Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Yeah, they've lost all of their advantages and are desperate to win right now.

Absolutely.  We're only seeing the tip of the icerberg for what NIL can do for Texas, while the ags are looking at the absolute pinnacle of what dirty bagmen can get you.  Every single recruiting cycle from now on, will see the diminished effects of the bagmen, and the growing capability of NIL.  This was really the last cycle where they could do what they just did.  Eventually the bags of cash will be so minimal compared to NIL, we'll end up seeing it get pretty close to disappearing.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But no one is going to say "So much is Bijan Robinson making? What are his deals?"

Yeah, I realize my original post was unclear on that, not what I meant. Also didn’t realize it was in response to Finebaum, who of course isn’t going to cause any trouble unless Uncle Nick tells him to. 

51 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

“NIL has been going on for a long time. It just hasn't been above board,” Fisher said.

I think jimbo can personally afford to be both glib and obvious about ncaa rules violations because, in my recollection, his contract with aggy is guaranteed no matter what happens. They get caught and assessed sanctions? Still gotta pay him to go away.

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I think jimbo can personally afford to be both glib and obvious about ncaa rules violations because, in my recollection, his contract with aggy is guaranteed no matter what happens. They get caught and assessed sanctions? Still gotta pay him to go away.

I'm pretty sure he has a for cause clause.  

That's wild. Outside of QB, it seems like an unsustainable way to build a roster.
Beating Bama this year with a so so team has given aggy delusions that they're closer than ever before to dethroning the kings of the SEC. They know if they want to see a championship in their lifetime (or even a CFB playoff game lulz) it's now or never. This is the impression I get from the aggys at work, at least the ones still plugged into the cult.

Do people really think the bag deals are like like breaking bad where the player has a stack of cash in a storage facility? Why do you think "uncles" are always involved? The money goes to them they report it as income and then give it to the kid however they want. It's also why Oregon reportedly handed Banks a "thumb-drive" of crypto cause that shits untraceable

Edited by Michael Knight

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Do people really think the bag deals are like like breaking bad where the player has a stack of cash in a storage facility? Why do you think "uncles" are always involved? The money goes to them they report it as income and then give it to the kid however they want. It's also why Oregon reportedly handed Banks a "thumb-drive" of crypto cause that shits untraceable

image.jpeg.6734b0380385daac7c879c87a8ee4b4d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:
That's wild. Outside of QB, it seems like an unsustainable way to build a roster.

Beating Bama this year with a so so team has given aggy delusions that they're closer than ever before to dethroning the kings of the SEC. They know if they want to see a championship in their lifetime (or even a CFB playoff game lulz) it's now or never. This is the impression I get from the aggys at work, at least the ones still plugged into the cult.

Oh. So all of them. You could have just deleted the bolded part. 

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Had to double check which thread I was in. Take that aggie shit somewhere else.

No shit. It’s all anybody can talk about despite our sick fucking class. Who gives a fuck? By the time we play them half these recruits will have portaled or will be headed to the NFL and I’d assume we will have caught up in recruiting by then given our NIL momentum. Stop giving them the satisfaction of talking about it you pussies.

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You speak awfully confidently, but your post sort of indicates you don't really understand how the deals work either. News flash, it is often cash. Second, do you think some uncle who made 60k a year, then suddenly reports 460k for one year for outside contract work, isn't prone to an audit of some sort? I mean, that's a risk. Also sometimes that money doesn't even GO to the kid. You think some trainer is going to be trusted to dole out the money to a kid when all the financial records show it's HIS money? 

There's a dozen ways to skin a cat. I wouldn't act so confidently that you "get it" while others dont. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm fully aware. Of course when youre on a desktop, you hit send, go look at another tab, come back and it's still sitting there with the post up, looking like you hadn't hit send, it can be deceiving. 

No matter what that recruiting and message board dilettante @HenryJames thinks, I had a double post yesterday when I only clicked it once.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If he took Best Buy gift card we'd be in business

How many HDMI ports? Does it come in silver?

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

We’re not really the Yankees then (foolishly spending our FU money) if we lost out to aggy on multiple 5 stars including some at positions of need. Or did we blow most our load on Ewers?

They're playing the dirty bag game. We're playing the legal NIL game. The aggy signees aren't in college yet so technically unable to receive money at this time (narrator: they are). Ewers is no longer in HS, therefore he can receive money. (I think this is how it works. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

2 hours ago, Big_kat said:

That is surprising since Bob has become such a blow hard red ass lately. It’s to the point that I have a hard time listening to any college football from the Hardline. Has taken a Jose dive since Mike left a few years back. Sad

They're unlistenable on most things, particularly college football. I do love Joel Klatt though.

1 hour ago, Fug said:

The ticket definitely doesn’t miss mike. The guy was so I’ll informed at the end of his tenure, he only really knew anything about the rangers.

Blasphemer. Rhynes is the godfather.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

image.jpeg.6734b0380385daac7c879c87a8ee4b4d.jpeg

Wonder how many subscriptions to Vibe you can get for Nolen's $1M?

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

ha. you have to be kidding. no one is reporting income in the bag situation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A mod on 247 (not Roach or Harris) has a thread about Cam Williams ranking?  Incoming BOMC??

someone posted that before he signed the 995ers were going to update his ranking.  he'll be a 4 star.  5 star would be hilarious though..aggy would blow a gasket.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

someone posted that before he signed the 995ers were going to update his ranking.  he'll be a 4 star.  5 star would be hilarious though..aggy would blow a gasket.

It was Gerry that said he would rise. All eyes will be on the Duncanville/North Shore game and solid showing against D1 talent will go a long way in bumping him up

40 minutes ago, utee94 said:

This was really the last cycle where they could do what they just did.

Why is the that?  Yeah, I’ll take your dirty 350k and expect you to match what UT/OU/Bama is offering on the clean front.   Also, the pinnacle you speak to looks pretty fucking good.  All time good, actually. 

Absolutely.  We're only seeing the tip of the icerberg for what NIL can do for Texas, while the ags are looking at the absolute pinnacle of what dirty bagmen can get you.  Every single recruiting cycle from now on, will see the diminished effects of the bagmen, and the growing capability of NIL.  This was really the last cycle where they could do what they just did.  Eventually the bags of cash will be so minimal compared to NIL, we'll end up seeing it get pretty close to disappearing.

I keep seeing people say NIL will make bagmen extinct, level the playing field etc...but I dont see how? I mean NIL still requires some level of time/effort on the part of the player, but with the bag game it's simply a matter of grabbing the Big Mac and tossing it aside to reveal the good stuff, and they can still make money on top of unreported cash via NIL. Sure it could make some recruits/parents think twice about taking bags if it could jeapordize future NIL deals, but it seemed pretty low risk before NIL, I dont see how the risk becomes any greater now?

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why is the that?  Yeah, I’ll take your dirty 350k and expect you to match what UT/OU/Bama is offering on the clean front.   Also, the pinnacle you speak to looks pretty fucking good.  All time good, actually. 

Because there aren't any programs that can actually afford to do that, other than Texas and a handful of others.   The ags sure as shit can't.

Edited by utee94

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A mod on 247 (not Roach or Harris) has a thread about Cam Williams ranking?  Incoming BOMC??

(The spoiler tags aren't showing up ... is that just for me??)

Cam Williams' Rating

Gabe Brooks

I know several people have wondered why we are lower on him than others. As far as who should get the ire, that's me. I'm the one making the call here, since he's a three-star guy in Texas.

Main reasons he's lower here than other outlets: he was 391 pounds in the spring. His testing is a concern and reflects in what we see on the field in what needs to improve. He has not cracked 5.1 in the shuttle and he's in the 8.9 range in the L drill. And while the 40 is not really much of a concern for linemen, IMO, he has not eclipsed the 6.0 threshold.

We don't have a verified arm measurement, but we do know the wingspan is 6-11. That's +6 relative to height. How much of that is body width? At +6, I tend to give somebody the benefit of the doubt. The basketball participation is good. Know folks like seeing him dunk in warmups, but a 6-5 18-year-old with a near-7-foot wingspan should be able to dunk in warmups, honestly.

I've talked with Mike about him at length. We think he's anywhere from 350-370 right now. He needs to drop more weight. His tape is solid but it obviously does not stand up to our highly-rated guys of similar size, such as Kiyaunta Goodwin or Tegra Tshabola. He is certainly a high-floor prospect, but his ceiling is a big question mark.

In these situations, my goal is always to follow the process/philosophy, which is trust the data. As a rankings council we are always working to improve that, and with 10 people in the room, that's a lot of cooks in the kitchen, and individuals naturally have a different perspective and personal eval process.

I think the situations where you pick and choose like "I know the data is not good, but I really like this guy" are where you get in trouble. Will there be cases where the five-year trajectory winds up proving you wrong? Of course. But my goal is to have a philosophy -- that is NFL Draft-oriented, of course -- and follow it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

WTH.  Did Limas take your girlfriend?

He won a freaking Super Bowl.

He’s 36 years old. THAT’S why he’s not “still in the NFL”.

Stop being obtuse.

He had a career 7 catches for 69 yards in the NFL. I was pleasantly shocked out of my fucking mind when he allegedly made that catch in the horse shoe.

Just now, ousux said:
45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I keep seeing people say NIL will make the bagmen extinct, level the playing field etc...but I dont see how? I mean NIL still requires some level of time/effort on the part of the player, but with the bag game it's simply a matter of grabbing the Big Mac and tossing it aside to reveal the good stuff, and they can still make money on top of unreported cash via NIL. Sure it could make some recruits/parents think twice about taking bags if it could jeapordize future NIL deals, but it seemed pretty low risk before NIL, I dont see how the risk becomes any greater now?

Well that's why I specifically said it would be pretty close to disappearing, not that it would be completely gone.  There could still be bidding wars for a handful the very bluest of blue chips, but nobody's handing huge bags to the linemen, and that's where structured NIL will completely turn the tables.

The total money distributed through legit NIL deals is going to dwarf the amounts that the dirty bagman programs can distribute, and they're not wealthy enough to keep up with a school like Texas either below or above the table.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

I keep seeing people say NIL will make bagmen extinct, level the playing field etc...but I dont see how?

I went and researched a bit this morning. Dredging back through CTJs posts, it makes sense. People aren’t going to want to fuck with black market money when a legal alternative is available. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The Johnston rumor is interesting since I believe a mod somewhere said that Malcolm Kelly would be interested in the WR job if it opened. Lets see if that happens in the next week once a Coleman decision is made and if Patterson takes a role and brings Kelly with him

For those that missed the Sark presser, his answer on Patterson was interesting. “We don’t know if we want him here, and we don’t even know if he wants to be here.” Ouch. I knew the introduction started with CDC but it’s clear that the staff hasn’t seen it so far as a great idea. 

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Because there aren't any programs that can actually afford to do that, other than Texas and a handful of others. 

Well, it appears aggy can.  Pretty sure there’s easily a dozen or so that can, probably your annual top 15.  What’s the rumors, 300k for a certain 5* WR? So for 2m you can potentially sign best class of all time.  I understand it’s a lot of $$$. It’s jack shit to someone who’s rich and never seen their team win.  This isn’t a one off. This will continue with them until SEC tells them to stop. If they think it’d be nice to have another “big” team compete, they’ll start to get the calls and we know where it goes from there. 

6 minutes ago, ousux said:

I keep seeing people say NIL will make bagmen extinct, level the playing field etc...but I dont see how? I mean NIL still requires some level of time/effort on the part of the player, but with the bag game it's simply a matter of grabbing the Big Mac and tossing it aside to reveal the good stuff, and they can still make money on top of unreported cash via NIL. Sure it could make some recruits/parents think twice about taking bags if it could jeapordize future NIL deals, but it seemed pretty low risk before NIL, I dont see how the risk becomes any greater now?

bagmen will never be extinct.  "trainers" and "uncles" with some pull on a kid can get the university a visit(the kid isn't going to be working NIL deals with 15 different schools,meaning alumni) and keep in a kids ear about so and so getting you to the NFL.  It just won't be worth near as much as it used to.

those guys are going to take a haircut...

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, LonghornLurker said:
I went and researched a bit this morning. Dredging back through CTJs posts, it makes sense. People aren’t going to want to fuck with black market money when a legal alternative is available. 

aggy arent people, confirmed.

so soylent green isn't aggy?

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For those that missed the Sark presser, his answer on Patterson was interesting. “We don’t know if we want him here, and we don’t even know if he wants to be here.” Ouch. I knew the introduction started with CDC but it’s clear that the staff hasn’t seen it so far as a great idea. 

Ehhh, I took it more as Sark trying to be clear that there was not an offer out or a deal in place already, in case it doesn't work out one side won't look like they shot the other down.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

yeah that was a weird response.  all he had to say was we haven't talked with Gary about a position(even if it is a lie).  maybe defending his coaching staff as he knows PK is taking a shit ton of fire.

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, it appears aggy can.  Pretty sure there’s easily a dozen or so that can, probably your annual top 15.  What’s the rumors, 300k for a certain 5* WR? So for 2m you can potentially sign best class of all time.  I understand it’s a lot of $$$. It’s jack shit to someone who’s rich and never seen their team win.  This isn’t a one off. This will continue with them until SEC tells them to stop. If they think it’d be nice to have another “big” team compete, they’ll start to get the calls and we know where it goes from there. 

Feel free to worry about it.  I'm not.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Feel free to worry about it.  I'm not.

I’m not worried about it, but I can certainly see where it’s going. They just drug their nuts across college footballs collective face, and the media are already sucking them off for what a great job they did.  I know rollercoaster blah, blah.  

Eta: just noticed I was in wrong thread. Apologies. Fuck aggy. Will take it to the fuck aggy thread. 

Edited by fattyflattie

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting