Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

27 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

SIAP, somebody on reddit is saying that Stewart is supposed to sign (not sure where) at 4:30. Anyone know if that's true?

I just went and checked his twitter.  Based on his likes alone he's going to be an Ag.  Now I'm depressed because I'm a grown man checking some child's twitter.  

47 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What I think he was actually trying to say is that it might be more shoulder width than arm length with Williams, but it was hilarious to me right after he was talking about Williams's weight. Also, it would be news to me that it's a bad thing to have really broad shoulders as an offensive lineman. His wingspan is his wingspan. That shit is good, Brooks trying to downplay it was stupid.

I think the issue is that arm-length is the metric that matters. Coaches want to know if the guys they’re recruiting can get their hands on the guys across from them without the other guys being able to get separation or get off a jam or whatever.

Arm length and wing span don’t always correlate. Terrance Brooks has an 80” wing span at 5’11”. Cam Williams has an 83” wing span at 6’7”. There’s a good chance Cam’s body is wider than Brooks’s, so Brooks may actually have longer arms than Williams. Gerry was on the radio this morning explaining why these kids’ wing spans were measured when arm length is the more important metric. It had something to do with COVID that didn’t make any sense to me, but supposedly a bunch of the 2022 kids had wing span measured instead of arm length. 

Either way, your rant made me chuckle. 

Edited by Chili dog
Grammar before I get called out.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Cristobal is overrated as hell but he's a legit OL coach. Oregon once again had one of the best OL in the country. 

The fact Cristobal wanted Cam Williams is a pretty good indication the guy is legit. 

It's an indication there's something there to work with. Hopefully between our nutrition/strength program and his desire it comes to fruition.

46 minutes ago, CravenTaters said:

Sounds like someone doesn't fully understand income tax. $350k under the table all day.

this is a pretty dumb statement. 350 under the table all day, Huh? What if it’s 150 a year for 5 years, but you pay taxes versus 350? Or do 350k under the table versus 500 over. Which are you still picking smart guy?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

this is a pretty dumb statement. 350 under the table all day, Huh? What if it’s 150 a year for 5 years, but you pay taxes versus 350? Or do 350k under the table versus 500 over. Which are you still picking smart guy?

and that 350 is being shared with handlers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Economics would say take the under the table money now, after taxes the $150k is probably closer to $4-500k, and inflation isn’t helping

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I can understand why a recruit and their family would take cash in hand now over a promise of 150k/year that’s subject to the whims of the NCAA. I’m sure Jimbo is harping on the uncertain future of the NIL landscape until they can get their operation up and running. 

Just now, Fug said:

Economics would say take the under the table money now, after taxes the $150k is probably closer to $4-500k, and inflation isn’t helping

Inflation doesn’t last forever. The 80s called. If it does last forever we’re all fucked. 

you think an 18 year old is investing that money and getting 8% compound year over year for 4 years? IF that happens it gets him to almost 500k. 

if. Also it was an illustration, don’t be pedantic. The point is you don’t always take the uo front all day. There are variables. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Fug said:

I am on the hiring committee of my company and I think I just came up with my next weed out Interview question:

”You are on 5* WR recruit.  You can take $350k of illegal funds to play for Jimbo or $500k of legal funds to play for Sark. What do you choose”

I don't expect him to ever transfer here but what a dumb decision (and he's probably the only Aggy commit I'd truly say that about). Taking hundreds of thousands of dollars while likely costing himself millions in rookie contract value alone.

Edited by Tex-19

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I don't expect him to ever transfer here but what a dumb decision. Taking hundreds of thousands of dollars while likely costing himself millions in rookie contract value alone.

Yes, but he’ll have access to tons of Tik Tok thots in College Station, so he still wins

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
15 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
Here's what he posted https://www.instagram.com/evan3stewart/p/CXj9diNPtNO/?utm_medium=copy_link
It's a bit cryptic but looks like he gone.

He'll be back after he catches one pass next year.

Yep, the portal makes it possible for players to fix a mistake. He'll get here eventually.

28 minutes ago, Fug said:

the under the table comes with it's own form of taxes... The uncle tax, the trainer's cut, etc. 

Shave 20% off and he is still doing ok, but will need to spend some dough on a good safe to store his bread because it's not like he can just walk in and deposit a load of cash like that without triggering an AML algorithm. 

It takes some skill to launder that amount of cash.

• Hook 'Em 3

Inflation doesn’t last forever. The 80s called. If it does last forever we’re all fucked. 

you think an 18 year old is investing that money and getting 8% compound year over year for 4 years? IF that happens it gets him to almost 500k. 

if. Also it was an illustration, don’t be pedantic. The point is you don’t always take the uo front all day. There are variables. 

5868e996e774ce694de8cf6274b651fa.jpg
  • Haha 1

I don't get the narrative that Texas is taking too many HS OL and DL recruits. 

It's fairly obvious this staff believes the roster is complete trash (OL and DL) so they're adding quality and numbers. I bet they add a couple transfers too. I think it's a real positive this staff is showing initiative to fix the trenches. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I think we probably are taking too many high school OL recruits this year, but Neto is the 2nd best one we have currently after Banks.   Smart, really athletic, and mean.  Plus he’s 6’4 and carries 285 lbs better than most guys coming out of high school.  That is not the guy you process.  

Show me the portal OL we passed on that are better than anything we signed or are going to sign.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting