Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

29 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

That is surprising since Bob has become such a blow hard red ass lately. It’s to the point that I have a hard time listening to any college football from the Hardline. Has taken a Jose dive since Mike left a few years back. Sad

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It was Corby

*who is a giant cock bag himself

Corby is a TCU grad OU fan and Bob has a freshman daughter at a&m. Not much Longhorn love on the hardline. And yes that show misses Mike.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragde said:

Corby is a TCU grad OU fan and Bob has a freshman daughter at a&m. Not much Longhorn love on the hardline. And yes that show misses Mike.

The ticket definitely doesn’t miss mike. The guy was so I’ll informed at the end of his tenure, he only really knew anything about the rangers.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, I can tell that that dipshit has no concept of how the NIL works, as well as the role a compliance department has in the process. This is equivalent to some idiot saying Limas Sweed is out of the NFL because he's 36 years old, without realizing Sweed was out of the NFL at 26 years old. Just straight up talking out his ass. 

It is funny, however, we had a conversation with a pretty connected person who was bemoaning a problem with Ewers was UT's draconian compliance department and how Ohio State rubber stamps everything and doesn't give a shit whatsoever. Which was a potential hurdle because it might mean the deals Ewers got at Ohio State and elsewhere wouldn't be replicable by Texas. 

Hes Already Dead GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

That is surprising since Bob has become such a blow hard red ass lately. It’s to the point that I have a hard time listening to any college football from the Hardline. Has taken a Jose dive since Mike left a few years back. Sad

I think that is a little unfair to Jose. 

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

1310 The Ticket Hard Line crew intimated from "sources" that they'd heard that big aggy DL Nolan was being shopped by his dad and was getting upwards of a million.  Drama that caused some other SEC teams to pass.

Who the hell knows, just interesting that such a big show would drop specific numbers.

I didn’t know dollar amount but this is well known. I’ve posted it in the aggy thread multiple times. 

Nolen’s dad was straight up looking for the highest bidder. The Bama mods have said several times that Saban didn’t want to deal with the dad because he’s such a loudmouth and a potential NCAA violation waiting to happen, 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn’t know dollar amount but this is well known. I’ve posted it in the aggy thread multiple times. 

Nolen’s dad was straight up looking for the highest bidder. The Bama mods have said several times that Saban didn’t want to deal with the dad because he’s such a loudmouth and a potential NCAA violation waiting to happen

That’d be such a shame if he ended up getting aggy in trouble for all their shenanigans.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

That’d be such a shame if he ended up getting aggy in trouble for all their shenanigans.

If there’s a recruit that gets aggy in trouble it will be Nolen. The Bama mods had a long rant about the dad a few months ago. I need to go find it because they were pretty much telling the posters there that this is a recruit you want to stay way from. 

• Hook 'Em 7

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I've been on these boards as long as Grendel has been around, to my knowledge. Going back to the '90s. 

So I’m right it is you!

But seriously, just a joke. It’s probably been close to a decade ago but one night Grendel was in rare form even for him, and a lot of us did what we always did to him when he got that way.He got especially perturbed and accused us of being “boorish”. /csb

Edited by Herbie Hancock
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If there’s a recruit that gets aggy in trouble it will be Nolen. The Bama mods had a long rant about the dad a few months ago. I need to go find it because they were pretty much telling the posters there that this is a recruit you want to stay way from. 

Please go find and post here and elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Honestly, that's the one that really jumps out as inexplicable absent something under the table.  He is their highest-ranked recruit of all time.  He is from Tennessee, and aggy typically does not attract top talent from out of state.  And he is on defense, but aggy has no defensive coordinator. What on earth could be attracting him to aggy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Seems like the dad could be like a mistress who starts asking for more and more money with threat of telling your wife. Under the table guys now have lots of additional leverage to start claiming they never received what was promised.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Honestly, that's the one that really jumps out as inexplicable absent something under the table.  He is their highest-ranked recruit of all time.  He is from Tennessee, and aggy typically does not attract top talent from out of state.  And he is on defense, but aggy has no defensive coordinator. What on earth could be attracting him to aggy?

Not that I necessarily disagree with your premise, but I was looking at on3's team rankings this AM. The percentages of the last 3 classes for A&M for players from the state of texas are....wait for it...: 58% this year, 61% last year, and 44% in 2020. 44%. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Best overall class we've had in a long time.

This class is ridiculously good. Given the season we just had, it’s ducking unbelievable.

Now, we need these players to stick and produce.(<——-thanks, Captain Obvious)

Edited by lilMAC25

https://www.mrt.com/sports/article/Amid-signing-day-chaos-SEC-powers-grab-top-16705365.php

Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher put together his fourth straight top-10 class. Alabama, which won nine of the previous 11 recruiting titles, was No. 2. Georgia was No. 3, marking the fifth straight year the Bulldogs have been in the top five.

The team rankings could change with the next letter-of-intent period beginning Feb. 2.

Coaches said the recruiting process now has players taking into consideration where they could make the most money through endorsement work. The NCAA in July began allowing athletes to monetize use of their name, image and likeness. Some schools are better positioned than others in this new frontier and millions of dollars are swirling around the biggest programs..

“NIL has been going on for a long time. It just hasn't been above board,” Fisher said.

- This excerpt is from the linked article above.  No shit Jimbo.  And it still isn't with your program.

Folks need to consider that Fisher is less concerned about headaches or attrition than the splash he's making with this class, and the perception it builds. Much like people look at all the "high ranked Texas classes" and set the narrative about how we waste talent. Nevermind most of those talented players are busts and transfer out or are kicked off the team within a year. See McCoy, Bru. That's what Jimbo has paid for here. It's also why he has had several players hold back signing to make that big splash for "overtaking #1." Jimbo has a closing window, and he knows the time is now. 

In related news, what if there's a dynamic where a player now expects two payments, and is explicit about it with coaching staffs? One now, and one in two years for either staying or what they get paid to transfer out?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We can only hope that down the road, he’s one of those “hey I’m going to need more $ or else….” Types. Or….. that they have paid so many, they start talking amongst others and realize they were “lowballed” compared to their teammate. They are essentially creating a bomb within the locker room, and all that’s needed is a small spark to go boom. 

NIL is the route. Under the table just creates massive issues with tight lips needed. This ain’t that generation to have those. What happens next year when they request more payments or they’ll transfer? Do you allocate funds to retain, or are you using to buy the next batch of freshman? Guess we will see how it plays out🤷🏼‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

https://www.mrt.com/sports/article/Amid-signing-day-chaos-SEC-powers-grab-top-16705365.php

Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher put together his fourth straight top-10 class. Alabama, which won nine of the previous 11 recruiting titles, was No. 2. Georgia was No. 3, marking the fifth straight year the Bulldogs have been in the top five.

The team rankings could change with the next letter-of-intent period beginning Feb. 2.

Coaches said the recruiting process now has players taking into consideration where they could make the most money through endorsement work. The NCAA in July began allowing athletes to monetize use of their name, image and likeness. Some schools are better positioned than others in this new frontier and millions of dollars are swirling around the biggest programs..

“NIL has been going on for a long time. It just hasn't been above board,” Fisher said.

- This excerpt is from the linked article above.  No shit Jimbo.  And it still isn't with your program.

I was pretty surprised he just flat out said this. What a piece of shit. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with your premise, but I was looking at on3's team rankings this AM. The percentages of the last 3 classes for A&M for players from the state of texas are....wait for it...: 58% this year, 61% last year, and 44% in 2020. 44%. 

Right, but over that period, I don't think they have a single 5* player from out of state and very few high 4* players from out of state.  They historically have not been effective at recruiting top players from out of state.  So what is different this year?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Seems like the dad could be like a mistress who starts asking for more and more money with threat of telling your wife. Under the table guys now have lots of additional leverage to start claiming they never received what was promised.

I mean the dad is already doing that. The report that Nolen wasn’t going to sign was almost certainly leaked by the dad to get aggy to come back with a bigger bag. 

30 minutes after that rumor of Nolen waiting until NSD2 to sign Nolen’s dad was on Twitter back on the aggy gravy train. He secured a bigger bag.  

5 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I love how Jimbo just plays it off as “yeah this NIL stuff is wild, really opened a lot of doors for us” and no one in the media asks him what NIL deals ATM players are getting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I mean the dad is already doing that. The report that Nolen wasn’t going to sign was almost certainly leaked by the dad to get aggy to come back with a bigger bag. 

30 minutes after that rumor of Nolen waiting until NSD2 to sign Nolen’s dad was on Twitter back on the aggy gravy train. He secured a bigger bag.  

What’s to stop him from portalling tomorrow?  Are these agreements enforced with baseball bats and blowtorches?

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was pretty surprised he just flat out said this. What a piece of shit. 

What's your issue with it?  Fuck Jimbo, but it was actually refreshing for a coach to finally say what everyone seems to be ignoring: players have been getting paid forever, now we can just talk about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

THE REASON WE KNOW WE ARE NOT GETTING STEWART AND HARRIS IS BECAUSE WE KNOW HOW MUCH THEY ARE BEING PAID AND IT IS MORE THAN OUR GUYS WERE WILLING TO OFFER IN RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legality aside, this is pretty pathetic. Being outbid by literal sheep farmers. yikes. 

They’re basically challenging the NCAA to do anything…and they’ll most likely get away with it. Good thing it’s Texas 8-4, though. If it was OU with this class I’d be shitting bricks. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Right, but over that period, I don't think they have a single 5* player from out of state and very few high 4* players from out of state.  They historically have not been effective at recruiting top players from out of state.  So what is different this year?

It's been, what, 3 straight years their D line has been perceived as one of the SEC's best?  In large part by quickly buying top players, first in Texas, to then establish a larger narrative and make the out of state targets receptive to going there instead of just considering Bama, UGA, Clemson and tOSU.  Buying is a constant, but it gets easier to go national when CBS fellates your DL every game

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I love how Jimbo just plays it off as “yeah this NIL stuff is wild, really opened a lot of doors for us” and no one in the media asks him what NIL deals ATM players are getting. 

No one is ever going to ask that shit. Nor should they. Also, legitimately, unless someone puts their deal out there for the world to see, the coach shouldn't have any IDEA what deals their players have, honestly. 

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

That is definitely in their future

I mean, they know it's in their future. They understood the deal when they took it. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

+Rep for proper use of "whomever". 👍

Waddle played in SPC, which is maybe comparable to 3A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Preparatory_Conference

These high schools have 275 to 400 people, most are co-ed, and frequently you've got preppy wealthy kids and/or match/science nerds in each class. (The all-boys schools have a higher nerd factor, so I guess that it evens out.)

People who went to these schools do shit like give positive rep for correct grammar usage. Shit like that.

Things may have changed, but back in my day, most Offensive lines in the SPC were made up of guys weighing in at 190 lbs. Maybe 1-2 guys a year in the entire conference would go on to play D1 football.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

What’s to stop him from portalling tomorrow?  Are these agreements enforced with baseball bats and blowtorches?

yep, the only possible downside is someone threatening to report the "unreported income" and the IRS gets on them.  The NCAA won't(read can't) do shit anymore.

someone giving me a bag of cash isn't illegal unless I don't report it to the govt.

1 hour ago, XForce said:

Paraphrasing Chip “Sark, it’s said that the closer a player is to the ball, the harder it is for them when they get to college. Do you think any freshmen OL will be able to make an impact”

Sark: “that’s the first time I’ve heard that analogy. If they can play we’ll play them “

thats awesome...chip spouting some mack-ism/excuse making answer, I'm sure.  Sark with the "we don't play scared" retort.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep, the only possible downside is someone threatening to report the "unreported income" and the IRS gets on them.  The NCAA won't(read can't) do shit anymore.

someone giving me a bag of cash isn't illegal unless I don't report it to the govt.

Outside of this class and maybe one more I don’t think this is going to be a big worry once NIL is full go. 

aggy will still buy recruits but NIL levels the playing field. We’ve already seen it with the NIL deal for offensive lineman this cycle. I’m in agreement with other posters that have said the window is closing so that’s why aggy is really going all out this cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one is ever going to ask that shit. Nor should they. Also, legitimately, unless someone puts their deal out there for the world to see, the coach shouldn't have any IDEA what deals their players have, honestly. 

Didn’t our reporters ask Sark yesterday about the various NIL deals our players will benefit from? Not exact numbers of course.

I guess my point is that Texas players (as you well know and thank you for your contributions to those efforts) benefit from publicly reported organizations set up that can be discussed with some specificity, but when ATM has a suspiciously great class Jimbo can just shrug and say “that’s NIL for ya” and the media takes it at face value. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Outside of this class and maybe one more I don’t think this is going to be a big worry once NIL is full go. 

aggy will still buy recruits but NIL levels the playing field. We’ve already seen it with the NIL deal for offensive lineman this cycle. I’m in agreement with other posters that have said the window is closing so that’s why aggy is really going all out this cycle

Yeah, they've lost all of their advantages and are desperate to win right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Didn’t our reporters ask Sark yesterday about the various NIL deals our players will benefit from? Not exact numbers of course.

I guess my point is that Texas players (as you well know and thank you for your contributions to those efforts) benefit from publicly reported organizations set up that can be discussed with some specificity, but when ATM has a suspiciously great class Jimbo can just shrug and say “that’s NIL for ya” and the media takes it at face value. 

Texas is also one of, if not the only school, that has had very public announcements about aggressive NIL programs that have garnered major media and press attention. That's what I meant about someone putting it out there for the world to see. Then, yes, the media is going to ask about specific NIL deals. But no one is going to say "So much is Bijan Robinson making? What are his deals?"

FWIW, I think the Jimbo quote was from Finebaum and in response to "So, how is recruiting in the world of NIL?" or some such shit. To which his answer contextually makes sense. Other articles have run with the quote without context. No one was asking about NIL specifics. The question he got, I believe, was geared to make him look impressive for slaying the implied evil NIL beast. Now, why he answered it that way, sure, I'm surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In related news, what if there's a dynamic where a player now expects two payments, and is explicit about it with coaching staffs? One now, and one in two years for either staying or what they get paid to transfer out?

What if?  With the one-time transfer rule I'm sure it's already happening.  And it will be every year for a player that hasn't used his transfer.

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

aggy will still buy recruits but NIL levels the playing field. We’ve already seen it with the NIL deal for offensive lineman this cycle. I’m in agreement with other posters that have said the window is closing so that’s why aggy is really going all out this cycle. 

In theory I agree with this. There will still be issues with guys wanting their money all at once instead of earning it over the duration of their time in college. Also, I think you’ll still have handlers/uncles/trainers who’ll have their hand out who don’t have any NIL money marked for them. I assume aggy will still be paying these folks while all of our money is going directly to the player only.

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

note to the reporting... due it through IRS whistleblower program as are then eligible for 15-30% of recovered funds :)

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting