Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Chad Simmons

Director of Recruiting

Gerry and I have conversed on this one quite a bit the last 24 hours, and this is what I have as of early Friday morning.

- It is Georgia of Texas when it comes out Jan. 8 at the AA game.

- Bama was the favorite a week ago based on my sources, and I still believe that. At that time, it was Bama over Georgia with Texas hanging around.

- Bama faded. Georgia was still there. And Texas continued to close the gap and pick up some momentum behind the scenes.

- This has now become a Georgia-Texas battle late.

- I am not sure if Greene has sent his LOI in yet, but he will today at some point if he didn't overnight. Based on what I was told by a source late Thursday was, "it will be done by lunch Friday". On that note, as checking again this morning, I like Georgia's chances. I have two sources that feel good about Georgia, so we will see. I am sure stuff will leak out in the coming days after he signs, but at this point, I am staying with my Georgia prediction for Greene based on what I am hearing.

- Flood has done a heck of a job here IMO. A week ago, I was not even hearing Texas was a real threat to Bama/Georgia, so this one got interesting really fast with the Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

No remodel and down size for the Hall of Champions? Shame. 

They need a place for their “Crootin’ Trophy”.

It’s fun to fuck with aggys.  Ask them this:  “What was Jimbo’s record the year after he had the #1 recruiting class at FSU?”

The look, the shock and the “don’t care, this class is better and we got Jimbo” is classic agroid.

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

this is a pretty dumb statement. 350 under the table all day, Huh? What if it’s 150 a year for 5 years, but you pay taxes versus 350? Or do 350k under the table versus 500 over. Which are you still picking smart guy?

This is a pretty dumb response. Sure, let’s just change the paradigm to meet your agenda . . . 

The original post is $350k under the table or $350k legitimately through NIL. One is in brown bag hidden from Uncle Sam, one is not.

So your “benefactor” is now giving $500k instead of $350k to cover taxes for the beneficiary? That’s quite the change.

Don’t make it harder than it needs to be . . . 

From a donor perspective, a charitable donation is a great tax write-off and a win-win - donate money to a cause, get a write off, influence a recruit.

From a recruit perspective - some of who do not come from great backgrounds - giving them a true $350k (and not paying any taxes) is quite different than a taxed $350k.

It’s the simple reason you see players on pro teams in California complain about salary caps versus teams in Texas - state income tax is a bitch (on top of federal).

You’ll understand some day when you make enough to pay a significant amount in taxes (and then you’ll try and find every way to reduce that amount with your friendly JD, CPA buddy).

Edited by CravenTaters
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

LB who the fuck knows? Seems like we need one. Maybe the Washington JAG.

More worried about LB than WR tbh. One take is rehabbing a torn labrum, the other is an edge rusher we're moving to LB? Not very convincing, especially given Choate's fruitless gallivanting in Hawaii. And we didn't put up much of a fight for two pretty good transfer portal options who ended up at Michigan State and Oklahoma State. It's going to become a secretary's dilemma because there is no NSD for portal transfers.

I'm pretty high on Jaylan Ford, and if Overshown ever figures out his run fits they could make a good tandem next season. But Gbenda is a JAG and Brockermeyer was so dismal this year. We need better.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, satyanash said:

More worried about LB than WR tbh. One take is rehabbing a torn labrum, the other is an edge rusher we're moving to LB? Not very convincing, especially given Choate's fruitless gallivanting in Hawaii. And we didn't put up much of a fight for two pretty good transfer portal options who ended up at Michigan State and Oklahoma State. It's going to become a secretary's dilemma because there is no NSD for portal transfers.

I'm pretty high on Jaylan Ford, and if Overshown ever figures out his run fits they could make a good tandem next season. But Glenda is a JAG and Brockermeyer was so dismal this year. 

Both units have one really good player (X at WR, DMO at LB) and a handful of guys who look fine on a 2 deep but aren’t star players.  But if Whittington could be counted on to stay healthy I like the look of the WR unit.  Washington, Dixon, and Thompson all project to be great 2nd stringers next season.  Put another way, there are no WR who frustrate me as much as Brockermeyer does at LB.  Texas needs to add however they can to ensure the Brockermeyer is no higher than 4th in the LB unit rankings.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Both units have one really good player (X at WR, DMO at LB) and a handful of guys who look fine on a 2 deep but aren’t star players.  But if Whittington could be counted on to stay healthy I like the look of the WR unit.  Washington, Dixon, and Thompson all project to be great 2nd stringers next season.  Put another way, there are no WR who frustrate me as much as Brockermeyer does at LB.  Texas needs to add however they can to ensure the Brockermeyer is no higher than 4th in the LB unit rankings.

The WR room is dogshit, the linebacker room is dog shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CravenTaters said:

This is a pretty dumb response. Sure, let’s just change the paradigm to meet your agenda . . . 

The original post is $350k under the table or $350k legitimately through NIL. One is in brown bag hidden from Uncle Sam, one is not.

So your “benefactor” is now giving $500k instead of $350k to cover taxes for the beneficiary? That’s quite the change.

Don’t make it harder than it needs to be . . . 

From a donor perspective, a charitable donation is a great tax write-off and a win-win - donate money to a cause, get a write off, influence a recruit.

From a recruit perspective - some of who do not come from great backgrounds - giving them a true $350k (and not paying any taxes) is quite different than a taxed $350k.

It’s the simple reason you see players on pro teams in California complain about salary caps versus teams in Texas - state income tax is a bitch (on top of federal).

You’ll understand some day when you make enough to pay a significant amount in taxes (and then you’ll try and find every way to reduce that amount with your friendly JD, CPA buddy).

Oh, I see. I don’t think like you so I must be poor. A classic response. 

i didn’t change the paradigm. I understand the paradigm a lot better than you. The money is going to be there and greater then you can imagine for these kids. 

This post is showing your ass in ways that can only come from literally not regularly reading this board. Have fun buddy. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go borrow a paper cup so I can panhandle for some change so I might then have two nickels to rub together. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Do you think our university would allow us to do something like Prime did with Travis Hunter? Have his NIL deal announced same day as his LOI is submitted to the university? That is another avenue to weaponize NIL and use to great benefit to close on recruits and lock them down.

Edit: Too early for me to get in to this deeper. Short answer: no.

14 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

They need a place for their “Crootin’ Trophy”.

It’s fun to fuck with aggys.  Ask them this:  “What was Jimbo’s record the year after he had the #1 recruiting class at FSU?”

The look, the shock and the “don’t care, this class is better and we got Jimbo” is classic agroid.

Ya but the big part of his downfall at FSU was that those three top 3 classes were loaded along the DL, secondary and TE while he completely mismanaged The OL.   Big difference…. Ohh.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

No cause that’s illegal. You can’t give a kid an NIL deal till they enroll in the school. You probably saw that 1.5 million tweet that barstool was giving him supposedly. That was from a fake Adam Schefter account.

Also the NIL can not be used as an inducement for a recruit, the fastest way to run afoul of these rules is to do that. NIL is not difficult if you know what you’re doing, for instance my dumb brain has done it on a massive scale already. But we have no interest in inducing recruits, we understand what is permissible and we have a smart team that ensures we stay within the bounds of the NIL. Someone eventually is going to fuck around and find out. That will not be us 

How does HWH avoid this if its allocated ahead of time for every O-lineman?

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Moonshine still has a trade network that avoids the IRS and gets harassed and tracked by local and federal authorities, but not a fucking one of us on this giant board is buying our liquor from a shack at the end of a dark road in rural Tennessee. You and I go to Spec’s or the like, charge our purchase on credit and debit cards that our banks are aware of, and say hi to the random neighbor that we see while walking out the front door. 

You are clearly not SEC ready. 

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Ya but the big part of his downfall at FSU was that those three top 3 classes were loaded along the DL, secondary and TE while he completely mismanaged The OL.   Big difference…. Ohh.

Ummmmm huh.  Jimbo has a pattern.  Won’t be long until he’s in the corner by himself watching those DL take turns on his new chick 

38 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm pretty high on Jaylan Ford, and if Overshown ever figures out his run fits they could make a good tandem next season. But Gbenda is a JAG and Brockermeyer was so dismal this year. We need better.

47 can't see the field next year. He was awful. Never seen someone just accept so many blocks and be so out of position constantly. 

5 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

How does HWH avoid this if its allocated ahead of time for every O-lineman?

They don't get it until they get to campus and officially join the team, correct? I figure it's just like them knowing there's an athletic cafeteria or tutoring available to the players but they don't get to participate until they move into the dorm and officially join the team. (These are admittedly bad examples but I'm rolling on about 4.5 hours of sleep this AM.)

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I see. I don’t think like you so I must be poor. A classic response. 

i didn’t change the paradigm. I understand the paradigm a lot better than you. The money is going to be there and greater then you can imagine for these kids. 

This post is showing your ass in ways that can only come from literally not regularly reading this board. Have fun buddy. Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go borrow a paper cup so I can panhandle for some change so I might then have two nickels to rub together. 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This isn’t occurring in a classroom. The ground is shifting on the way this market has functioned historically and it’s doing so in real time. Classroom gibberish and laboratory hypotheticals are useless when a dynamic macroeconomic market is being impacted by black swan changes. 

In short, NIL money will swamp bag money. Economic incentives for all parties are shifting rapidly. Human emotions are involved. Black markets will still exist after a clean and legitimate market emerges, but the participants will be filtered down to corner case level shit. Moonshine still has a trade network that avoids the IRS and gets harassed and tracked by local and federal authorities, but not a fucking one of us on this giant board is buying our liquor from a shack at the end of a dark road in rural Tennessee. You and I go to Spec’s or the like, charge our purchase on credit and debit cards that our banks are aware of, and say hi to the random neighbor that we see while walking out the front door. 

Engaging in this debate with frequency and attempting to guide it in some form is a tedious fool’s errand and not advancing the discussion topic of this thread at this point. 

I’m at the point where I’ll let the naysayers and know-nothings vapidly wax on and handwring and dismiss when it comes to bag game potency vs NIL into the future. 

So far, this year, I’ve been told:

1) NIL won’t matter. 

2) NIL won’t matter for 2022. 

3) Money for NIL won’t be there. 

4) Players and recruits will not care about NIL money until years from now. 

5) Texas fans and boosters are sitting on their hands. 

6) Bag games will not be impacted any time soon by NIL. 

Every single one of those premises has been hilariously shit on by real world dynamics in real time. The rest of the bag game debate will be laughed at in the future when we look backwards as well. 

ATM was lucky on their timing. They chose to go really big this cycle, which I have been telling this board for 11 months, and all of the counter possibilities couldn’t be unlocked after the world changed on July 1 in time to stymie their efforts. Every cycle going forward is going to look more and more different though. 

Just to summarize what he’s saying, Texas will be paying in Moonshine going forward.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Evan Stewart is a fucking moron for going to TAMU and taking a bag. It's a bad football decision and it's an even worse financial decision. That doesn't mean we wouldn't take him in a heartbeat. 

Agreed with this.  His decision is asinine and short sided. His SM would be bigger in Austin than CS.  But, his trainers needed that bag TODAY.  He will get like 25 catches next year and be looking to portal after 2.  Between him a Durex boy next year, they will have 10 stars ️ and 40 catches.  

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

Evan Stewart is a fucking moron for going to TAMU and taking a bag. It's a bad football decision and it's an even worse financial decision. 

I would expect that the actual recipient of the bag in question is the one who made the decision for him.

Or, he's just stupid, in which case A&M suits him.

See ya in the portal in 2023, Evan!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TXRed said:

What happened with Kevin Coleman? Is it a mental eval thing or just not interested in coming here? I know he’s dropped some and on3 seems pretty down on him, but he’s still the 4th ranked receiver in the 247 composite. 

He's just not nearly as good as his ranking. For a high 4-star, this is a brutal "official" 247 eval:

Polished and competitive, which can lead to early impact at the next level and a potential career after college.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

With Burton saying Campbell is “announcing” in February instead of “selecting” in February, I’m just going to go ahead and read way too much into that and put Campbell into the calculator. 

I believe his tweet said that said he would announce and sign on Feb 3. I am quite sure that timeline will get moved up, especially since he is only down to 2 schools, but for now that is the narrative.  

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I personally think DMO is the most over-rated player on the team. He is a really talented, but he is just not very good at LB. He constant falls for any kind of eye candy. He is good when he is kept clean and can see ball, chase ball, but honestly most LBs are pretty good in that scenario. He just doesnt do LB things well and is slow to recognize 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting