits about American football? That would be quite a feat getting him to drop field naming money on the program..

and the not so small matter of Elon Musk not attending UT or giving 2 shits about American football?

Yah, seems the poster missed the part where you’d first need to get a guy like Elon on board with UT football before he’d actually be willing to drop money on the program… wait no, they actually did mention that.
Probably a longshot, or maybe it’s not. It’s not a stretch to imagine his “newfound” philanthropy finding some future connection to the university at the educational level, which can at the least get him close.
Regardless of any of that, our athletic department would be committing malpractice if they weren’t exploring the avenue of having the richest man on the fucking planet in their backyard. Hell, maybe they’ve already been shot down.

Updated EE List:

Commits:

Maalik Murphy
Jaydon Blue
Champ Lewis
Brenen Thompson
Justice Finkley
Bryan Allen Jr
Jaray Bledsoe
Anthony Jones
Cole Hutson
Aaron Bryant
Jaylon Guilbeau

Targets:
Larry Turner-Gooden
Jason Llewellyn
Neto Umeozulu

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Texas is in the Andy Dufresne having to crawl through shit phase now. Unfortunately, there’s no end to this tunnel, yet. 

I don't disagree - but we're still going to finish with a top 10 class.  We've been missing out on the 5 stars for a little while now - so that's nothing new - the only difference is that instead of going to Alabama or Ohio St they are all going to aggy.  That sucks.

But we absolutely will have enough talent - from this class and the portal - to turn around this team in the Big12.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ousux said:
On 11/30/2021 at 8:12 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:
Agree with this.  If the offense can add 3 good OL I would be happy.  Spending a bunch of money on Mims from OK would be perfect to go with X.  Not sure what we can bring in on D but with some good OL we can finally start to build a real team again.  What we really need is to get Elon Musk on board with UT football.  I would have no problem with naming the field Elon Musk Field if he starts throwing big money around to our recruits.  Free Teslas, cash and rocket ship rides into space for everybody!

With SpaceX near bankruptcy and the not so small matter of Elon Musk not attending UT or giving 2 shits about American football? That would be quite a feat getting him to drop field naming money on the program..

One slight change might win over Elon … 🤔

… the Texas Musk Oxen

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't disagree - but we're still going to finish with a top 10 class.  We've been missing out on the 5 stars for a little while now - so that's nothing new - the only difference is that instead of going to Alabama or Ohio St they are all going to aggy.  That sucks.

But we absolutely will have enough talent - from this class and the portal - to turn around this team in the Big12.

Absolutely? Portal home runs are few and far between.

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I mean, don’t we only have one more year in the Big 12? We’re gonna have to play these guys we’re losing, which really blows. 

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

Absolutely? Portal home runs are few and far between.

What’s your definition of home run? Tons of teams got quality starters from the portal within our conference alone. 

it’s not about hitting a home run, it’s about getting quality starters which we currently don’t have very many of at most positions. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This Texas 2022 Recruiting Class + Portal Transfers has to have a high hit rate of guys that can play -- that includes adding depth in a lot of places. 

While the Class may not have many great 4 and 5 stars, the player evaluation has to be on point so the Longhorns get more guys that are able to play and produce good results on the field. For 2022 season gotta find a productive QB, upgrade the OL, improve pass rush, and add experience at LB and Safety.  

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What’s your definition of home run? Tons of teams got quality starters from the portal within our conference alone. 

it’s not about hitting a home run, it’s about getting quality starters which we currently don’t have very many of at most positions

Good take here.

What we get out of the portal will be just as important as the recruiting this year.  We have to have better players next year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We don't need home runs (obviously we'd love them).  We need solid players and depth.  This team isn't devoid of talent - but it needs to be developed.  I think we'll see that on the OL with another year under Flood.

this.. Texas would love to find a pass rusher, but it is the glaring holes that are holding the team back. Competent play at the edges of both lines would make a massive difference to the results. I mean just Big 12 average starter type production.

• Rage+1 1

Dewberry has been a silent to aggy for a long time.  Just like last year, this staff is wasting time on prospects that are not coming here.  I was fooled once with Banks and he proceeded to drop a top 2 of Oregon and aggy.  If he’s flipping, it’s not to Texas.  These 9.95ers are simply trying to get clicks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Starting when? 

probably in 2-3 years when 7WS is replaced. 

Also related but unrelated, I don't see the Aggies slowing down their bag game at all. This class will likely only make them continue to drop outrageously over market bags going forward.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think it ooks more like we finish somewhere around 12, we have 6 teams behind us with higher averages and 4=7 fewer commits as of now, LSU, Clemson, FSU, Mizzery, UO, UNC, hell even OU could pass us if we make a good hire.  The only team in front of us we can realistically pass is Pedo. 

12 wouldn’t be a terrible class but is not where we really should be, and recent playoff history does suggest if you aren’t at or near the top of recruiting you don’t really have a chance.  Even getting heisman QBs from the portal doesn’t make you competitive with the top teams.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think Stewart committed and decommitted for the follows. 

No he didn’t.  He actually wanted to come here because he likes Austin and playing here only helps his own Tik Tok “fame”.  He also likes our offense.  The problem is we lost to Kansas and didn’t even make a bowl game and set new records for all time lows with our 6 game losing streak.

And forget all of that.  The main reason he isn’t coming here is because aggy threw enough money at the guys running his recruitment that they couldn’t say no.  Had we done the same, he’d be in burnt orange.  But apparently our BMD think players should feel lucky to play at Texas and that we are above playing the bag game.  I know CTJ says he expects some unexpected news on NSD indicating we’re playing the game but I’ll wait to see it to believe it.  If we are, we’re quite terrible at it.

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

I think it ooks more like we finish somewhere around 12, we have 6 teams behind us with higher averages and 4=7 fewer commits as of now, LSU, Clemson, FSU, Mizzery, UO, UNC, hell even OU could pass us if we make a good hire.  The only team in front of us we can realistically pass is Pedo. 

12 wouldn’t be a terrible class but is not where we really should be, and recent playoff history does suggest if you aren’t at or near the top of recruiting you don’t really have a chance.  Even getting heisman QBs from the portal doesn’t make you competitive with the top teams.  

Playoffs GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Playoffs?  I'm just trying to get us back to 'good'.

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Are we going to finish with a top-10 class? Who are you confident in us landing that would keep us in the top-10? Banks, who's already committed to another school? Campbell, who has supposedly been a near-lock for 5 months but has never pulled the trigger? I think it's just as likely we end up outside the top-10 at this point. This staff can't close. 

I'd also like to point out that we've been in the top-10 ranked recruiting classes most of the last decade and where has that gotten us? Is this fringe top-10 class well rounded with difference makers? No. More than 1/3 of the class is DL recruits. Fucking ridiculous. We have 1 fucking guy in the 247 composite top-100. We have only two OL, both of which are guards and our OL is both fucking terrible AND low on bodies. Same applies to LB, and we have one LB recruit in Trevell Johnson, who is ranked in the 500s.

As you point out, we've been missing out on the 5-stars for MORE THAN a little while now. We have five five-stars on the roster now. BJ Foster, who sucks, Alfred Collins, who apparently doesn't like football, Jordan Whittington, who is Mr. Glass, and then two badasses in Worthy and Bijan. We sucked monumentally last year. How bad would we suck without those two dudes? They're literally the only difference makers on this team. 

Shit is........ grim. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Errybody was never coming here. Not sure why you're all red assed.

Maybe not errybody but sumbody? 

Explain why A&M is getting all of these recruits and don't just say $$$ because if that is it, we and everyone else should be able to pay for some of these kids.  Not all but maybe one or two.  It's not like A&M just put up a strong year with their 4 losses and maybe even 5 if they get a decent opponent in a bowl game.  The bottom line is if Sark and his staff (remember brining in Banks, Flood, et al and how they were supposed to drop bags finally and get the big time recruits) are unable to bring in top level talent then he will fail miserably here.  I am one of the few who has been defending Sark on the Football board but if you can't close recruits you will not succeed at school the level of Texas (yeah I know we have sucked for a decade but pretty sure this fan base will not be content with 8-4 type years as our success).  

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Maybe not errybody but sumbody? 

Explain why A&M is getting all of these recruits and don't just say $$$ because if that is it, we and everyone else should be able to pay for some of these kids.  Not all but maybe one or two.  It's not like A&M just put up a strong year with their 4 losses and maybe even 5 if they get a decent opponent in a bowl game.  The bottom line is if Sark and his staff (remember brining in Banks, Flood, et al and how they were supposed to drop bags finally and get the big time recruits) are unable to bring in top level talent then he will fail miserably here.  I am one of the few who has been defending Sark on the Football board but if you can't close recruits you will not succeed at school the level of Texas (yeah I know we have sucked for a decade but pretty sure this fan base will not be content with 8-4 type years as our success).  

You want me to lie to you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I mean, don’t we only have one more year in the Big 12? We’re gonna have to play these guys we’re losing, which really blows. 

These dudes we're losing are playing for aggy which lost to several other SEC teams that don't have all the recruiting stars either.  We have to hope like hell the coaches that lost to KU turn this thing around.  

Regardless of the money aTm is throwing at kids, which is substantial, at the end of the day, the school is recruiting itself right now. Actually, that's not accurate. Let me rephrase, that RECRUITING CLASS is recruiting itself right now. Regardless of the fact college station is an island of misfit racists, and despite a shitty offense and another season ending in a wet fart, they have a tremendous class full of talented players, and the momentum is snowballing fast. 

You can sell vision all you want. You can even like our coaches and our scheme. But we had a historically bad season, lost to Kansas, and haven't had a high tier commitment in ages. If you had to pick, well, the school throwing money at kids right now that is possibly going to sign the #1 recruiting class, well, at least they can say with a straight face they're drawing the TALENT to compete at the highest level. Everyone is looking at Texas and knows we don't have to talent to win shit, and probably won't any time soon. Kids want to play with other good kids, we all know that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I honestly have zero faith in the portal. If we crush it phenomenal but from what we've seen so far, nothing gives me much hope we do well there either. For fucks sake Sark doesn't even have a new coach bump in recruiting.

yeah this is how I'm feeling too. Our only hope is the portal, but nothing I've seen so far has shown that Sark is going to be able to bring in the elite guys that you need to compete.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting