Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

separately, what happens when the irs comes snooping around when a prospect's dad all of a sudden has $300k in cash?  i assume it gets divvied up, but you'd think that would put the family members in a potentially dangerous spot (i don't care about the trainers or "uncles").  i also assume that these schools provide some tax attorneys pro-bono if/when shit hits the fan?

(yes, i realize that in most cases the money does/should go to the player, but at least a few times this cycle it seemed like dads had their hands out)

So nothing cool cool.  So the aggies are going to see the rule change and the success from this year and just double or triple everyone else with bags again next year too….   Fuck the NCAA in their spineless ass.  The new rule makes them basically powerless to do anything.  I understand smart families and kids will see NIL and good education as better long term but many of these families you dangle a few hundred K infront of them right away, they won’t pass it up.  

Edited by Hook1997

Yeah, let me pile on. At this point in Texas Football, you take every good to great offensive lineman you can get. You need 5 starters, at least 3 solid backups, and a production line of strength, skill, technique, and weight annually pumping out regular specimens molded from high school bodies and minds. We took 2, er, 1 last year. That's criminal negligence. Some in this class are EE, some will play immediately, and some will redshirt. They'll get spread out a bit naturally. 

If you have a good OL, you get to a decent bowl. If you have a dominant OL, you win championships.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Btw on LBs - I remember reading a quote from D Brown a while ago that the plan was to start him at edge but move him to inside LB. Also noticed a Choate RT’d only two signing announcements - Trevell and Brown. 
So maybe we should be considering Brown a LB recruit instead of edge. 

I thought he was recruited as a linebacker. He’s at best 210 lbs. His twitter bio says linebacker@ ut and Dbrown OLB10.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think we probably are taking too many high school OL recruits this year, but Neto is the 2nd best one we have currently after Banks.   Smart, really athletic, and mean.  Plus he’s 6’4 and carries 285 lbs better than most guys coming out of high school.  That is not the guy you process.  

I too, believe in not processing top-150-in-the-country players. 

Lost in all the discussion about the bag game vs. the NIL, is that under the table money is so much riskier for the booster.

If you're the Double Eagle guys at Texas Tech, no fucking way you're going to risk jail time by giving somebody $250K in cash. But, ask them to put up $2 Million in legal NIL money to secure a top flight QB? Sure. Here it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Lost in all the discussion about the bag game vs. the NIL, is that under the table money is so much riskier for the booster.

If you're the Double Eagle guys at Texas Tech, no fucking way you're going to risk jail time by giving somebody $250K in cash. But, ask them to put up $2 Million in legal NIL money to secure a top flight QB? Sure. Here it is. 

They did a 400k OL deal that is supposed to be recurring as well. Tech oline gets 25k each. They just sucked at announcing it and didn’t actually make the players do anything for it that would recover anywhere near 25k worth of marketing value. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Our sources tell us that his decision will come in the future. Also if note, his decision has not and will not happen in the past. 

it’s like the Steven Wright or Mitch hedberg line about here’s a picture of me when I was younger. Every picture of you is from when you were younger. 

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Do people really pay money for this? His statement means absolutely nothing. "Could come in the next two weeks?" No shit. Could also come in the two weeks after that. You aren't telling me anything.

Perhaps the key word in Roach's statement was "decision", and he is actually commenting on the illusory nature of free will

• Haha 3

With the early signing period ending tomorrow I am stoked to have a top 5 class with a heavy emphasis on BEEF. Yes, there are some targets left but it seems the next step for Sark and Co. is to bring in some experience at positions of need. It sounds like we have some irons in the fire at DB. Still need OL, WR, and LB. 
I know we just signed at ton of oline but no way we can start 5 true freshman. So 2 here?

From the sound of it Sark isn’t interested in having 15 scholarship WR. Another 2?

LB I have no idea how to go about LB. I don’t have a good sense for what the staffs thoughts are there. I know they overhauled the shit out of the position last offseason. 

Are we looking at 8-9 transfers?

38 minutes ago, texastough said:

Why won't NIL make scholly numbers irrelevant? Instead of officially having a traditional athletic scholarship, players 85+ and those over the limit each year can just have their tuition, fees, etc paid by boosters?

Less than 1% will reach the league.  Most have heavily involved parents that think beyond twitter and actually care about their kid's future and fallback plans beyond nli money.  50,000 grand goes quick 

5 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

Less than 1% will reach the league.  Most have heavily involved parents that think beyond twitter and actually care about their kid's future and fallback plans beyond nli money.  50,000 grand goes quick 

4 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

I'm sure they're saying the  same thing to their kids 

2 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

And the boosters don't pay that kind of money  except for the top notch 

Put your thoughts in one post. It would help if you stop getting high on your own supply.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. We need one really good WR who can be the a legit second target and catch 50-60 balls for 600 yards and a bunch of first downs and the odd TD or two. If you get that guy then whatever Whittington gives you is gravy and you should figure Thompson/Dixon can do some stuff. 
that doesn’t seem impossible to do, but it’s absurdly necessary. 

I'd add a TE or two to that equation.  Doesn't have to be much, but it does have to keep the defense guessing and it is an extra blocker.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

I dunno, I could make $50m last quite a while. 

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, MH BEVO said:

With the early signing period ending tomorrow I am stoked to have a top 5 class with a heavy emphasis on BEEF. Yes, there are some targets left but it seems the next step for Sark and Co. is to bring in some experience at positions of need. It sounds like we have some irons in the fire at DB. Still need OL, WR, and LB. 
I know we just signed at ton of oline but no way we can start 5 true freshman. So 2 here?

From the sound of it Sark isn’t interested in having 15 scholarship WR. Another 2?

LB I have no idea how to go about LB. I don’t have a good sense for what the staffs thoughts are there. I know they overhauled the shit out of the position last offseason. 

Are we looking at 8-9 transfers?

Watts is a take no matter what. After that, maybe you look into the LSU WRs, but there isn't anyone in there right now that dramatic upgrades your team right now. So you wait to see who else enters the portal after the Bowl season and after NSD#2, then get ready for the post spring practice portal. The biggest immediate need is LB and WR. You aren't taking a portal OL with 7 2022 kids coming when 2-3 can legitimate hit the 2 deep right off the bat. LB we have both returning starters, as well as, Gbenda, Ford, Blackwell, and Richardson. My hope is that Overshown is moved back to the 3rd safety in Patterson's preferred 4-2-5 attacking scheme that Kwiatkowski's is calling and Brockermeyer gets moved to coverage teams. Gbenda and Ford are going to be 3rd year players, so you hope the lights go on for them, but you can't take that chance if there is a portal LB that can be a day one starter. WR you wait for Mims or Johnston and shoot your shot.

13 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I bet if we looked back on Mack’s number 1 class he probably hit on less than 50% of the takes.  If Sarkisian keeps racking top 5 classes he’ll make it at Texas.

2002 was Mack's best class.  26 players.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2002-Football/Commits/

Young, Wright, Blalock, Harris, Pittman, S. Young, Dibbles, Ross, Thomas, Studdard, Sendlein, Robison 

By my count, 12 of them were "hits" in that they had significant/notable playing time.  What is exceptional is that 10 of them played in the NFL.

Perhaps interesting to only me: Brian Pickryl, 5* DE ended up graduating with a BS in biomedical engineering.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, boilerhorn said:

Young, Wright, Blalock, Harris, Pittman, S. Young, Dibbles, Ross, Thomas, Studdard, Sendlein, Robison 

By my count, 12 of them were "hits" in that they had significant/notable playing time.  What is exceptional is that 10 of them played in the NFL.

Perhaps interesting to only me: Brian Pickryl, 5* DE ended up graduating with a BS in biomedical engineering.  

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

16 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

2010 was a higher scored class and far fewer hits

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

WR you wait for Mims or Johnston and shoot your shot.

Anything real about those rumors or is that just us hoping they’ll want to leave?

If Brockermeyer isn’t a starter then I’d feel much better about the direction of that position. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting