Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hey Chucklefuck, 

When you wake up with your hangover  and a crusty stench of shame hanging around your head later today, just remember, we don’t need to hear more of your bullshit. Come back with any more nonsense and we are going full crowdsourcing jihad on your insipid ass. 

Fuck

Embarrassed Shame GIF

My list of recruits that Texas still has some type of interest in / shot at. Am I missing anyone?

Devon Campbell (best odds of the group)

Jacoby Matthews (better shot than a few weeks ago)

Evan Stewart (who knows)

Denver Harris (who knows)

Omari Abor (surprise chance)

Harold Perkins (next to 0% unless SEC move)

Kendrick Law (surprise chance)

Earnest Greene (will we take 8 OL?)

• Hook 'Em 3

There are some more unsigned guys who Texas had interest in (Citizen, Gibbs, LTG, Dudley, a few 2nd tier WR), but I think that list is pretty accurate as far as guys Texas is still actively pursuing.  I think between remaining recruits and the portal Texas will add 6-9 more guys: 1-2 WR/RB, 1 OL, 1 DE, 1-2 LB, and 2-3 DB.  Depending on what shakes out with Card/Thompson they may also add a QB and if they have more than 2 defections at TE I assume they’d do something there, but both of those would have to come via the portal.

Edited by Snake Diggity

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They want Perkins in the star position. It's a LB/safety hybrid. 

The IT guys think Matthews could also fill that position. 

Our defense was so shitty this year, I couldn't even tell you who was playing the star this past season. 

I can tell you there were no stars on defense. 

• Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, Danimal said:

My list of recruits that Texas still has some type of interest in / shot at. Am I missing anyone?

Evan Stewart (who knows)

But what about the numbers??? /s

friends fail GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

the game on thanksgiving with aggy in 2023 should be fucking epic with the talent on the field (on both sides).      

we haven’t seen this kind of class in about 20 years.   Some serious pipe hittin mofos in the trenches.  We ready for the sec.  

I bet at least 5 of their top 10 of this class will have transferred out.

38 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Evan Stewart (who knows)

You can cross Harris off. Even Nahlin said nope. 
Stewart is not happening, that’s him creating drama. 
Go with Campbell and Law to finish the class. Anything other than/better than that is pretty truly unexpected. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry - What's Left

The Texas Longhorns are currently sitting at No. 5 in the On3 Consensus Team rankings after a strong Wednesday.

With that said, recruiting never stops. And this Texas staff has proven they aren’t going to stop going after the best players.

The Longhorns still have some very talent players on the board. Some that will sign this week, and others that will wait until February.

Big decision Friday

On3 Consensus 4-star WR/S Kendrick Law (Shreveport, La./Captain Shreve) is scheduled to announce his decision on Friday around 3pm CT. Alabama has been considered the favorite. The Crimson Tide has four wide receivers in the 2022 class already. And Law wants to begin his career on offense. Does that mean he doesn’t go to Alabama, no. Does that provide Texas and LSU a better opportunity, yes. LSU is feeling a lot of pressure to win this recruitment after Shazz Preston signed with Alabama Wednesday. Texas spoke with Law at least once Wednesday.

Signing this week, but not announcing until January 8

On3 Consensus 4-star IOL Earnest Greene (Bellflower, Calif./Bosco) will sign a LOI this week, and then announce January 8 during the Adidas All-American Bowl. The latest intel on the 6-foot-4, 330-pounder is the battle is is wingding down to Georgia vs. Texas, with Alabama still swinging.

On3 Consensus 4-star safety Larry Turner-Gooden (Mission Hills, Calif./Bishop Alemany) will also sign this week and announce January 8 during the Adidas All-American Bowl. Texas, Colorado, Maryland and possibly USC are where the decision will come from.

The Devon Campbell Decision

On3 Consensus 5-star IOL Devon Campbell (Arlington, Texas/Bowie) dropped a final two of Texas and Oklahoma Wednesday. As of Wednesday night, he remains scheduled to announce his decision February 3. With that said, IT is not completely ruling out a decision by Friday. One person very close to Campbell’s recruitment said Wednesday night, “He’s just deciding where he wants to go to school. Nothing more, nothing less.”

First Wednesday in February

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (La.)

The On3 Consensus 4-star is scheduled to announce during the Under Armour All-America Game January 2, and sign February 3. Texas has felt confident in the last week. LSU and Alabama will have something to say about that. LSU assistant Frank Wilson will be dialed in on this recruitment. And possibly Florida in late January with Corey Raymond in Gainesville.

Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park

The On3 Consensus 5-star is a heavy lean to Texas A&M over Texas, and LSU. Perkins is scheduled to announce his decision January 2 during the Under Armour All-America Game. He will sign in February.

Omari Abor, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas)

The On3 Consensus 4-star has been a heavy lean to Ohio State for a while, but is considering staying closer to home. Texas has re-engaged in this recruitment. If the Longhorns make a strong push, Texas will have a real chance here. Texas A&M is not likely to have room.

Caleb Douglas, WR, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower

The On3 Consensus 3-star has very good senior tape with an elite catch radius. The one-time USC verbal has an official visit scheduled to Florida January 15. Texas offered a week ago. IT is monitoring to see how hard the Longhorns push for a visit.

T.J. Dudley, LB, Montgomery (Ala.) Catholic Prep

The On3 Consensus 4-star backed off his Oregon verbal when Mario Cristobal went to Miami. Florida is in line for a January official. Texas has been in contact in the last week. Dude made an official to Texas in late June.

• Hook 'Em 4

Article: Terrance Brooks’ flip from Ohio State to Texas could be a line in the sand for the Longhorns

When Brooks initially committed to Ohio State, it was all about getting to the NFL.

“I felt like Texas wasn’t developing players as much at that point in time when I committed,” Brooks said. “I felt like Ohio State would be more. Now at this point, I feel like Texas can, too. Either way, it can be good.”

text

Spoiler

Terrance Brooks’ flip from Ohio State to Texas could be a line in the sand for the Longhorns

Image-from-iOS-7-1024x768.jpg
By Ari Wasserman Dec 15, 2021 comment-icon.png 88 save-icon.png

FRISCO, Texas — Terrance Brooks walked to the stage and took a seat in the huge, purple chair fit for a king. The chair was a nice touch for Taki’s, the tortilla chip company hosting a Texas-sized signing day event for prospects to announce their decisions and to sign with their future college programs.

When Brooks, a four-star cornerback and the No. 59 overall player in the 247Sports Composite, took a seat in that purple chair with the cameras rolling, he was committed to Ohio State.

A few minutes later, he was flashing the “Hook ’Em Horns” sign, wearing a Texas hat.

Brooks is a star football player from the Dallas area. And he’s staying home. That’s what this day is supposed to look like when Texas football is recruiting the way it should.

“It feels comforting to know the support system is going to be there at Texas,” Brooks told The Athletic after his flip became official Wednesday. “It will just feel like a special place when I get there.”

Ohio State has been better at recruiting the state of Texas than Texas in recent years. Between the 2017 and 2022 recruiting classes, Ohio State landed seven five-star prospects out of Texas, and that doesn’t include high-end four-star running back J.K. Dobbins in 2017. During that same span, Texas signed only five five-star prospects from the Lonestar State, including offensive tackle Kelvin Banks of Humble (Texas) Summer Creek, who recently flipped from Oregon after Mario Cristobal left to take the Miami job.

Texas has to live with that to a certain extent. Programs like Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Clemson are going to win their share of national recruiting battles. But this flip for Texas, though not with a five-star prospect, could be the line in the sand Steve Sarkisian needed to draw with the Buckeyes. Texas can no longer be a pipeline to Columbus, Ohio.

Think about the names that ended up at Ohio State from Texas: Baron Browning, Jeffrey Okudah, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Donovan Jackson, Quinn Ewers and now Caleb Burton, who signed with the Buckeyes on Wednesday. There’s a lot of NFL talent on that list.

The tide could be turning, at least a little.

Ewers, the former five-star quarterback of Southlake (Texas) Carroll reclassified to the 2021 class, signed with Ohio State early and was on the Buckeyes roster this past year. But he has since entered the portal and announced his intentions to transfer to Texas. Ewers is technically a transfer, but he really should be viewed as a 2022 prospect who decommitted from Ohio State and flipped to Texas.

And that brings us back to Brooks, another elite-level prospect who thought he was going to Ohio State — until he wasn’t.

When Brooks initially committed to Ohio State, it was all about getting to the NFL.

“I felt like Texas wasn’t developing players as much at that point in time when I committed,” Brooks said. “I felt like Ohio State would be more. Now at this point, I feel like Texas can, too. Either way, it can be good.”

His recruitment to Ohio State was a quick process. Brooks earned an offer, visited and committed all within a two-week period in June. After his commitment, he never returned to Ohio State, a time during which the Buckeyes lost to Michigan and Ryan Day hired former Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles. Right now, there is still some uncertainty about what the Buckeyes coaching staff is going to look like in 2022.

This loss hurts Ohio State, no question. But it means more to Texas. Brooks proved to other players in Texas that you don’t need to get on an airplane and go to Ohio State if you’re an elite-level prospect — or you don’t need to sign with in-state rival Texas A&M. Whether it’s the Ewers’ transfer, Brooks’ flip or the potential commitment from five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell of Arlington (Texas) Bowie, the Longhorns have created some significant momentum after a disappointing season.

There’s also the inevitable discussion point on name, image and likeness and what opportunities Texas may have offered that Ohio State couldn’t match. That’s all part of the game right now, which reduces the conversation to the most pertinent thing moving forward: Who sold the best total package to get the win in the end?

That was Texas.

Asked if winning would feel better if he did it at home, Brooks smiled.

“Yeah,” he said.

Then he flashed the Hook ’Em sign again.

(Photo by Ari Wasserman / The Athletic)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME

Ari Wasserman is a senior writer for The Athletic, covering college football and recruiting nationally. He previously spent 10 years covering Ohio State for The Athletic and Cleveland.com, starting on the Buckeyes beat in 2009. Follow Ari on Twitter @AriWasserman.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

LOL Sweed has a NCAA championship ring and won a Super Bowl ring after being a 2nd rd pick.  He won us the Ohio st game in 2005 with an amazing catch.  Limas Sweed was badass and any WR we recruit that turns out like him will be a huge win.

His Ohio State catch is his best moment (and even that catch was bobbled). His hands are why he’s still not in the NFL. 

Edited by JGHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You suck as a lurker if you don't know why.

I mean, $$$$$$$. Obviously. No shit they’re paying players. 

I’m just surprised we didn’t match them for a lockdown CB like that. You’re really trying to tell me that we’re not playing the money game too after we pulled in the #5 class after a losing season? C’mon. 

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hey Chucklefuck, 

When you wake up with your hangover  and a crusty stench of shame hanging around your head later today, just remember, we don’t need to hear more of your bullshit. Come back with any more nonsense and we are going full crowdsourcing jihad on your insipid ass. 

Fuck

I've had the dumb fuck on ignore for a very long time; do yourself a favor.

12 minutes ago, LonghornLurker said:

Fuck, seriously? The dude was literally openly shitting on them a few months ago. I don’t get how we miss like that. 

He likes their class, plus several hundred of thousands of other reasons. 

2 minutes ago, LonghornLurker said:

I mean, $$$$$$$. Obviously. No shit they’re paying players. 

I’m just surprised we didn’t match them for a lockdown CB like that. You’re really trying to tell me that we’re not playing the money game too after we pulled in the #5 class after a losing season? C’mon. 

As another poster said, tell me you're not actually lurking without telling me. We don't have the infrastructure to pay players, not the way they are paying players. If you need help understanding how we pulled the #5 class after our season, let me introduce you to a thing called "google." Type in "Texas NIL." Read. Also, because of Bo Davis. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

He likes their class, plus several hundred of thousands of other reasons. 

As another poster said, tell me you're not actually lurking without telling me. We don't have the infrastructure to pay players, not the way they are paying players. If you need help understanding how we pulled the #5 class after our season, let me introduce you to a thing called "google." Type in "Texas NIL." Read. Also, because of Bo Davis. 

I think some kids really want to play for certain defensive coordinators because of their scheme and that was the key to all of these defensive players choosing A&M.  

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, JGHorn said:

Has great hands…so therefore he’s NOT like Limas Sweed 

Oh my, how quickly we forget.  I will respectfully point you towards a catch made, on the road, “in the shoe”(AT NIGHT), with the ‘05 Season, literally on the line….in the SECOND GAME OF THE YEAR”.  
Limas had hands there. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Oh my, how quickly we forget.  I will respectfully point you towards a catch made, on the road, “in the shoe”(AT NIGHT), with the ‘05 Season, literally on the line….in the SECOND GAME OF THE YEAR”.  
Limas had hands there. 

Yes, one catch proves it. Also, not to divulge the family secret, but you'll notice he doesn't come up with the ball in his hands on that play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting