Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

48 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

2010 was a higher scored class and far fewer hits

I could never wrap my mind around Mack's class immediately following the national championship win. IIRC, that class was extremely weak considering we'd finally broken through the glass ceiling and won the whole goddamn thing. Mack got lucky with Colt and damn near won another one but perhaps we should've seen it coming in 2006 that there was a period of coasting ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Our sources tell us that his decision will come in the future. Also if note, his decision has not and will not happen in the past. 

it’s like the Steven Wright or Mitch hedberg line about here’s a picture of me when I was younger. Every picture of you is from when you were younger. 

I approve this joke

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I could never wrap my mind around Mack's class immediately following the national championship win. IIRC, that class was extremely weak considering we'd finally broken through the glass ceiling and won the whole goddamn thing. Mack got lucky with Colt and damn near won another one but perhaps we should've seen it coming in 2006 that there was a period of coasting ahead.

Texas had a pretty damn good class in 2006 right after the Rose Bowl. I remember players like Sergio Kindle, J’Marcus Webb, Vondrell McGee, Jevan Snead, Deon Beasley were huge nationally sought after players.  There were some high profile flameouts like Robert Joseph the armed robber and Buck Burnette’s racist election night outburst. Kindle was dogged by injuries but was still a good player, at the time he was considered Dallas’ best defender since Armstead. 

Lots of people bag on MB for “good kids from good families” but people forget that he got bagged on for a long time for character issues on his teams. Kinda reached a peak with Dre Jones and Robert Joseph’s armed robbery and a few other beyond the pale disasters and he got told to watch his step. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This isn’t occurring in a classroom. The ground is shifting on the way this market has functioned historically and it’s doing so in real time. Classroom gibberish and laboratory hypotheticals are useless when a dynamic macroeconomic market is being impacted by black swan changes. 

In short, NIL money will swamp bag money. Economic incentives for all parties are shifting rapidly. Human emotions are involved. Black markets will still exist after a clean and legitimate market emerges, but the participants will be filtered down to corner case level shit. Moonshine still has a trade network that avoids the IRS and gets harassed and tracked by local and federal authorities, but not a fucking one of us on this giant board is buying our liquor from a shack at the end of a dark road in rural Tennessee. You and I go to Spec’s or the like, charge our purchase on credit and debit cards that our banks are aware of, and say hi to the random neighbor that we see while walking out the front door. 

Engaging in this debate with frequency and attempting to guide it in some form is a tedious fool’s errand and not advancing the discussion topic of this thread at this point. 

I’m at the point where I’ll let the naysayers and know-nothings vapidly wax on and handwring and dismiss when it comes to bag game potency vs NIL into the future. 

So far, this year, I’ve been told:

1) NIL won’t matter. 

2) NIL won’t matter for 2022. 

3) Money for NIL won’t be there. 

4) Players and recruits will not care about NIL money until years from now. 

5) Texas fans and boosters are sitting on their hands. 

6) Bag games will not be impacted any time soon by NIL. 

Every single one of those premises has been hilariously shit on by real world dynamics in real time. The rest of the bag game debate will be laughed at in the future when we look backwards as well. 

ATM was lucky on their timing. They chose to go really big this cycle, which I have been telling this board for 11 months, and all of the counter possibilities couldn’t be unlocked after the world changed on July 1 in time to stymie their efforts. Every cycle going forward is going to look more and more different though. 

Do you think our university would allow us to do something like Prime did with Travis Hunter? Have his NIL deal announced same day as his LOI is submitted to the university? That is another avenue to weaponize NIL and use to great benefit to close on recruits and lock them down.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, MH BEVO said:

With the early signing period ending tomorrow I am stoked to have a top 5 class with a heavy emphasis on BEEF. Yes, there are some targets left but it seems the next step for Sark and Co. is to bring in some experience at positions of need. It sounds like we have some irons in the fire at DB. Still need OL, WR, and LB. 
I know we just signed at ton of oline but no way we can start 5 true freshman. So 2 here?

From the sound of it Sark isn’t interested in having 15 scholarship WR. Another 2?

LB I have no idea how to go about LB. I don’t have a good sense for what the staffs thoughts are there. I know they overhauled the shit out of the position last offseason. 

Are we looking at 8-9 transfers?

Most likely not that many.

0-1 OL (they signed a fleet of HS OL and don't seem super enthused about what's in the portal. The most hyped portal OLs last year kind of sucked.)

1-2 DB (Watts + maybe a can't-miss guy like Isheem Young)

1-2 WR (mystery portal player #1 + maybe a can't miss type)

LB who the fuck knows? Seems like we need one. Maybe the Washington JAG.

Always is the chance we jump on a good player at any position who pops up.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Abor is in play, do we pursue Douglas, and then whether the post-NSD1 reset means any new offers go out.

Find out soon - Kendrick Law
Waiting for Announcement - LTG, Greene
February Potential - Devon Campbell, Jacoby Matthews, Harold Perkins(LOL), Omari Abor

Who Knows - Terrance Gibbs, Caleb Douglas

Not Offered but interesting name that hasn't signed - DJ Allen

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Law is signing sometime today at ceremony at Captain Shreve, I think there is more info in this article but it's only for subscribers: https://www.shreveporttimes.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shreveporttimes.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhigh-school%2Ffootball%2F2021%2F12%2F14%2Flatest-football-recruiting-landry-lyddy-kendrick-law-jr-decoldest-crawford%2F6457511001%2F

I think we will know everything we need to know if any Texas folks are at the ceremony.

Recent Followers: https://en.whotwi.com/KendrickLaw2/friends

image.thumb.png.4cab995aa776e302b6e1278a02ad8c24.png

Just now, NoName said:

Law is signing sometime today at ceremony at Captain Shreve, I think there is more info in this article but it's only for subscribers: https://www.shreveporttimes.com/restricted/?return=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shreveporttimes.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhigh-school%2Ffootball%2F2021%2F12%2F14%2Flatest-football-recruiting-landry-lyddy-kendrick-law-jr-decoldest-crawford%2F6457511001%2F

I think we will know everything we need to know if any Texas folks are at the ceremony.

Recent Followers: https://en.whotwi.com/KendrickLaw2/friends

image.thumb.png.4cab995aa776e302b6e1278a02ad8c24.png

Shark Tank Writing GIF

What time is his announcement supposed to be?

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Do you think our university would allow us to do something like Prime did with Travis Hunter? Have his NIL deal announced same day as his LOI is submitted to the university? That is another avenue to weaponize NIL and use to great benefit to close on recruits and lock them down.

No cause that’s illegal. You can’t give a kid an NIL deal till they enroll in the school. You probably saw that 1.5 million tweet that barstool was giving him supposedly. That was from a fake Adam Schefter account.

Also the NIL can not be used as an inducement for a recruit, the fastest way to run afoul of these rules is to do that. NIL is not difficult if you know what you’re doing, for instance my dumb brain has done it on a massive scale already. But we have no interest in inducing recruits, we understand what is permissible and we have a smart team that ensures we stay within the bounds of the NIL. Someone eventually is going to fuck around and find out. That will not be us 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Also the NIL can not be used as an inducement for a recruit

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Do all NIL deals have to go through the school? What if a Kombucha company, in this example, wanted to endorse a recruit as soon as they graduated high school and prior to enrolling in the spring?

• Haha 5

With Armani choosing Baylor is Decoldest a take now? I see he is set to sign today at 10am.

Seems like there isn't much information out there for that position group aside from potential transfer that would be certified starter. 

Announcement times

Decoldest - 10am

Law - around 3pm

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

With Armani choosing Baylor is Decoldest a take now? I see he is set to sign today at 10am.

Seems like there isn't much information out there for that position group aside from potential transfer that would be certified starter. 

Announcement times

Decoldest - 10am

Law - around 3pm

Whats the deal with DJ Allen - did we ever recruit him?  I don't see a Texas offer on his 247 page.  He hasn't signed yet - maybe thats someone they re-engage for an NSD2 signing?

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

Who are the aggy bag financiers?

Wonder how big a hit donations to their academic side takes, if any..

None....

They're also investing another 200m into football/athletic facilities after all they did when they remodeled about 5-6 years ago...

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-regents-approve-adding-205-million-in-athletics-renovations-to-budget/article_b68b443e-48c3-11ec-b808-b7174861cd05.html

The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents will consider enhancements to several athletic...

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

Big time receiver/defensive back Kendrick Law of Captain Shreve high school in Shreveport, La., is expected to announce his college decision at 3 p.m. today and then sign with that program.

Texas, Alabama and LSU are thought to be the finalists. Florida State also made a run but they have faded.

Today is the last day recruits can sign with a school in the early signing period.

The next signing period opens Feb. 2, the first Wednesday in February.

While many thought Mission Hills, Calif., safety Larry Turner-Gooden would be signing with a school this week, Inside Texas has learned that Turner-Gooden may delay that decision.

Why?

Because he can, and to no ill-effect. Turner is a mid-term enrollee. So he can simply announce his decision publicly as expected on Jan. 8 at the All-American and then enroll at the school of his choice the following week.

In other words, Turner-Gooden can continue to vet schools and consider his options through the winter break, unlike other recruits who might sign now and then announce publicly during an all-star game.

We’re still tracking the decisions of blue chip linemen Earnest Greene and Devon Campbell.

Those two are both amazing recruits. Either or both could be day one starters. They are that talented.

If you haven’t seen Devon Campbell play basketball at his size, then you may not appreciate just how fluid of an athlete he is. I’ll leave a link below for you to watch.

Similarly, if you haven’t watched Greene’s senior highlight tape, I implore you to do so. He moves people with a combination of brute force, technique and a surprising quickness. He, in short, is an absolute beast. I’m leaving a link to his senior highlight tape below as well.

Campbell is expected to announce his decision on February, while Greene is expected to sign this week and announce his pick at a national high school all-star game, the same one as Turner-Gooden, on Jan. 8.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fwiw (not much) here is the 247 list of Texas offers who haven’t signed yet:

RB: Citizen, Barnes, Gibbs, Gatson, Thompson.  Citizen, Gibbs, and Gatson are the only ones I’ve seen rumored as actually pursued, and none of those were recent.

WR: Coleman, McMillan, Williams, Wilson, Douglas.  Douglas is the only one I’ve seen mentioned recently.  Wilson used to work out with Ewers.

TE: Skinner.  Haven’t seen anything here.

OT: Conerly.  Nothing.

CB: Harris, Jackson, Johnson, Lewis.  Harris is likely Aggie, Lewis might grey/blueshirt 

S: Mathews, LTG.  Mathew’s is a Feb signee in play, LTG today.

Ath: Law, Boardingham.  Law today.

IOL: Campbell, Greene.  Greene this week, Campbell Feb.

LB: Perkins, Dudley, Snelling.  Perkins is Feb signed likely to A&M, not sure if Dudley is still being pursued.

edge: Abor, Moss.  Abor Feb.

DL: Kanu, Wilson, Halton, McKenzie, Monette.  Haven’t seen anything on any of those guys.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Whats the deal with DJ Allen - did we ever recruit him?  I don't see a Texas offer on his 247 page.  He hasn't signed yet - maybe thats someone they re-engage for an NSD2 signing?

If we could get Quentin Johnston (no clue on those odds), I'd be ok with letting TCU replace him with Allen. But then, whynotboth.gif.... 

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

None....

They're also investing another 200m into football/athletic facilities after all they did when they remodeled about 5-6 years ago...

https://theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-regents-to-consider-adding-205-million-in-athletics-renovations-to-budget/article_f077be5a-47d5-11ec-b1a1-d30d64e81b8b.html

No remodel and down size for the Hall of Champions? Shame. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, quigley said:

I was very pleasantly surprised (is this where you say "gruntled") by the OU-UT battle for Campbell as I thought he was a UT lock.

Is he playing this for drama or is there a real chance UT could blow this?

@golfclap @texifornia @Barbacoa

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

Real chance. He's leaning UT, and he's not dramatic, he's had just enough nagging doubt throughout not to pick a side.

Sounds like his family might be sick of the (external) drama, though, so I doubt there'll be much noise until he just up and signs.

Also, We're Texas™, of course we could blow this.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This isn’t occurring in a classroom. The ground is shifting on the way this market has functioned historically and it’s doing so in real time. Classroom gibberish and laboratory hypotheticals are useless when a dynamic macroeconomic market is being impacted by black swan changes. 

In short, NIL money will swamp bag money. Economic incentives for all parties are shifting rapidly. Human emotions are involved. Black markets will still exist after a clean and legitimate market emerges, but the participants will be filtered down to corner case level shit. Moonshine still has a trade network that avoids the IRS and gets harassed and tracked by local and federal authorities, but not a fucking one of us on this giant board is buying our liquor from a shack at the end of a dark road in rural Tennessee. You and I go to Spec’s or the like, charge our purchase on credit and debit cards that our banks are aware of, and say hi to the random neighbor that we see while walking out the front door. 

Engaging in this debate with frequency and attempting to guide it in some form is a tedious fool’s errand and not advancing the discussion topic of this thread at this point. 

I’m at the point where I’ll let the naysayers and know-nothings vapidly wax on and handwring and dismiss when it comes to bag game potency vs NIL into the future. 

So far, this year, I’ve been told:

1) NIL won’t matter. 

2) NIL won’t matter for 2022. 

3) Money for NIL won’t be there. 

4) Players and recruits will not care about NIL money until years from now. 

5) Texas fans and boosters are sitting on their hands. 

6) Bag games will not be impacted any time soon by NIL. 

Every single one of those premises has been hilariously shit on by real world dynamics in real time. The rest of the bag game debate will be laughed at in the future when we look backwards as well. 

ATM was lucky on their timing. They chose to go really big this cycle, which I have been telling this board for 11 months, and all of the counter possibilities couldn’t be unlocked after the world changed on July 1 in time to stymie their efforts. Every cycle going forward is going to look more and more different though. 

Seems the only problem NIL isn't able to address is kids with struggling families who can't / won't wait a year or two for cash in their pockets. It's one thing to say you'll get 150k a year in two years and another to say here's 300k right now plus more later. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Do all NIL deals have to go through the school? What if a Kombucha company, in this example, wanted to endorse a recruit as soon as they graduated high school and prior to enrolling in the spring?

Yes. It’s in the state law that all deals must go through the school. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting